Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

While we’re on the topic of bragging about individual achievement, I turned down full rides from A&M and OU 2 years ago to come to Texas because I was raised right. Ivies never offer merit based, so if he’s a true longhorn he may take that PWO offer.

I got into Harvard Law School but went to UT instead because fuck you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I was offered no scholarship.  I was in the bottom half of my high school graduating class.  went to UT and earned a liberal arts degree in a shade under 9 years.  #winning

At first I thought that I had written this.

Do I know you? Were you in Ios back in September of 1997? Do you give me your copy of "The Sun Also Rises"?

I lost my largest scholarship at UT because I immediately joined a fraternity during my first semester and thought that smoking weed, getting drunk and banging sorority chicks was more important than doing homework.... somehow I still made it out with a degree. I'll take my experiences over the 4.0.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

The way that recruitment went down, I'm moving on from him.

This. CTJ spelled it out very nicely in his post. As much as I would LOVE for Wright to be a Longhorn (and I really would - he's an amazing player), I think we have to let him go based on the way this whole thing went down. The recruiting and commitment process just doesn't happen like that without plenty of improper shit. See also: Leal, Demarvion; Demas, Demond; and Hornsby, Malik (among others).

Unfortunately, it also wouldn't surprise me one bit if Zach Evans winds up on that list based on some of the stuff going around about him. The quote about Oklahoma's defense right after the Horns beat the conference's best defense into submission also makes me kind of think that he's looking for an excuse not to come here. Fortunately, it's only a matter of time before aggy trips up and gets caught or one of their conference "brethren" turn them in because no one likes them and also fuck aggy

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Don’t be that guy.  Not every aggy recruiting win is dirty.

I'm definitely not saying all of their recruits or recruiting wins over us are dirty . But those four all meet a bunch of the criteria CTJ provided. I'm sure they have more than few head to head wins over us that were very much above board. Their staff is packed with good recruiters. But go back and look at those four in particular and tell me something doesn't seem off.

Leal and Wright were both considered huge Longhorn leans until they visited aggy with no real momentum going for them at the time and committed on the spot. Demas didn't even have aggy in his top ten. Then, he visits and commits right then and there? And there's just too much stuff going around about Hornsby, his extended family, and his entourage for something to not be up.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm with you on most of that crunk. Tough for me to worry about WR & RB with this staff, they have proven to identify those positions well and can find other great players. DL, OL, CB & QB are the areas I really care about based on what Coach has shown he wants from a team. 

DL is my big concern. I was ecstatic when they snagged Ojomo late and I think Mike Williams might be a massive steal, but I'm definitely less than impressed by what the staff (read: Giles) has done with the 2019 kids.

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The ones he named sure as fuck are though.

They are unusual but that doesn’t jump to outright dirty.  I get that on Wright everyone did a double take but many people were just as shocked by Kyle Porter’s commitment a few years ago, plus our info is from 3rd and 4th hand the majority of the time and sometimes kids can surprise.  It’s year one of Jimbo and they get the new coach/recruiter excitement commitments benefit of the doubt with me this year (and I understand if y’all disagree) but I’m not a fan of calling recruitments dirty unless it starts looking like Ole Miss or Baylor style.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

They are unusual but that doesn’t jump to outright dirty.  I get that on Wright everyone did a double take but many people were just as shocked by Kyle Porter’s commitment a few years ago, plus our info is from 3rd and 4th hand the majority of the time and sometimes kids can surprise.  It’s year one of Jimbo and they get the new coach/recruiter excitement commitments benefit of the doubt with me this year (and I understand if y’all disagree) but I’m not a fan of calling recruitments dirty unless it starts looking like Ole Miss or Baylor style.

People were shocked about Porter because he didn't have a Twitter and didn't give any interviews. People thought it was gonna be TCU because it was his last OV and he seemed to like it, and on his UT OV he didn't "seem to have fun". Little did they know all he actually had wanted to do was hang out with Charlie and watch film for a few hours.

Man I wish he'd been more talented, it was a really nice story.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I can definitely appreciate you not being a fan of calling certain recruitments dirty - I think it's a good policy, generally. It usually gets tossed around by bitter fanboys who think the only way someone doesn't want to go School X is if they got paid to go elsewhere. It's right up there with "we never wanted him anyway because he's not that good." So I would definitely agree with you on that.

