Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

So literally the Democratic position for the last month. Eight hundred thousand people went without paychecks for a month for no reason. And I’m fairly certain the only reason they’re voting on it now is because Trump wants his state of the union in the House.

Will he have the courage to sign it when the Furies start up again?

10 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

So literally the Democratic position for the last month. Eight hundred thousand people went without paychecks for a month for no reason. And I’m fairly certain the only reason they’re voting on it now is because Trump wants his state of the union in the House.

I think this is correct..... the shutdown only ends for 2 weeks.  In that window, Trump would give the SOTU where he begs for the wall, and then on Feb 8th, the stand off would be back on.  

If I'm Pelosi, I would wait for the government to get turned back on and then re-invite Donald..... on February 19th, provided the government is still open.

Also....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It is a true pleasure watching Nancy Pelosi run this White House through the ringer.

Lol. It is. It really is.

Pelosi kind of bugged me a bit last time she was speaker, but she's doing a great job so far, and admittedly it's not been long. 

Keep up the good work, Madam Speaker.

40 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If they vote Clean CR, and none of this is ever mentioned again, Trump will lose every state next year.  Art of the Deal.

Nah, Trump will declare victory and say he got Mexico to pay for the wall which is in the final stages of construction.

His supporters will believe him.

58 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Will he have the courage to sign it when the Furies start up again?

Does he have the courage to risk a veto override?  That would be the ultimate in humiliating Trump.   

And it would be followed by 18 months of him campaigning against those Republicans.  That wouldn’t be bad, would keep him out of the h and away from making policy decisions.  

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Actually he has a lot to lose.  He’s been telling his base how the GOP is his party and everybody is united behind him. 

If he is overridden, he will be made to look impotent.  

But he can say to his base he fought to the bitter end for the wall and it would be true.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So both of these bills are going to fail.

Then what?

Lots of finger pointing.  Senate R's and Donald get to blame the obstructionist D's for not agreeing to his "negotiated compromise" proposal (either those in the Senate keeping it from getting to 60 or those in the House where it will undoubtedly not get a majority of votes).

I'll be very curious to see whether any/enough Senate R's break ranks to join the D's on the CR.  I don't see Congress getting to veto override if Trump refuses to sign.  If that happens then there's only one person left to blame.

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But he can say to his base he fought to the bitter end for the wall and it would be true.

Perfect scenario. Government opens back up, even if temporary.  And more importantly, it feeds into the martyr complex he’s crafted with his followers.  He gets to bitch about The Deep State, etc. and it gives him more political opponents. 

It gives him a chance to hit he campaign rally trail constantly. 

16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't see Congress getting to veto override if Trump refuses to sign.  If that happens then there's only one person left to blame

That may please many Senate Rs.  They get to furrow their brows and tell everybody how concerned they are.  

Meanwhile, Donnie gets to brag about his veto, not realizing that he’s fully owning the shutdown. 

I think food stamps run out in a week. I don’t know if anyone is thinking that hard about it but that might be enough pain to get the MAGA crowd’s neuron firing.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Actually he has a lot to lose.  He’s been telling his base how the GOP is his party and everybody is united behind him. 

If he is overridden, he will be made to look impotent.  

Trump probably pronounces "impotent" with the emphasis on the second syllable, anyway. 

He's a winner that way.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Does he have the courage to risk a veto override?  That would be the ultimate in humiliating Trump.   

And it would be followed by 18 months of him campaigning against those Republicans.  That wouldn’t be bad, would keep him out of the h and away from making policy decisions.  

They should remind him that they're the only thing standing between him and impeachment. They could remove him from office at any time. They'd just need to give Nancy the go ahead. 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They should remind him that they're the only thing standing between him and impeachment.

This is the real head scratcher for me.  Are all the GOP senators untrustworthy backstabbing cunts that they couldn’t come up with a solid coalition of 20 to control Trump? 

But then I remember none of them have shown real political courage in their careers. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is the real head scratcher for me.  Are all the GOP senators untrustworthy backstabbing cunts that they couldn’t come up with a solid coalition of 20 to control Trump? 

But then I remember none of them have shown real political courage in their careers. 

This is why I think many of them are seriously compromised. Maybe the rest are keeping quiet to protect their buddies? Maybe the rest are loosely tied to the really corrupt ones?

It's too much silence just to be based solely on political pressure from prospective voters.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1