Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

28 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I don't want war.  I'm just noting that the events in the Gulf are far more newsworthy and important than flippant comments from Trump.  I think Iran might be getting really fucking tired of how it's being treated by the US and is beginning to take that frustration out on our salafist friends.  

The first thing I saw on the news this morning was the attack on the tankers.  The second thing I saw was Trump's comments.  You really just like to make stuff up in order to justify criticizing those who criticize Trump.  The news can talk about both issues, which is what they are doing.  

Also, it is a really big deal when a President who has been accused of working with foreign powers interested in undermining our elections says on TV that he thinks its okay to work with foreign powers interested in undermining our elections.  To say that an attack on a few tankers is more newsworthy than the President of the United States telling everyone that he would happily violate the law and arguably commit treason in order to be re-elected is a pretty big fucking deal.  But you keep trying to minimize Trump's statements.  

• Like 4

Um, hi all.

I've been at the Happiest Place on Earth™ since early last Wednesday.  During that time, I've not bothered to look at news. Didn't watch tv, look at the Twitters, whatever. I've been truly happy.  Well, aside from Disney sticker shock, but that was understood long before the trip.

I get out laptop half an hour or so this morning to catch up, and wowza.  

The President never ceases to amaze.

Carry on everyone.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

And Trump is not only more morally bankrupt but has no soul. You treat his comments like they’re entertainment. They do have consequences. 

Exactly. His huge crowds in the 2016 campaign were bored when he rarely talked about policy but they were laughing an nodding to each other with the stupid one liners Lock Her Up, Mexico Will Pay for the Wall, The Wall Just Got Taller, etc. 

How far we have fallen as a country to accept and support such a dotard to be president. 

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The first thing I saw on the news this morning was the attack on the tankers.  The second thing I saw was Trump's comments.  You really just like to make stuff up in order to justify criticizing those who criticize Trump.  The news can talk about both issues, which is what they are doing.  

Also, it is a really big deal when a President who has been accused of working with foreign powers interested in undermining our elections says on TV that he thinks its okay to work with foreign powers interested in undermining our elections.  To say that an attack on a few tankers is more newsworthy than the President of the United States telling everyone that he would happily violate the law and arguably commit treason in order to be re-elected is a pretty big fucking deal.  But you keep trying to minimize Trump's statements.  

When I flipped through the channels this morning it was almost all Trump shit.  I would wager money that his comments will receive far more airtime than the tanker incident, if that stuff were tracked by someone (maybe it is?).  The tanker incident is a much bigger deal because absolutely nothing material will result from Trump's comments - it's just fucking noise - whereas the tanker incident will be used as a pretext by the US for increased sanctions or something even worse, which will absolutely have a material effect for many people.  

LMAO -- "Trump's admission that he'd happily work with our enemies to get reelected is less important than attacks on tankers because, well, because the American populace is half full of traitors and half full of people who would ordinarily care but are so fucking beat down by traitors like me that they can't even muster the will to care any more.  Advantage, A&M."

Fuck you, Fozzz.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

But they mostly did fight. Close to 16 million American men served during WW2 out of a total of 65 million men altogether.  Of that 65 million, there were probably only 20 million that were 18 to 30 years old.  We have never even come close to that participation rate for other wars. 

For comparison, 8.7 million out of 100 million total men served during Vietnam

I'm not diminishing the courage of the men who did fight or even those who wanted to fight, but the didn't all fight the war. Link

More than 16 million Americans served in the armed forces during the war. Fewer than a million ever saw serious combat. The infantry represented just 14 percent of the troops overseas.

I'm truly in awe of the men who fought that war, particularly the green hell of the Pacific Theater.

The Greatest Generation also ran our foreign policy in the Western Hemisphere and other parts of the world where the freedom-fighter Americans set up despots and death squads.

As for war, they cooked up the whole Viet Nam debacle. Here are some facts about that:

The average infantryman in Vietnam saw about 240 days of combat in one year thanks to the mobility of the helicopter. One out of every 10 Americans who served in Vietnam was a casualty. 58,148 were killed and 304,000 wounded out of 2.7 million who served.

2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. Approximately 70% of those killed in Vietnam were volunteers.

I personally get no credit for their bravery and sacrifice in a foolish cause.

To be clear, I'm not ragging on the WWII generation. I'm just saying that, to me, it's sort of silly to think that people vary that much from generation to generation. Switch the boomer and the WWII humans and you get the same results in each slice of history.

And to keep this relevant, Donald Trump is a disgrace to all generations now living in America. 

I'll abandon this argument now. Best wishes to all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

People say they are also reptiles

A biologist came up to me. Big strong fella. Hairy arms. Strong. Big. Tears are just streaming down his face. He hugs me and says he can't believe what I'm doing for the reptiles. He loves turtles, and he can't believe how great they're doing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

When I flipped through the channels this morning it was almost all Trump shit.  I would wager money that his comments will receive far more airtime than the tanker incident, if that stuff were tracked by someone (maybe it is?).  The tanker incident is a much bigger deal because absolutely nothing material will result from Trump's comments - it's just fucking noise - whereas the tanker incident will be used as a pretext by the US for increased sanctions or something even worse, which will absolutely have a material effect for many people.  

CNN, MSNBC, etc. know he’s watching them constantly throughout the day.  

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not diminishing the courage of the men who did fight or even those who wanted to fight, but the didn't all fight the war. Link

I'm truly in awe of the men who fought that war, particularly the green hell of the Pacific Theater.

The Greatest Generation also ran our foreign policy in the Western Hemisphere and other parts of the world where the freedom-fighter Americans set up despots and death squads.

As for war, they cooked up the whole Viet Nam debacle. Here are some facts about that:

To be clear, I'm not ragging on the WWII generation. I'm just saying that, to me, it's sort of silly to think that people vary that much from generation to generation. Switch the boomer and the WWII humans and you get the same results in each slice of history.

