Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe these guys are all great, but (1) Mac McWhorter also had the philosophy of recruiting tall, lean OL recruits and beefing them up, and (2) I would sure hope that Rhule and post program implosion Baylor would like the recruits we are after - that’s not exactly our standard. 

I admit I’m a skeptic after the last 10 years, but a lot of the hype about second and third tier late bloomer OL and DL recruits seem like wishful thinking.  I know Cosmi is working out well, but I’d rather we have filled up more of this class already with some additional blue chips in the trenches.

Which in-state bluechips would you have liked? Kenyon Green and Mowry were maroon houses all the way, and outside of Leal it's not like there was much else on either line at a high level. We landed the two best OTs in the state - Johnson and (if he can keep his shit together) Shepherd.

One the plus side, we might back into landing Stripling, which would be nice.

I'll agree. I don't know anything, but I like linemen that start off lean. Both of these guys fit the bill.

Darrel Royal had a saying about liking raw boned big kids who would develop into men.

Doug English and Dan Neil come to mind as guys who blew up while playing and then reverted to fit but more normal size.

I'll trust the Hand.

But not the Hamm.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I know Cosmi is working out well

It's not just Cosmi. Calvin Anderson was a 2-star out of Westlake.

Obviously we want the blue chips on OL. But if you have a staff that knows what they're doing with regard to evaluation and development, the drop-off at OL seems to be less severe from blue-chip to late riser compared to other positions.

DL is a different story; I think it's becoming clear that while you can find some solid gems from senior film and market inefficiencies, there's no replacement for the elite top 200 guys. Poona was underappreciated but even he was a 4*.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Obviously we want the blue chips on OL. But if you have a staff that knows what they're doing with regard to evaluation and development, the drop-off at OL seems to be less severe from blue-chip to late riser compared to other positions.

DL is a different story; I think it's becoming clear that while you can find some solid gems from senior film and underrecruited areas, there's no replacement for the elite top 200 guys. Poona was underappreciated but even he was a 4*.

+1000

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

It's not just Cosmi. Calvin Anderson was a 2-star out of Westlake.

DL is a different story; I think it's becoming clear that while you can find some solid gems from senior film and market inefficiencies, there's no replacement for the elite top 200 guys. Poona was underappreciated but even he was a 4*.

Interesting observation on DL. Never thought of it like that but I guess it makes some sense. I'm still of the belief that no one knows for certain the trajectory of big guys (outside of the blue chips.) Mostly because you don't know quite when they'll hit their growth spurts with S&C also being a variable added in. To me, this is the single most important position groups where you have to have faith in the coach(es) recruiting him and trusting their evaluations and projections. 

of the top 10 defenses in cfb 6 of the teams have majority  3* - 1* starting dl

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Edited by White Boy Carl
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, White Boy Carl said:

Kudos to you.  This has already been proved to be a really bad argument, in general.  But your version is the shittiest version I've ever seen of this bad argument.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, White Boy Carl said:

You're not going to convince me by using "total yards allowed" as a definitive statistic. And I'm not saying we need to recruit like Alabama on the defensive line. Classes like the 2018 haul where we brought in a couple blue-chip prospects (Ossai and Coburn), a late-riser (Ojomo, the type of prospect we may not be able to dig up every cycle) and a couple high-upside prospects or high-floor guys with plus attributes (Mike Williams, Carson) are very good. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're not going to convince me by using "total yards allowed" as a definitive statistic. And I'm not saying we need to recruit like Alabama on the defensive line. Classes like the 2018 haul where we brought in a couple blue-chip prospects (Ossai and Coburn), a late-riser (Ojomo, the type of prospect we may not be able to dig up every cycle) and a couple high-upside prospects or high-floor guys with plus attributes (Mike Williams, Carson) are very good. 

How about the 2016 class, where we recruit like 8 versions of the exactly same similar ranked players, and we make sure they all have question marks about them, and then in two years all but two are gone?

Is that good to do?

13 minutes ago, White Boy Carl said:

Are these DLs also prison material? I hear that being criminally nasty, like rape your grandmother nasty, makes them a definite take.

• Like 1

I agree with the overall thesis re: DL and higher ranked guys having a >>>>> probability of being productive college players (and all positions, for that matter).

Somewhat interestingly, I glanced at 2018 draft and of 5 1st rd DL (Brad Chubb inclusive), there was one 2*, three 3* and a 5*. So there definitely are exceptions. I didn't look beyond 1st rd because I have shit to do, but I'd imagine rounds 2-7 you see a much higher percentage of 4- and 5-star DL being taken. Anyways, I was mostly just surprised by what I saw when I looked into it.

Edited by TommyGufano

On 10/9/2018 at 2:09 PM, Katfid54 said:

Well, I'll be interested to see what developed.

