The way too early 2019 LSU at Texas game discussion

4th and 5

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

This will be another dime-heavy game with Todd Orlando likely going with the bigger dime version to help versus the LSU running game. I'm pretty sure we'll see some tinkering with the DB personnel to uniquely tailor the defense to the Tigers. More on that on Friday.

what's the difference between the bigger and smaller versions of the dime (in terms of what players we use in each)?

I think this game is a toss-up. This is the kind of game where a ball being 6 inches off and really matter, and I’m still looking for Sam to make throws that show improvement in terms of accuracy. He needs to own this game.

My biggest concern is our pass rush and DB tackling. We didn’t get much pressure against LA Tech, And these LSU receivers are going to be hard to tackle.

1 hour ago, BlueFalcon said:

LSU is going to beat Texas pretty convincingly. While you shouldn't let this game get you down on the rest of your season you're definitely wearing orange tinted glasses if you think Texas is going to win this. 

Texas is green, good but green and it will show.

The first half will be fairly competitive but by the end of the 3rd Quarter the calls to fire Herman will be deafening. 

Don't worry, by the time you lose to OU you'll be over this loss.

It's easy to come on here and talk shit, then come back to talk more shit if you win, and never come back if you lose.  

Also, your mother is good but green.  She's learning fast, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

he had 3.

fucking Frankie...

OK, 3. Cool. Against Georgia State.

Who the fuck is Frankie? And why are you being such a butt hurt bitch? You're usually a cool poster, but Jesus, you're on a longhorns board and you expect any fan to just think LSU is some juggernaut? Fucking beat your rival for a change. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

OK, 3. Cool. Against Georgia State.

Who the fuck is Frankie? And why are you being such a butt hurt bitch? You're usually a cool poster, but Jesus, you're on a longhorns board and you expect any fan to just think LSU is some juggernaut? Fucking beat your rival for a change. 

who’s Frankie?!?

you’re Frankie...Frankie Wet-Brain.

giphy.gif

I think this game is a toss-up. This is the kind of game where a ball being 6 inches off and really matter, and I’m still looking for Sam to make throws that show improvement in terms of accuracy. He needs to own this game.
My biggest concern is our pass rush and DB tackling. We didn’t get much pressure against LA Tech, And these LSU receivers are going to be hard to tackle.

Stop being a pussy.

14 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The execution was surprising   

A large part of the equation is Burrows. He's a sharp cookie recruited by Tom Herman at tOSU that ran RPO spread there and in HS. A senior coming into his own. It is his year to shine if he ever will and the O had to improve over last season just by virtue of the OL healing up and maturing another off-season alone. Coach O didn't hire Joe Brady to sit around picking his ass. Ga. Southern made it look easy in game 1 but LSU has the horses to race with. Wonder if Cook takes over in this one to begin with or gets subbed in if Boyce gets burned one time too many.

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

A large part of the equation is Burrows. He's a sharp cookie recruited by Tom Herman at tOSU that ran RPO spread there and in HS. A senior coming into his own. It is his year to shine if he ever will and the O had to improve over last season just by virtue of the OL healing up and maturing another off-season alone. Coach O didn't hire Joe Brady to sit around picking his ass. Ga. Southern made it look easy in game 1 but LSU has the horses to race with. Wonder if Cook takes over in this one to begin with or gets subbed in if Boyce gets burned one time too many.

I'm hoping Boyce doesn't start. Cook and Jamison can't be worse. It's just impossible. Cook looked decent before being tossed out of the game against Georgia. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why don't you elaborate on how this mythical LSU great defense allowed UCF w/ a backup and aggy to gash through it like warm butter, but somehow Texas, a team who faces spread teams weekly will struggle. 

UCF was 12/31 for 120 yards passing, and 130 yards on 30 carries for a whole 250 yards.  

They scored on their opening drive and then had a pick six.  LSU adjusted.  UCFs following drives were...

