Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

That Cain quote is something this board simply can not get their heads around...Not every kids wants to go to school in a bigger city and not every kid wants to live on the sun heat wise 7 months out of the year. 

I generally assume that most of what kids say is fairly directly adapted from the speech of in whomever they have decided to trust. He was swayed by the Pedo State crowd, so that is likely either (1) part of the standard sales pitch for a dump like "Happy Valley" and/or (2) part of a tactic directed against us. In either event, much like coaches need to self-scout on the field, I hope that our coaches are doing a good scouring the statements of kids whose recruitment fell through to see what lines we need to have already caused to seem insignificant before others whisper them in their ears. The old "towns that are dumps are for kids who mean business" one should not pose major challenges, one would hope.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Well, if you suffer a few injuries, which is known to happen at the DT position, and don't have depth, it's a pretty big fucking problem.

I can do this all day...

Look dude, if you think it's  good roster management going into the season with the RB room consisting of Ingram, Young, true Fr and Kirk Johnson (who the odds of being healthy at any given point are about 20%), with the frequency of injuries at RB position compared to other positions, I don't know what to tell you.  This staff absolutely has to find a grad transfer at this point.

Edited by Skipper

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The other other narrow-minded pessimist has logged on

Has nothing to do with optimism vs. pessimism and everything to do with football. The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage. If your DL beats up their OL and your OL beats up their DL, everyone else on the field has an easier job and you win more games.

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I remember a time when I was in school and Texas got ONE Top 250 national recruit.  (I think it was Lovell Pickney.)  And we used to milk Deer Park High School for all it was worth.  (Not much )

I'd love for us to do better, but I also recall the not-so-good days.

Tommy Jeter says "Hi".

• Like 1

You just listed 2 of the 3 most important positions on the field as areas where we have "gaps."
That's a problem. It's been a problem. And if it continues to be a problem, the program is going nowhere, no matter how many great DBs and WRs we sign.
This. Ranking overall classes is very simplistic. It doesn't take into account value of positions or roster need. Our class ranks high cause it's chalk full of high ranking skill guys and defensive back seven. Not to say it isn't a good class out that those guys aren't important, because it is and they are, but only bringing in one OL and a handful of project DL with no true DT leaves a ton to be desired.

As we're likely to see in the Sugar Bowl, we don't have the horses to compete in the trenches with elite teams. Until we do, we won't be there ourselves. Bigger picture, OL could be starting to turn the corner, and Johnson plus a depth/project take and a JUCO/grad transfer probably keeps it on schedule. But DL, particularly DT, is in a rough spot. As it stands, at best this class treads water up front, which keeps it from being a resounding success, top ten ranking or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is December. We have locked up good to great players in most positions. We are still in on (leading?) for a (maybe psycho, maybe stud) OT. Late deciders and late bloomers are still out there. The rules have changed to facilitate picking up transfers. Maybe crying about the linemen and RB we might not sign next year (yes, it is still 2018) does not yet need to be such a priority hours after inking Jones, Floyd, Smith, Johnson, et al. The lines need beefing up, but to me Jake Smith represents the magic ingredient we have most been missing. This class looks like winners. Hookem!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look dude, if you think it's  good roster management going into the season with the RB room consisting of Ingram, Young, true Fr and Kirk Johnson (who the odds of being healthy at any given point are about 20%), with the frequency of injuries at RB position compared to other positions, I don't know what to tell you.  This staff absolutely has to find a grad transfer at this point.

Two RB's got carries of any significance this season.  The reality is that the position is devalued all across college football including in Herman's offense where the QB is the #2 RB.   I'm sure Texas is still going to grab either a JUCO or a grad transfer - and I'd prefer that to wasting 4 years of a scholarship on a player they clearly don't believe in (Glass).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This. Ranking overall classes is very simplistic. It doesn't take into account value of positions or roster need. Our class ranks high cause it's chalk full of high ranking skill guys and defensive back seven. Not to say it isn't a good class out that those guys aren't important, because it is and they are, but only bringing in one OL and a handful of project DL with no true DT leaves a ton to be desired.