And to keep this relevant, Donald Trump is a disgrace to all generations now living in America. 

Had he been a little bit older, Donald would have absolutely dodged WW2 like he did Vietnam.  His dad didn't serve either.  He was too busy marching in Klan parades, although he was a little bit old for WW2 anyway.

I also see no problem for celebrating the guys that kept the boat engines going just as much as the guys that got off the boat on some island with a gun in their hands.  War is a multi faceted operation.  Plus a lot of those guys are still at the bottom of the Pacific.  You didn't have to be in the infantry or the marines to die in WW2.

Edited by FondrenRoad

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Had he been a little bit older, Donald would have absolutely dodged WW2 like he did Vietnam.  His dad didn't serve either.  He was too busy marching in Klan parades, although he was a little bit old for WW2 anyway.

He wasn't a big fan of the Viet Nam war. He said that on the TV.

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's not that one generation consists of inherently different humans than another.  It's that people are shaped by the culture and events of their time in similar ways.   The Greatest Generation, speaking very broadly, came of age during the privation of the Depression and then fought WW2.  Even those who didn't fight the war were affected by those events on the home front.   Baby Boomers came of age during a period of prosperity and possibility that instilled a deep sense of entitlement.   Many fought in Vietnam, but many went the opposite direction of self-indulgence (and I'm not criticizing that, I would have gone that way too).   Both generations made plenty of mistakes as they got older and took over our government, but it seems to me that there are broad differences in their approaches.   As I see it, the Greatest Generation viewed government as a force for moral and social good (even as they made many bad judgments about what would accomplish that).   The Boomers viewed government as a means for improving their own lives, either by giving themselves more things or taking fewer things from them.   Plenty of exceptions, of course, I'm just generalizing. 

Switch the Boomer humans and their parents in time and they would indeed have done what the other did, because human nature is universal.  But I don't think it's at all silly to conclude that the humans of one generation actually turned out differently than those of another, because people are more than just their genetic prédispositions.  They are also products of their environment. 

not sure if we've covered "reaction" to his bullshit from "his side" but lindsey graham in an interview called it "a mistake".  not that he made a mistake, but he didn't like what trump said.  rare to see graham take the other side.

here's the ridiculous contortion offered by fox news/hannity, santorum, and more...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-2020-dirt-fox-news-rick-santorum_n_5d01ed6ee4b0304a1209cf7d

i mean, wow.  not unexpected, but still.  wow.

So the GOP defense for Trump saying he would accept dirt on an election opponent without telling the FBI is that his opponents financed the Steele dossier and turned it over to... the FBI? 

That doesn't make any sense even if we ignore the significant and material differences between the two scenarios. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

So the GOP defense for Trump saying he would accept dirt on an election opponent without telling the FBI is that his opponents financed the Steele dossier and turned it over to... the FBI? 

That doesn't make any sense even if we ignore the significant and material differences between the two scenarios. 

The FBI did two things with it. Deemed it unverified and also used it to obtain FISA warrants to surveil a campaign.

Do suggest Trump should do the same against his opponents during this election cycle?

• Fuck You 6

When you're on the run, it's important to throw up as much NOISE NOISE NOISE as possible to confuse the issue and give you more time to run.

It's like Jerry dropping a bunch of tacks on the ground when being chased by Tom. This has always been the Trump approach to everything. Because everything he does is shady, immoral, and/or criminal. 

• Like 2

2020 version is Steele...

Trump is told that Joe Biden’s son worked with Russians. Russians also say the have dirt on Biden from hotel stays in Russia.  Pro-Trump FBI agents submit for warrants. Trump secretly surveil on Biden campaign. 

We cool with this?

• Fuck You 12

2 minutes ago, Enfield said:

The FBI did two things with it. Deemed it unverified and also used it to obtain FISA warrants to surveil a campaign.

Do suggest Trump should do the same against his opponents during this election cycle?

I suggest that Trump contact the FBI if any foreign government seeks to give him dirt on an election opponent.   And I expect the FBI to respond in a manner that is legal and consistent with agency policy and practice.  No more, no less. 

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I'm not making any kind of normative judgment here.  I'm just saying, for instance, you think someone as morally bankrupt as Hillary would be above doing something like that?  I kinda doubt it.  

Someday maybe we can hope a president is judged by something higher than the lowest common denominator.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I suggest that Trump contact the FBI if any foreign government seeks to give him dirt on an election opponent.   And I expect the FBI to respond in a manner that is legal and consistent with agency policy and practice.  No more, no less. 

I agree. The precedence is to use it convince a court to allow your administration to surveil your opponents campaign. He should take full advantage of that just like Obama administrators did. 

As well, he should do just like what was done to him. Provide the dirt to the FBI but also get it out in the press like the Steele Dossier was.  

Edited by Enfield
  • Fuck You 16

7 minutes ago, Enfield said:

Trump is told that Joe Biden’s son worked with Russians. Russians also say the have dirt on Biden from hotel stays in Russia.  Pro-Trump FBI agents submit for warrants. Trump secretly surveil on Biden campaign. 

We cool with this?

What does Trump give the Russians in return for the dirt ?

6 minutes ago, Enfield said:

We cool with this?

Trump is told? So this would all be based on his word? That and a claim by the Russians?

That's as close to a groundless accusation as you can get. Not cool with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enfield said:

I agree. The precedence is to use it convince a court to allow your administration to surveil your opponents campaign. He should take full advantage of that just like Obama administrators did. 

As well, he should do just like what was done to him. Provide the dirt to the FBI but also get it out in the press like the Steele Dossier was.  

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

giphy.gif

Yea, he kind of showed his cards there.