My other guess would be wondering how Brannon Brown has developed over the past 12 months and what his Sr film looks like.  He looks like the kind of kid who could turn into a Kerstetter-type prospect from his relatively doughy junior year to his senior campaign.  I could see him as a potentially valuable C prospect, and heavens knows we need that badly this cycle.

Watching some Logan Parr highlights, I'd love to see what his teammate could do as well after a couple years with Hand and Yancy. They look like they play really well together and could lock down one side of a future line.

2 minutes ago, White Boy Carl said:

@Katfid54 @Machinator both wrong again

4qkd9UD.png

Wait... you're telling me that NFL drafts feature more 3* players than 5* players?  I am shocked!

Maybe that's because, in every single fucking recruiting class there are 32 five-star players (less than 1% of ranked players), while there are more than 1,400 three-stars (almost 40% of all ranked players).

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Wait... you're telling me that NFL drafts feature more 3* players than 5* players?  I am shocked!

Maybe that's because, in every single fucking recruiting class there are 32 five-star players (less than 1% of ranked players), while there are more than 1,400 three-stars (almost 40% of all ranked players).

Which is why you should take said rankings with a grain of salt. The 9.95ers are wrong a lot more than they are right on HS prospects. The chances that Ojomo becomes a high NFL draft pick is probably the same as Leal at this point, yet Ojomo was rated as at 0.8884 while Leal 0.9710

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Fuck You 4

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which is why you should take said rankings with a grain of salt. The 9.95ers are wrong a lot more than they are right on HS prospects. The chances that Ojomo becomes a high NFL draft pick is probably the same as Leal at this point, yet Ojomo was rated as at 0.8884 while Leal 0.9710

... what?  

Yeah, some people really need to work on their reading comprehension. There are very few 5 star rated lineman every year, so they won’t make up as many of the top draft picks despite being individually more likely to get picked in the first round than a 3 star. There is a large pool of 2/3 stars, so even if only a small percentage of them are successful, they’ll make up a large portion of the draft. 

This gets rehashed pretty regularly here and I’m sure there are plenty of people that aren’t familiar with the concept, but ignorance is only a valid excuse until you get presented with evidence and refuse to accept it. Don’t endlessly double down and clog up discussion.

• Like 6

IT

WEST VIRGINIA VISITOR LIST - Early Edition 

It’s early, blah blah blah. There’s some dogs coming onto the 40 Acres this weekend when the Mountaineers storm Bevo Blvd. Prospects like Noah Cain, Isaiah Hookfin, and Elijah Higgins will fill DKR on Saturday evening in a battle for first place in the Big 12.

Other notables, Brennon Scott and Jaylon Jones, are likely.

We’ll of course have the full list compiled by Friday hopefully before Dana Holgorsen slams his first Jager bomb and chases it with a 24oz Monster.

BUILDING 2019 and BEYOND

Isaiah Hookfin met Herb Hand 10 days ago. He’s now taking an UOV this weekend when No. 15 UT hosts No. 12 West Virginia in Austin.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Sugarland Dulles offensive lineman from the class of 2019 is eager to see all the things he’s been hearing about and seeing on television.

“The energy, the foundation (Texas) laid and continue to build really impresses me,” said Hookfin. “I’ve heard how loud it’s been this season at DKR."

More schools are taking notice of the Houston area tackle. Minnesota and UConn have started inquiring, along with 17 offers including Arizona State, Illinois, Duke, Texas Tech, and UH.

One thing Texas' OL coach Hand is known for is his love of music. Nothing specific, most genres are on his mixtape. Hookfin wants to know if he can spit the lyrics to Eric B and Rakim songs. He can, Isaiah. Renaissance man.

"I'm going to test him," said Hookfin, laughing.

Texas will likely take two more OL in 2019's class. Hookfin and the #fUTure19 getting together continues an upward trend.

At South Oak Cliff, there’s a senior DE/OLB with a big future on the football field. He’s also committed to Texas Tech.

Steven Parker loves being a Red Raider. Yeah, we’ve heard that before. Tom Herman goes to see him two weeks ago, and now a visit seems likely. The recruiting process has increased for the edge-rushing monster from the Metroplex.

“It's great right now," Parker said. "Everyone wants me now but I’m good. I'm staying with the place and coaches that believed in me at Tech. Plus my grandma lives in Lubbock.”

At 6-foot-3.5, and about 225, DE or OLB in 3-4 is his positional preference. He really likes Texas DL coach Oscar Giles, and he wants to own a business or be a teacher after sports. I'm also hearing he’s fulfilling his classroom duties.

If LSU snags Many (LA) DE Myron Warren, Parker looks to be the next man up for a UT offer.

