Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

On 4/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, rickyspub said:

Clemson Spring Game Today. While it sounds like the coaches are happy with the RB room, I am guessing we still chase Feaster should he decide to portal, right? Not sure Orlando had penciled Floyd in for major playing time, but any background on what LB grad transfers generally look like? Is it all JAGs or is there value? 

Dabo is telling Feaster that he's going to get the same or close the same number of carries as Etienne. It might even be sort of true - if you could a bunch of garbage time hand offs when Clemson is up by 70 on Wofford as "the same or close to the same."

Unfortunately for us, it's working and everyone expects Feaster to stick around. The reality, though, is that Dabo won't hesitate to stick him right back on the bench in favor of someone like Dixon the incoming freshman from Florida if he thinks one of those guys is better.

It's not impossible that Feaster will enter the portal, but it's looking pretty unlikely right now. I hope I'm wrong.

20 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Dabo is telling Feaster that he's going to get the same or close the same number of carries as Etienne. It might even be sort of true - if you could a bunch of garbage time hand offs when Clemson is up by 70 on Wofford as "the same or close to the same."

Unfortunately for us, it's working and everyone expects Feaster to stick around. The reality, though, is that Dabo won't hesitate to stick him right back on the bench in favor of someone like Dixon the incoming freshman from Florida if he thinks one of those guys is better.

It's not impossible that Feaster will enter the portal, but it's looking pretty unlikely right now. I hope I'm wrong.

ingram, whittington, and danny young will get us through 2019.  and I think you’re wrong about dabo.  he’s a good ol’ boy god-fearin momma-lovin honest son of a gun and I don’t think he’d lie to a kid.  there’s nothing slimy about him.  

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

ingram, whittington, and danny young will get us through 2019.  and I think you’re wrong about dabo.  he’s a good ol’ boy god-fearin momma-lovin honest son of a gun and I don’t think he’d lie to a kid.  there’s nothing slimy about him.  

Slimy scale:  Smart 10,  Saban 10,  Jimbo 10 , Ogre 9,  Dabo 5, Herman 4.

9 hours ago, futureman said:

I know you're joking, but a while ago someone said something to the effect of "if you buy Dabo's act, I have some beautiful beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you." That person was 100% correct.

In terms of sliminess, he's much further up "the list" than some of you think.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I know you're joking, but a while ago someone said something to the effect of "if you buy Dabo's act, I have some beautiful beachfront property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you." That person was 100% correct.

In terms of sliminess, he's much further up "the list" than some of you think.

“someone” said.  well, that is some solid reporting. 

20 minutes ago, futureman said:

“someone” said.  well, that is some solid reporting. 

Yeah, it can't be true because when the people with knowledge and sources don't call Futureman up directly to give him the 411, on the record, while you have your stenographer type that shit out in real time, amirite?

Dabo plays the game as good as anyone. Their 247 mod or rivals mod was/is a bagman, and the guy was fully aware of a fucking church that handles their money laundering/donations.Lets not delude ourselves because of an awe shucks veneer. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If he's looking to pull a Jarvis Jones, I'd understand it. I'd be panicking about it if I was his parents, but I get the thought process.

If the doctors aren't clearing him I wouldn't be shocked by this news. 

Bobby even said in the thread, "Different doctors can have different opinions on the condition." 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If the doctors aren't clearing him I wouldn't be shocked by this news. 

Bobby even said in the thread, "Different doctors can have different opinions on the condition." 

I'm sure the Baton Rouge medical community can find a novel diagnosis.

• Like 3

Short blurb on Watson from IT:

KENYATTA WATSON II

When the Grayson (GA) four-star signee started planning his spring break, he noticed it lined up with Texas' spring game. With school work in order, he decided two weeks in Austin with his future squad was better than one.

“It’s been good to me,” said Watson, about this trip. “Everybody has been really cool, especially on the team. They all pretty much treat me like a little brother.”

He’s been consuming everything Austin has to offer and loving every minute of it. He wants to come to Texas prepared, and trust me, he will be.

“The coaches and players been helping me out with a lot especially Coach (Nathan) Vasher, who helps with the DBs,” said Watson. “They’ve basically gotten me caught up with the whole defense so far in the spring in a week and a half.”

After watching a ton of Texas Football practice, he sees a bright future at his school of choice. For a kid with his ability and maturity, his future is on the rise too.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Short blurb on Watson from IT:

Reveal hidden contents

KENYATTA WATSON II

When the Grayson (GA) four-star signee started planning his spring break, he noticed it lined up with Texas' spring game. With school work in order, he decided two weeks in Austin with his future squad was better than one.

