Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

45 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

EJ: Big note on Demariyon Houston 

Reveal hidden contents

Texas had a very productive conversation with Houston last night. As we've been reporting, Texas has been making a late push here. I think they've done enough to leapfrog Oklahoma State ahead of his Saturday decision. Anything could happen as this is a strange recruitment, but Texas has done a hell of a job in the last 96 hours.

Lol, both EJ and IT are so full of shit, the “late surge” stuff is such nonsense.

• Like 3

god damn it stfu about giles
I agree. He may not be the best recruiter on staff, but I don't get all the hate for a pretty good position coach. Is there better out there? (Recruiter and player developer) Yes, probably, maybe, but we're rollin with Giles this year no matter what..

And no, I won't toss in a buck for a "Giles is not our standard" banner...he's an ex-Longhorn ffs.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

I agree. He may not be the best recruiter on staff, but I don't get all the hate for a pretty good position coach. Is there better out there? (Recruiter and player developer) Yes, probably, maybe, but we're rollin with Giles this year no matter what..

And no, I won't toss in a buck for a "Giles is not our standard" banner...he's an ex-Longhorn ffs.

Just when I thought we were done, with the Houston news dropping...

1 hour ago, ousux said:

I agree. He may not be the best is the worst recruiter on staff, but I don't get all the hate irritation for a pretty good decent position coach. Is Are there better out there? (Recruiter and player developer) Yes, probably, maybe, certainly but we're rollin with Giles this year no matter what..

And, even though this is a straw man and no one has mentioned this or contemplated it, I'm going to throw it out there, no, I won't toss in a buck for a "Giles is not our standard" banner...he's an ex-Longhorn ffs.

fify

• Like 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The reality is that TFB has lapped IT on this stuff, so if there is ever doubt between which crew is right on something, there is no doubt. /Ronin

TFB has my complete confidence with Oklahoma recruits. They know that state backwards and forwards. 

I like Inside Texas, but if the Brainiacs are confident on an Oklahoma kid to Texas, Nahlin/Wells/Cook need to make some extra phone calls. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't get the reluctance on taking Houston. He's a fluid, natural WR with pretty good track times. How many of those does Texas have on their current roster? 

Is there much reluctance? I think people were just noting it'd take some recruits off our WR board, including Jaylen Ellis who a lot of posters like.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't get the reluctance on taking Houston. He's a fluid, natural WR with pretty good track times. How many of those does Texas have on their current roster? 

I don't know his SPARQ or laser-timed scores or anything.  But just going from the eyeball test, he reminds me a lot of what Joshua Moore looked like on film as a junior.

35 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Humanity, time and time again, has shown that they’re not only willing to accept mediocrity, but they’re willing to accept someone pissing in their mouth and calling it rain as long as said person is wearing similar team colors. 

Usually you have to pay extra for that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't know his SPARQ or laser-timed scores or anything.  But just going from the eyeball test, he reminds me a lot of what Joshua Moore looked like on film as a junior.

From someone who's been around him up close and personal: "He can fly, Texas needs to add as many of those as they can find."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A lot of people like Josh Moore better as a DB. I think he sticks at WR at Texas, offense needs athletes. The DB Room is set right now. 

I won't go into the Hemphill transfer drama, but I think it's apt on the field comparison. Houston is a little bit better at this stage in his career. 

Josh Moore doesn't like contact.  

7 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Josh Moore doesn't like contact.  

What's wrong with that? It was full of plot holes. So the giant teleportation machine in the US is destroyed but then they just happen to have an identical secret giant teleporter ready to go in Japan, that no one else fucking knew about? That's fucking ridiculous. I'm with Josh Moore. Fuck that movie. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

What's wrong with that? It was full of plot holes. So the giant teleportation machine in the US is destroyed but then they just happen to have an identical secret giant teleporter ready to go in Japan, that no one else fucking knew about? That's fucking ridiculous. I'm with Josh Moore. Fuck that movie. 

q0v3n.gif

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas land Cain and Sanders?

What will it take for us to land a signature from both Noah Cain andTrey Sanders? -- waterboie

EJ: It’s going to be tough to get both. For Cain, it’s about improved offensive line play this season. For Sanders, it’s about NFL development and winning on the field. With a spectacular season on the field, it’s not farfetched to think Texas can get both. They have talked about playing with each other at the next level, and Texas is a school that can fit both of their needs. But again, it’s going to be difficult.

Mike: Texas needs to prove they can run the ball and have some developing offensive linemen in their future. These are huge points of emphasis for the Cain family and something they'll be watching throughout the season. They are also going to have to outwork some really spectacular recruiting staffs for both guys. When the field was more narrow for Cain it was an easier sell, but now that schools like Georgia and Penn State (who both had high draft picks at running back) it's becoming more murky.

