Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-4th-2/

Kenyatta Watson: As I previously noted, 2019 DB, Kenyatta Watson will make a return visit to Texas this week. He is expected to arrive tonight (Wednesday) and be in Austin till Thursday.

I spoke with Kenyatta’s father to get a sense of where things are in the process.

Watson is still down to Texas and Notre Dame. They visited Notre Dame about a week and a half ago. Watson tells me that for his son it’s a bit of a, “Heart says Texas. Brain says Notre Dame” situation.

I gather the reason for that is that there isn’t as much competition at the DB position at Notre Dame. Still, as Watson Sr says, “you’re going to have to compete wherever you go”.

Texas is making it very clear to Kenyatta just how high of a priority he is, “Texas is flat out out-recruiting Notre Dame”, Watson’s father noted. “They’re (Texas) recruiting him (Kenyatta) harder than anyone else”.

Something of note came up in my most recent conversation with Watson’s father which was that Kenyatta’s uncle lives just outside the Houston area. So, he has family ties in the area.

For this upcoming trip, the whole Watson family will be in attendance – Mom, Dad, two sisters and little brother.

Following this unofficial, Watson will return, one final time before his announcement, for an official visit on April 27th.

– (Super K)

– 2019 Wide Receiver Ainias Smith, Sugar Land (TX),  is one of the most underrated guys in the state. He has been extremely impressive everytime I’ve seen him on a field, and would be a nice take at a position of need for Texas. Smith was in Austin for the Texas Relays and was able to head over to talk to the Longhorn football staff. Ainias told me he enjoyed his visit to Texas, “It was nice. I really liked it… I was impressed with just the way they treated me and how the strength and conditioning program works.”

However, Ainias doesn’t understand the hold up with the offer, “I’m just very confused on what they’re waiting on to give me an offer, me and Jaylen Ellis… They’re basically saying I’m going to get it, but stay patient… I’ve been to three camps.”

Unfortunately for Ainias, this year is pretty loaded at wide receiver, otherwise he’d already have an offer. However, I think he’ll be a guy to possibly grab an offer over the summer. – (Will)

– As we reported earlier, Texas’ top WR prospect, Garrett Wilson, made it in to see this past weekend’s scrimmage.

Garrett lives in the Austin area. So, this obviously wasn’t his first trip to Texas. He likes just about everything Texas has to offer, but has been very clear about wanting to see improvement in the offense. In fact, if Texas had a better offense last year, Garrett Wilson likely would be a Longhorn commit right now.

However, when I asked about how his trip went and how the offense looked, he told me, “I wouldn’t say the offense looked too good throwing, but some of the younger players for sure looked good.”

Garrett just got back from his trip to Columbus a week earlier. He seemed a bit more enthralled with their program, “I mean they have just about everything to offer with that program up there. Hard to criticize when they’re almost always competing for a national championship. I’d say I’d like to see an improvement in the pass game too, but with Haskins and Baldwin up there I see them throwing it around more.”

Wilson announced this past weekend that he is down to two programs, Texas and Ohio State. He plans to take his official visit to Ohio State on April 13th – 15th. He will take his official visit to Texas the following weekend, April 20th – 22nd.

And, as he put it, “announce my commitment shortly after”. – (Will)

– 2019 DE/OLB, NaNa Osafo-Mensah made his way down to Texas this past weekend for a visit. Going into the visit, it’s been the commonly heldbelief that Notre Dame is the team to to beat.

NaNa has only visited Texas once before, which was for a camp. He’s also mentioned to me, previously, that life after football which include metrics like the alumni base and academics.

This visit was the first real visit NaNa has taken to Texas and the staff did exactly what they needed to, “I learned a lot about UT that I didn’t know before and now I really really really like what they got going down in Austin”.

I asked NaNa how hard Texas just made the decision and he exclaimed, “very”.

NaNa will visit Notre Dame later this month for his official visit. He will then take an official to Texas in early May and follow that up with a commitment announcement on May 19th.

Bottom line here is that it seems Texas asserted themselves in this battle. – (Super K)

– I was able to exchange a few texts with Tabari Hines, the Wake Forest Grad Transfer wide receiver who visited Texas this weekend.

