Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That tells me Drayton is gone after signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to keep him one more year.

EJHolland247 32577 posts6 minutes agovia MobileVIP Zach Evans brother told me he was closely watching what Texas did at RB today. They know UT has no depth and absolutely needs to win Zach next cycle. I think that’s going to help.

I think D. Glass would be a solid recruit in any year where we weren't shooting for the stars in Sanders & Cain.  It's good that we are trying to compete with the Big Dogs (e.g., Bama, UGa, etc.), but we really don't have the team or staff yet to do that.  We're heading in the right direction with finishing 2nd in the Big 12 and heading to the Sugar Bowl, but we need to improve across the board.  From video, Glass looks better than Porter and hopefully he wasn't over-used at Katy HS to the point where he's maxed out.  Hence, its worth looking at him further along with the grad transfer market. 

Give me a year Texas isn’t shooting for the stars.
Name a few.

And how can we be headed in the right direction if we don’t have the staff to compete with the big dogs?

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eric Nahlin: Scattershotting NSD1 Thoughts

Reveal hidden contents

If you're looking for negativity you've come to the wrong place. If you're looking for positivity, also, the wrong place. Objectivity is the name of the game. Here's how I see things during the 7th inning stretch (H/t @btown1110)

I'll have a long post breaking down the entire class early tomorrow morning. If you don't follow recruiting much and are only interested in Texas players, that will be the read for you.

This is more about the coaches approach to the cycle.

QB:

I love Roschon Johnson. He's anti-drama. He's confident on the field but humble off it. He's a quiet leader who sets a fantastic example. One story always stands out to me: while at a track meet in the spring of his sophomore year, he was spotted working on his drops in the in-field between events. 

Herman had this one locked up while he was still at U of H. Roschon understands it's the perfect scheme for him. This was easy money.

RB:

The staff knew it needed numbers heading into the cycle. Two was always the number. It raised a lot of eyebrows when Noah Cain went to IMG. That added a measure of difficulty to his recruitment that should have had the staff expanding its scope. The staff did expand its scope, to his teammate at IMG, Trey Sanders, an impossible player to pull while working at Texas. 

Early on in the cycle, Noah Cain spoke highly of Stan Drayton. It should have brought Cain to tears to tell Drayton he was going elsewhere. That's how strong relationships need to be built. 

Dreaming big is admirable, but if that baseball career doesn't work out, maybe have a fallback plan. Deondrick Glass went six months without hearing from UT. That's not how you cultivate a relationship you may need. Glass is at Katy high school, in a talent rich area, surrounded by Texas targets in multiple classes. He should be visited by Giles when he comes through. He should be visited by Hand when he's is in the area. And he should definitely be visited by Stan Drayton numerous times. Glass should be begging for you to take his commitment. He's the one who should be cultivating back-up plans with schools. Instead, he's looking very hard at Oklahoma State, and as prideful and competitive as he is, it wouldn't surprise me if he spurned Texas to go elsewhere. Hopefully they can get him but I don't have this as a slam dunk.

It was a down year in-state at most positions. This was recognized nearly across the board, especially on the defense (multiple OOS players at each level of defense). Even in a down year nationally you can't tell me there weren't more running backs worth exploring.

OL:

Tom Herman discusses the importance of finding guys who fit the new Texas culture. This requires evaluating the mental side of a player and doing a background check of sorts. There is no position where the mental evaluation is more important than offensive line because of the long developmental curve for most of them. 

Tyler Johnson checks every box you could look for.

Javonne Shepherd has as many questions about him as you can think of.

The staff targeted Isaiah Hookfin rather late and clearly didn't get a good read on how he's wired. If a player ever needed a red-shirt it's him, and yet, he doesn't think he needs one. 

Where were the JUCOS? We know they liked some but it doesn't seem any were prioritized. 

Where were the OOS players? At some point you have to expand your net and give yourself options down the stretch. 

Texas had Andrew Coker, a player who improved noticeably over time, but didn't prioritize him early enough.

If you miss on Hookfin, Coker, and maybe even Shepherd, where do you go from here? It's not good missing on your priority options, especially when you state you only want "championship level players." Are there more of those available? If so, presumably they would have been offered already.

Texas is doing a good job of putting parts on the assembly line on the d-line, but I'm a bit surprised with the paucity of options on the o-line.

Program numbers at the position are low already. It's enticing to hold back numbers to save for the next two classes but that isn't practical. It also isn't practical to hope to be bailed out by the grad transfer market, but at least it's there to provide some much needed help.