That said, there has been so much smoke around Damieyune Craig and Brad Peveto that I can't help but think aggy is starting ramp up to Ole Miss style shenanigans. Especially since the NCAA has already firmly established that they don't give a fuck based on their reaction (or complete lack thereof) to Marchiol's statement. I've heard more than one person describe Craig as just a straight up bag man. Peveto learned from watching the "best" (worst/dirtiest) at SMU. And even TFB pointed out how crooked the Wright commitment seemed - though they did a great job of making it clear without without actually using the phrase "they paid him."

But, they're also going to get players legitimately and do so often - there's always talented weirdos and dumb asses out there that actually like that shithole for some reason. Like Martellus Bennett, Tyrel Dodson, Olaka, etc. So, I guess what I mean is that I'm definitely not saying all (or even many) of their recruitments are dirty - but there's definitely shady shit going on over there and it's getting more obvious by the day.

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 3

Oh, and I totally forgot about the whole Adidas/Ro Simon thing. Unfortunately, we might as well just accept that 7-on-7 is the football version of AAU (has been for a while now) and act accordingly. It was very telling that one of Simon's first comments after the Jimbo hire was about what a great job Jimbo did reaching out to the 7-on-7 community and that he'd done much better than Herman. Or something to that effect.

I can see both sides of the argument for Leal. One on hand, he did quite like A&M (and the idea of playing in the SEC) earlier in the process, Jimbo probably guaranteed him a starting spot day 1 (and looking at their depth chart, it's not that outlandish), and even if you take out the bagman aspect out of it, Brewster vs. Giles is still not a fair fight. I also think that Texas recruiting... analysts underreported the contact and interest Leal had in A&M. On the other hand, there was really no indication that Leal was going to shut it down so soon, but I do get that players sometimes get caught up in the moment, especially if they aren't that savvy with the recruiting process.

The recruitments that immediately jumped out to me as being "off" this calendar year have been Dylan Wright's, Marcus Banks', and Demond Demas'. Not that I think all the other ones were pristine (Kenyon Green comes to mind), but those three seemed especially strange.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

The 18 class we signed gave Ro all the leverage in negotiating with agdidas. 

Ugh... I hate the fact that we're going to have to be involved with that slimeball in any capacity just about every year because of the kind of talent he brings in for his team.

I also had a quick question, if anyone knows. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Footwork King. Some people say that he's as bad/slimy as Ro while others say that he's on the level and really, genuinely cares about the kids he works with.

Any insight on that whole thing would be greatly appreciated - because like it or not, we're going to have to recruit kids he trains almost every year too.

Edited by campcrunk

3 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Ugh... I hate the fact that we're going to have to be involved with that slimeball in any capacity just about every year because of the kind of talent he brings in for his team.

I also had a quick question, if anyone knows. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Footwork King. Some people say that he's as bad/slimy as Ro while others say that he's on the level and really, genuinely cares about the kids he works with.

Any insight on that whole thing would be greatly appreciated - because like it or not, we're going to have to recruit kids he trains almost every year too.

We have several FWK alums and his kids are scattered across teams with different apparel affiliations. We don't have any Ro Simon kids. Take that as you will.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I can see both sides of the argument for Leal. One on hand, he did quite like A&M (and the idea of playing in the SEC) earlier in the process, Jimbo probably guaranteed him a starting spot day 1 (and looking at their depth chart, it's not that outlandish), and even if you take out the bagman aspect out of it, Brewster vs. Giles is still not a fair fight. I also think that Texas recruiting... analysts underreported the contact and interest Leal had in A&M. On the other hand, there was really no indication that Leal was going to shut it down so soon, but I do get that players sometimes get caught up in the moment, especially if they aren't that savvy with the recruiting process.

The recruitments that immediately jumped out to me as being "off" this calendar year have been Dylan Wright's, Marcus Banks', and Demond Demas'. Not that I think all the other ones were pristine (Kenyon Green comes to mind), but those three seemed especially strange.

Demani Richardson, Jeffrey Carter, and Brian Williams. They pretty much check all of the boxes. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

We have several FWK alums and his kids are scattered across teams with different apparel affiliations. We don't have any Ro Simon kids. Take that as you will.

I might be crazy but didn't Eagles, Jalen Green, Jamison, Casey Thompson, and Joshua Moore play for Simon's team?