Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I'm not going to get too worked up over Cain at this point.  I view him as a very good but not elite RB prospect, and we have one of those already signed in Brown.  Seems obvious the staff doesn't view Glass as a great fit considering how he's been prioritized, so not going to worry if he goes elsewhere.  Missing this cycle however makes it crucial to find some real difference maker RB prospects in 2020.

Only having 1 OL signed at this point is a real head scratcher for me and can't be viewed as anything but a failure.  It's not like we are just learning that Shepherd is a sketchy flake.  Seems that the staff got a bit burned by their preferred approach of waiting to evaluate senior film before extending additional offers and now we have to scramble to find some bodies.

Funny thing is, after evaluating senior film they sent out a whole two new offers, one of whom is probably going to Baylor and another who lives in Indiana and is picking up all the major B1G offers. It's just been a bit strangely sluggish.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Funny thing is, after evaluating senior film they sent out a whole two new offers, one of whom is probably going to Baylor and another who lives in Indiana and is picking up all the major B1G offers. It's just been a bit strangely sluggish.

They also picked things back up with Coker but was too late to flip him.

24 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Acceptable class overall but the failure to sign more than 1 OL is a complete failure on the coaches.  They were already going to need at least one grad transfer but now they need 2-3 just to fill a depth chart.  Any attrition from the current group could be devastating.  I also think they should have taken 2-3 more DB but that’s not as big of a deal.  But who they signed at QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, and DB raise the talent level on the roster.  DL has projects but upside and should have the necessary time to develop given the current depth.  If they somehow uncover 2-3 OL by February this class will be complete.

Thx.... Need at least 1-2 more RBs.   

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If this is the floor for recruiting under Herman, then we'll be fine going forward. If not, we have major issues.

Yes, if Herman turns into a shitty recruiter, we have issues, but that can be said about any young coach. So far, he runs a pretty great recruiting operation that is organized and methodical. We've always wanted this approach because at a school like Texas, it assures you top 15 classes every year. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to add some ace recruiters to the staff to help land some big fish.

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

with some gaps at OL, RB and DT

You just listed 2 of the 3 most important positions on the field as areas where we have "gaps."

That's a problem. It's been a problem. And if it continues to be a problem, the program is going nowhere, no matter how many great DBs and WRs we sign.

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Yes, if Herman turns into a shitty recruiter, we have issues, but that can be said about any young coach. So far, he runs a pretty great recruiting operation that is organized and methodical. We've always wanted this approach because at a school like Texas, it assures you top 15 classes every year. Yes, it wouldn't hurt to add some ace recruiters to the staff to help land some big fish.

Top 15 classes every year...that shit doesn't require any approach. Strong managed that. 

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I hate to tell you this, but we are playing from behind with Glass. The player everyone bitched about having to sign is currently favoring another school. 

As banged up as Glass has been in HS, not so sure he's the right choice for Texas.  Hoping Horns can find RB help either from JUCO or Grad transfers like Tre Watson....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slap, slap, slapping sounds.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

The staff does deserve some criticism for not having solid backup plans nailed down at OL and RB. New names will pop up between now and NSD2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do deserve criticism, but they also deserve a little benefit of the doubt in the case of the OL. Herman has proved that he is a pretty good evaluator on the OL, and we know the state was really down, hence the lack of backup options and less offers going out. I get OL is very much about numbers, but I would not be surprised to see us clean up in state on OL next cycle. Guys like Cosmi, Kerstetter, Angilau, Jones, Moore etc should start to pay dividends starting next year. 

On the RB side, there is really just no excuse for what happened this cycle, although I really believe Derrian Brown is being overlooked as an early impact guy. The kid can play.  

Just now, maninblack said:

that Cain quote is horseshit

Yeah. For all the talk about him being a great guy, that quote is a big turn off. As I would for any player who isn't at Texas, I hope he gets his degree and sucks at football. The last part goes doubly for choosing the child rape enablers.

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You just listed 2 of the 3 most important positions on the field as areas where we have "gaps."

That's a problem. It's been a problem. And if it continues to be a problem, the program is going nowhere, no matter how many great DBs and WRs we sign.

DT is fine. Stop piggybacking off Dbeasy's misplaced concerns.

OL needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Are you new here? Bunch of whiny fags up in here.  

These type people that complain about others bitching are people that settle in life and do not expect more of themselves. Winning championships takes incredible classes and when one does not get a great class it means that winning a championship is probably not in our near future. Who would not bitch about that reality? I will tell you who, people that settle.

Texas has that bat speed to get Kate and I want them to get Kate and if they don't then something is wrong.

tumblr_m9j5xvK3Pm1qe00w7o6_500.gif

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Cain says he woke up thinking Texas.

“To be honest, I was a Texas lean this morning. I was telling my parents, Texas, Texas, Texas,” Cain said. “But I prayed, and it was a hard night just going back on Penn State or Texas. Those were the two final schools that were here with me until this day. They stayed with me consistently. Honestly it came down to where would I be the most focused at and not around distractions. Everybody knows Austin is a big city but I have to be focused through and out. I’m a business dude, I gotta handle my business. And just be different. It might not be the most popular decision, but it is the best decision for myself.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damn Girl.  It's Business Time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The other other narrow-minded pessimist has logged on

37 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Some of you bitches are insufferable. The class is fantastic so far. Filled a ton of positions of need. With as many areas needing help, you can’t realistically expect to fill them all perfectly. And don’t start on “well OL or RB was the most important” because if we’d landed those spots in lieu of something else your whiny bitch ass would be saying “well blah and blah we’re the most important.” If Bru were to miraculously commit, a lot of you would instantly be proclaiming the class a success even though that wouldn’t fit your shifting narrative of what is/was the most important need.

Seriously. Please stop filling the thread with whining. It’s getting in the way of the adults talking.

Is our goal a 10 win season and making Big 12 Championship game?  Or is our goal to compete with Bama/Clemson/Ohio St.?    If the latter, the reality is we have to start winning some of these  battles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Is our goal a 10 win season and making Big 12 Championship game?  Or is our goal to compete with Bama/Clemson/Ohio St.?    If the latter, the reality is we have to start winning some of these  battles

People like the one your quoting probably did not track the incredible classes we recruited and the changes in coaching we made on defense to get to the 2005 championship. They are OK with shooting for the moon while others know what it takes to shoot for the stars.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well we haven't done the first thing in god knows how many years so it'd be a nice start.

• Like 1

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

People like the one your quoting probably did not track the incredible classes we recruited and the changes in coaching we made on defense to get to the 2005 championship. They are OK with shooting for the moon while others know what it takes to shoot for the stars.

Jesus Christ, dude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the RB position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the OT position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the OG position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the C position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the TE position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the WR position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the QB position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Should we do defense as well?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Top 15 classes every year...that shit doesn't require any approach. Strong managed that. 

You're missing the point. I was responding to the idea that somehow the bottom could fall out and "we'll have major issues." I wasn't saying that should be our standard. If we recruit in the top 5 some years, top 10 other years, and our floor is the #14 ranked class in nation, then yes, that is good enough to win championships.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well we haven't done the first thing in god knows how many years so it'd be a nice start.

It is.  And we're at a point now where going forward failure to accomplish those 2 items should be seen as a sub par season.   It's that next leap that is harder to make.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the OT position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the OG position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the C position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the TE position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the WR position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the QB position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

Should we do defense as well?

Ooh, yeah.  Do defensive tackle.

• Like 3