WR:

It was a weird cycle. I'm not sure the process is something you want to duplicate but you'll take the results. Getting spurned by Austin talent isn't ideal, though the Higgins miss probably won't be that bad. 

This is a really talented group. Three of the four have high floors, and four have high ceilings. 

TE:

Both are fantastic prospects. Tim Beck deserves a lot of credit for the work he did of being a good ambassador for Texas in Arizona.

I'll have many more thoughts on Brayden Liebrock and Jared Wiley tomorrow.

DL:

After needing all hands on deck last year and some good fortune with late emerging talent, Oscar Giles has his class put to bed. The group certainly fits the program approach of upside players with room for growth. 

Missing on Leal hurts. That shouldn't have caught the staff by surprise. Let that be a lesson in the very talented 2020 cycle. Giles should spend January bouncing between Cypress, Houston, Manor, and Dallas.

LB:

Great class. You'll notice defensive recruiting was on point across the board. Between the four signees I could make the case for each at Mac and Rover. They totally reset the program's floor talent-wise. Each guy can run and hit, which underscores the mindset Orlando demands.

Three are early enrollees, and for a program that needs immediate help, that's huge. The fourth, is an intelligent, four-year type who will knock your head off.

Don't sleep on Marcus Tillman. He's the most well-rounded of the bunch thanks to his ability in coverage.

DB: 

Topping 2018 was never the goal, or even doable under the best case scenario. But put this group and the 2018 group in a pool and draft based on appearance and you'd end up with a bunch of players from 2019.

I love Chris Adimora. Whoever identified him should get a raise. Kenyatta Watson is total stud, give whoever ID'd his willingness to leave the southeast a raise. Tyler Owens is Adrian Colbert with better timing in life. Marques Caldwell has some interesting things going on that may not come across until you see him, mainly his size and frame.

I'll have complete player breakdowns tomorrow.

Great write-up (Can't give any more rep for today)

1 minute ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Top 10 is not guaranteed. February is some time off. Even if we finish top 10 the ranking itself does not mean much in the larger scheme of things. I won't rehash all the misses and needs etc but saying that we got top 10 class and ignoring the glaring negatives is more than a bit self deceptive.

This board tends to pendulate between euphoria and meltdown at the drop of a hat. If your re

That you feel compelled to constantly and narrowly focus only on the negatives w/r/t recruiting is why people are calling you out. The close was disappointing. There were institutional obstacles a bit outside of our control that played a factor this year. But we signed some real difference makers at key positions. It's not all great. But it's not all bad either. You're imbalanced regarding your takes and it's getting pretty fucking tiring. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Give me a year Texas isn’t shooting for the stars.
Name a few.

And how can we be headed in the right direction if we don’t have the staff to compete with the big dogs?

Given that Herman inherited a program in disarray, we're definitely headed in the right direction, partially because there was no direction to go but up, but also because he's set some good things in motion.

It's fair to question whether we'll reach the top of the mountain with the current trajectory. That's a question Herman, the rest of the staff, and CDC need to answer this offseason, and adjust accordingly.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

EJHolland247 32577 posts6 minutes agovia MobileVIP Zach Evans brother told me he was closely watching what Texas did at RB today. They know UT has no depth and absolutely needs to win Zach next cycle. I think that’s going to help.

EJ, one year from now: "Zach's family has always been worried about the workload he might see at Texas.  It really would have helped if Texas landed one of their top targets last year to split carries."

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

I think we’ll look back at this class as the class of missed opportunities. It could have been great, it’s pretty good right now. You’d expect to capatilize better after our 2018 season. We landed some really good talent and I’m sure we’ll find some guys to fill holes in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Dreaming big is admirable, but if that baseball career doesn't work out, maybe have a fallback plan. Deondrick Glass went six months without hearing from UT. That's not how you cultivate a relationship you may need. Glass is at Katy high school, in a talent rich area, surrounded by Texas targets in multiple classes. He should be visited by Giles when he comes through. He should be visited by Hand when he's is in the area. And he should definitely be visited by Stan Drayton numerous times. Glass should be begging for you to take his commitment. He's the one who should be cultivating back-up plans with schools. Instead, he's looking very hard at Oklahoma State, and as prideful and competitive as he is, it wouldn't surprise me if he spurned Texas to go elsewhere. Hopefully they can get him but I don't have this as a slam dunk.

I know no one here likes Glass, so it doesn't matter, but the fact that Saban was visiting Glass when he has to be like Alabama's 50th back up option, and we went 6 months without talking to him when he's apparently one of our top backup options is crazy to me. 