He said the visit was, “awesome. Very big on family out there and that’s what stood out the most”. He also noted that the staff told him they’d like to use him the slot but also as a return man.

He has backed off exactly which schools he will visit. Tabari had previously mentioned Oregon, Oklahoma and Marshall.

He said he’s still working on setting up visits. Also, it does not sound like Texas has offered him just yet. So, as of right now, still no Texas offer. – (Super K)

Edited by Machinator

Sounds like NaNa is entering calculator territory if he's that high on Texas after one visit and we get his last OV before he announces.  I agree with bill and Fud that NaNa likely projects to an end, likely the position the staff uses Hager in this year.  He doesn't have the speed or movement skills for B-backer, or at least he won't when he fills out to about 260, but I really like him as a DE. He shows a good combination of explosiveness and power, while also knowing how to use his long arms to leverage OL. If you go to 1:46 in this video, you can see he has all the tools to be a very good DE.  Also in this video are Branson Bragg (he gets owned by Taurean Carter quite a bit), Stacy Wilkins, Jayden Jernigan. 

Taurean Carter looked pretty impressive.  I haven't heard much about him in regards to Texas, but he might not be a bad offer at the end of the cycle if we need one more DL. https://247sports.com/Player/Taurean-Carter-46042131

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

So does the realistic dream class look about like this right now?

• QB: Roschon
  • RB: Cain
  • WR: Whittington, Wilson, Higgins, Wright
  • TE: Cupp or Wiley??
  • OL: Green, Johnson, Shepherd, Bragg, EJNO
  • DL: Sweat, NaNa, Leal
  • LB: Floyd, Gbenda, Henry, Davis?
  • DB: Banks, Watson, Richardson, Cine
  • ATH: Tongue

That's only 24, so throw in a couple more BPAs. I'm least sure of what's going on at TE, LB, and DB.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:
  • ??

I'd add Catalon at S. He seems to be extremely high on the staff's board. And if we're really dreaming, then I want Sanders over Cain.  I'd also expect the staff to take a 4th DL, maybe that Juco Jermaine Johnson, or a late riser. 

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

That's only 24, so throw in a couple more BPAs. I'm least sure of what's going on at TE, LB, and DB.

That's a lot of Koolaid on the OL

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Pretty much. Although I want two running backs. 

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wilkins and Catalon need to be in here if we're talking dream class. Wilkins is the best OL we're in on, imo, and Catalon is a Texas lean. 

Even if we miss on a couple of the top six OL we like, I trust this staff to find late bloomers, and OL is my favorite position to find these types if you have the right guys evaluating and developing. As long as we land three or four of the Green/Shepherd/Johnson/Bragg/EJNO/Wilkins group, I'm not concerned. 

The staff is telling Cain that they want to take two RBs, so you should probably have a second one in there. If the second is Major, then you can probably add Houston as a fifth WR. Keep in mind those two play 2A ball in Oklahoma when watching their highlights. Glass could be the RB2 too. I'd love to find someone similar to Sqwirl Williams to pair with Cain.

We could take a 5th WR; Houston, Ainias Smith, Jaylen Ellis, or even Arjei Henderson late if we circle back all could fit here. The dream here is Jake Smith, but he might be a long shot. 

I could see us taking just one TE if we can't land someone like Liebrock or Cupp, and going just with Wiley. Land a national TE1 type like Liebrock or Cupp, and pair Wiley with him, and you have your idea TE class. Not sure if Liebrock is realistic though. 

Might need to add one more DL. Jermaine Johnson would be great, as would Fat Tutti. 

It'll be interesting to see if we go after Maverick McIvor as a QB2. At this point, it's probably too tough to land Zeno as a QB2. 

Ugwoegbu would be a nice b-backer/h-back/TE athlete take. 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'd add Catalon at S. He seems to be extremely high on the staff's board. And if we're really dreaming, then I want Sanders over Cain.  I'd also expect the staff to take a 4th DL, maybe that Juco Jermaine Johnson, or a late riser. 

Kate told me that it would be errrrbody!

