Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Wow. Major bullet...no, atomic bomb...dodged with this kid.

18 years seems a bit steep, no? I know nothing about the law.

He couldn't convince the judge that he suffered from affluenza.

Otherwise he would have gotten probation. 

Spoiler

— Texas already has one quarterback commit in the 2020 recruiting class in Hudson Card, but the Longhorns could another. Rising Houston Austin quarterback Malik Hornsby will camp and visit Texas tomorrow. From what I have been able to gather, Hornsby’s family wants him closer to home, and he is really high on the UT program. Hornsby doesn’t appear to be deterred by Card’s commitment as evidenced by his visit. I put in a Crystal Ball pick tonight.

— I also put in a Crystal Ball pick for three-star George Ranch defensive end Peter Mpagi. While he doesn’t have a Texas offer, Mpagi is a prospect the Longhorns have liked and evaluated for a while. Mpagi will camp with Texas tomorrow and with a good showing, it wouldn’t be surprising to see an offer eventually go his way. UT is Mpagi’s dream school, so this would basically be a layup land.

4COMMENTS

— Five-star Dunham School (La.) cornerback Derek Stingley announced that he would be making his commitment on June 20. I have every reason in the world to believe that LSU will be the pick. However, I’m told that Texas is his No. 2. If anything happens with LSU and the coaching staff, Texas will be at the top of his mind.

— Four-star 2020 Freedom Prep (TN) offensive lineman Chris Morris, who holds a UT offer, made an unofficial visit to Texas today. Morris had an opportunity to meet with the staff and get an in-depth look at the program. Morris is expected to be back on campus tomorrow, and it appears his interest in Texas is growing.

^^EJ after dark: Two Crystal Ball picks in for Texas 

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

They’re consoling themselves with the possibility of him maybe also showing up for the picnic

Now Pepperoni is saying he won’t go to the picnic because he has a prior engagement (that he didn’t remember to tell anyone about till today I guess)

EJ lunch notes:

— According to sources, Texas is feeling better and better about where it stands with key offensive line target Branson Bragg. While Stanford remains a threat, we are told that Bragg is leaning towards staying closer to home. He and his family love Texas and are building a strong relationship with Herb Hand. We also feel that Texas has the in-state edge over Texas A&M at this time.

— Texas is set to host another offered target today. Fast-rising wide receiver Jaylen Ellisinformed Horns247 that he would be on the Forty Acres today for an unofficial visit. Ellis recently picked up an offer from the Longhorns and has high interest in the program. If Texas pushes hard, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him eventually flip his commitment from Baylor.

— Four-star Saint Louis Lutheran North (MO) offensive lineman Jack Buford is slated to make his commitment this week. Buford was supposed to visit Texas last month but never made his way down to Austin. Right now, this one appears to be an Oklahoma-Missouri battle.

— There was a report out there that stated that four-star Wekiva (Fla.) outside linebacker Rian Davis would be visiting this weekend. However, Davis is still scheduled to make it in next weekend as we originally reported. For those wondering, yes, it will be an official visit.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

EJ lunch notes:

— According to sources, Texas is feeling better and better about where it stands with key offensive line target Branson Bragg. While Stanford remains a threat, we are told that Bragg is leaning towards staying closer to home. He and his family love Texas and are building a strong relationship with Herb Hand. We also feel that Texas has the in-state edge over Texas A&M at this time.

Get Shepherd and Bragg and we win the state by far for OL.  

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Get Shepherd and Bragg and we win the state by far for OL.  

No doubt, but I don't care nearly as much about Shepherd (and I don't think you do either based on your past comments).  Getting Bragg is the huge need spot. We could find a replacement for Shepherd, although probably not quite as good as him. If we were to miss on Bragg, I have no clue who would fill that spot.  We need a real C desperately.  

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

No doubt, but I don't care nearly as much about Shepherd (and I don't think you do either based on your past comments).  Getting Bragg is the huge need spot. We could find a replacement for Shepherd, although probably not quite as good as him. If we were to miss on Bragg, I have no clue who would fill that spot.  We need a real C desperately.  

Oh I definitely hope we land Shepherd.  Now if I had to pick 1 of the 2 it'd be Bragg hands down.  Like you said we need a Center badly.  He's probably starting his 2nd year at Center.