Cuero four-star WR and Texas pledge, Jordan Whittington, returned to Austin on Thursday for a battle against an Eastside Memorial team with just 18 players on it, so he and the Gobblers didn’t receive a challenge at all. In instances where Cuero was trying not to score, they did.

Whittington received a couple of touches and did manage to get into the end zone, but it wasn’t much of a test of just how back he is from a groin injury.

However, he was excited to be in Austin, and that was evident in speaking to the media after his 70-0 win on Thursday.

Inside Texas: How good is it to be back on the field?

Jordan Whittington: It feels real good. It was on my mind mainly, and my body. Being out that long takes a toll on you, but now that I’m back on the field, I’m getting back into it.

IT: Was there a wall you had to get through when making your first cut or taking your first hit?

JW:I wasn’t scared or anything. I just came back and did everything. I couldn’t exactly do how I did it before I was hurt but I’m getting back to it. It will take me a while, but I’ll be back.

IT: How excited are you to return to Austin?

JW: I’m ready, it felt good. I wish we could play at DKR in the playoffs. Hopefully, so I can get a glimpse.

IT: What do you think about the season Texas is having this year?

JW: I knew that was going to happen though, and everybody is trying to ride the wave now. They asked me why I committed to Texas, and now I’m sure they’ve seen why.

IT: What about the program gave you faith to jump in before the 2018 season began?

JW: Just seeing how they work and how they’re preparing. Just seeing it from the inside and not the outside, and knowing something good is going to come out of it. Mainly my heart was another reason.

Whittington was then asked about the rest of the current WR class.

On Marcus Washington: “He’s a dog. I feel him as a deep threat watching his film. Me and him side by side with Josh Moore, Brennan (Eagles), and everyone that’s coming, it will be dangerous.”

On Demaryion Houston and Jake Smith: “Demaryion and Jake, both of them are just electric. Jake is just explosive. That’s something we need. We don’t really have that speed back that can go to slot and just do both of them.”

IT: You could be that explosive speed too, right?

JW: “Oh yeah.”

IT: What are you most excited about in getting to Texas?

JW: Putting on that uniform, and getting ready to compete. I think that’s the best to compete with in the nation.

• Like 2

IT

Hide contents

WEST VIRGINIA VISITOR LIST - Early Edition 

It’s early, blah blah blah. There’s some dogs coming onto the 40 Acres this weekend when the Mountaineers storm Bevo Blvd. Prospects like Noah Cain, Isaiah Hookfin, and Elijah Higgins will fill DKR on Saturday evening in a battle for first place in the Big 12.

Other notables, Brennon Scott and Jaylon Jones, are likely.

We’ll of course have the full list compiled by Friday hopefully before Dana Holgorsen slams his first Jager bomb and chases it with a 24oz Monster.

BUILDING 2019 and BEYOND

Isaiah Hookfin met Herb Hand 10 days ago. He’s now taking an UOV this weekend when No. 15 UT hosts No. 12 West Virginia in Austin.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Sugarland Dulles offensive lineman from the class of 2019 is eager to see all the things he’s been hearing about and seeing on television.

“The energy, the foundation (Texas) laid and continue to build really impresses me,” said Hookfin. “I’ve heard how loud it’s been this season at DKR."

More schools are taking notice of the Houston area tackle. Minnesota and UConn have started inquiring, along with 17 offers including Arizona State, Illinois, Duke, Texas Tech, and UH.

One thing Texas' OL coach Hand is known for is his love of music. Nothing specific, most genres are on his mixtape. Hookfin wants to know if he can spit the lyrics to Eric B and Rakim songs. He can, Isaiah. Renaissance man.

"I'm going to test him," said Hookfin, laughing.

Texas will likely take two more OL in 2019's class. Hookfin and the #fUTure19 getting together continues an upward trend.

At South Oak Cliff, there’s a senior DE/OLB with a big future on the football field. He’s also committed to Texas Tech.

Steven Parker loves being a Red Raider. Yeah, we’ve heard that before. Tom Herman goes to see him two weeks ago, and now a visit seems likely. The recruiting process has increased for the edge-rushing monster from the Metroplex.

“It's great right now," Parker said. "Everyone wants me now but I’m good. I'm staying with the place and coaches that believed in me at Tech. Plus my grandma lives in Lubbock.”

At 6-foot-3.5, and about 225, DE or OLB in 3-4 is his positional preference. He really likes Texas DL coach Oscar Giles, and he wants to own a business or be a teacher after sports. I'm also hearing he’s fulfilling his classroom duties.

If LSU snags Many (LA) DE Myron Warren, Parker looks to be the next man up for a UT offer.