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

That's a lot of Koolaid on the OL

Yeah. It all depends on how you weight "realistic" versus "dream". Same deal for @UT Lawnghorn's comment on Cain/Sanders. Maybe I should have said something like "realistic class that doesn't involve moving on to plan B anywhere". Doesn't have the same ring to it. Chris Steele is another tough call. I think he falls more on the side of "unrealistic dream" at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Might need to add one more DL. Jermaine Johnson would be great, as would Fat Tutti. 

Apologies for quoting myself, but it won't let me edit. I'd add that there are a lot of fungible second tier DL options in the state, so we can afford to go after big fish for awhile and then circle back later and pick the ones who've separated from the pack. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Feels like if Bama really wants him, they'll get him, but we'll see what happens when he can take visits.

Yeah, I certainly don't think we have the best odds of signing him right now. Ifsome of Bama's young LBs come on this year and he doesn't see a starting spot for himself there, plus he visits campus and Gary Johnson puts the hard sell on, we could have a good chance at him.

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Did Henry commit/sign anywhere coming out of high school?  I seem to remember that Gary Johnson's failure to qualify out of HS after having signed with Alabama, prevented him from going to any SEC school.  Maybe we can run that play again?

That wasn't the reason for GJ not going to Bama. It had to do with a specific class that was required, and it was an SEC requirement, so he couldn't go to any school in the SEC.  

Just now, UT Lawnghorn said:

That wasn't the reason for GJ not going to Bama. It had to do with a specific class that was required, and it was an SEC requirement, so he couldn't go to any school in the SEC.  

He took the class online iirc, which was against SEC rules or something 

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

It was broader than that.  I recall there being something having to do with the SEC requiring Juco transfers to have spent some number (3?) consecutive semesters at the JUCO they obtained their associate's degree from?

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Seems odd to find the word "rules" in a sentence about the SEC. Used as a noun, anyway. 

They have some random rules regarding JUCOs and other transfers that other conferences don't have 

Since we're talking numbers and takes and this is a new board, what the hell.

• QB 1 - RoJo - A transfer before the season leads to a safety selection at QB2
  • TB 2 - Cain, Unknown - They're looking for a tweener between A-back and TB outside of Major and Cain
  • TE 2 - National Guy, Local Project - I could see them going with just one here
  • WR 4 - Whittington, Wilson, Higgins, Wright - They purposefully have held off on pushing for legit talent in guys like Henderson because they think they're landing the top guys on their board.
  • Center 1 - Bragg - Outside of RoJo, I think this is the most important guy in this class. 
  • OG 2 - Green, Local Project - I have a hard time seeing them not taking 5 OLs in this class.
  • OT 2 - Shepard, Johnson - I do not think we get Wilkins
  • DT 2 - Leal, Guessy McGuessterson - The Hawaiian is a wild card with no natural allegiances. It's still tough for me to buy.
  • DE 2 - Sweat, NOMNOMNOMNOM - I could see a fifth DL coming in the form of a thinner guy and Sweat growing into DT
  • OLB 2 - Floyd, Davis - Floyd may grow into more of a MLB type. I think they really want Davis. 
  • MLB 1 -Gbenda
  • CB 2 - Banks, TB Determined - A lot of people think this is where Watson lands. Same is said for Steele, but I think he winds up at safety, and not for Texas. 
  • S 2 - Catalon, Known Unknown - I do not believe that Richardson is going to show up in time, and Texas will approach others by the summer. If Richardson makes an appearance, maybe he's the other guy.
  • Quick Athlete 1 - Watson
  • Big Athlete 1 - Knowny Unknownistan - Maybe someone like an Mpagi or Ugwoegbu or another large Nigerian that can project to multiple positions.