IT

Our fun cycle, full of twists and turns continues into the summer camp season. It's been an interesting cycle to follow with out-of-state recruiting easier to predict than instate recruiting. I never would have believed this had I not been personally smacked upside the head with that reality.

While it's important to note that quirk, I doubt it holds to form as the cycle persists. The reason being, the long game will over time become the short game and recruitments will continue to crystallize. 

Trend lines are fun, if sometimes useless to discuss. They can change rather quickly, especially in an ever-changing climate. Recruitments turning on a dime, curiously, will always be something to contend with, but those are still in the minority.

Texas currently has one guy in the calculator, and another who would be there too if he weren't an out-of-state player. Hailing from so far away adds a variable that should at least be monitored. It will still very likely work out between Texas and that player especially given his priority status. Other than those two, everybody is up for grabs. Let's calibrate how the current targets are trending.

Up doesn't necessarily mean a recent spike, it could just mean Texas his holding steady on an upward trend. The same, but different, for downward. Neutral means I don't have a great grasp for the prospect, e.g., Rian Davis. He likes Texas. He likes other schools. Texas has to flat out win it. Or neutral could just mean Texas doesn't have a good chance or poor chance, just a chance. Again, Rian Davis.

Texas will take one, maybe two running backs. Right now there is one clear priority. 

RB Noah Cain, IMG (Bradenton, FL): UP. Knowing LSU was going to pull two highly rated running backs I've long felt good about Texas and Cain. The staff is content to work this one until December, which is a great sign of how it feels. Ohio State should be monitored but they already have one highly rated commit and took three ball carriers last cycle while Texas took one. 

Wide receiver is a very interesting position this cycle. The staff needs a difference maker or two and already has two fantastic talents committed in Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith. I get asked all the time if Whittington is a receiver and the answer is YES, at least until he isn't. That won't be determined for a while and he does have real upside at the position. I've stated he could be a late round receiver. Of course he could be an early round safety. Smith is the dynamic slot the offense needs and will play immediately. The larger question is who will be the X and Z? Texas could take five in the class because there is the potential for significant positional ambiguity. 

WR Dylan Wright, West (Mesquite, TX): Neutral. I have him neutral because his process is going to a long one that could be filled with some tedious moments. If I had to pick a school I would pick Texas. If I could pick the field, I might do that. Still, Wright likes Texas and is always complimentary of Drew Mehringer. He's incredibly valuable because he could be a target X or explosive Z. 

WR Elijah Higgins, Bowie (Austin, TX): UP. With the caveat that Stanford is still a significant threat. Visiting Texas in consecutive weeks is a great opportunity to renew momentum in this one. He's an interesting prospect. He could be a X or H (slot) thanks to unique mobility for his body type. Usage could be similar to LJH. 

WR Makiya Tongue, University Lab (Baton Rogue, LA): UP. Things have been a bit quiet of late with Tongue but I'm still of the opinion Texas is the team to beat because he trusts that he'll be given a real chance to play his preferred position. If Texas can land him it's easy to understand the quandary -- he could affect both receiver and linebacker recruiting. As a receiver he's an X or H. He does have some real skills for the position, but that body type and mobility would make for a very good Rover prospect and those guys are in limited supply. 

WR Marcus Washington, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO): Neutral. The second Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State the staff went full bore on Washington. Problem is, he wants to announce this summer. Texas is desperately trying to get him to campus this summer an there's a good chance the staff will be successful in that regard. He'll be a tough pull. 

WR Langston Anderson, Heritage (Midlothian, TX): Neutral. What I say for Anderson goes for the following three. It was a surprise to some even at Texas these three were offered. They are good players and have clear ability, but it was too early to reach. I do tend to think Ellis is the biggest priority of the three and he'll be the most intriguing one to watch over the course of the season. All three can play Z with Ellis being the 'take the top off' guy a la Devin Duvernay (at least in theory). 

WR Jaylen Ellis, Cedar Ridge (Round Rock, TX): Neutral. 

WR Peyton Powell, Permian (Odessa, TX): Neutral. 

There are some other guys who will emerge. As Justin has mentioned watch TQ Jackson. He's superior to the three recent offers. The staff will continue to look out-of-state and some of those guys will visit. Of course, Garrett Wilson will be worked on until he boards that plane for Columbus.

