Texas recruiting notes 2019

You make satya sound sunny and optimistic 
One can criticize the staff for their misses and priase them for their wins at the same time. At this point it is clear there is more than one weaklink in the staff and changes are in order like i said a few days ago, this is a staff made up of 3-4 elite recruiters and bunch of jags. Or do you disagree?

44 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree the way this class closed out likely isn't sitting well with Herman.   Hopefully enough to spur some much needed changes to the staff.

Saban was also pissed at Bama's 2018 Recruiting results and made some changes for this 2019 Recruiting Class.......  It happens, and yes Herman has to make changes in the current staff...

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Saban was also pissed at Bama's 2018 Recruiting results and made some changes for this 2019 Recruiting Class.......  It happens, and yes Herman has to make changes in the current staff...

That's why he's the best.

Oh, and they have the best bagmen in college football, which also helps.

Just now, Newy25 said:

Uh, no. All of these sites were spewing lies to get people to read their updates. Cain decided weeks ago he was going to PSU. 

One of the other 247 mods said the same.  However, we did make a push mostly from Beck, Herman and Carrington to make the decision more interesting.  Other than Drayton visiting Cain's father in Baton Rouge, it appeared that Beck became the closer in this deal.  Disappointing we didn't get Cain but wish him luck at PSU. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Your RB coach has the least amount of actual coaching responsibilities on the team.  That position had to be a rainmaker and not just at that position. Drayton is not carrying his weight. 

Just now, golfclap said:

This entire recruiting cycle has made it clear that EJ knows absolutely nothing and has no ability to parse what is said to him by recruits and trainers to find the truth. 

That was made clear long before this recruiting cycle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One can criticize the staff for their misses and priase them for their wins at the same time. At this point it is clear there is more than one weaklink in the staff and changes are in order like i said a few days ago, this is a staff made up of 3-4 elite recruiters and bunch of jags. Or do you disagree?

Criticism is warranted.  And I think you're right about the recruiting chops of the staff.  Still, they have pulled in back to back top ten classes.  Apologies for getting salty.  The sandy vaginas that seem to infect this board amaze me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herminator said:

One of the other 247 mods said the same.  However, we did make a push mostly from Beck, Herman and Carrington to make the decision more interesting.  Other than Drayton visiting Cain's father in Baton Rouge, it appeared that Beck became the closer in this deal.  Disappointing we didn't get Cain but wish him luck at PSU. 

The only luck I wish for Cain or anyone attending PSU is bad luck.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

That's why he's the best.

Oh, and they have the best bagmen in college football, which also helps.

also they have been in every conference championship game since 2012, won 2 of the last 3 national championships (and were in the national championship game the other year), and have lost a total of 8 games the last 6 full seasons.

...on top of having the best bagmen. 

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Hey, give the guy credit. He got rid of everyone that recruited that sorry 2017 class.  I thought the replacements were golden until this monstrosity.

5 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

So Sanders is going to Bama now. Coolio. 

....and this is exactly the reason why bama will remain at the top of the hill....having a top 5 recruiting class every year, puts you in position to compete for a title,  every year.  Not as much as it is the coaching up, but the recruit already being a stud...imo.

Just now, irishtexan said:

Maybe Deonderick Glass ends up being this class' equivalent to D'onta Foreman. I'm gonna go with that. I mean, they both start with the letter "D".

I think D. Glass would be a solid recruit in any year where we weren't shooting for the stars in Sanders & Cain.  It's good that we are trying to compete with the Big Dogs (e.g., Bama, UGa, etc.), but we really don't have the team or staff yet to do that.  We're heading in the right direction with finishing 2nd in the Big 12 and heading to the Sugar Bowl, but we need to improve across the board.  From video, Glass looks better than Porter and hopefully he wasn't over-used at Katy HS to the point where he's maxed out.  Hence, its worth looking at him further along with the grad transfer market. 

2 minutes ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Criticism is warranted.  And I think you're right about the recruiting chops of the staff.  Still, they have pulled in back to back top ten classes.  Apologies for getting salty.  The sandy vaginas that seem to infect this board amaze me.  

You keep repeating it, but I hope you don't get too attached to that top 10 thing. We've dropped 3 spots to #9 since the day started, top 10 is far from a lock.

14 minutes ago, gordogg24p said:

If you need us to tell you the answer, you're exactly the type of person EJ is targeting.

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This entire recruiting cycle has made it clear that EJ knows absolutely nothing and has no ability to parse what is said to him by recruits and trainers to find the truth. 

I don't follow this stuff very closely until the very end. I also don't subscribe to anybody -- I get the majority of my information from here. I just know (FWIW) EJ >>>>>> Hamm and likes to drink chocotini frappes and other frilly girl-coffee drinks from Starbucks. 

4 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The only luck I wish for Cain or anyone attending PSU is bad luck.  

1 minute ago, T&T’s Dad said:

Chuck did the same thing, so maybe that isn't the hardest thing in the world to do at Texas.

We need a second running back to share carries with Ingram, and I don't have much hope for the other JAGs on our roster.  I hope that Derrian Brown is that guy, but losing a top tier back when we need one desperately is not comforting.

17 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:
26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's the consistency of the moaning, not the individual posts.

Eric Nahlin: Scattershotting NSD1 Thoughts

If you're looking for negativity you've come to the wrong place. If you're looking for positivity, also, the wrong place. Objectivity is the name of the game. Here's how I see things during the 7th inning stretch (H/t @btown1110)

I'll have a long post breaking down the entire class early tomorrow morning. If you don't follow recruiting much and are only interested in Texas players, that will be the read for you.

