Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, especially seeing how little of a real effect it'll have on them while in college. 

It was very impactful on Reggie Bush. I wonder why? 

"The top pick this year went to the Houston Texans, and despite that team's sorry season (which is the reason it got the top pick), Bush was intrigued by playing in Texas. In an interview, he was asked for his thoughts on living and working in Texas. "The first thing that comes to mind, Bush answered, "is Texas has no state income tax that could really come in handy."

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

"The top pick this year went to the Houston Texans, and despite that team's sorry season (which is the reason it got the top pick), Bush was intrigued by playing in Texas. In an interview, he was asked for his thoughts on living and working in Texas. "The first thing that comes to mind, Bush answered, "is Texas has no state income tax that could really come in handy."

Stud college football athlete having to pay for very little, meaning paying less taxes is a lot different than NFL football player having to pay a lot of taxes on the millions he has. 

19 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Stud college football athlete having to pay for very little, meaning paying less taxes is a lot different than NFL football player having to pay a lot of taxes on the millions he has. 

(plus let's factor in that they're 17 and aren't thinking of taxes and all of that adult stuff anyway. Football. Education. The girls they see on their visits. The coach is hip. Cool uniforms. $$$$$$.)

Edited by UncleBuck

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

(plus let's factor in that they're 17 and aren't thinking of taxes and all of that adult stuff anyway. Football. Education. The girls they see on their visits. The coach is hip. Cool uniforms. $$$$$$.)

ya know. ya got a point.... to a point. but the fact that in quite a few articles about Brus recruitment, they are talking about the USC alumni and their base and what they can offer after football. its in the articles. look if you dont believe me. and when youre talking life after football when it comes to california, yes, I think pointing out the miserible state of the state is in is a topic worth discussing. 

the fact that tons of californians are leaving the state due to the things I said is relevant. and the fact that the destination a lot of those californians leaving the state is Texas is also relevant. 

or it could all be 17 year old bullshit, and all they really do want is pussy and parties

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

ya know. ya got a point.... to a point. but the fact that in quite a few articles about Brus recruitment, they are talking about the USC alumni and their base and what they can offer after football. its in the articles. look if you dont believe me. and when youre talking life after football when it comes to california, yes, I think pointing out the miserible state of the state is in is a topic worth discussing.  

the fact that tons of californians are leaving the state due to the things I said is relevant. and the fact that the destination a lot of those californians leaving the state is Texas is also relevant. 

or it could all be 17 year old bullshit, and all they really do want is pussy and parties

Acting like California is some kind of bombed out hellscape is pretty silly. LA has a great quality of life if you've got the cash that an NFL career and a cushy SC-football-alum-network provided post-football job will give you. Plus he grew up there.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

This is a fucking regarded take. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Acting like California is some kind of bombed out hellscape is pretty silly. LA has a great quality of life if you've got the cash that an NFL career and a cushy SC-football-alum-network provided post-football job will give you. Plus he grew up there.

That'sNotHowThisWorks.That'sNotHowAnyOfThisWorks.Blogspot.Gif

• Like 1

IT

OK. COOL HOOKFIN!

Eric and I journeyed to Sugar Land to catch Dulles OL Isaiah Hookfin take on Ridge Point late last week.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pounder burst on the scene last month and now has our attention. His athleticism is noticeable, his feet and balance are elite. He does need some Yancy McKnight in his life from a strength standpoint, and a dash of Herb Hand for his technique, which is pretty good. RP's DE Nelson Ceasar was a good test on this night.

As for recruiting, Hookfin loved his UOV to Austin two weeks ago. Getting offered at midfield by Coach Herman was the highlight. Hanging with fellow offensive tackle Tyler Johnson was cool too. One thing about recruiting has stood out for the dancing bear.

"I've been surprised about how fast they've come," said Hookfin, about his offers. "Just how fast they've picked up and the attention. Alcorn State was the first and then it hasn't stopped."

