Texas recruiting notes 2019

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What are your thoughts on the situation at USC?

A mess.  Keeping Clay Helton is important to the players, recruits and the families, so Lynn Swann is standing by  Clay by not making a HC change, but many feel that Lynn mandated the offensive overhaul.  

The fan base base is imploding because we’re entitled little bitches.

Edited by TrojanPrincess
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I would wager both Rising and Thompson will leave.  They are going to have 20 or 30 teams recruiting them from now until Spring.  Basically any team with a QB room that projects as really young or shitty. Odds are there’s going to be a sales pitch to both that is more enticing than what they currently have. 

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

I would wager both Rising and Thompson will leave.  They are going to have 20 or 30 teams recruiting them from now until Spring.  Basically any team with a QB room that projects as really young or shitty. Odds are there’s going to be a sales pitch to both that is more enticing than what they currently have. 

But they'll still have to sit a year and learn a new system. There's an opportunity cost.

38 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I assume this is because Beck sucks as a QB coach, as evidenced by Sam's lack of development,  since he is a plus recruiter and we have assumed that Herman has been the play caller, right?  

What fucking team were you watching this year? Take a timeout.  Maybe sit by the garbage and think about what you just said.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Our incoming QB is always going to be our next savior, right? This time next year he’ll be the backup who’s never taken a snap and therefore unproven at the college level. /Fan logic

Yeah, but Roschon isn’t why Thompson and Rising are looking around. It’s because of Ehlinger. 

QB’s in this transfer environment aren’t going to wait until year 4 to be guaranteed significant playing time. 

This isn’t just a UT thing. OU has lost like 5 or 6 QBs to transfer the last 7 cycles because they always have a good starter. 

This is why you just keep stacking QBs. If one ends up being good (like Ehlinger) there is going to be attrition. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Our incoming QB is always going to be our next savior, right? This time next year he’ll be the backup who’s never taken a snap and therefore unproven at the college level. /Fan logic

I don’t think I nor anyone else on this thread called him a savior. If you are a backup at another school and scouting out potential places, are you likely to pick a school with our depth chart? You know, the school that is losing QB’s to avoid having five scholarship players on a depth chart where the current starter is a true sophomore? 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t think I nor anyone else on this thread called him a savior. If you are a backup at another school and scouting out potential places, are you likely to pick a school with our depth chart? You know, the school that is losing QB’s to avoid having five scholarship players on a depth chart where the current starter is a true sophomore? 

I’m thinking you missed my point but I don’t care enough to attempt to explain it better.

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But they'll still have to sit a year and learn a new system. There's an opportunity cost.

Isn't their ways around sitting a year?  I was reading the kid thats transferring from Georgia was hiring a lawyer to try to get out of sitting a year whereever he lands.

1 minute ago, Ramdiesel said:

Isn't their ways around sitting a year?  I was reading the kid thats transferring from Georgia was hiring a lawyer to try to get out of sitting a year whereever he lands.

He's claiming racism as extenuating circumstances that forced him to transfer. Some dude claimed allergies

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk he stays, but depth chart concerns are probably tougher to overcome than those about the offense. If Casey Thompson is never better than QB3 for the first 3-4 years on campus, staying at Texas probably doesn't sound enticing to him.

Definitely not a slam dunk.

55 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

don’t you mean sound logic?

21 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m thinking you missed my point but I don’t care enough to attempt to explain it better.

but you did care enough to respond and that’s really all that matters. 

so about the transfer portal... players put their name in and can be contacted and recruited by other coaches for a period of time but don’t necessarily have to leave?  can they take visits to other schools?  and then after this courtship they can decide to stay put?

I think I agree with that fat toad in funkytown about this shit. 

Just now, futureman said:

so about the transfer portal... players put their name in and can be contacted and recruited by other coaches for a period of time but don’t necessarily have to leave?  can they take visits to other schools?  and then after this courtship they can decide to stay put?

I think I agree with that fat toad in funkytown about this shit. 

Yes, you can remove your name from the portal.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

don’t you mean sound logic?

but you did care enough to respond and that’s really all that matters. 

1. Same players we raved about the year before and nothing happened to change our mind other than the age of their highlights.

2. Hey buddy, I choose when and where I waste my time.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah that racism claim would be a joke and he’d be a coward to hide behind it.  

He’s got a claim. At a home game this season a UGA baseball player was yelling racial slurs at him and the guy was eventually kicked off the team. 

You figure you may have to deal with that shit on the road, but not at home.

Not saying it justifies his decision to transfer, but you may as well make your case if you’re trying to play right away. 

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

He’s got a claim. At a home game this season a UGA baseball player was yelling racial slurs at him and the guy was eventually kicked off the team. 

Not saying it justifies his decision to transfer, but you may as well make your case if you’re trying to play right away. 

it doesn’t justify him weaseling out of his situation.  he went to school at georgia and knew fromm was the starter and now he’s butthurt because he couldn’t beat him out so instead of going about things the way anyone else has to he’s gonna cry about one drunk college prick using a slur one time?  please. 

