Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Which begs the question, will Herman bring on a play caller or is he content filling that role again next season? Texas HC is too big a job to continue handling playcalling responsibilities, but Herman may believe he can do it all.

There are plenty of head coaches around the country who call plays - offense or defense.  Herman can do it - he proved that this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

At this point, everyone's contracts are "over" outside of Hand, right?

Reveal hidden contents

No...... Beck has one year left on his 3 year Contract.  Orlando still under contract too along with Hand.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Which begs the question, will Herman bring on a play caller or is he content filling that role again next season? Texas HC is too big a job to continue handling playcalling responsibilities, but Herman may believe he can do it all.

I find this notion to be fucking stupid. Are you tacitly suggesting either:

a.) The OU job is NOT too big for a head coach to call plays or
b.) The reason OU can't win the big games is because Lincoln Riley spends too much time calling plays and not enough time in other areas?

I find both concepts to be retarded. Listen, coaches gameplan as a group. Herman gives the offensive staff marching orders, they gameplan for how to attack the next week. Then the game unfolds in front of the coaches the same way in unfolds in front of us. It's not like Herman doesn't know his own fucking playbook. So if you're sitting there telling me it's just "too difficult" for Tom Herman to watch a game the same as we do, potentially see tendencies or weaknesses, and call a play from a playbook he basically fucking wrote, then I don't know what to tell you. But I reject the notion out of hand that a HC can't call his own plays and that it is too much of a drain on resources he should be devoting elsewhere. The offensive staff gameplans all week per a plan that head coach has a hand in crafting. They prepare the kids. The difference is literally a guy who sticks with his woobie and calls 3 straight plays they're comfortable with versus a guy who calls plays based on what he is seeing and adjusts. 

• Like 5

Herman did fine as a playcaller this season but in order to maximize our potential I’d like to see us bring someone in who has more time to focus on it than the Texas HC. Sure there are many programs where the HC has playcalling responsibilities but outside of OU I don’t know of any on the top tier that we are wanting to compete with.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Who are they?  Lincoln Riley? 

Dan Mullen has always called his own plays. Gus Malzahn at times has called his own plays, including the year he won a national title. Steve Spurrier always called his own plays. I believe Rich Rod has called his own plays during his glory years at WVU. Phillip Montgomery calls his own plays. Future head coach of the Arizona Cardinals Kliff Kingsbury.  And that's off the top of my head. You can point out that the list is hit or miss, but most of those names have had success at very high, and even the very highest levels. 

• Like 1

I find this notion to be fucking stupid. Are you tacitly suggesting either:

a.) The OU job is NOT too big for a head coach to call plays or
b.) The reason OU can't win the big games is because Lincoln Riley spends too much time calling plays and not enough time in other areas?

I find both concepts to be retarded. Listen, coaches gameplan as a group. Herman gives the offensive staff marching orders, they gameplan for how to attack the next week. Then the game unfolds in front of the coaches the same way in unfolds in front of us. It's not like Herman doesn't know his own fucking playbook. So if you're sitting there telling me it's just "too difficult" for Tom Herman to watch a game the same as we do, potentially see tendencies or weaknesses, and call a play from a playbook he basically fucking wrote, then I don't know what to tell you. But I reject the notion out of hand that a HC can't call his own plays and that it is too much of a drain on resources he should be devoting elsewhere. The offensive staff gameplans all week per a plan that head coach has a hand in crafting. They prepare the kids. The difference is literally a guy who sticks with his woobie and calls 3 straight plays they're comfortable with versus a guy who calls plays based on what he is seeing and adjusts. 

Yes I think OU would be better off if Lincoln would hire someone to handle playcalling responsibilities so he can focus more attention on other aspects of the program and that was evident in the results considering OU was pretty terrible at everything except O.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dan Mullen has always called his own plays. Gus Malzahn at times has called his own plays, including the year he won a national title. Steve Spurrier always called his own plays. I believe Rich Rod has called his own plays during his glory years at WVU. Phillip Montgomery calls his own plays. Future head coach of the Arizona Cardinals Kliff Kingsbury.  And that's off the top of my head. You can point out that the list is hit or miss, but most of those names have had success at very high, and even the very highest levels. 

Good list, and I figured there were a few, but couldn't recall off the top of my head.  Though Malzahn never won a title as Auburn head coach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Yes I think OU would be better off if Lincoln would hire someone to handle playcalling responsibilities so he can focus more attention on other aspects of the program and that was evident in the results considering OU was pretty terrible at everything except O.

