Texas recruiting notes 2019

I thought most kids in Cali dreamed of going to Thailand to get stoned.

I have a feeling most kids today couldn’t give a flying f*ck about whether he smoked dope. Seeing that he was able to achieve the pinnacle of success coming from Cal to Texas is what would get their attention, whether they’ve heard of him or not. Of course, our recent suckage doesn’t reinforce that right now. If USC can stay shaky and UCLA not turn around under Chip, we might be able to build a nice pipeline.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Others of interest:

1. Derek Stingley

4. Kayvon Thibodeaux

8. Trey Sanders

14. Kardell Thomas

16. Chris Steele

26. Owen Pappoe

35. Spencer Rattler

58. Faatui Tuitele

80. John Emery

82. Mycah Pittman

98. Hudson Henry

100. Rian Davis

Rivals might as well just start calling it the "Top 100 guys who have attended our camps. P.S. Bonus points if you're a sooner commit."  The only top 100 list I would care less about would be if Kurt Bohls started putting out a Top 100 list. 

I'd even care more about @futureman's list.  Preview: Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Rashan Gary, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle. 

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, Ricky unfortunately was a little bit of a national joke towards the end of his career with his break in Thailand to go smoke weed for a while and all that. He's not tremendously relevant anymore except as part of a history of success.

Rio Don is a legend sir. How dare you!

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Should we be ignoring the 247 composite and just go with the 247 rankings? What other services are included in their composite now that they own scout? Is it just them and Rivals and ESPN? 

247 by itself is probably the best, although you still see some wonky rankings on there from time to time

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Should we be ignoring the 247 composite and just go with the 247 rankings? What other services are included in their composite now that they own scout? Is it just them and Rivals and ESPN? 

Not sure it's good to ignore anyone, really. Remember, 247 is also the school that thinks Roschon Johnson is like the 700th best player in the country. 

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Rivals might as well just start calling it the "Top 100 guys who have attended our camps. P.S. Bonus points if you're a sooner commit."  The only top 100 list I would care less about would be if Kurt Bohls started putting out a Top 100 list. 

I'd even care more about @futureman's list.  Preview: Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Rashan Gary, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle, Waddle. 

Much like a fantasy league, I think we should each compile our Top 100 list for 2019 and look back on it for the lulz later. My Internet betting radar is now on high alert.

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Yes, though ESPN is not as bad as rivals. Hamilton and Luginbill do good work, ESPN just doesn't throw a lot of resources at it.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure it's good to ignore anyone, really. Remember, 247 is also the school that thinks Roschon Johnson is like the 700th best player in the country. 

This is the problem I have with the rankings. The number of stars is a good indicator of success but the system still has flaws. It is pretty apparent to many people that there are players under ranked like Brayden Liebrock and Roschon Johnson and there are others like Theo Wease who are highly overrated. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is the problem I have with the rankings. The number of stars is a good indicator of success but the system still has flaws. It is pretty apparent to many people that there are players under ranked like Brayden Liebrock and Roschon Johnson and there are others like Theo Wease who are highly overrated. 

Our guys are underrated and their guys are overrated. I get it and I like it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Our guys are underrated and their guys are overrated. I get it and I like it.

Nah, I just don't follow recruiting enough right now to know every recruit in the Big 12. I just picked those 3 because all 3 of them are ranked incorrectly. I can't tell you what the ranking is of guys like King Doerue and Maverick McIvor and Jacob Zeno but it wouldn't surprise me if they were underrated.

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wease is really fucking good. He might not be top 3 in the nation good, but he's fucking good. Now Arjei Henderson at 27 in the country? Laughable. That dude isn't even as good as the other Sooner WR recruit (Trejan Bridges). Don't think he's top 27 in the state. Beason? LOOOOOOOOOL

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I'd say no. Losing Scout sucked from that standpoint since they were the second best at rankings behind 247.  All the services have their flaws, including 247, and I still think the composite does the best job of smoothing everything out.  Rivals and ESPN are both bad about committing limited resources to scouting, so they overrate kids who go to the camps they like and underrate kids they never see, however they don't rely on the same camps so using the composite kind of makes them even each other out.

