2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

31 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I honestly see the defense as about the same.  The offense, however, has a chance to really break out, and that might mean that our above average conference defense is more than enough on most Saturdays. 

I agree. A lot of good and a lot of bad this year will probably look a lot like last year, but the trend line is moving upward as we bring in better talent.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I kind of agree. Foster should be really good against the run and blitzing. I'm not sure how his cover skills will be. If he ends up being similar to PJ Locke in coverage but better against the run and when blitzing, will that be enough to be an impact player? 

I'm viewing it through the lens of Thompson vs. Foster for starting nickle in this defense that tends to gravitate towards the "big nickle." In this instance, Foster fits that role better. Then I think about players who absolutely need to be on the field as much as possible. Foster is in my top 5. 

To answer your question-- yes, depending on your definition of "impact player." The nickle in this defense is tasked often with run support and blitzing. I'd say he's pretty damned good at both. No, I don't think a matchup between him and marquise brown in the slot will go in his favor. That's also only one game (yes I know that fuck is gone.) And I'd also have faith that Orlando would anticipate such things and scheme accordingly. 

54 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ah, very nice. I'm not going to place much value at all into a spring game, but it's good to at least see they have the ability to do that. Jalen Green too.

Yeah it's just an example. Not trying to build my argument off of it. But it is nice to see him cover ground like that and speculate how it could translate. In my mind, we're 1 injury away at LB from being royally fucked at the position for the season. I didn't think Ossai would play in dime (BBacker usually doesn't) but he probably will out of necessity. 

The wildcard in all this is Overshown. I don't like the idea of deceiving a young person but I'm starting to work on rationalizations and justifications for this one. It's silly since he's just as unproven as some of the other underclassmen but after the Floyd dilemma and Dele stuck in slowmo, we don't have too many options. Maybe that juco comes around? Idk. But Orlando, Herman, God himself, need to get Overshown excited to play LB.

I think DL will be a push (Losing Omenihu hurts but Roach should be an upgrade over Hager).

Ossai seems like an upgrade but the other 2 LB slots are likely downgrades (Shark could be a push). 

Long-term, CB seems like an upgrade, but I think it's a downgrade early in the season (i.e. LSU). Cook/Green are totally unproven so I don't see how we can say they'll already be better than 2 guys who are in NFL training camps. Could it happen? Sure. But there's no evidence that it's the case. 

I don't know how to feel about nickel - obviously love BJ and what he can do blitzing, but I haven't paid much attention to his coverage ability so am a little unsure if that's the best position for him.

Safety is obviously an upgrade with everyone returning and more experienced.

So overall, defense will probably be pretty similar to last year. Will our overall pass coverage be better this year? Probably not early on at least unless you really believe the spring sunshine reports on Cook/Green. Will our pass rush improve? I could see Ossai/Roach outweighing the Omenihu loss, especially with BJ blitzing. Run Defense? Losing Omenihu and the LBs seems like a big obstacle, but the safeties/nickel should help.

Honestly, the biggest factor for this defense is probably just TO's gameplanning, particularly in the 4th quarter.

Forgot about this one

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I seem to recall OSU moving and scoring at will against our backup corners last year. 

Corner. Singular. Boyce.

They could've put Nelson opposite of Boyce and it wouldn't have mattered. That one receiver whose name escapes me (Wallace?) was practically going against air because Boyce must've been studying astrology that night.

1 minute ago, fellside said:

Tylan Wallace is one of the best receivers in the country.  But overall OSU just out-schemed Orlando that night. They got to the edge at will.

Yeah they ran all over Orlando's defense that night.  Okie Lite outcoached TO for sure...

Was that the night where our experiment with light in the ass personnel running ISU’s cover 8 scheme final died?  Chronologically I can only really recall the RRS, Big XII championship and bowl game. 

I was watching the TTU game yesterday and forgot how we nearly gave that one away, and needed much help from Jet Mcgillycutty or some such clowning it up at the Tech QB position. 

