Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My ideal staff would be:  Let go of Mehringer, Warehime, and Giles.  Hire Phil Longo as OC; hire Beatty as WR coach; move Beck to WR coach; move Meekins back to TE coach.  Hire a badass DL coach.

What I think is most likely is:  Let go of Mehringer and Warehime.  Keep Beck at QB coach.  Hire Beaty as WR coach.  Move Meekins back to TEs.  Hire DL coach/recruiter type.

Personally I'm very weary of continuing forward with 7 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches. Having an offensive HC, an OC, and 2 WR coaches is just too much imo, no matter who they are.

• Like 2

What I heard about staff changes last year was that he didn’t want to make them because it would have potentially destabilized what ended up being a fantastic recruiting class.

So he’s doing a two step to the door for a few guys. In addition, he didn’t have better choices lined up when he was hired, or after year 1. I assume he will have replacements lined up and the recruiting class relatively secured should one or two be gone this year.

30 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My ideal staff would be:  Let go of Mehringer, Warehime, and Giles.  Hire Phil Longo as OC; hire Beatty as WR coach; move Beck to WR coach; move Meekins back to TE coach.  Hire a badass DL coach.

What I think is most likely is:  Let go of Mehringer and Warehime.  Keep Beck at QB coach.  Hire Beaty as WR coach.  Move Meekins back to TEs.  Hire DL coach/recruiter type.

Well - it looks like Longo is heading to UNC.

Longo was really good in year 1. Their offense was good in year 2 (#12 in S&P) but Longo's playcalling was suspect in several games this year. 

Case in point the A&M game. A&M's run defense is legit and their secondary is trash. Longo felt the need to run the ball for 1 yard for large portions of that game when they were absolutely torching A&M's secondary. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Longo was really good in year 1. Their offense was good in year 2 (#12 in S&P) but Longo's playcalling was suspect in several games this year. 

Case in point the A&M game. A&M's run defense is legit and their secondary is trash. Longo felt the need to run the ball for 1 yard for large portions of that game. 

A&M's run defense is only "legit" because they are playing a roster and scheme that is shit for rushing the passer and have a bunch of big slow defensive backs that can tackle, but not cover.  Their linebacker play is great against the run; that is it.

The only reason they didn't lose two more games this year is because they were gifted the LSU game several times by the officials, and Kentucky can't throw a forward pass.  Hint - none of this gets better next year, and the linebackers should be considerably worse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

A&M's run defense is only "legit" because they are playing a roster and scheme that is shit for rushing the passer and have a bunch of big slow defensive backs that can tackle, but not cover.  Their linebacker play is great against the run; that is it.

The only reason they didn't lose two more games this year is because they were gifted the LSU game several times by the officials, and Kentucky can't throw a forward pass.  Hint - none of this gets better next year, and the linebackers should be considerably worse.

No doubt. I think it's a lot about scheme and the fact their front 7 was really experienced this year. 

But that's more reason Longo should have been attacking their weakness which is pass defense. I still think Longo is a good OC but I came away questioning his playcalling in several games. 

If a coach needs to go, CDC isn't going to call Herman into his office and tell him he needs to fire this specific coach and to hire this other specific coach. He's going to ask high level questions about why certain performance benchmarks aren't being met, what are you going to do about them, and what can I do to help? 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

If a coach needs to go, CDC isn't going to call Herman into his office and tell him he needs to fire this specific coach and to hire this other specific coach. He's going to ask high level questions about why certain performance benchmarks aren't being met, what are you going to do about them, and what can I do to help? 

I don't know why they have to go through all that shit when we can just send up an airplane banner.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's what I wanted to say but not smart enough to say it that way.  I'll take that rep you earned. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Steve Wiltfong put in a pick for Sopsher to Bama. Wonder how it affects LSU's DL recruiting plans.

LSU has known for awhile that Sopsher was probably heading to Bama

What effects them is whether or not Bama decides to take Ika

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think they'll land Siaki Ika.

https://247sports.com/Player/Siaki-Ika-46040395/

Just now, Fud said:

LSU has known for awhile that Sopsher was probably heading to Bama

What effects them is whether or not Bama decides to take Ika

Ika was Fong'd to Oregon today.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I've been anti-Mehringer and Warehime for a long time, but I think you're giving Herman too little credit.  After last season, he effectively demoted both Warehime and Mehringer, moving Meekins to look over Meh's shoulder and replacing Warehime with Herb Hand.  He also tried to go get some more Xs & Os firepower when he tried to hire Noel Mazzone as an analyst.

Should he have cut ties with Mehringer and Warehime after last year?  Almost certainly.  Herman is clearly overvaluing staff continuity (probably because he believes it to be a reflection of himself as head coach)--remember that Urban Meyer made a huge deal when he fired Zach Smith that Smith was the only coach Meyer had ever fired.

But to say that that Herman's hiring history here shows that he is "befuddled" by having to evaluate staff is hyperbolic even for you, CTJ.

With that said, those two motherfuckers better not be on staff next year.  And Herman ought to do everything in his power to keep Beck and bring in Beatty.