1 hour ago, TrojanPrincess said:

A mess.  Keeping Clay Helton is important to the players, recruits and the families, so Lynn Swann is standing by  Clay by not making a HC change, but many feel that Lynn mandated the offensive overhaul.  

The fan base base is imploding because we’re entitled little bitches.

Outside of McCoy, who are the recruits about whom you’re speaking? You’ve signed a shit class because the guy is a weak coach and a weak recruiter and the stench around him is tough to wash off. I know that hurts to hear, since you’re in the tank on him, but what I said about the guy this summer holds true. The best in SoCal don’t want to play for him and he’s going to be a hilarious bust. But congrats on Bru. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This transfer portal is going to incentivize the Texas staff to get more active on the transfer market. There are going to be a lot of quality transfers looking around. 

Losing both Rising and Thompson would suck but Texas can benefit from this system. 

Very true.  A masters degree at a great academic school in one of the best cities at blue blood program has to be a top choice for players like Tre Watson.  Guys that have proven they can contribute meaningful snaps at a P5 level but may not have NFL talent.  I can see Texas picking up 1-2 solid players every year to shore up weak positions.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:49 PM, Machinator said:

Scipio Tex: Random National Signing Day 1 Thoughts

Hide contents

Some quick thoughts post-NSD 1. I'll probably have more on individual players later.

The class was saved by OOS recruiting. 11 of the 21 signees are from out of state and I think there could have been more if we'd hit the California mix a bit harder and earlier. To my knowledge, that gross number and percentage of OOS recruits are the highest in Texas Longhorn history. The reasons why were unique and had something to do with both the quality of the possibilities and the necessity of looking elsewhere due to in-state dynamics, a few staff bricks, the mental and dispositional composition of the in-state class, OU and A&M's in-state recruiting resurgence along with various other national recruiters, and some larger currents already described by @Eric Nahlin. The takeaway? 1) OOS recruiting is here to stay for the reasons I've outlined multiple times and 2) a strong Texas should get the players it wants both in state and out. We'll need to do better with the former in 2020. 

There's a tendency to discount birds-in-hand, particularly when they're low drama recruits who don't play the game late to feed ego (or pad a wallet). Be excited that guys like Jake Smith, Tyler Johnson, Roschon Johnson, De'Gabriel Floyd, Brayden Liebrock, Chris Adimora and Jordan Whittington made up their minds early and then cruised into signing day. Strong late finishes always feel better perceptually, but the player is what matters. Charlie Strong finished his 2016 class strong perceptually, didn't he? With busts. 

Along those lines, there's a lot of talk about optics in recruiting. How losing Player X looks or will be perceived. How we should sign Player Y even if he's a likely bust, a bad mental eval, or has poor film that hasn't quite penetrated the analyst's brains because it's a "rankings win." This is Recruiting Fetishism at its worst and a failure to understand its actual purpose. You recruit players so that you can develop them and turn them into a two deep who can win the conference and take you to the NCAA playoffs. When you replace a viable recruit with a higher ranked high probability wash out, you harm your program culturally and those development holes always show up 2-3 years later as we puzzle over a thin depth chart or start freshmen who should be redshirting. The optics that matter happen during the college football playoffs and the final polls. Nick Saban isn't lecturing his staff about perceptual recruiting wins.

One OL in a class that needs four won't cut it. Particularly when there are no complementary DL or TE takes who might be future conversions. There are NSD2 and grad transfer options to explore, but the former will be a hard slog and the latter should be viewed as a bonus, not the core of a developmental OL. You can't progress the biggest positional core of your program on rentals. Grad transfers are welcome stopgaps. Not foundation. 

Landing RB2 didn't work out. Let's just say I wasn't surprised. The loss of Noah Cain to Penn State hurts because the RB room needed a high floor, high volume inside zone runner serious about football who was durable, mature and capable of contributing instantly. He was basically guaranteed 8-12 carries a game next year and a legitimate shot at starting if he proved dynamic. Instead, Cain is going to a late compromise school with a solid depth chart. The staff got distracted chasing ghosts while being used as an honest name to give a SEC bidding war legitimacy. The rationalizations around this aren't compelling and miss the big picture. You have to prioritize contingency plans. In June. Let's see what the staff can turn up down the stretch. 

The linebacker class is compelling. I wouldn't be surprised if equal parts desperation and precocious talent mean that De'Gabriel Floyd is starting by Game 4 next year. How Tillman, Gbenda and Johnson go will tell the tale. Each represents a specific type of off-the-ball LB (which Orlando needs badly) and charting how each develops will be an interesting case study. 

The DL class is full of interesting developmental types. I like how they all profile, though they each require some imagination and obvious development to hit. The lack of a no brainer elite is unfortunate, so cleaning up in 2020 with pipe hitters is imperative. If we can't, I'll have some questions. 

You obviously want to land your priority targets at any position, but there's no more forgiving position than WR for contingency plans. That written, there was an incoherence to our recruiting there that suggests more flailing about than master plan. Texas always wants to be in the position of selecting from a positional strength, even in areas of relative riches. 