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Brayden Liebrock isn't really all that underrated. 247 has him as a low 4 star and the composite has him just outside a low 4 star ranking.  I don't think that's too off. He's a 6'5, 220 lb receiving TE without elite athleticism. The fat part of the bell curve for him is being a productive player for us but not having high-ceiling, All-American type-potential, which is pretty much what a low 4 star should be. 

I'm sure this next one will induce rage in some folks, but here we go. 247 is obviously low on Johnson but the composite having him at a 92 and the #201 player in the country isn't far off. He's a great runner but he doesn't have great speed, and he's definitely on the small side.  He has a lot of work to do in his passing mechanics before he can be a consistently good QB. He's got a lot of potential but also a ways to go to reach it, so his composite ranking doesn't seem all that off, either.  Theo Wease, now that's just crazy.  Same for Arjei.   

Looking at our commits, no one is egregiously ranked. Whittington (at elast as a WR) is probably a little overrated, in part because he's hit the camps hard the last two years and Jake Smith is probably underrated, in part because he doesn't do  camps. The one consistent trend you can find is that guys who go to camps early and often tend to be overrated and guys who don't tend to be underrated.  Late bloomers obviously tend to be underrated too.  The All-American games seem to help level both this out a bit by the final rankings. 

Overall though, the composite still seems to put most guys in roughly the right place (obviously, there are some big exceptions) and using it as an aggregate way to measure a class is still pretty sound.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well the Shepherd recruitment sure is a gift to the #MarchTo1000

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

EJ says he's visiting both aggy and Texas this weekend.

Thought I posted it here but it was in the Jimbo thread. The Shepherd recruitment is going to have a lot more twists and turns before February. Glad to hear he'll be at our pool party on Saturday. 

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Thought I posted it here but it was in the Jimbo thread. The Shepherd recruitment is going to have a lot more twists and turns before February. Glad to hear he'll be at our pool party on Saturday. 

Well Perroni says Shepherd is visiting Friday and Saturday so who knows.  This probably changes another time or two between the weekend.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well Perroni says Shepherd is visiting Friday and Saturday so who knows.  This probably changes another time or two between the weekend.

So he'd visit on Sunday when no one else is there? But go to aggy on Saturday when they're not doing anything special? Doesn't seem to add up. Like you said, I'd bet either Perroni has bad info or plans will change.

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

So he'd visit on Sunday when no one else is there? But go to aggy on Saturday when they're not doing anything special? Doesn't seem to add up. Like you said, I'd bet either Perroni has bad info or plans will change.

The way said it sounds like he's going with Green Friday and the Footwork King is bringing him and Demas on Saturday.

27 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Brayden Liebrock isn't really all that underrated. 247 has him as a low 4 star and the composite has him just outside a low 4 star ranking.  I don't think that's too off. He's a 6'5, 220 lb receiving TE without elite athleticism. The fat part of the bell curve for him is being a productive player for us but not having high-ceiling, All-American type-potential, which is pretty much what a low 4 star should be. 

Whatever service I looked up before lunch had him as a 3 star with offers from all the bigs. 4 star as you stated would make more sense.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Poor kid sounds like he's being pulled in 20 different directions by everyone in his life. You'd hope his parents could step in and enforce some discipline on the process, but obviously it doesn't always work out that way.

You mean rich kid. Being pulled in different directions has its advantages.

Am I the only one that gives zero fucks if Shepherd visits aggy?

If he goes and mysteriously commits on the spot it will mean one of two things..

1. He never really was a Texas lean..

2. It's a recruitment we don't really want to be involved in.

My guess is he goes, has a good time, (whatever the fuck that means in collie station) but ultimately becomes a Longhorn when all is said and done. No amount of wigging out by recruiting junkies will change this..

• Like 6

It's no surprise that most recruits seem to prefer signing on NSD1. Imagine having to deal with this shit for months on end.

If I was a top 100 I’d commit early and shut the shit down. If I got a bunch of calls from fucking dorks like Hamm and EJ the summer before my senior year I’d be pissed.

When I was going through the process, the only calls I got were from coaches and the DMN. And never on my personal line.

Granted I was not a top 100 or anything, but the DMN called once during dinner and my dad said only call on saturdays between 2-6. And they respected that.

This is insane.