With Tyler Johnson committed the working number for o-line is four. The staff wants lengthy, tackle-first guys with the exception of Branson Bragg. But they still want length for interior players with explains the passing interest in EJ Ndoma-Ogar. Kenyon Green committing to A&M is not ideal but it was also expected. They will still work on him but that increases the priority on Javonne Shepherd.

OL Branson Bragg, Crandall (Crandall, TX): UP. Stanford was a real threat and took the lead but thanks to Herb Hand we have UT back in the saddle here. The staff did a great job of recalibrating its approach and it's working.

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): UP. We've felt Texas was most likely for a while now but recent indications are even more positive. We feel it boils down to Alabama and Texas and we expect proximity to work in UT's favor. Alabama not having room might also play a factor but that brings us to variable #1, 2o2o wide receiver Demond Demas. Bama is Bama and doesn't need to package players but with Shepherd being a take for anyone and Demas being a priority for everyone they may make an exception. Demas is important because he also likes Texas. We feel like they will end up a the same school. A&M being omitted from the Demas portion of the discussion isn't an oversight. We don't see him signing with A&M. Variable #2, Shepherd's girlfriend is going to attend UT. I *think* that's a positive but it would be folly to assume it is. I don't know what kind of college experience he's looking for. Variable #3, Texas offered his 2018 teammate, Damond Wiggins Jr., as PWO walk-on running back. He arrived on campus on Sunday. Chances that development is a random coincidence are low. I expect the heat to be turned up on Shepherd who is visiting today. He wants to wait and take his time, just like Tyler Johnson and Kenyon Green. Let's see if Texas pushes to close.

OL Stacey Wilkins, Camden Fairview (Camden, AR): Neutral. We've heard some weird things out of Arkansas this recruiting cycle that make some recruitments really hard to predict. Some of it explains Arkansas struggling on the trail. Wilkins is expected to take an official in September I believe. In the coming weeks he'll officially visit Arkansas and USC. Rankings are funny. He's more likely to end up at left tackle than any big-time o-lineman in-state.

Considering the needs the staff doesn't have a lot of offers out. That's a good thing. We've mentioned William Putnam from Tampa Plant (same school as Andrew Beck). He says he's going to research Texas and see if he likes them enough to visit. A recruitment or two like this will come out of nowhere at some point.

DL DeMarvin Leal, Judson (Converse, TX): Neutral. We believe Leal and Texas is still very possible. We're not saying likely, but possible. He'll still visit Alabama and Clemson and any pulling on loose threads could help unravel him from A&M.

DL Faatui Tuitele, St. Louis (Honolulu, HI): DOWN. Texas made the top-five for a player who never would have visited in previous years. That would appear to be 'UP' but we think UT is a long shot. Getting players of this profile to visit is a start and Jake Langi is going to land him some guys over time.

DL Taurean Carter, Legacy (Mansfield, TX): Neutral. I think he's a guy they want to keep warmer for late cycle. He's a swing candidate and Texas already has one of those in T'Vondre Sweat. It is important to keep in mind he's Jalen Catalon's teammate.

DL Marcus Hicks, Northwest (Wichita, KS): DOWN. Texas started out pretty hot here but Michigan and OU are in front. He's definitely in the staff's top tier of d-line targets. He needs to get back to campus for the staff to have a chance. Keep working, though, because UT's d-ends are about to go off this season. It's an attractive scheme because even in a three-man front they aren't two-gapping.

DL Jacoby Jones, Butler C.C. (El Dorado, KS): UP. Pretty bouncy dude. He visited recently and loved it. He'll take an official visit this fall. If no other big schools jump in Texas is the favorite.

DL Jermaine Johnson, Independence C.C. (Independence, KS): DOWN. He's obviously biding time before the NFL. Georgia emerged as a clear leader after he visited in mid-May, which tells you they told him he's a priority. As mentioned, Texas does have a good sell here. Two seniors are about to go off and make way for a ton of snaps. Johnson would be a sensational stop-gap that would allow younger players more time to develop.

LB David Gbenda, Cinco Ranch (Katy, TX): DOWN. Texas isn't pushing as hard as A&M right now and a commitment to the Aggies this weekend would surprise no one. 

LB Spencer Lytle, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA): NEUTRAL. We're investigating further and will update. If the staff isn't pushing for Gbenda they're likely pushing elsewhere. The staff likes Lytle for Mac.