Cuero four-star WR and Texas pledge, Jordan Whittington, returned to Austin on Thursday for a battle against an Eastside Memorial team with just 18 players on it, so he and the Gobblers didn’t receive a challenge at all. In instances where Cuero was trying not to score, they did.

Whittington received a couple of touches and did manage to get into the end zone, but it wasn’t much of a test of just how back he is from a groin injury.

However, he was excited to be in Austin, and that was evident in speaking to the media after his 70-0 win on Thursday.

Inside Texas: How good is it to be back on the field?

Jordan Whittington: It feels real good. It was on my mind mainly, and my body. Being out that long takes a toll on you, but now that I’m back on the field, I’m getting back into it.

IT: Was there a wall you had to get through when making your first cut or taking your first hit?

JW:I wasn’t scared or anything. I just came back and did everything. I couldn’t exactly do how I did it before I was hurt but I’m getting back to it. It will take me a while, but I’ll be back.

IT: How excited are you to return to Austin?

JW: I’m ready, it felt good. I wish we could play at DKR in the playoffs. Hopefully, so I can get a glimpse.

IT: What do you think about the season Texas is having this year?

JW: I knew that was going to happen though, and everybody is trying to ride the wave now. They asked me why I committed to Texas, and now I’m sure they’ve seen why.

IT: What about the program gave you faith to jump in before the 2018 season began?

JW: Just seeing how they work and how they’re preparing. Just seeing it from the inside and not the outside, and knowing something good is going to come out of it. Mainly my heart was another reason.

Whittington was then asked about the rest of the current WR class.

On Marcus Washington: “He’s a dog. I feel him as a deep threat watching his film. Me and him side by side with Josh Moore, Brennan (Eagles), and everyone that’s coming, it will be dangerous.”

On Demaryion Houston and Jake Smith: “Demaryion and Jake, both of them are just electric. Jake is just explosive. That’s something we need. We don’t really have that speed back that can go to slot and just do both of them.”

IT: You could be that explosive speed too, right?

JW: “Oh yeah.”

IT: What are you most excited about in getting to Texas?

JW: Putting on that uniform, and getting ready to compete. I think that’s the best to compete with in the nation.

Whittington and Smith are going to make us a 2-3X more explosive team next year. They should both be day 1 contributor material in some form or another.  

• Like 2

Don't take this as an insult to Whittington, because I'm thrilled to death we'll have him.  But what do people think Whittington provides that Joshua Moore cannot provide as well?

Here are the testing numbers for each.  Without looking up their SPARQ results, can you guess which is which?

Player 1:
40 Yard Dash: 4.68
Shuttle: 4.07
Vertical: 32.7
Powerball: 35.5

Player 2:
40 Yard Dash: 4.67
Shuttle: 3.96

Vertical: 41.5
Powerball: 35

Spoiler

Player 1 is Whittington.  Player 2 is Joshua Moore.

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Player 1:

Player 2:

Reveal hidden contents

One is doing it at 191 lbs, the other at 173.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Don't take this as an insult to Whittington, because I'm thrilled to death we'll have him.  But what do people think Whittington provides that Joshua Moore cannot provide as well?

Here are the testing numbers for each.  Without looking up their SPARQ results, can you guess which is which?

Player 1:

Player 2:

Hide contents

Aren't they cousins? Whittington's HS productivity has been better than Moore's from what I can recall. He also isn't as raw as Moore.

If Moore continues to put on size and develop as a football player, he will have plenty of versatility too.

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Feldman and Mandel also reporting that they don't expect Helton to be back after this year unless they knock off Notre Dame or something. 

That's not good for us. We need USC to keep Helton but for everyone to know he's a dead man walking there.  A new coach probably gives them a recruiting bump, unless it's just a horrible hire.

42 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

what do people think Whittington provides that Joshua Moore cannot provide as well?

Player 1:

Player 2:

Reveal hidden contents

This has already been proved to be a really bad argument, in general.  But your version is the shittiest version I've ever seen of this bad argument

23lo6s3.png

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 35

Just now, RabidM said:

That's not good for us. We need USC to keep Helton but for everyone to know he's a dead man walking there.  A new coach probably gives them a recruiting bump, unless it's just a horrible hire.

SC is incredibly capable of a shit hire. Look for any ex-NFL Trojans who seem hilariously unfit to run a major college program to be in the picture.

Just now, RabidM said:

Probably for our best, but USC's been looking to oust Helton since that loss to Alabama. JT Daniels getting hurt when he did probably will cost Helton the job. 

(That, or not developing his recruits.)

2 minutes ago, White Boy Carl said:

This has already been proved to be a really bad argument, in general.  But your version is the shittiest version I've ever seen of this bad argument

23lo6s3.png

Congratulations. You might be the worst poster on this site.  Crowdsourced twice in less than a week?  You're well on your way.