I don't see Texas signing less than 25 and I think 27-28 is where it finishes if they win 9+ and get into a feeding frenzy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

• TB 2 - Cain, Unknown - They're looking for a tweener between A-back and TB outside of Major and Cain
  • TE 2 - National Guy, Local Project - I could see them going with just one here
  • WR 4 - Whittington, Wilson, Higgins, Wright - They purposefully have held off on pushing for legit talent in guys like Henderson because they think they're landing the top guys on their board.
  • Center 1 - Bragg - Outside of RoJo, I think this is the most important guy in this class. 
  • OG 2 - Green, Local Project - I have a hard time seeing them not taking 5 OLs in this class.
  • DT 2 - Leal, Guessy McGuessterson - The Hawaiian is a wild card with no natural allegiances. It's still tough for me to buy.
  • DE 2 - Sweat, NOMNOMNOMNOM - I could see a fifth DL coming in the form of a thinner guy and Sweat growing into DT
  • OLB 2 - Floyd, Davis - Floyd may grow into more of a MLB type. I think they really want Davis. 
  • MLB 1 -Gbenda
  • CB 2 - Banks, TB Determined - A lot of people think this is where Watson lands. Same is said for Steele, but I think he winds up at safety, and not for Texas. 
  • S 2 - Catalon, Known Unknown - I do not believe that Richardson is going to show up in time, and Texas will approach others by the summer. If Richardson makes an appearance, maybe he's the other guy.
  • Big Athlete 1 - Knowny Unknownistan - Maybe someone like an Mpagi or Ugwoegbu or another large Nigerian that can project to multiple positions.

I don't see Texas signing less than 25 and I think 27-28 is where it finishes if they win 9+ and get into a feeding frenzy. 

I agree on Bragg.  Not only cuz he's a beast but also because not many options in state at the position. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

• MLB 1 -Gbenda

Leal is a 4i. With his pass rushing ability, he must stay outside. 

Sweat will be a nose tackle eventually. He will play 4i though as he gains weight. 

Watson is a corner. 

Gbenda is a Rover. Floyd Mike. Rian Davis B-Backer extraordinaire. 

I'll agree that the "Big Athlete" will be a West African American or a Louisianimal. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

• MLB 1 -Gbenda

Do you see Makiya Toungue being in this class?  Is he to big for a Safety?

Richardson's window at Texas is dwindling rapidly. It's clear that Texas targeted Catalon and Richardson this cycle while keeping the other options warm, but Texas has picked up the heat on Morris for a reason and more damaging is that one of the recent visitors to Texas is recruiting himself to the Texas staff hard, not unlike what we saw with Caden Sterns. He doesn't have Richardson's film and so it hasn't netted results yet, but he has a ton of physical tools and the longer it plays out the less chance Richardson will have to move to Texas. I also don't think this will be the only DB we see recruit himself to Texas this year. 

The more interesting thing for Richardson/Aggy is that OU may well lose out on Hill to Alabama. Jamal Morris is a wildcard and his decision is going to have a big effect on the next tier, he's been expected to pick OU but if he doesn't and OU misses out on Hill and Morris you have to think they'll go hard after Orji as a 2nd guy while they continue to chase and probably target Williams/Richardson hard core.  TCU has only offered Williams, Hill, Catalon, Richardson, and Morris. They are going to have to start to pick up their evals but they seem to be waiting to see who blinks first from this group. TCU and OU hammering Williams and Richardson is going to be a fucking bloodbath for Aggy to work against. 

• Like 3

I'd think that Richardson is unique enough to where he wouldn't lose his spot like O'Neal did, and that we'd keep recruiting him until the end, but we'll see 

At some point he'll visit TCU and then Jimbo will force him to decommit, and it'll be a free for all 

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Would put us right around 300 pts, same as the 2018 class (3rd overall)

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Leal is a 4i. With his pass rushing ability, he must stay outside. 

Sweat will be a nose tackle eventually. He will play 4i though as he gains weight. 

Watson is a corner. 

Gbenda is a Rover. Floyd Mike. Rian Davis B-Backer extraordinaire. 

I'll agree that the "Big Athlete" will be a West African American or a Louisianimal. 

Leal's 247 profile has him listed at 280 already. I thought we were selling him on being our version of Ed Oliver?

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Leal's 247 profile has him listed at 280 already. I thought we were selling him on being our version of Ed Oliver?

He could end up at 4i, he could end up at nose, he could play 3-tech in an even front, or he could end up playing all three in the same series. It depends on where his body goes and who else we have. Regardless, he'll be a handful for the offensive line. 

Edited by Fud