Texas recruiting notes 2019

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What's fucked up is that, if reports are to believed, random message board posters had a better feel for this class than the coaching staff.  How is that possible?

I'd say there are a number of people here who are smarter than most football coaches. That may be hard to believe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I don't follow recruiting much, but did the better season help any? Beating OU?  Sugar Bowl? Seems like with the early signing period what you do in the season won't affect you until next class.

It helped keep our class together, which is big, because we had a large number of OOS commits who could have had second thoughts (a couple still did) if we went 6-6 again.

We closed on three 4-stars during the season - Owens, Washington and Brown, and landed two priority JUCOS - Caleb Johnson and Jacoby Jones (whom we more or less flipped from OU).

It will help more for the 2020 class.

What will also help is if we reconfigure the staff.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheFlagship said:

Next year 7 of the top 10 dudes in the state (per 247) are from DFW. 2 have already committed to OU. We can’t ignore it next year 

need David Beaty on the job. Another advantage of recruiting DFW is that the area is less infested with handlers and middlemen that Houston.

one thing that hurts us in the rankings is our JUCO transfers, but i really love them.  you get guys who are more proven and ready to go.  you lose their first year or two of eligibility but that's when they aren't as big or mature. I see it as a win/win honestly. 

also, if Evans is as good as they are saying he is, not getting Cain or Sanders could end up being a blessing in disguise. I know that the best backs always say they don't care, but I don't believe that is true for most of them. If you can go to a great school like Texas and have the bonus of having less competition so you know you get to dominate the depth chart, that has to have some appeal. 

1 minute ago, mrhorn said:

I guess some people forget that Calvin Anderson didn't commit to us until March.  Plenty of time to get a Grad transfer, oh and the whole other signing day that still has to happen.

Yeah, I think immediate problems can potentially be solved by grad transfers, but it is much more of a crap shoot. NSD2 is largely about getting projects, if you did NSD1 correctly. You might hit on a diamond in the rough but it probably also means you get more Mike Williams types or guys you end up recruiting over. OL is probably the best place to bargain hunt as those guys you stock away and misses can be more easily covered by the numbers.

I guess some people forget that Calvin Anderson didn't commit to us until March.  Plenty of time to get a Grad transfer, oh and the whole other signing day that still has to happen.

Grad transfers are great, but you need to get prospects in that you can develop and put in one/two years from now, and not have to worry abt one-year rental grad transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It helped keep our class together, which is big, because we had a large number of OOS commits who could have had second thoughts (a couple still did) if we went 6-6 again.

We closed on three 4-stars during the season - Owens, Washington and Brown, and landed two priority JUCOS - Caleb Johnson and Jacoby Jones (whom we more or less flipped from OU).

It will help more for the 2020 class.

What will also help is if we reconfigure the staff.

^^^^^^^^^
THIS.   After the wasteland we've been in for the last decade and our shitty performances, for us to land back to back top 10 classes is close to a miracle.  Additionally, we seem to have avoided the head cases and drama queens (sans Sheppard), we kicked ass out of state, and for the first time in what seems like 2005, have some roster depth.
I see a ton of positivity in our football program.  I agree it would be great to have the #1 or #2 class every year, but its a process and if you cant see that we are trending up and positive in almost every aspect, then dont just be CTJ, take the fucking leap...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

The OL concerns aren't about next year or even 2020, they're about the years after that.

I think we'll find some decent prospects.

We are going to have a better overall line next year in my opinion. With Vahe and Rodriguez graduating, athletically we should have higher ceiling players in their place, and with Cosmi likely moving to LT, we should get more push in the run game over Anderson who was great in pass pro, but average in the run game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

Yep and that was all Herb Hand.  So far, I think he's done a decent job on the OL getting it serviceable this season.  And, he did that with essentially a 6-man rotation enabling us to redshirt the 4 freshman OL guys along with Denzel Okafor.  That's huge for depth and really helps for the long term.  Plus, Tyler Johnson is a huge get and hopefully there's a grad transfer or 2 that could help ...   

^^^^^^^^^
THIS.   After the wasteland we've been in for the last decade and our shitty performances, for us to land back to back top 10 classes is close to a miracle.  Additionally, we seem to have avoided the head cases and drama queens (sans Sheppard), we kicked ass out of state, and for the first time in what seems like 2005, have some roster depth.
I see a ton of positivity in our football program.  I agree it would be great to have the #1 or #2 class every year, but its a process and if you cant see that we are trending up and positive in almost every aspect, then dont just be CTJ, take the fucking leap...
Hello Tom

Going to throw this out there to take some sand out of vaginas:

On Sep 15th at the USC game we hosted 6 high profile recruits. All 6 are OOS prospects. Of those 6, 4 have already signed with UT.

The 2 that haven't declared yet are Bru McCoy and Trey Sanders. 

I'm not expecting to get either, but I think there is some interesting shit going on behind the scenes with that crew that attended in September.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mop said:

also, if Evans is as good as they are saying he is, not getting Cain or Sanders could end up being a blessing in disguise. I know that the best backs always say they don't care, but I don't believe that is true for most of them. If you can go to a great school like Texas and have the bonus of having less competition so you know you get to dominate the depth chart, that has to have some appeal. 

You can watch him play against the best defense in the state on Saturday night on FSSW.  I have seen him play several games and he is 100% as advertised.  The last HS RB I can remember being as good was probably Cedric Benson or maybe Adrian Peterson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
4 minutes ago, T&T’s Dad said:
^^^^^^^^^

Read more  

Hello Tom

You make satya sound sunny and optimistic 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Going to throw this out there to take some sand out of vaginas:

On Sep 15th at the USC game we hosted 6 high profile recruits. All 6 are OOS prospects. Of those 6, 4 have already signed with UT.

The 2 that haven't declared yet are Bru McCoy and Trey Sanders. 

I'm not expecting to get either, but I think there is some interesting shit going on behind the scenes with that crew that attended in September.

That is interesting, and I'm glad for the 4 we landed, big recruits.  The other 2 aren't happening, but in a parallel universe where we do, suddenly Drayton and Meh go from the dog house to the penthouse?

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And 2 of those guys are at Duncanville where the head coaches son is on staff.  No excuse not to land those 2.

Fortunately, Naivar is a good recruiter, so I think he can close on Thompson if there's no shenanigans.

I don't know who's on Jackson but we need to pull out all the stops for that one.