On the record, Hookfin says he's taking the recruiting process slow and focusing on his team, who finished 8-2 in 2018 as they begin the 6A playoffs.

As for the Texas offer, that was a pleasant surprise. "It was something I didn't expect. I really like coach (Bryan) Carrington and coach Shaun (Lewis). They hit me up often."

Will he be back for an official visit soon? "Yes sir, that's the plan."

This kid reminds me of Christian Jones from last year's cycle, just further along the technical developmental curve. He's the type you take and stash. Allow him time to grow under the Strength & Conditioning program, and watch him bloom in a few years. One source close to his recruitment says, "This kid could be Sam Cosmi."

Despite the avalanche of phone calls and text messages from other schools, Texas looks real good here.

EARLY LIST FOR ISU

Saturday presents the last chance for Tom Herman to showcase his team at home, and Chris Del Conte to showcase the newfound DKR atmosphere. Expect a quality visitor list, with emphasis on the 2020 class.

As usual at this point in the week, the visitor list for Senior Night at DKR is in its early stages, but there's some real talent likely headed to the 40 Acres this weekend.

For the 2019 class, Many (LA) DE Myron Warren will see the Longhorns for the first time. This is a big visit as UT needs to assert itself as the choice should LSU not extend an offer. We like UT to do so but we're still wary of what a late LSU offer would do.

For 2020, there's the elite - Zach Evans, Vernon Broughton, Kelee Ringo, and Chad Lindberg. We'll have the full list for you on Friday, but it's building towards an impressive group of athletes. Getting Ringo in from Arizona is especially important to lay the groundwork for a hard push in the spring. The nation's top corner is coached by Longhorn legend Bryant Westbrook.

This is a big game for Texas in more ways than one.

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

So what's the "good news" these sites keep referring to?  I can't tell of any guys who are about to make a decision, unless the staff has decided to take Kennedy Lewis's commitment?

Probably Hookfin. It does sound like someone is a weird kind of semi-silent given BC and Floyd's tweets, but no sssh.

Edited by texifornia

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Glad to hear about Burt. That's a best case scenario for that guy in terms of having a shot at getting drafted, and it really helps our roster next year at the position assuming one or both of the 2 big WRs leave. 

Agreed. It's good for both players and good for Texas. Win/Win if we can get them both RS and keep them here. Burt stands a good chance of making himself a late round draft pick. A good 5th year and some ridiculous combine numbers would push him even higher. Just has to get rid of that pesky allergy ... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Agreed. It's good for both players and good for Texas. Win/Win if we can get them both RS and keep them here. Burt stands a good chance of making himself a late round draft pick. A good 5th year and some ridiculous combine numbers would push him even higher. Just has to get rid of that pesky allergy ... 

Still figure being a 27-28 man class?  I'm guessing Rowland will either be done or try to get grad transfer somewhere?

I'm not giving up on Bru. Herman landed a human highlight reel in Jake Smith, who everyone was after.  He got Floyd out of Cali. Dude will get Bru. USC is a dumpster fire and his lead recruiter is no longer on staff. I feel good about this. In Herman I trust.

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Yup. No state income tax, the largest and richest alumnus base in the country, in a state that is booming economically ..... and it still looks like he's going to USC.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

featherstone.jpg

10 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Yea I figured something happened with the numbers when that recruit delayed his commitment on Friday.  Getting LJ and CJ back next season with Sam is going to be nasty.  Jake Smith in the slot as well should be very nice.  Going to have depth galore next season if  this happens.

Duvernay has made a huge leap as well and will be back. We could face the classic aggy corps of cadets blunders. Not enough balls to go around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm not giving up on Bru. Herman landed a human highlight reel in Jake Smith, who everyone was after.  He got Floyd out of Cali. Dude will get Bru. USC is a dumpster fire and his lead recruiter is no longer on staff. I feel good about this. In Herman I trust.

Make it happen Herman.  Cant have too many play makers, especially in this conference.