So you think Lincoln Riley, offensive wizard, should devote less resources to the area he does as good or better than anyone in the country, to focus more time on say...fixing the defense? An area to which he is much, much less experienced. 

The dichotomy of offensive vs. defensive minded head coaches is standard in all levels of football. It's a natural order. You've got two kinds of coaches: The Mack Brown hands off everything CEO, or the Guru on one side of the ball who remains involved. Period. Riley is the latter. He's going to be involved. You're basically asking him to back off the last 5% of the job which he does really well, to either 1) Become just a CEO guy which probably isn't his personality or 2) to focus on fixing an area of the ball he isn't special at directing. If he did #2 it would likely be seen as meddling and unless it was 100% successful fans would justifiably lose their shit. 

• Like 2

I'd actually prefer Herman to continue calling plays.  Orlando has the D under control and we should have plenty of QC types who can assist with game/clock management oversight.  Herman is where he is largely due to his abilities as an OC and play-caller.  He needs to keep doing it.  As for Beatty, I want him on staff more for his recruiting chops in D/FW than anything else.  The ability to help TH out on the offense is a bonus. 

So you think Lincoln Riley, offensive wizard, should devote less resources to the area he does as good or better than anyone in the country, to focus more time on say...fixing the defense? An area to which he is much, much less experienced. 

The dichotomy of offensive vs. defensive minded head coaches is standard in all levels of football. It's a natural order. You've got two kinds of coaches: The Mack Brown hands off everything CEO, or the Guru on one side of the ball who remains involved. Period. Riley is the latter. He's going to be involved. You're basically asking him to back off the last 5% of the job which he does really well, to either 1) Become just a CEO guy which probably isn't his personality or 2) to focus on fixing an area of the ball he isn't special at directing. If he did #2 it would likely be seen as meddling and unless it was 100% successful fans would justifiably lose their shit. 

I think some CFB HC jobs carry so many responsibilities outside of even coaching that a HC would be better off hiring someone to focus on something as important as playcalling.  The HC can still be heavily involved in gameplanning and give input on playcalling when needed.  That's the model Saban, who is a defensive wizard, has followed.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I also think that if you are going to be HC at a job like OU or Texas then you better fucking focus some of your time educating yourself about modern D so you don't keep Mike Stoops too long or hire someone like Alex Grinch.

Just now, elguapo said:

I think some CFB HC jobs carry so many responsibilities outside of even coaching that a HC would be better off hiring someone to focus on something as important as playcalling.  The HC can still be heavily involved in gameplanning and give input on playcalling when needed.  That's the model Saban, who is a defensive wizard, has followed.

And you think it's a complete coincidence that Saban's defenses, irrespective of great talent, continue to be extremely salty despite coordinator after coordinator moving on?

Let me ask you this in a different way. Assuming that the game-planning, the install to the players, the basic scouting, is performed by the offensive staff during the week, and the kids are prepped...what exactly do you think Tom Herman should be doing on Saturday for 3 hours that would maximize his time. You know, DURING the game. What else should he be doing for those 3 hours that calling offensive plays is getting in the way of and preventing us from maximizing as a program? Texting recruits? Hovering over Orlando's shoulder? Taunting Zach Smith? 

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

I also think that if you are going to be HC at a job like OU or Texas then you better fucking focus some of your time educating yourself about modern D so you don't keep Mike Stoops too long or hire someone like Alex Grinch.

Listen, if you want to tell me that Herman should be watching more Glengarry Glen Ross so he can sack up and fire the dead weight from his staff, that's a different conversation. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

And you think it's a complete coincidence that Saban's defenses, irrespective of great talent, continue to be extremely salty despite coordinator after coordinator moving on?

Let me ask you this in a different way. Assuming that the game-planning, the install to the players, the basic scouting, is performed by the offensive staff during the week, and the kids are prepped...what exactly do you think Tom Herman should be doing on Saturday for 3 hours that would maximize his time. You know, DURING the game. What else should he be doing for those 3 hours that calling offensive plays is getting in the way of and preventing us from maximizing as a program? Texting recruits? Hovering over Orlando's shoulder? Taunting Zach Smith? 

What do you think all of the other HC's that aren't calling plays during games are doing?