I just watched a replay of the Sugar Bowl game.  At first, I was leery about all the Tebow/Sam comparisons, but after watching that game and some of the recent off season workout videos, I see it now.  Sam, if his shoulder stays healthy, is going to be a force.   Texas offense on Sam's wristband should be:  throw to a couple of big tall fast dudes (including tight ends), then throw it to some little faster dudes, run it up your ass with some big fast running backs, swing pass to some quick tailbacks,  or run it up the middle myself and run over your ass.  Then run play # 8.  

Actual offseason content:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Safety-Brandon-Jones-recovery-ankle-surgery-Tom-Herman-cleared-to-return-132850211/

Herman said Jones and defensive lineman Rob Cummins (knee) have been running with the team and could be free of restrictions by the end of the weekend.

“They’re doing almost everything with some slight modifications,” Herman said. “We think by Monday both of those guys will be without any modifications.”

Starters are better than backups until the starters leave and then the old backups are better than the old starters. If only we had a forward thinking DC that could anticipate who next year’s old starters are going to be so we can go ahead and replace them with this year’s backups
According to SI, all the starters last year who graduated are better than the backups last year so the defense will be worse. This is how it works. Every defense in America continually goes down yearly because of graduation.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:
12 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:
Starters are better than backups until the starters leave and then the old backups are better than the old starters. If only we had a forward thinking DC that could anticipate who next year’s old starters are going to be so we can go ahead and replace them with this year’s backups

According to SI, all the starters last year who graduated are better than the backups last year so the defense will be worse. This is how it works. Every defense in America continually goes down yearly because of graduation.

...it's not that they're worse players, it's that we're losing 8 at one time. Cohesiveness is a thing.

By the end of the season we'll probably be better than last year, but the growing pains will probably be real.

...it's not that they're worse players, it's that we're losing 8 at one time. Cohesiveness is a thing.
By the end of the season we'll probably be better than last year, but the growing pains will probably be real.
I understand. But the general statement on graduation they put out is just wrong. Didnt seem to say the same thing about ou and their o line and backfield did they?
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, markstanco said:
7 hours ago, texifornia said:

I understand. But the general statement on graduation they put out is just wrong. Didnt seem to say the same thing about ou and their o line and backfield did they?

Just read Athlon. Had OU’s OL ranked as number one in the conference despite losing four starters and not having a single player listed on the first, second or third team all pre season all conference selection list. 

That kind of shit blows my mind. 

58 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Just read Athlon. Had OU’s OL ranked as number one in the conference despite losing four starters and not having a single player listed on the first, second or third team all pre season all conference selection list. 

That kind of shit blows my mind. 

How was Creed Humphrey not on any of the preseason all-conference teams?

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

How was Creed Humphrey not on any of the preseason all-conference teams?

Big12 media haven't released their 2019 pre-season all conference yet.

Athlon has Creed Humphrey on their second team all conference list (Zach Shackleford & Sam Cosmi are first team)..

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-football-2019-all-conference-team

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

And the twos are not cohesive? They did not practice all last season alongside each other?

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Favorite part of that play was Quan Cosby's block taking two defenders out of the play. Unfortunately, it's only my second favorite Quan Cosby block cuz the Lendy Holmes block was a hall of famer.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

So rare to see Colt getting uppity like that. Fucking love it.

We were there, sitting next to some bucknuts. They got up to leave with a couple of minutes left in the game, thinking it was over, and condescendingly saying “good game”. Wish we could have seen them afterwards to return the favor.

We were there, sitting next to some bucknuts. They got up to leave with a couple of minutes left in the game, thinking it was over, and condescendingly saying “good game”. Wish we could have seen them afterwards to return the favor.

They traveled to Arizona to watch Ohio St play in the Fiesta Bowl, and left early because “eh looks like we’ll probably win”?

It appeared so. At least they didn't talk shit during the game.

In fact they never said a word to us before they left. Just nodded when we arrived in our seats and said hello to them. Kinda cold assholes.

They did eat a shit ton of concession stand crap though, so many they were being polite not talking with their mouths full.

• Like 1

TFB Open Post with some team notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-14th-16th/

Team Updates | Sourced | Quick-Hitters
– Super K

A few quick notes here about some of the young guys I’ve heard positive things about early on…

***As you know, the knock on Isaiah Hookfin was that he was playing around 265 lbs in high school. Super athletic but light.