4 plays, fumble

3 and out

7 plays, downs

3 and out

10 plays TD to end half

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

3 plays and FG from 20 after recovering muffed punt 

3 and out

garbage time TD

.... clearly you didn’t watch the game   

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, NotEricPrydz said:

UCF was 12/31 for 120 yards passing, and 130 yards on 30 carries for a whole 250 yards.  

They scored on their opening drive and then had a pick six.  LSU adjusted.  UCFs following drives were...

4 plays, fumble

3 and out

7 plays, downs

3 and out

10 plays TD to end half

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

garbage time TD

And that was with a backup QB, and the score was still close. I'm not saying we're going to curb stomp y'all, but this new offense y'all are installing is something we face every single week. Our D is no slouch, either. It'll be a close game. My prediction is

Texas - 24 

LSU - 17

3 minutes ago, NotEricPrydz said:

4 plays, fumble

3 and out

7 plays, downs

3 and out

10 plays TD to end half

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

3 and out

garbage time TD

Is there a point to that? I mean, other than explaining how you managed to give up 32 points to a team with no QB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ESPN is reporting that coach Orgeron has taken an ESL class over the summer and his communication skills have slightly improved, as a result LSU is playing at a higher level as evidence by their dominance over the 2018 Camellia Bowl champions, Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern fought a grid iron classic last season that resulted in a 15 - 13 victory over powerhouse Texas State, which was not a small accomplishment. All signs point to LSU being a juggernaut in college football this season.

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

And that was with a backup QB, and the score was still close. I'm not saying we're going to curb stomp y'all, but this new offense y'all are installing is something we face every single week. Our D is no slouch, either. It'll be a close game. My prediction is

Texas - 24 

LSU - 17

And LSU was missing 7 defensive starters.   The score was not indicative of the game.  Outside of 2 UCF drives LSU completely dominated on both sides of the ball.   

I think it will be a close game.   I would like to say Texas will win, but I think they lost too many guys from last season.  Having one of the best recruiting classes the last couple years is great, but a ton of those guys are still too inexperienced.  This game is completely on Sam.   If he comes thru he is a serious Heisman contender.   

• Fuck You 2

just what fucking planet are you on thinking that we’re not going to show up?

i can guarantee that we WANT to be there, and we’re going to show the fuck up with our best effort. we’re a veteran squad with sr and jr leadership all over our lineup on both sides of the ball. they know what’s up.

you have our full attention. we’re coming with our hair on fire and motivated...best believe that.

if your hopes lie in us taking you or this game lightly, that we can show up and smile and get it done, you’d do well to dash those hopes immediately.
He's just talking shit about how the sec group think fans explain away loses....they dudnt make playoff/bcs title game so they didnt care...examples: many

7 minutes ago, NotEricPrydz said:

And LSU was missing 7 defensive starters.   The score was not indicative of the game.  Outside of 2 UCF drives LSU completely dominated on both sides of the ball.   

I think it will be a close game.   I would like to say Texas will win, but I think they lost too many guys from last season.  Having one of the best recruiting classes the last couple years is great, but a ton of those guys are still too inexperienced.  This game is completely on Sam.   If he comes thru he is a serious Heisman contender.   

I agree that it comes down to Sam. We're down to basically one RB, and a frosh QB who's playing RB, so we'll see how that goes. I'm interested to see how well the new offense that LSU is unveiling will translate against our D. I know people point out our losses on defense, but really our only "loss" was Charles O. We've definitely upgraded talent, but they're young. The game is gonna be good. 

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Texas - 24 

LSU - 17

Half of our defense with was out the game. Greedy was out to due to the draft, Fehoko and Fulton were DNP due to injury, Delpit and Terrance Alexander were ejected. Jacob Philips was suspended the first half. Kelvin Joesph was suspended for the game. 

We literally had WRs (Mannie Netherly & Jontre Kirklin) playing CB vs UCF.