If we get one of either Noah Cain orTrey Sanders, do we still take two running backs? If so, could you compare Deondrick Glass, Derrian Brown or any others as a potential second RB. Are they just looking for best available or do they want different skill sets if they take two? - professorbiggs

EJ: Yes, I could still see Texas taking two backs even if they get Cain or Sanders. I don’t think either cares if there is another back in the class. Brown would be ideal. He’s a faster back that would compliment either well. After that, it would probably be best available. I actually like Newton’s Darwin Barlow as a late take. He has an argument as the best back in the state this cycle and brings a complete skillset.

Mike: Brown might actually be the best fit for the offense even though he's not necessarily the most talented. I think Texas would love to take two high level guys regardless, and I believe Darwin Barlow would be in that discussion. I just don't see them really pushing for Glass at this point.

When talking about the 2020 class, it seems as if every discussion is about the defensive backs and for good reason because 2020 is loaded again just like 2018 was. But who is the staff targeting as priorities along the defensive line in-state and out-of-state? -- JT9732

EJ: Texas has only extended four offers along the defensive line in 2020. In-state, the two big early targets are Highland Park’s Prince Dorbah and Spring Woods’ Vernon Broughton. Both visited this offseason. Out-of-state, Texas has offered Jaquelin Roy and Darnell Washington. Roy also visited this offseason. Texas has also hosted in-state guys like Alec Bryant, Braedon Nutter and Princely Umanmielen. If I were the Longhorns, I would offer or at least show more interest in Newton’s James Sylvester and Dallas Carter’s Branard Wright.

Mike: EJ pretty much broke it down, but expect the lion share of offers to go out this fall when the staff can evaluate more targets.

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but what’s the relationship between Chris Adimora and guys like Bru McCoy and De’Gabriel Floyd, if any? Could be nice to have another Cali guy putting good words in McCoy’s ears. -- rtapp32

EJ: Adimora is another quiet kid. I’m not sure that he’s very close to Floyd or McCoy. However, landing Adimora is obviously a good look for the Longhorns out West. He is a national Top 200 recruit and a prospect those guys respect. Floyd is going to continue to be UT’s vocal leader in California. And as y’all know, he is very close to McCoy and spent a lot of time recruiting him at The Opening Finals this week.

Mike: It matters for perception, but like EJ said, I'm not sure the two are very close. Adimora isn't the same type of personality as Floyd, but he could develop into that. The more consensus you can build in a certain area, the better.

If we lose out on Javonne Shepherd after losing out on Branson Bragg, would it be time to panic? What other OL options are there? -- Hookem757

EJ: Yeah, it would be hard not to, especially with Shepherd naming Texas his leader throughout the summer. With that said, I still think Shepherd will jump on board. As far as other options, the only other offensive lineman Texas is really pushing for right now is IMG Academy’s Chris Akporoghene, who visited this summer. The Longhorns are still talking with TCU commit Andrew Coker as well. 

Mike: Texas could still put together a strong offensive line class, but losing on Shepherd would hurt for sure. EJ mentioned Akporoghene and Coker, and beyond that they'd have to move on to some second tier options. It's not an incredibly strong year in-state for offensive line, and many targets are already off the board.

Who's one recruit on both sides of the ball that you would love for UT to recruit/offer a scholarship to? -- uthaas

EJ: On the offensive side of the ball, I would go with Evan Neal. The IMG Academy offensive lineman visited in the offseason and really impressed at The Opening Finals. He’s reshaped his body, and I like him more than the aforementioned Coker. He said a Texas offer would make an impact on his recruitment. On the defensive side of the ball, give me Jonathan McGill. I don’t think there is a way to fit him unless Texas misses on Jalen Catalon. But the dude is a baller.

Mike: I really like Darwin Barlow on offense, and I feel like taking him wouldn't put you in jeopardy with Cain or Sanders. Since EJ took my choice on defense, I'll say Steven Parker. I know he's strongly committed to Texas Tech, but I think they could make things interesting. He's just too intriguing of a prospect to not entertain on that front.

From Super K:

Spoke with a couple sources regarding Javonne Shepherd. It started to look like Shepherd may pull the trigger sooner rather than later. And, I suppose that could still be the case.

However, based on what I’m told Shepherd wants to take some time with the process. So, at this point, I’m not expecting anything to happen this summer.

We still maintain that Texas A&M is the biggest threat, however, I’m told Texas remains his leader. It sounds like him taking a quick visit to Texas A&M and then promptly leaving to go to the Texas pool party earlier this summer, might have rubbed some TAMU folks the wrong way.

Bottom line here is that after my conversations I came away with the feeling that Shepherd wants to take his time and Texas is still in the lead.

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You, sir, can go fuck yourself. Contact was an awesome movie. Many folks may consider Failure to Launch or Ghosts of Girlfriends Past to be Matthew McConaughey's tour de force, but I stand firmly behind the position that it is indeed his role of Palmer Joss that defines both his career, and Jodie Foster's worldview on spirituality. 

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas land Cain and Sanders?

Hide contents

What will it take for us to land a signature from both Noah Cain andTrey Sanders? -- waterboie

EJ: It’s going to be tough to get both. For Cain, it’s about improved offensive line play this season. For Sanders, it’s about NFL development and winning on the field. With a spectacular season on the field, it’s not farfetched to think Texas can get both. They have talked about playing with each other at the next level, and Texas is a school that can fit both of their needs. But again, it’s going to be difficult.