As we're likely to see in the Sugar Bowl, we don't have the horses to compete in the trenches with elite teams. Until we do, we won't be there ourselves. Bigger picture, OL could be starting to turn the corner, and Johnson plus a depth/project take and a JUCO/grad transfer probably keeps it on schedule. But DL, particularly DT, is in a rough spot. As it stands, at best this class treads water up front, which keeps it from being a resounding success, top ten ranking or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What are you talking about?  This team mostly plays one DT.  Last year they took two of the best in the state, and this year they grabbed a kid they see with a lot of potential.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

As we're likely to see in the Sugar Bowl, we don't have the horses to compete in the trenches with elite teams.

What a load of horseshit. We beat OU, played them tough in our rematch, beat the dog piss out of ISU, and should have beat WVU. And that was with a pretty average OL and DL. 

So either you're defining "elite" in an extremely strange, specific, manner or you're being ignorant of what the results have told us this season. 

I don't really understand the panic.  The only position of need where we actually might need some of these recruits to start next year is linebacker.  De'Gabriel Floyd is perhaps the best player in this class, and Caleb Johnson is perhaps the most ready to play.

Everywhere else is about depth.  And I think we are solid at depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, DL, LB and DB.  The only real place we need more depth is interior line, and we have two more months to find some bodies.

It's easy to say we're only getting elite WR and DB, but it's not the case.

Jesus what a fucking beating. But outside of the results of the day, my favorite part as always is the unrecognizable fucks from the football board who show up once a year to tell the regulars on this thread what assholes they are for being critical or pessimistic for any part of this class, staff, or both. Its like 247 arrived and dumped en masse all over the only bearable board relating to football. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What a load of horseshit. We beat OU, played them tough in our rematch, beat the dog piss out of ISU, and should have beat WVU. And that was with a pretty average OL and DL. 

So either you're defining "elite" in an extremely strange, specific, manner or you're being ignorant of what the results have told us this season. 

Lol at calling ISU & WVU elite. 

Your posts are always so fascinating to me. It’s amazing to see just how deep the depths of human stupidity can go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus what a fucking beating. But outsode of the results of the day, my favorite part as always is the fucks from the football board who show up tell the regulars on this thread what assholes they are for being critical or pessimistic for any part of this class, staff, or both. Its like 247 arrived and dumped en masse all over the only bearable board relating to football. 

Weird.  I typically thought it was the regulars of the thread who were more understanding and the non-regulars who freak out about why we aren't landing Ed Oliver.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus what a fucking beating. But outsode of the results of the day, my favorite part as always is the unrecognizable fucks from the football board who show up once a year to tell the regulars on this thread what assholes they are for being critical or pessimistic for any part of this class, staff, or both. Its like 247 arrived and dumped en masse all over the only bearable board relating to football.  

It's both ways. You either get "THIS IS BULLSHIT 247 SAYS WE DIDN'T SIGN ANY DTs" or "Trust the staff, pussies, we'll solve our RB and OL problems next month" and nothing in between.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus what a fucking beating. But outsode of the results of the day, my favorite part as always is the unrecognizable fucks from the football board who show up once a year to tell the regulars on this thread what assholes they are for being critical or pessimistic for any part of this class, staff, or both. Its like 247 arrived and dumped en masse all over the only bearable board relating to football. 

I'm pretty sure 247 is in meltdown mode after EJ promised the world to them this week and all we got was what we've been expecting since last week + Hookfin bailing and Shepherd being Shepherd.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Careful there, you'll be accused of piggybacking on top of Dbeasy.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol at calling ISU & WVU elite. 

Your posts are always so fascinating to me. It’s amazing to see just how deep the depths of human stupidity can go.

OU and WVU both have elite OLines. ISU has the best DLine in the conference. Saying "we don't have the horses to compete in the trenches" is absurd. We've been in every game we've played this season, including 2 games against a team that everyone and their mother's agree is probably better than Georgia. 

Yes we have holes that need fixing, but outside of Bama and Clemson I don't think we would be some cupcake blood sacrifice to any team in the country.  If you want to use the hypothetical data point of a team we haven't played yet instead of the 13 actual data points sitting in front of you then be my guest. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hookfin tweets about a possible change of plans.

Hopefully he was listening to ESPN2 when the commentator said OL/DT guys should wait til NSD2.  They are high value guys that are not easily replaced.  You can wait until you are sure and the teams will hold a spot for you.  If your a WR or DB you might think twice about them holding a spot for you.

Really someone got to him and told him he is beyond crazy to think he would be better red shirting and building out his frame.