LB Rian Davis, Wekiva (Apopka, FL): NEUTRAL. He'll visit the weekend of 6-15 and the staff needs to kill it. Signs point to him staying in the Southeast, though it is mildly interesting he just took an official visit to Louisville. He's always extremely prompt when returning my texts which is a sign of genuine interest in the school. We should have a better feel on this one in a couple weeks. If the staff can somehow pair De'Gabriel Floyd with Davis, Texas would have a linebacker corp that looks and moves like Bama's. 

More linebackers will emerge in all likelihood, but remember the way Tongue affects the class, should he join, will merit a watchful eye. 

The number at defensive back is 4-5 with the latter probably more likely.

DB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (Alvin, TX): UP. ALVIIIIIIIIN!, doesn't really produce many ballers. Different water than what's in Angleton, apparently. Caldwell can go, though, and there's a good chance he'll go to Texas. His offer won't last forever. Leverage.

DB Jalen Catalon, Legacy (Mansfield, TX): UP. Kid fits the UT profile and I've been optimistic since he was offered. That was even before Craig Naivar really put his hooks in. Coach Naiver being fluent in baseball has been a bit of a game-changer. Anywhere but Texas would be big surprise to me.

DB Derek Stingley, Dunham School (Baton Rouge, LA): NEUTRAL. Dude is almost assuredly going to LSU, but the staff has positioned itself in second place should LSU tank. Even then, he might be a tough pull.

DB Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Lakewood, CA): UP. Feeling good here. He'll take his official in the fall but he might have been won over on his unofficial in May. He's a baller and Texas is easily the most likely school at this point.

DB Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX): UP. The staff is recruiting the cover safety like a priority and things are looking pretty promising as of now. One thing I don't have any clue about is if Deion Sanders has any influence and if so, how much and does it affect Texas negatively or positively?

DB Noa Pola-Gates, Williams Field (Gilbert, AZ): NEUTRAL. My gut feeling is Texas would have room for one of Cine, NP-G, but not both. Pola-Gates definitely has interest in Texas and his mother is trying to coordinate a visit "soon." Of course it helps that fellow Arizonans, Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock, are in his ear. From messaging with him this kid has a lot of personality. I think some aspects of the program may appeal to him. A visit could make this one interesting, at least that's my read.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It's pronounced "Pudgy." I think IT reported the pronunciation some time back.

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

EJ might be in need of another frappuccino - this CB is out of left field.

2 hours ago, ousux said:

I just..

So which is silent, the M or p?

As I have said earlier couple weeks ago. My gf teaches Peter (again no pics). It is pronounced Pudgy.

Also, funny story. My gf asked him where he wanted to go. He said. "ASU because it's a party school and the girls are hot there". I said smart man.

But yesterday he showed up with a UT shirt on to school. So who knows. 

That'll be 9.95. bitcoin only though. 

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

DB Lewis Cine, Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, TX): UP. The staff is recruiting the cover safety like a priority and things are looking pretty promising as of now. One thing I don't have any clue about is if Deion Sanders has any influence and if so, how much and does it affect Texas negatively or positively?

All accounts have Sanders being neutral with his players. He wants them to go somewhere in which they'll be treated right by the staff and get an opportunity to play. Who knows, though?

Just now, Machinator said:

Random people on shag/surly; i.e., people saying A&M should have hired Morris over Jimbo.

Yeah, I think @billfromlaketravis first pointed this out, but people were way overestimating his recruiting.  I'm not sure why people on here ever thought he was a great recruiter, other than wishful thinking because they wanted to see him beat out Jimbo for Gunnell and some other players and want to see Arky beat aggy every year.

19 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yeah, I think @billfromlaketravis first pointed this out, but people were way overestimating his recruiting.  I'm not sure why people on here ever thought he was a great recruiter, other than wishful thinking because they wanted to see him beat out Jimbo for Gunnell and some other players and want to see Arky beat aggy every year.

Arky Chad is a good coach. Good evaluator. The Piggies are going to have be patient with him as a recruiter. He had his guys ready to play against U of H and Herman a few years back at SMU.

Hiring The Chief as a via satellite DC probably wasn't a good idea. It's hard to win many recruiting battles with a HC finding himself as a recruiter and a DC working a no show job. 

I think Traylor will find enough guys in East Texas to keep their heads above water while they're rebuilding the program. They need to beat Aggy though. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis