Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

So you're telling me we'll be moving a QB to TE? Gonna make a lot of 2016 Texas Longhorn fans veeeeerrrry happy. 

If it had made fans in 2013 happy we may actually have had a TE drafted in the last 20 years besides Finley.

• Fuck You 1

I really like Wiley and hope he's a Horn.

That said, a short time ago on a site far, far away, I noted that his claimed 4.7 time seemed suspect. So while I haven't seen him run a 40, from his HUDL I can't fathom 4.53 is real.  

Edited by Gut Wagon

3 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Oh please oh please send that douche to the Browns. 

Apparently this won't happen, but I wouldn't have minded seeing him to go to the Giants just to make the blOwU fans here in Dallas feel conflicted.  And having more reason to hate the Giants is never a bad thing for the rest of us.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which recruits did spring game impact?

How much did the spring game impact the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes respectively? -- Longhorns_B12C

EJ: I think it had a big impact with various key 2019 targets, specifically along the offensive line. Branson Braggwanted to spend more 1-on-1 time with new offensive line coach Herb Hand. And he got to do just that. Hand really impressed him and his family, and I have reason to believe the Longhorns have regained momentum there. It was also great for Texas to get Tyler Johnson and Javonne Shepherd back on campus. We still feel really good about where Texas stands. UT also made a major impression on guys like Jake Smith, Noah Cain and Jalen Catalon. The event was big for the 2020 class as well as a handful of new offers went out and important targets made their way to campus.

Mike: I think it was big for Texas to establish ground in a lot of races. Like EJ said, names like Jake Smith, Noah Cain, Branson Bragg and Jalen Catalon stand out, but the Longhorns were also able to make an impression on 2020 guys. Two guys I think they made a huge impression on are the 2020 Duncanville duo of Chris Thompson and Ja’Quinden Jackson. It didn’t result in any commitments, but I think they did some really good work during the weekend.

Haven't heard anything about Dylan Wright in a while. Anything new on him? -- Hookem777

EJ: Mike is closer to Wright than anyone in the industry, so I will let him elaborate. But Wright has made two visits to Texas this offseason and is very high on the program. I feel good about my Crystal Ball pick.

Mike: Dylan is a pretty closed off kid, so you have to break his shell a little bit. He wants a place where he feels at home, and he’s also looking for somewhere to prepare him for the NFL. The bottom line is he’s not going to rush his decision. Winning the mom is important here, but Texas has done a great job establishing themselves here. Tom Herman is personally involved in this recruitment, and that’s really starting to make a difference.

Let’s say we get Jake Smith. Wouldn’t that cause Jordan Whittington to start looking elsewhere as he’s our slot take? -- bryanthoang

EJ: I don’t think so. The staff is pushing hard for Smith because he is a natural fit at the position and can make an immediate impact. While Whittington is a highly rated recruit, he is more of an athlete. It’s not a guarantee that he’ll stick at slot receiver. In fact, I think he’s a hell of a safety. I think Whittington understands that he could end up playing multiple positions when it’s all said and done.

Mike: Whittington can play slot, but he can also play any other receiver position. He’s got a versatile skillset and build, and I think he looks at himself as a leader in this class. As EJ mentioned, he’d also be a factor as a defensive back if he wanted to play there. I’m not sure I see him looking around much.

On DeMarvin Leal, should we basically assume that if any traction is made by our staff in his recruitment that no one will know about it until he decommits? Are there any new DT offers out since Leal news that you know of? - paladin11

EJ: We might have some updates here and there. But for the most part, yes, it will remain a behind the scenes type of recruitment. We’ll handle it like we’ve handled Demani Richardson as the staff is still pushing there. And no, there aren’t any new defensive tackle offers out. But the staff is working hard on guys like Marcus Hicks and Marcus Stripling and is evaluating other options.

Mike: I think Texas feels good about what they got on interior DL last year, and there just aren’t many options in-state this year. I’d look for them to do some evaluating during the spring and work selective while they try to get back in with Leal.

EJ/Mike, you guys are animals, constantly on the trail. Thank you. Who is the Texas high school player flying under the radar? The one recruit nobody is talking about now, but everyone will be fighting for in November? -- SamDay

EJ: That’s a good question. Teams always need defensive linemen late, so I’m going to go with a high upside guy in Argyle Liberty Christian product Isreal-Isuman Hundley. A three-star prospect, Isuman Hundley recently moved to the United States and has only been playing football for a year. He stands at 6-foot-5, 230 pounds and is extremely athletic. With another year under his belt, he should blow up this fall. Isuman-Hundley holds four early offers from Baylor, Oklahoma State, SMU and Washington.

Mike: Brandon Crossley from Little Elm is a guy I really like. Another one EJ and I have discussed is Ainias Smith. Taurean Carter from Mansfield Legacy is a guy I think will eventually blow up as a big defensive line prospect.

Are there any surprise type ups you have in the bag for commitments we weren’t expecting?-- MikeFlo

EJ: Not really. We’ve been pretty consistent in reporting that guys like Tyler Johnson, Kenyatta Watson II, Tre Watson, NaNa Osafo-Mensah and maybe Jared Wiley all want to make decisions at some point in the near future. And we feel good about where the Longhorns stand.

Mike: EJ nailed it. There are some guys we feel good about who are coming up to decision dates, but we aren’t holding any secrets at this point.