Herman regularly looks stunned or befuddled. He was straight up shellshocked after Maryland and Tulsa this year. I don't know if it's important enough to go back and forth over a word choice, but I guess conceptually, I just disagree with the premise that Herman Got This, Yo. Why am I supposed to believe that? Because we think he's going to sort it out in the future? As of right now, he's got stiffs working for him on his staff and he gets no credit for fucking around with titles after last season. I said nothing hyperbolic, and let's face it, that's basically a given when I post.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Herman regularly looks stunned or befuddled. He was straight up shellshocked after Maryland and Tulsa this year. I don't know if it's important enough to go back and forth over a word choice, but I guess conceptually, I just disagree with the premise that Herman Got This, Yo. Why am I supposed to believe that? Because we think he's going to sort it out in the future? As of right now, he's got stiffs working for him on his staff and he gets no credit for fucking around with titles after last season. I said nothing hyperbolic, and let's face it, that's basically a given when I post.

My point is that this process is more complex than your post indicated.  I never rejoined with the premise "Herman Got This, Yo" and intimation that I did further supports my description of your post as hyperbole (or, I suppose, fallacious black and white thinking).  In fact, my post pointed out numerous places in the hiring process where he has royally screwed the pooch and valued things unimportant.

And we can both agree that sideline shots of Herman do not inspire a ton of confidence.  I would suggest nonplussed as an apt descriptor.

Even so, it does not mean that the entirety of Herman's tenure, his decision-making, or his future as a coach will be entirely nonplussed.  Instead, he's shown some signs that he can identify and mend prior errors while showing in other places the tendency to double down on prior bad decisions.  Let's see what he does this offseason.

Tl; dr--Humans are complex.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

My point is that this process is more complex than your post indicated.  I never rejoined with the premise "Herman Got This, Yo" and intimation that I did further supports my description of your post as hyperbole (or, I suppose, fallacious black and white thinking).  In fact, my post pointed out numerous places in the hiring process where he has royally screwed the pooch and valued things unimportant.

And we can both agree that sideline shots of Herman do not inspire a ton of confidence.  I would suggest nonplussed as an apt descriptor.

Even so, it does not mean that the entirety of Herman's tenure, his decision-making, or his future as a coach will be entirely nonplussed.  Instead, he's shown some signs that he can identify and mend prior errors while showing in other places the tendency to double down on prior bad decisions.  Let's see what he does this offseason.

Tl; dr--Humans are complex.

82c652d0-cf54-0133-8307-06e18a8a4ae5.gif

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't want athletic directors involved in assistant hires. I love CDC but no reason he should be involved. 

In what world does CDC know about the recruiting landscape, schematic fit with Herman's system, and other criteria used to evaluate assistant hires? This is why athletic director's should stay out of assistant hires. Athletic directors hire the head coaches that are the "experts" or "knowledgeable" ones when it comes to assistant hires. If the head coach makes bad assistant hires that's on the head coach and justification for why the head coach isn't the right guy for the job. 

I definitely disagree with this take, with the caveat of the person involved. It's another version of the "Yoor nawt a c0rch" shit that is also fucking stupid. There are plenty of ADs that operate the way you suggest, but if a bunch of us fucktards on a recruiting website can talk about good and bad moves in the recruiting landscape, understanding the different hires and players and expectations, I've got no problem with an intelligent person like CDC paying attention himself and offering critiques if required. Plenty of successful CEOs come from marketing or other areas of expertise, but they can look at a failing manufacturing division with diminished year over year returns compared to competitors, and make sound decisions that changes need to be made. And really successful CEOs from technical backgrounds can become CEO's and still oversee good marketing campaigns. If the guy is smart and doesn't have blinders on like a narcissistic head coach might, he can butt right the fuck in for all I care. But you're just perpetuating the "coaches as experts" being the same thing as "coaches are really smart and don't make mistakes." That's not how this, or any facet of life works. 

By the same token, micromanaging bosses can be nightmares, and some folks might not want to work for one. But there's not black and white, that's fucking stupid. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

What I heard about staff changes last year was that he didn’t want to make them because it would have potentially destabilized what ended up being a fantastic recruiting class.

So he’s doing a two step to the door for a few guys. In addition, he didn’t have better choices lined up when he was hired, or after year 1. I assume he will have replacements lined up and the recruiting class relatively secured should one or two be gone this year.

I mean, everyone heard that, but that was the narrative Herman put out there when boosters expressed dissatisfaction and were pressuring him to make changes. And it wasn't just the recruiting class in his narrative, it was also the "culture build" and "same coaches for 2 years in a row" which, if you haven't noticed, he continues to hammer home over and over and over again all season when asked what's changed. You think he's speaking to you, Joe Fan, when he says that 2-3 times a press conference? He's not. He's reinforcing his decisions last off-season, and tacitly saying "I told you so."

Now, having weathered that storm and the team showing some forward progress, the question is going to be how he reacts to your second point. Will he cut bait on some dead weight and shuffle a couple guys out? Or will he double down on being vindicated and knowing what's best all along and make minimal, if any, changes? We'll all find out. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Ole Miss fans are celebrating. What's the story?

@texifornia

Hi from Ireland.

@texasstrong12 pretty much nailed it. How much of that is Longo (who's done a terrific job with Ta'amu and often made the most of Ole Miss' really disjointed roster) and how much is Matt Luke having the mental capacity of the Ajax Diner turnip dip is up for serious debate.