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

Half of our defense with was out the game. Greedy was out to due to the draft, Fehoko and Fulton were DNP due to injury, Delpit and Terrance Alexander were ejected. Jacob Philips was suspended the first half. Kelvin Joesph was suspended for the game. 

And our defense upgraded on talent. Our only loss is really Charles O. I'm really curious to see how this goes down. If anything, it'll be interesting. 

3 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

the defense that played against UCF back ups or not is the def playing this weekend as the 7 quitters got drafted amrite?

Why don't you elaborate on how this mythical LSU great defense allowed UCF w/ a backup and aggy to gash through it like warm butter, but somehow Texas, a team who faces spread teams weekly will struggle. 
Because EVERYONE with a brain lol @ bowl games other than playoffs.

I still await your thoughtful answer a to a pretty straightforward question.

Our D is no slouch, either.

Eh. The jury is still out on the Texas D, much as it is on the new LSU offensive system. Both acquitted themselves fairly well, but against lower level competition.

LSU D vs Texas O is the main event and both sides will have their share of wins. The game will likely be decided on th undercard with the Texas D vs LSU O, where no one knows what exactly to expect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Eh. The jury is still out on the Texas D, much as it is on the new LSU offensive system. Both acquitted themselves fairly well, but against lower level competition.

LSU D vs Texas O is the main event and both sides will have their share of wins. The game will likely be decided on th undercard with the Texas D vs LSU O, where no one knows what exactly to expect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh, for sure. We definitely have the talent to match up well, and Ossai is a game changer. I want to see a Jalen Green/Marshall match-up. I'm not too worried about the running game, tbh. Orlando seems to have fixed that issue. I just worry about our DB's because they're frosh. Green shut down Hardy who torched LSU, but at the same time you can't use transitive property, either. 

Coburn, Sweat, Ossai should do well. Dele worries me a bit, but LSU isn't a true spread, so we'll see. Jeff M seems to have gotten better, but it was game 1. We'll see how it goes. 

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It better not be.  As much as we want to win this game there is no reason to risk Sam like that and potentially ruin the rest of the season.  A loss to LSU does not change this team’s goals.  Big 12 championship with possible playoff birth (does limit the margin of error).  

21 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

It better not be.  As much as we want to win this game there is no reason to risk Sam like that and potentially ruin the rest of the season.  A loss to LSU does not change this team’s goals.  Big 12 championship with possible playoff birth (does limit the margin of error).  

Aranda's weakness has been against teams that spread him out and use a running QB. See Mullen with Fitzgerald. 

Ehlinger is going to run the ball a lot against LSU. You really think Texas is going into this game with the mindset of "oh well if we lose we still have the Big 12"? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Another article worth a read. 

"This play combined the full weight of the Gator run game with the weakest point of the LSU defense. Florida had three receivers bunched wide to hold defenders in man coverage and then led into the outnumbered boundary side with the RB and LG both leading over there behind the TE. LSU was hopelessly outnumbered at that point and Franks lumbered for a relatively easy 12 yard gain. A TD would soon follow and Florida was up for good.

Ultimately Mullen was able to win this battle with Aranda by hammering a weak spot in his defensive scheme and for turning LSU’s pressure against them. The Tigers’ ultra-aggressive defensive scheme has fewer failsafes than a structure designed to close on the ball. Their alignment assumes you won’t break free through the initial wall and if you do, there’s a price to be paid.

Mullen also didn’t take the bait trying to beat LSU’s NFL cornerbacks with a middling passing attack while trying to block Aranda’s pressures. That’s the chokepoint that LSU channels opponents into, the obvious counter that they are built to withstand. Where LSU wasn’t able to hold up was against misdirection option schemes that took aggressive defenders out of position and QB run game concepts that gave the Gators the numbers to punch a hole in the wall against the Tiger front."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2019/5/10/18527297/master-class-chess-games-of-2018-dan-mullen-vs-dave-aranda-florida-gators-lsu-tigers

Edited by texasstrong12