Either we really hate Glass and won't even go after him now after missing on Cain, or the staff is not putting the work in. If we try to re-engage Glass in the next few months, it will tell you that it was the latter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know no one here likes Glass, so it doesn't matter, but the fact that Saban was visiting Glass when he has to be like Alabama's 50th back up option, and we went 6 months without talking to him when he's apparently one of our top backup options is crazy to me. 

Either we really hate Glass and won't even go after him now after missing on Cain, or the staff is not putting the work in. If we try to re-engage Glass in the next few months, it will tell you that it was the latter.

I thought we already had in the last couple of weeks?

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

It's because Alabama knows that they could put a paraplegic back there at RB behind their OLine and he could wheel for a 100 yards.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

This is so reckless and irresponsible that I have a hard time believing it is true. 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If I have this right, Trey Sanders was expected to go to Bama, has given all indications he in going to Bama and now is about to go to commit to Bama with really no drama coming from him or his camp.

Yes.

He listened to a few programs that had the balls/desire to put up an anti & he gave a token visit to his brother's team, but he was Bama 100% the entire way & never blinked.

Any other reporting was pure mental masturbation, a visit to a palm reader & a sub to the National Enquirer.  

6 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I think we’ll look back at this class as the class of missed opportunities. It could have been great, it’s pretty good right now. You’d expect to capatilize better after our 2018 season. We landed some really good talent and I’m sure we’ll find some guys to fill holes in the next few weeks.

My understanding is that the effects of a good year on the field are mainly felt in the following recruiting cycle.

Jimbo was the shiny new car this year, his first full season of recruiting, but Herman better get back to owning this state next year; it's obviously a big year for Texas recruiting and one we need to dominate

Tom needs to win the Sugar Bowl. A GA victory will set him back with 2020 kids listening to sec schools. He better win it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Jimbo was the shiny new car this year, his first full season of recruiting, but Herman better get back to owning this state next year; it's obviously a big year for Texas recruiting and one we need to dominate

Agreed. However, Jimbo aint winning shit as long as Saban is at Bama, as today proves once again. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

EJ, one year from now: "Zach's family has always been worried about the workload he might see at Texas.  It really would have helped if Texas landed one of their top targets last year to split carries."

I think that's a good take.  

Watching the game against LT,  North Shore had a good 2nd team back that got quite of few carries.  

Evans sure seemed comfortable in that situation.  It will be interesting to see how we use Ingram next year.   

I’m stunned at the reactions on this board. It’s been fairly clear for weeks that Sanders probably it wasn’t picking us, Cain was non-committal and always looking at alternatives, McCoy is in love with USC, Shepard is a flake, and Hookfin was a late-add developmental project. If you are mad, you should have been mad awhile ago.

Personally, I’m not nearly as worried. We have an amazing class, with some gaps at OL, RB and DT. They will find guys at each of those positions that may not be elite, but will be good. Once we kick ass next year, we can get the rest of the elite players we need. The only thing that can put a kink in the plan is if the barrels of cash from other schools start swaying every top talent. Buckle up, pussies.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

I think Nahlins article is pretty good and about where I come down.  They didn't do a good enough job keeping enough players warm and that might come back to bite them in the ass. 

Yep.  No one is upset that they invested time and resources in guys like Sanders and McCoy.  We should go after those kinds of players every year.  We're just annoyed that there were seemingly no apparent backup plans when these hail marys fell incomplete.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m stunned at the reactions on this board. It’s been fairly clear for weeks that Sanders probably it wasn’t picking us, Cain was non-committal and always looking at alternatives, McCoy is in love with USC, Shepard is a flake, and Hookfin was a late-add developmental project. If you are mad, you should have been mad awhile ago.

Personally, I’m not nearly as worried. We have an amazing class, with some gaps at OL, RB and DT. They will find guys at each of those positions that may not be elite, but will be good. Once we kick ass next year, we can get the rest of the elite players we need. The only thing that can put a kink in the plan is if the barrels of cash from other schools start swaying every top talent. Buckle up, pussies.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

People have in fact been saying this the past few weeks. No one's shocked, there's just a difference in reactions between predicting X to happen and seeing X come to fruition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Nails.

Solid class in the fold & the long shots were still out there because that's what they do being headliner names.

Don't let the missed Hail Mary's bum ya out folks, we won't be in the last minute 5* drama until we win some championships and show up in a CFP.