• Like 1

Just now, elguapo said:

What do you think all of the other HC's that aren't calling plays during games are doing?

That's not an answer, that's a fucking deflection.

Mack Brown spent a lot of time with his hands on his knees and fucking clapping. Charlie Strong spent a lot of time staring off into space and swatting away imaginary flies. Les Miles ate grass.

Lets not pretend coaching is nearly as fucking complicated as people often make it out to be.

• Like 5

It comes down to Herman's self-appraisal. If he thinks he can manage the game effectively while calling plays, he should. Fact of the matter is that there are probably few candidates out there who are better at it than he is.

If he can't, then he needs to get off his ass and hire the best OC money can buy.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not an answer, that's a fucking deflection.

Mack Brown spent a lot of time with his hands on his knees and fucking clapping. Charlie Strong spent a lot of time staring off into space and swatting away imaginary flies. Les Miles ate grass.

Lets not pretend coaching is nearly as fucking complicated as people often make it out to be.

I'd like him to do more of what Saban/Swinney/Meyer do during games and less of what Brown/Strong do.

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I don't really care one way or another if Herman is going to call the plays, but he damn sure needs to shake up the staff accordingly if he is going to continue to do it. It's pointless having an OC up in the booth basically just watching the game like some $200 donor.

I can agree with this.  The current staff doesn't maximize our resources and potential regardless of whether Herman retains playcalling duties or not.  In the long run I think it would be better for Herman to eventually give up that responsibility.

10 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I don't really care one way or another if Herman is going to call the plays, but he damn sure needs to shake up the staff accordingly if he is going to continue to do it. It's pointless having an OC up in the booth basically just watching the game like some $200 donor.

Huh?  What do you think those coaches up in the booth are doing? 

Are you under the impression that an OC's duties end when the game is over?

• Like 1

I'd like him to do more of what Saban/Swinney/Meyer do during games and less of what Brown/Strong do.

Again, this is a deflection. You have no clue what any of those guys do during the games you just by gosh want him to do what the winners do. You may as well fucking have shown up here and demanded that Tom Herman call the Touchdown Play more often. 

Let me help you with what you don't seem to know: The things that Meyer/Swimmey/Saban do to be successful at such a high level are performed during the other 6 days of the week 90-95% of time, and the other 9 months out of the year. At least at this current era of college football. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If we do not sign 5-7 west coast guys this year we are leaving meat on the bone. USC in full on tire fire mode now. 

West coast recruiting, not getting butt-fucked in DFW (Beaty could potentially help there, if his reputation as a DFW recruiter has any merit), St. Louis recruiting, Louisiana under rocks digging, and Atlanta metro area with the help of a certain signee's dad should help supplement what should be our home bases in Houston, central Texas, and East Texas

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

West coast recruiting, not getting butt-fucked in DFW (Beaty could potentially help there, if his reputation as a DFW recruiter has any merit), St. Louis recruiting, Louisiana under rocks digging, and Atlanta metro area with the help of a certain signee's dad should help supplement what should be our home bases in Houston, central Texas, and East Texas

short version:  errbody

11 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Not really. Even when OCs are on the sideline, most will have at least one assistant up in the booth. Someone who is away from the action and can see things from a bird's eye view and tip the play-caller off to some things, look for what they tell them to look for, etc...

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

Again, this is a deflection. You have no clue what any of those guys do during the games you just by gosh want him to do what the winners do. You may as well fucking have shown up here and demanded that Tom Herman call the Touchdown Play more often. 

Let me help you with what you don't seem to know: The things that Meyer/Swimmey/Saban do to be successful at such a high level are performed during the other 6 days of the week 90-95% of time, and the other 9 months out of the year. At least at this current era of college football. 

Actually I just don't have any interest continuing and subjecting all of the other fine posters in this establishment to this pointless argument with a verbose blowhard such as yourself.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

for what it's worth, here is the OU coaching split:

4 Defense: 

• AHC & DC
  • AHC & DB
  • Inside LB
  • Outside LB
  • DL

5 Offense:

• Co OC & Inside WR
  • Co OC & OL
  • AHC& TE &  HBacks
  • ST & RB
  • Outside WR

Actually I just don't have any interest continuing and subjecting all of the other fine posters in this establishment to this pointless argument with a verbose blowhard such as yourself.

Excellent response. Thanks for finally responding to none of the questions I posed to you. And how magnanimous of you to quit while you're behind. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2