“It’s been good to me,” said Watson, about this trip. “Everybody has been really cool, especially on the team. They all pretty much treat me like a little brother.”

He’s been consuming everything Austin has to offer and loving every minute of it. He wants to come to Texas prepared, and trust me, he will be.

“The coaches and players been helping me out with a lot especially Coach (Nathan) Vasher, who helps with the DBs,” said Watson. “They’ve basically gotten me caught up with the whole defense so far in the spring in a week and a half.”

After watching a ton of Texas Football practice, he sees a bright future at his school of choice. For a kid with his ability and maturity, his future is on the rise too.

Watson was such a huge get. I can’t remember a CB prospect with his length, explosiveness, and hip fluidity. He’s gonna be a monster.

TFB on Floyd: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Quick Hitter | Future of Floyd
– Will Baizer

There are rumors floating around out there about the future of De’Gabriel Floyd, including one I saw on an LSU site that alleged he is looking to transferring to LSU. I’ve checked with three sources in different place. Here are their responses:

“Not true.”

“No. That’s not true at all. It’s 100% false.”

“That would be news to me.”

I’ll piece together the info I’ve received to give you a picture of my understanding of what is happening to stop the guessing.

– De’Gabriel Floyd has a herniated disc. This seems to be a huge factor at play because it is the main cause behind the spinal stenosis that is holding him out.

– Per spineuniverse.com, a bulging disc or fragments from a herniated disc can then protrude into the spinal canal or pinch on the nerve extending through the foramen. Ligaments connecting the vertebrae may also degenerate and allow the vertebrae to shift, which can pinch the spinal cord or nerves. I have a picture below that displays an example of what is possibly happening.

Herniated+disc?format=1000w

– The plan going forward with De’Gabriel Floyd is to put him through rigorous physical therapy to reduce the swelling in his herniated disc causing the spinal stenosis. As a very last resort, Floyd may undergo surgery for the herniated disc.

– All parties are optimistic about his treatment; however, I will not tell you that it is 100% happening. The neck is tricky.

For now, they have been toying around with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac linebacker to see if they can get Caleb Johnson on the field alongside him at Rover. However, the plan right now is Ayodele Adeoye as the Mac and McCulloch as the Rover to start.

As was stated in the comments by one user, it is likely Texas will go after a graduate transfer linebacker after the Spring.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Floyd: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Hide contents

Quick Hitter | Future of Floyd
– Will Baizer

There are rumors floating around out there about the future of De’Gabriel Floyd, including one I saw on an LSU site that alleged he is looking to transferring to LSU. I’ve checked with three sources in different place. Here are their responses:

“Not true.”

“No. That’s not true at all. It’s 100% false.”

“That would be news to me.”

I’ll piece together the info I’ve received to give you a picture of my understanding of what is happening to stop the guessing.

– De’Gabriel Floyd has a herniated disc. This seems to be a huge factor at play because it is the main cause behind the spinal stenosis that is holding him out.

– Per spineuniverse.com, a bulging disc or fragments from a herniated disc can then protrude into the spinal canal or pinch on the nerve extending through the foramen. Ligaments connecting the vertebrae may also degenerate and allow the vertebrae to shift, which can pinch the spinal cord or nerves. I have a picture below that displays an example of what is possibly happening.

Herniated+disc?format=1000w

– The plan going forward with De’Gabriel Floyd is to put him through rigorous physical therapy to reduce the swelling in his herniated disc causing the spinal stenosis. As a very last resort, Floyd may undergo surgery for the herniated disc.

– All parties are optimistic about his treatment; however, I will not tell you that it is 100% happening. The neck is tricky.

For now, they have been toying around with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac linebacker to see if they can get Caleb Johnson on the field alongside him at Rover. However, the plan right now is Ayodele Adeoye as the Mac and McCulloch as the Rover to start.

As was stated in the comments by one user, it is likely Texas will go after a graduate transfer linebacker after the Spring.

Well that's the second time they've indicated that it is the herniated disc that is CAUSING the spinal stenosis. The first time I thought it was just a mistake, but now I'm interested to hear from our resident medical experts about whether this is possible- that a herniated disc might be leading to a narrowing of the spinal canal?  I talked to my PT MIL, who said they just negatively impact each other, but that healing from the herniated disc won't fix the stenosis.

Well that's the second time they've indicated that it is the herniated disc that is CAUSING the spinal stenosis. The first time I thought it was just a mistake, but now I'm interested to hear from our resident medical experts about whether this is possible- that a herniated disc might be leading to a narrowing of the spinal canal?  I talked to my PT MIL, who said they just negatively impact each other, but that healing from the herniated disc won't fix the stenosis.