There are clear rainmaker recruiting positions on a football staff with modest positional responsibilities. If they aren't killing it, you'll never maximize. The staff that gets you the Texas job is never good enough to maximize there. Every Longhorn head coach learns this the hard way. The question is how quick they are on the uptake. 

The sheer stupidity of some of the advisors, relatives and hangers-on in various recruit's ears can be shocking. It's tough to blame staff for losing out on a badly advised athlete. It's also hard to know when to switch from sweet-talking to a hard reality shock. 

There's a tendency to narrow the prospective recruiting universe in a class to who the staff prioritizes. We saw several instances in 2019 where the staff did a terrific job of expanding the positional universe of prospective recruits (sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity) while also doing a relatively poor job with some others. It's up to the staff to suss out the disconnects there. Is it not keeping enough back-ups warm? Not having the recruiting support staff aggressively identify more OOS or JUCO options? Did we let some lead recruiters hyper-focus without seeing the big picture? Is every positional and geographically assigned coach looking aggressively to improve his hand or just settling for the cards dealt? 

This class has a good mix of guys who are good at football who play the game better than they currently test and have their best football well ahead of them (Mpagi, Sweat, Wiley, Lewis, Jones) and crazy SPARQ freaks who already look like college athletes that we'll try to coach up (Watson, Owens) on the finer points and translate those traits to production. The SPARQ freaks will always be higher rated than the blue collar pluggers, but programs are built on strong reliable floors as much as high theoretical ceilings. The idea is to hit a good mix of both. 

With 21 in the bag, an already good class is far from over. Let's see how we finish.

Just reading this. TY. Scipio can wear you out at times but this was a very direct recap.

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Very true.  A masters degree at a great academic school in one of the best cities at blue blood program has to be a top choice for players like Tre Watson.  Guys that have proven they can contribute meaningful snaps at a P5 level but may not have NFL talent.  I can see Texas picking up 1-2 solid players every year to shore up weak positions.

Those are just grad transfers too. I bet they get more active with transfers that have to sit out a year.

Where this portal will go wrong is when schools like Texas start poaching good players from non-p5 schools. If you're a good player on an average non-P5 team why wouldn't you enter the portal and see what options are out there? 

First player that comes to mind is Ben Banogu at TCU these last 2 years. You can find good players like those on small school teams. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of McCoy, who are the recruits about whom you’re speaking? You’ve signed a shit class because the guy is a weak coach and a weak recruiter and the stench around him is tough to wash off. I know that hurts to hear, since you’re in the tank on him, but what I said about the guy this summer holds true. The best in SoCal don’t want to play for him and he’s going to be a hilarious bust. But congrats on Bru. 

how’s the USC defense?  kliff may be gone in a year but he can make an offense go.  especially in a conference unfamiliar with him. 

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

how’s the USC defense?  kliff may be gone in a year but he can make an offense go.  especially in a conference unfamiliar with him. 

This is the first time I’ve actually ever agreed with you.  It feels gross but you’re spot on.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If coach bro gets the offense clicking Helton might not be a lame duck and this year may be an outlier recruiting wise.  KK is a notoriously shitty recruiter and had nothing to do with this class.  They may have a burp in play in 2-3 years, they’ll also be putting up 40+ a game in the process.  Coach bro has also never had access to the talent he will at USC.  I’ll hold my breath on the last part of your statement and expect that attitude to change.

*We are not getting Bru.  

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

1) The guy was a baseball player who was at least kicked off the team, if not kicked out of school within 2 days. (48 hours)

2) It's Georgia. You absolutely would expect it On the Road, At Home, On Campus, Just Off Campus...

1 hour ago, futureman said:

it doesn’t justify him weaseling out of his situation.  he went to school at georgia and knew from was the starter and now he’s butthurt because he couldn’t beat him out so instead of going about things the way anyone else has to he’s gonna cry about one drunk college prick using a slur one time?  please. 

3) And his sister just signed to play some sport there this fall. (Basketball or Volleyball I believe.)

Your family has no problem sending the younger sister to the school, but a single incident that was immediately investigated and then dealt with by the school is a reason that a player should have to sit out a year?

THIS IS A FUCKING JOKE!

Plus, this happens at every SEC school and probably many others. (ACC...) Allowing him to transfer without sitting out a year would be opening Pandora's Box.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sigh. Futureman'd again 

I gotchu fam. 

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

1) The guy was a baseball player who was at least kicked off the team, if not kicked out of school within 2 days. (48 hours)

2) It's Georgia. You absolutely would expect it On the Road, At Home, On Campus, Just Off Campus...

3) And his sister just signed to play some sport there this fall. (Basketball or Volleyball I believe.)

Your family has no problem sending the younger sister to the school, but a single incident that was immediately investigated and then dealt with by the school is a reason that a player should have to sit out a year?

THIS IS A FUCKING JOKE!

Plus, this happens at every SEC school and probably many others. (ACC...) Allowing him to transfer without sitting out a year would be opening Pandora's Box.

Go back to the football board.

31 minutes ago, futureman said:

oh bullshit glen.  I can’t remember being at odds with you on anything.  

Fuck you.

• Like 1