Am told he came in to Texas this summer at 300 lbs and not a sloppy 300. Source said Hookfin came in ready.

***Was told to expect David Gbenda to play early. This could very well have something to do with the lack of depth at LB but it sounds like he’s one of the guys that gives the staff a good vibe.

***Was told the folks like the way Brayden Liebrock moves. Texas has TEs that can go but the more Arizona guys they can have that are successful, the better. That feels like a place Texas can make some money, especially with Tim Beck’s ties there.

***Didn’t really hear a ton on Marcus Washington other than that he runs routes well. Wasn’t sure what to glean from that but I imagine it’s probably just a bit too early.

***The guy there is a lot of excitement about is Jake Smith. Was told he is, “lightning fast…like fastest kid alive type fast”. Source compared him to Marquise “Hollywood” Brown who was the smaller wide receiver at Oklahoma who was drafted in the first round.

Funny thing was, I spoke to Bryson Washington yesterday (I’ll have that update up for you all) and he actually saw Jake Smith running routes when he was at Texas on Saturday. Bryson actually commented on Jake and how fast he looks.

Again, another Arizona kid that it would be nice to get on the field, get him some production and use it really plant a flag in Arizona.

45 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Never underestimate the power of "Gotta beat the  traffic!"

There was no traffic jam getting out of that stadium. They had their traffic control shit together and it all flowed out smoothly & quickly when we left 20 or so minutes after the final gun. And we were parked about 50 yards from our gate.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Thought this was pretty interesting - from that article:

Herman believes in this culture-building formula like he believes in oxygen. But, he told the assembled high school coaches, he recently came upon a problem — he’s never been a third-year head coach before. The juniors and seniors in his program are now hearing him repeat the same talking points, the same phrases, the same speeches at the same time of year, for the third straight year. Isn’t this a problem? Won’t players start to tune him out? Shouldn’t he change his message up?

To navigate this problem, Herman called a friend in the business who knows how to build a culture that lasts.

“I called Dabo and he said something I’ll never forget: If they can mock you, what you say and how you say it, that means they’ve listened. Do I need guest speakers, a new message? No. They’re listening. If they know what you’re about to say before you say it, that’s a good thing. That’s a really good thing.”

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

It appeared so. At least they didn't talk shit during the game.

In fact they never said a word to us before they left. Just nodded when we arrived in our seats and said hello to them. Kinda cold assholes.

They did eat a shit ton of concession stand crap though, so many they were being polite not talking with their mouths full.

They probably left because they had to take a giant steaming nasty shit

16 hours ago, markstanco said:
On 6/13/2019 at 9:22 AM, GW Hayduke said:

Well, defense is going down the shitter in general. 

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

***The guy there is a lot of excitement about is Jake Smith. Was told he is, “lightning fast…like fastest kid alive type fast”. Source compared him to Marquise “Hollywood” Brown who was the smaller wide receiver at Oklahoma who was drafted in the first round. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3511973

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Lindy's and Athlons....first to press, first in the rubbish bin.

They're both great for when I'm standing there at HEB waiting for my wife to finish gabbing with whatever acquaintance she runs into. I always add a half hour to my schedule when I know we're both going there.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

They're both great for when I'm standing there at HEB waiting for my wife to finish gabbing with whatever acquaintance she runs into. I always add a half hour to my schedule when I know we're both going there.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Huh. I always took you to be just cynical enough to understand you should expect Athlon's (et al) conclusions to be total garbage even before you start reading it.

I use them to pass the time during a sit at the airport, and while I know it’s garbage I find it hard to believe that completely contradictory information on the same page can consistently make it past some form oversight by some kind of editing body. 

I think the secondary will be fine. The young corners are up against one of the best receiving units in the country everyday. They’ll also have the best safety duo in the Big12 backing them. Linebacker is the position you should be praying about every night. 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I have a friend who left with 7 min left to go in the 2006 Rose Bowl when usc scored to make it 38-26 to beat traffic.

Making fun of him for that will never not be hilarious.

Holy shit. That was the best, most enjoyable clusterfuck traffic jam I've ever been in.