I read it as the herniated disc is narrowing the canal due to the swelling. And if they can fix the disc the column would no longer be narrowed as much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

I read it as the herniated disc is narrowing the canal due to the swelling. And if they can fix the disc the column would no longer be narrowed as much.

Yeah. That’s what I understand TFB to be saying but that doesn’t seem correct to me as I thought stenosis was a chronic condition, not one that can be fixed by fixing the herniated disc. I’m no doctor though.

Paging @Magus Ossis.

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

....then what are they waiting for...fix it!

I mean he’s doing PT right now...that’s how you fix a herniated disc.

Surgery on the spine is pretty much always a last resort.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

I agree that this is how it reads, but based on the input from the medial folks on here, that doesn't seem likely. I'm hesitant to take medical information from 9.95ers- I'd rather take it from anonymous posters on here who are in the medical field, or who at least stayed at a La Quinta last night.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 3

I would think the more logical inference would be that 1) there is a narrow canal, 2) there is a herniated disk, and 3) until the herniated disk is taken care of, we won't know whether or not it was the cause of the narrow canal.  In other words, it currently looks like stenosis, but that may just be because of the herniated disk.

It's also possible that they're feeding us bullshit, it's actually incurable stenosis, and we're just waiting out the string until he's told for sure he's 100% done.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would think the more logical inference would be that 1) there is a narrow canal, 2) there is a herniated disk, and 3) until the herniated disk is taken care of, we won't know whether or not it was the cause of the narrow canal.

I herniated my disc dick inside South Austin's mom's narrow canal last night.

Twice.

• Haha 1

Based on the MD I just acquired from google in the last 3 minutes, one form of stenosis is acquired/secondary stenosis, which results from something like a herniated disc causing the narrowing of the spinal column and likely goes away when the disc is relieved.

However, a herniated disc can also be the result of stenosis that is caused by cartilage  damage (in this case due to playing impact spotters), so in this case it appears fixing the herniated disc would not alleviate the stenosis/the risk of future injury to the spine would not decrease.

anyways, it’s in this link here, so if Magus or some other doctor comes in here and obliterates verything I just said, then blame the link.

https://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/causes-spinal-stenosis

Edited by Burt Macklin

30 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I agree that this is how it reads, but based on the input from the medial folks on here, that doesn't seem likely. I'm hesitant to take medical information from 9.95ers- I'd rather take it from anonymous posters on here who are in the medical field, or who at least stayed at a La Quinta last night.

28 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would think the more logical inference would be that 1) there is a narrow canal, 2) there is a herniated disk, and 3) until the herniated disk is taken care of, we won't know whether or not it was the cause of the narrow canal.  In other words, it currently looks like stenosis, but that may just be because of the herniated disk.

It's also possible that they're feeding us bullshit, it's actually incurable stenosis, and we're just waiting out the string until he's told for sure he's 100% done.

I'll chime in on this one. I work predominately with trauma and surgical cases. In terms of spinal column issues, I most often see spinal fusion cases. They're usually idiopathic, congenital, or secondarily result from another disorder. In this case, it sounds like DGF's stenosis is secondary to a herniated or bulging disc. I say this due to the fact that he was relegated to non-contact status so quickly after the initial symptoms and preliminary investigation. Now, PT and medication certainly can aid in the treatment of a herniated disc. However, DGF's case sounds more serious in terms of a diagnosis because it has progressed to a point that stenosis is causing repeated and lingering issues. Stenosis is generally seen in people with repeated friction forcing degeneration (think osteoarthritis), and is not typical for a young, healthy person. I know nothing regarding the specifics of his case (MRI, CT, radiographs, symptoms, etc.), but it sure sounds like he either has overgrowth that has led to bone spurs with compression of the cord, or at some point received an injury that is causing disc misplacement and/or insult to his spinal cord/nerve roots. Given football, the latter etiology is more likely.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'll chime in on this one. I work predominately with trauma and surgical cases. In terms of spinal column issues, I most often see spinal fusion cases. They're usually idiopathic, congenital, or secondarily result from another disorder. In this case, it sounds like DGF's stenosis is secondary to a herniated or bulging disc. I say this due to the fact that he was relegated to non-contact status so quickly after the initial symptoms and preliminary investigation. Now, PT and medication certainly can aid in the treatment of a herniated disc. However, DGF's case sounds more serious in terms of a diagnosis because it has progressed to a point that stenosis is causing repeated and lingering issues. Stenosis is generally seen in people with repeated friction forcing degeneration (think osteoarthritis), and is not typical for a young, healthy person. I know nothing regarding the specifics of his case (MRI, CT, radiographs, symptoms, etc.), but it sure sounds like he either has overgrowth that has led to bone spurs with compression of the cord, or at some point received an injury that is causing disc misplacement and/or insult to his spinal cord/nerve roots. Given football, the latter etiology is more likely.

