Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

40 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

Hey, give the guy credit. He got rid of everyone that recruited that sorry 2017 class.  I thought the replacements were golden until this monstrosity.

Really, dude?  Your perspective sucks.

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Saban was also pissed at Bama's 2018 Recruiting results and made some changes for this 2019 Recruiting Class.......  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m stunned at the reactions on this board. It’s been fairly clear for weeks that Sanders probably it wasn’t picking us, Cain was non-committal and always looking at alternatives, McCoy is in love with USC, Shepard is a flake, and Hookfin was a late-add developmental project. If you are mad, you should have been mad awhile ago.

Personally, I’m not nearly as worried. We have an amazing class good class that is not great, with some because of gaps at OL, RB and DT. They will find guys at each of those positions that may not be elite, but will be good. Once we kick ass next year, we can get the rest of the elite players we need. The only thing that can put a kink in the plan is if the barrels of cash from other schools start swaying every top talent. Buckle up, pussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corrected. Things can't be amazing or great in my view unless one is top 5 and one believes in the talent that makes up the class plus it fills areas of need.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's fair to question whether we'll reach the top of the mountain with the current trajectory. That's a question Herman, the rest of the staff, and CDC need to answer this offseason, and adjust accordingly.

If you read the Athletic article from Max Olson with quotes from Del Conte, he basically said we're spending $190 million to renovate our facilities for recruiting. If he can get a project like that going for recruiting purposes, I think he'll help Herman make other changes that are much easier to implement, IMO.

Some of you bitches are insufferable. The class is fantastic so far. Filled a ton of positions of need. With as many areas needing help, you can’t realistically expect to fill them all perfectly. And don’t start on “well OL or RB was the most important” because if we’d landed those spots in lieu of something else your whiny bitch ass would be saying “well blah and blah we’re the most important.” If Bru were to miraculously commit, a lot of you would instantly be proclaiming the class a success even though that wouldn’t fit your shifting narrative of what is/was the most important need.

Seriously. Please stop filling the thread with whining. It’s getting in the way of the adults talking.

• Like 9

Acceptable class overall but the failure to sign more than 1 OL is a complete failure on the coaches.  They were already going to need at least one grad transfer but now they need 2-3 just to fill a depth chart.  Any attrition from the current group could be devastating.  I also think they should have taken 2-3 more DB but that’s not as big of a deal.  But who they signed at QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, and DB raise the talent level on the roster.  DL has projects but upside and should have the necessary time to develop given the current depth.  If they somehow uncover 2-3 OL by February this class will be complete.

23 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know no one here likes Glass, so it doesn't matter, but the fact that Saban was visiting Glass when he has to be like Alabama's 50th back up option, and we went 6 months without talking to him when he's apparently one of our top backup options is crazy to me. 

Either we really hate Glass and won't even go after him now after missing on Cain, or the staff is not putting the work in. If we try to re-engage Glass in the next few months, it will tell you that it was the latter.

Saban was keeping Katy HS staff and players interested in BAMA...... Imo, Glass was NEVER an option for the Tide.

It's a class of high variance so far.

Outstanding at QB, TE, inside WR, and LB.

Very good at DL, outside WR, cornerback, and S.

Mediocre at RB - I don't hate Derrian Brown, but I don't see him as a true difference-making feature back, and we need numbers, point-blank.

Subpar at OL, and the only reason it's not poor is that Tyler Johnson is a fucking stud who is enrolling early. But again, it's only NSD1.

The staff needs to find another RB. Glass will do if he wants in, and we'll have to resign ourselves to the fact that there won't be a truly great prospect in this haul.

They need to find another true tackle prospect who's not Shepherd, regardless of whether he signs with Texas or not.

They need to find a third OL who can play inside. If he can be groomed to play center, that's a bonus.

They may need to find another jumbo athlete who can play on either line, like Christian Jones last year. Either he ends up being another interior guy, or we have a Mike Williams replacement.

They need to do everything they can to sway Catalon and his parents, but it may be too late for that.

Beyond that, it's up to the JUCO and grad transfer market. Definitely OL (preferably someone who can play center, maybe a tackle if you can find one) and RB. LB would be nice. TE and DB would be luxuries if we can get them, but perhaps not attainable.

Beyond that, it's going to be a pretty good but not great class. If this is the floor for recruiting under Herman, then we'll be fine going forward. If not, we have major issues.

Addendum: I think the 2020 class is going to be noticeably better. If we want it to be truly great, we're going to need changes on the staff and in strategy.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 6

I'm not going to get too worked up over Cain at this point.  I view him as a very good but not elite RB prospect, and we have one of those already signed in Brown.  Seems obvious the staff doesn't view Glass as a great fit considering how he's been prioritized, so not going to worry if he goes elsewhere.  Missing this cycle however makes it crucial to find some real difference maker RB prospects in 2020.

Only having 1 OL signed at this point is a real head scratcher for me and can't be viewed as anything but a failure.  It's not like we are just learning that Shepherd is a sketchy flake.  Seems that the staff got a bit burned by their preferred approach of waiting to evaluate senior film before extending additional offers and now we have to scramble to find some bodies.

• Like 1

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, wutang75 said:

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The ONE time the city of Austin is used against us. LOL

• Like 3