Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

For the Austin dog owners.  I don't watch the news, maybe some of you don't either:

The city of Austin issued a warning Sunday advising pet owners to keep their animals out of Lady Bird Lake because of the presence of dangerous algae.

The city said the warning was issued “out of an abundance of caution” and that the algae is not a threat to humans.

The city and the Lower Colorado River Authority are testing the water and algae to evaluate toxicity levels, which will take between two and four days.

“It is recommended the public take precaution and not allow pets to swim in or drink water from the lake,” the city said in a statement Sunday. “When the results of the testing are available, additional information will be shared.”

Austin Water does not use Lady Bird Lake as a drinking water source and the city said the algae is not affecting the city’s water system.

8 years ago today, I got this goofy black girl from Heart of Texas Lab Rescue, pretty sure its the best move I ever made, also 1 year ago, give or take a few days, Chloe the little white shit was born. So I shall celebrate both their birthdays on the same day.  Got some 25% off chicken and beef slices from HEB that I tossed on a hot plate to kill any bugs and cut it up.

couldnt get both of them to sit still at the same time. The power of meat pretty much overcame most commands:

48467803137_857f19b827_z.jpg

48467657246_9374908379_z.jpg

48467659471_db868b9c23_z.jpg

the meat medley in the bowls lasted less than 40 seconds.....

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190804/after-2-dogs-die-austin-officials-warn-of-potentially-toxic-algae-in-lady-bird-lake

Pet owners are being warned to keep their animals out of Lady Bird Lake after the death of two dogs that swam there, Austin city officials said in a statement Monday.

Although the city has yet to confirm the causes of the deaths, a warning was first issued Sunday night "out of an abundance of caution" because the dogs' symptoms appeared consistent with exposure to a toxin produced by a type of algae, city officials said.

Watershed Protection officials were observing the lake during water-quality testing and noticed something that looked like blue-green algae, said Bryce Bencivengo, spokesman for the city's Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

"Preliminary results indicate the algae is a type of blue-green algae of the genus Oscillatoria," the city said Monday. "This type of algae can release a neurotoxin ... (that) can be harmful to pets and people if a sufficient quantity of water or algae is ingested."

City officials said the algae is especially prevalent near Red Bud Isle near Tom Miller Dam and was covering up to 40% of the water's surface there.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, gsoda3 said:

we put down our golden today.  cancer.  almost made it to 12.  was given to us by a friend when she was 8 weeks old before we had kids.  as we had kids she was awesome with them.  couldn't have asked for a better friend for them.  sleep well sweetheart.

Every time I see about a golden passing I get a huge lump in my throat and remember what a great dog our Rocky was.  They are wonderful friends and my heart goes out to you.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Look on dag's face says it all.

"I love her, and would die for her, but god damn."

Yep.  That rottie (Shelby) is only 10 months old.  There is an older Ridgeback-mix (Cousin Jake) in the house who is chill as fuck.  That kid has pestered that Ridgeback her entire life..pulling his tail, hugging his neck and sticking her finger in his ass.   (his tail curls up and his black asshole is apparently a target for this blossoming proctologist).    So, this rottie is having to learn to be patient with kids.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, kmac30 said:

My dog passed almost a year ago. Pyrenees/lab mix. I came home from work yesterday and surprised the kids (and the wife a little) with a dog. Wife knew, it’s just this dog is bigger than she expected.

Here’s Penny. Almost 5 month old mix. Has Pyrenees in her (double dew claw) but that’s about all we know. Mom was about 40 lbs. She’s about 17 now.

8860755ad5afcb83e5cd00547dbfdb7d.jpg637dc6f7bfb923731c2c3c8a462fb0e4.jpg

Pretty much a twin of my luna

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4600.jpg

Where's the food at?

IMG_4663.jpg

hope you don't mind that I swim out to your boat and get on

IMG_4799.JPG

I had luna's dna tested and she came back a mutt with 

25% American Staffordshire Terrier
12.5% German Shepherd Dog
12.5% American Bulldog
12.5% Bulldog
37.5% Breed Group(s)

but based on pictures on the internet I'm pretty sure she's a black mouth cur. The dna place did not have black mouth cur as a breed so the mix above makes sense when you read about curs. Basically a jack of all trades dog for ranches/farms in the south. Used for hunting, protection, herding etc.Luna is very protective and wants to chase the deer, rabbits and squirrels that come around the house

• Like 2