If it is the latter, would fixing the disc issue via PT, surgery, or some other procedure be likely to remediate the stenosis? 

I'd caution everybody from reading too deeply into what anyone says. TFB aren't doctors and those of us in the medical field can't say anything definitively about DeGabriel because we don't have his charts. Hopefully nobody knows 100% of the story because if they do then there's been some major ethics and HIPAA violations. 

I think what we can read into is Herman. He's pretty coy in his interviews when it comes to injuries, which I appreciate because it protects some of the player's privacy around their health. Look at him talk about Keondre or CJ's issues this past year for an example here. He was pretty blunt about DeGabriel's diagnosis and treatment plan though so I think that says something. Also, Herman isn't exactly easy on injured guys. A number of guys have played through shit in the last two years. So I also think that says something when Herman is keeping DeGabriel out for a season already. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, Magus Ossis said:

Stenosis means an abnormal narrowing of some opening, canal, or vessel. In this case, we are talking about some stenosis affecting either the cervical spinal cord (central) or nerve roots coming off of it. Congenital stenosis is typically central. It is usually asymptomatic and does not require restriction from any sports. It is not associated with a measurable increase in risk for catastrophic injury. Central stenosis is only a concern if there is some other superimposed risk factor suggesting permanent cord damage may occur: multiple episodes of transient quadriparesis, for example. The number of cases is still very small, but the downside is so terrible that players may be restricted for life by some doctors.

Discs can bulge, tear, and squirt their inner gel-like contents in a number of shapes and sizes. This can be superimposed on underlying bony stenosis or may be the only factor. Discs can cause cord (central) and/or nerve root compression. Discs tend to heal over time, and extruded material which compresses nerves often resorbs well enough to resolve all symptoms and risks.

Acquired degenerative spondylotic stenosis is quite rare in teenagers.

If his problem were isolated low-risk congenital stenosis, none of this drama would be going on. If his problem is high-risk congenital stenosis (e.g., with multiple quadriparetic events), the guy holding him out is unlikely to change his mind later (though he might get a second opinion from a less risk-averse physician). If his problem is largely related to a disc injury, it may get better with time, allowing return to play. If it does not, he may have a good result with disc material removal and fusion of the bones on either side of it to each other, again potentially allowing return to play.

The information dribbling out leaves something to be desired, but it currently sounds like some disc is involved. The timeline for giving non-operative care a chance will apparently run long enough that any surgery is likely to keep him off the field for 2019. Unless an official release offers more specificity, we will be left to do a lot of guessing. Every time "disc" gets mentioned, though, it is a positive sign, because that is a problem which can often be fixed and careers resumed.

interesting.

Edited by Longhorn94

On 4/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, Magus Ossis said:

Stenosis means an abnormal narrowing of some opening, canal, or vessel. In this case, we are talking about some stenosis affecting either the cervical spinal cord (central) or nerve roots coming off of it. Congenital stenosis is typically central. It is usually asymptomatic and does not require restriction from any sports. It is not associated with a measurable increase in risk for catastrophic injury. Central stenosis is only a concern if there is some other superimposed risk factor suggesting permanent cord damage may occur: multiple episodes of transient quadriparesis, for example. The number of cases is still very small, but the downside is so terrible that players may be restricted for life by some doctors.

Discs can bulge, tear, and squirt their inner gel-like contents in a number of shapes and sizes. This can be superimposed on underlying bony stenosis or may be the only factor. Discs can cause cord (central) and/or nerve root compression. Discs tend to heal over time, and extruded material which compresses nerves often resorbs well enough to resolve all symptoms and risks.

Acquired degenerative spondylotic stenosis is quite rare in teenagers.

If his problem were isolated low-risk congenital stenosis, none of this drama would be going on. If his problem is high-risk congenital stenosis (e.g., with multiple quadriparetic events), the guy holding him out is unlikely to change his mind later (though he might get a second opinion from a less risk-averse physician). If his problem is largely related to a disc injury, it may get better with time, allowing return to play. If it does not, he may have a good result with disc material removal and fusion of the bones on either side of it to each other, again potentially allowing return to play.

The information dribbling out leaves something to be desired, but it currently sounds like some disc is involved. The timeline for giving non-operative care a chance will apparently run long enough that any surgery is likely to keep him off the field for 2019. Unless an official release offers more specificity, we will be left to do a lot of guessing. Every time "disc" gets mentioned, though, it is a positive sign, because that is a problem which can often be fixed and careers resumed.

In your opinion, if he were a pro would they have already done the ACDF?