EJ/Mike, you guys are animals, constantly on the trail. Thank you. Who is the Texas high school player flying under the radar? The one recruit nobody is talking about now, but everyone will be fighting for in November? -- SamDay

EJ: That’s a good question. Teams always need defensive linemen late, so I’m going to go with a high upside guy in Argyle Liberty Christian product Isreal-Isuman Hundley. A three-star prospect, Isuman Hundley recently moved to the United States and has only been playing football for a year. He stands at 6-foot-5, 230 pounds and is extremely athletic. With another year under his belt, he should blow up this fall. Isuman-Hundley holds four early offers from Baylor, Oklahoma State, SMU and Washington.

Mike: Brandon Crossley from Little Elm is a guy I really like. Another one EJ and I have discussed is Ainias Smith. Taurean Carter from Mansfield Legacy is a guy I think will eventually blow up as a big defensive line prospect.

That’s actually pretty good stuff right there with that question and those answers. 

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Texas staff back on recruiting trail

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer was in the Dallas-area and stopped by to see four-star West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright on Tuesday. Mehringer and Wright are building a strong relationship and Texas is continuing to make a major impact in Wright’s recruiting. Wright currently has a top three of Arkansas, which was by to see him today, Florida State and Texas.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar made his way to Arizona to see four-star Williams Field (AZ) defensive back Noa Pola-Gates. Texas has been evaluating Pola-Gates for a couple of weeks, and he is a prospect they could offer in the near future. He holds several major scholarships. Alabama is considered his leader.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand and inside wide receivers coach Corby Meeks swung by Houston Bellaire Episcopal, which is home to 2021 offensive lineman Donovan Jackson. He already holds several major offers and was on campus earlier this offseason for junior day weekend.

— Both Hand and offensive coordinator Tim Beck are slated to stop by Port Neches-Groves early next week. Beck will check out Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson, while Hand will see rising 2020 offensive lineman Jaylen Garth, who recently notched his first offer from Texas A&M. He is one to keep an eye on.

Mike Roach's Film Room: Identifying RB targets

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.)

Recruitment: Cain has been a big name since he emerged during his sophomore season at Denton Guyer. Cain moved to IMG Academy before his junior year where he’s continued to flourish. A four-star prospect, Cain holds offers from LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Texas and Georgia. At 5-foot-10.5, 209 pounds, Cain is ranked as the No. 2 running back in the nation and No. 6 prospect in Florida, according to 247Sports Composite.

Strengths: Cain has a solid frame with good weight and room to add more. He shows good quickness and short area burst. Cain is a one-cut runner with good downhill ability and strong power to run through tackles. Cain displays strong vision, and he runs behind his pads with strong balance. Cain shows good feet with the ability to stop and start with good explosion. He changes direction quickly, and shows some elusive ability to make defenders miss in the open field. Cain is capable in blitz pick up, and his receiving skills are very good despite the fact they are under-utilized at IMG. Cain is a sturdy, workhorse type back who can carry in volume.

Areas for improvement: Cain lacks the game breaking top-end speed desired in top ranked running backs. He’s seen some high usage during his career which could take a toll on his body down the line.

RB Tyrion Davis, Southern Lab (La.)

Recruitment: Davis is one of the most heavily recruited runners in the country. A four-star prospect, Davis committed to LSU last June over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, USC, Michigan and Tennessee. At 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, Davis is ranked as the No. 15 running back in the nation and No. 10 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Strengths: Davis has a huge build with length and bulk. He runs downhill with incredible explosion, and he shows off an extra gear in the open field to pull away from defenders. Davis is a one-cut runner who doesn’t waste time squaring his shoulders to the line of scrimmage. Davis is a strong receiver from the backfield, and he shows a natural feel for sorting through traffic in the screen game. Davis shows some elusive ability in the open field, and he runs with good balance. Davis runs with incredible power, and he shows the ability to break multiple tackles in one run without losing his momentum. Davis is best suited for a downhill run game that utilizes power or zone blocking schemes, and he should have the size and ability to contribute right away.

Areas for improvement: Davis is already very large for the high school level, and he should take care to not outgrow the position. He runs too high, which leaves him susceptible to big hits. Davis is an explosive athlete, but he could use some work on changing direction with more explosion.

RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet (2020)

Recruitment: McGowan is one of the underclassmen backs in Texas who is starting to rise to the top. A four-star prospect, McGowan holds offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State and Baylor. At 6-feet, 210 pounds, McGowan is ranked as the No. 23 running back in the country and No. 30 overall prospect in Texas for the class of 2020, according to 247Sports.

Strengths: McGowan has a powerful build with narrow hips and a large lower half. McGowan shows good first step explosion and gets downhill in a hurry. McGowan runs with great balance which allows him to break tackles and stay up in the open field. McGowan excels on inside zone plays where he can find an opening and explode through it. McGowan shows strong receiving skills out of the backfield. He’s a crisp route runner with strong hands and an ability to make plays with his quickness in space. McGowan accelerates to top speed very quickly, and he shows the ability to run away from defenders. McGowan shows strong vision and good natural instincts for the position. His frame is built to carry more weight, and his athletic ceiling is high.

Areas for improvement: McGowan tends to run too high at times, and he could do a better job at lowering his pads at the point of contact. McGowan should work on generating more explosion when changing direction and work to become a more elusive runner.