Mike: Texas needs to prove they can run the ball and have some developing offensive linemen in their future. These are huge points of emphasis for the Cain family and something they'll be watching throughout the season. They are also going to have to outwork some really spectacular recruiting staffs for both guys. When the field was more narrow for Cain it was an easier sell, but now that schools like Georgia and Penn State (who both had high draft picks at running back) it's becoming more murky.

If we get one of either Noah Cain orTrey Sanders, do we still take two running backs? If so, could you compare Deondrick Glass, Derrian Brown or any others as a potential second RB. Are they just looking for best available or do they want different skill sets if they take two? - professorbiggs

EJ: Yes, I could still see Texas taking two backs even if they get Cain or Sanders. I don’t think either cares if there is another back in the class. Brown would be ideal. He’s a faster back that would compliment either well. After that, it would probably be best available. I actually like Newton’s Darwin Barlow as a late take. He has an argument as the best back in the state this cycle and brings a complete skillset.

Mike: Brown might actually be the best fit for the offense even though he's not necessarily the most talented. I think Texas would love to take two high level guys regardless, and I believe Darwin Barlow would be in that discussion. I just don't see them really pushing for Glass at this point.

When talking about the 2020 class, it seems as if every discussion is about the defensive backs and for good reason because 2020 is loaded again just like 2018 was. But who is the staff targeting as priorities along the defensive line in-state and out-of-state? -- JT9732

EJ: Texas has only extended four offers along the defensive line in 2020. In-state, the two big early targets are Highland Park’s Prince Dorbah and Spring Woods’ Vernon Broughton. Both visited this offseason. Out-of-state, Texas has offered Jaquelin Roy and Darnell Washington. Roy also visited this offseason. Texas has also hosted in-state guys like Alec Bryant, Braedon Nutter and Princely Umanmielen. If I were the Longhorns, I would offer or at least show more interest in Newton’s James Sylvester and Dallas Carter’s Branard Wright.

Mike: EJ pretty much broke it down, but expect the lion share of offers to go out this fall when the staff can evaluate more targets.

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but what’s the relationship between Chris Adimora and guys like Bru McCoy and De’Gabriel Floyd, if any? Could be nice to have another Cali guy putting good words in McCoy’s ears. -- rtapp32

EJ: Adimora is another quiet kid. I’m not sure that he’s very close to Floyd or McCoy. However, landing Adimora is obviously a good look for the Longhorns out West. He is a national Top 200 recruit and a prospect those guys respect. Floyd is going to continue to be UT’s vocal leader in California. And as y’all know, he is very close to McCoy and spent a lot of time recruiting him at The Opening Finals this week.

Mike: It matters for perception, but like EJ said, I'm not sure the two are very close. Adimora isn't the same type of personality as Floyd, but he could develop into that. The more consensus you can build in a certain area, the better.

If we lose out on Javonne Shepherd after losing out on Branson Bragg, would it be time to panic? What other OL options are there? -- Hookem757

EJ: Yeah, it would be hard not to, especially with Shepherd naming Texas his leader throughout the summer. With that said, I still think Shepherd will jump on board. As far as other options, the only other offensive lineman Texas is really pushing for right now is IMG Academy’s Chris Akporoghene, who visited this summer. The Longhorns are still talking with TCU commit Andrew Coker as well. 

Mike: Texas could still put together a strong offensive line class, but losing on Shepherd would hurt for sure. EJ mentioned Akporoghene and Coker, and beyond that they'd have to move on to some second tier options. It's not an incredibly strong year in-state for offensive line, and many targets are already off the board.

Who's one recruit on both sides of the ball that you would love for UT to recruit/offer a scholarship to? -- uthaas

EJ: On the offensive side of the ball, I would go with Evan Neal. The IMG Academy offensive lineman visited in the offseason and really impressed at The Opening Finals. He’s reshaped his body, and I like him more than the aforementioned Coker. He said a Texas offer would make an impact on his recruitment. On the defensive side of the ball, give me Jonathan McGill. I don’t think there is a way to fit him unless Texas misses on Jalen Catalon. But the dude is a baller.

Mike: I really like Darwin Barlow on offense, and I feel like taking him wouldn't put you in jeopardy with Cain or Sanders. Since EJ took my choice on defense, I'll say Steven Parker. I know he's strongly committed to Texas Tech, but I think they could make things interesting. He's just too intriguing of a prospect to not entertain on that front.

This Q&A article right here tells you all you need to know about the level of mental capacity possessed by the average poster at UT's 247 site. They are collectively dumber than a sack of hammers. The premise that there is any viability whatsoever to the fantasy of signing both Cain and Sanders at Texas is absurd bordering on plaid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Many of us were meh on Moore, even after he picked the good guys after his commit video dumbassery (Hi Leon!). I’m still wait and see on the kid, so this doesn’t scream take to me.