This is more about the coaches approach to the cycle.

QB:

I love Roschon Johnson. He's anti-drama. He's confident on the field but humble off it. He's a quiet leader who sets a fantastic example. One story always stands out to me: while at a track meet in the spring of his sophomore year, he was spotted working on his drops in the in-field between events. 

Herman had this one locked up while he was still at U of H. Roschon understands it's the perfect scheme for him. This was easy money.

RB:

The staff knew it needed numbers heading into the cycle. Two was always the number. It raised a lot of eyebrows when Noah Cain went to IMG. That added a measure of difficulty to his recruitment that should have had the staff expanding its scope. The staff did expand its scope, to his teammate at IMG, Trey Sanders, an impossible player to pull while working at Texas. 

Early on in the cycle, Noah Cain spoke highly of Stan Drayton. It should have brought Cain to tears to tell Drayton he was going elsewhere. That's how strong relationships need to be built. 

Dreaming big is admirable, but if that baseball career doesn't work out, maybe have a fallback plan. Deondrick Glass went six months without hearing from UT. That's not how you cultivate a relationship you may need. Glass is at Katy high school, in a talent rich area, surrounded by Texas targets in multiple classes. He should be visited by Giles when he comes through. He should be visited by Hand when he's is in the area. And he should definitely be visited by Stan Drayton numerous times. Glass should be begging for you to take his commitment. He's the one who should be cultivating back-up plans with schools. Instead, he's looking very hard at Oklahoma State, and as prideful and competitive as he is, it wouldn't surprise me if he spurned Texas to go elsewhere. Hopefully they can get him but I don't have this as a slam dunk.

It was a down year in-state at most positions. This was recognized nearly across the board, especially on the defense (multiple OOS players at each level of defense). Even in a down year nationally you can't tell me there weren't more running backs worth exploring.

OL:

Tom Herman discusses the importance of finding guys who fit the new Texas culture. This requires evaluating the mental side of a player and doing a background check of sorts. There is no position where the mental evaluation is more important than offensive line because of the long developmental curve for most of them. 

Tyler Johnson checks every box you could look for.

Javonne Shepherd has as many questions about him as you can think of.

The staff targeted Isaiah Hookfin rather late and clearly didn't get a good read on how he's wired. If a player ever needed a red-shirt it's him, and yet, he doesn't think he needs one. 

Where were the JUCOS? We know they liked some but it doesn't seem any were prioritized. 

Where were the OOS players? At some point you have to expand your net and give yourself options down the stretch. 

Texas had Andrew Coker, a player who improved noticeably over time, but didn't prioritize him early enough.

If you miss on Hookfin, Coker, and maybe even Shepherd, where do you go from here? It's not good missing on your priority options, especially when you state you only want "championship level players." Are there more of those available? If so, presumably they would have been offered already.

Texas is doing a good job of putting parts on the assembly line on the d-line, but I'm a bit surprised with the paucity of options on the o-line.

Program numbers at the position are low already. It's enticing to hold back numbers to save for the next two classes but that isn't practical. It also isn't practical to hope to be bailed out by the grad transfer market, but at least it's there to provide some much needed help.

WR:

It was a weird cycle. I'm not sure the process is something you want to duplicate but you'll take the results. Getting spurned by Austin talent isn't ideal, though the Higgins miss probably won't be that bad. 

This is a really talented group. Three of the four have high floors, and four have high ceilings. 

TE:

Both are fantastic prospects. Tim Beck deserves a lot of credit for the work he did of being a good ambassador for Texas in Arizona.

I'll have many more thoughts on Brayden Liebrock and Jared Wiley tomorrow.

DL:

After needing all hands on deck last year and some good fortune with late emerging talent, Oscar Giles has his class put to bed. The group certainly fits the program approach of upside players with room for growth. 

Missing on Leal hurts. That shouldn't have caught the staff by surprise. Let that be a lesson in the very talented 2020 cycle. Giles should spend January bouncing between Cypress, Houston, Manor, and Dallas.

LB:

Great class. You'll notice defensive recruiting was on point across the board. Between the four signees I could make the case for each at Mac and Rover. They totally reset the program's floor talent-wise. Each guy can run and hit, which underscores the mindset Orlando demands.

Three are early enrollees, and for a program that needs immediate help, that's huge. The fourth, is an intelligent, four-year type who will knock your head off.

Don't sleep on Marcus Tillman. He's the most well-rounded of the bunch thanks to his ability in coverage.

DB: 

Topping 2018 was never the goal, or even doable under the best case scenario. But put this group and the 2018 group in a pool and draft based on appearance and you'd end up with a bunch of players from 2019.

I love Chris Adimora. Whoever identified him should get a raise. Kenyatta Watson is total stud, give whoever ID'd his willingness to leave the southeast a raise. Tyler Owens is Adrian Colbert with better timing in life. Marques Caldwell has some interesting things going on that may not come across until you see him, mainly his size and frame.

I'll have complete player breakdowns tomorrow.

1 minute ago, fellside said:

Wasn't there a report a few pages back that Sanders already told the staff he isn't coming here?  Why are we still talking about him?

Yea? They said the same thing about Waddle.  Keep the faith. Who said that lightning can’t strike twice!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Top 10 is not guaranteed. February is some time off. Even if we finish top 10 the ranking itself does not mean much in the larger scheme of things. I won't rehash all the misses and needs etc but saying that we got top 10 class and ignoring the glaring negatives is more than a bit self deceptive. 

This board tends to pendulate between euphoria and meltdown at the drop of a hat. If your re amazed by that at this point it is on you and you are the salty vagina complain in that the zebra has stripes