Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How are they timing this lmao or are there just gale force winds behind him?

4.2 mph wind. 2.4 mph is considered wind-aided.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't follow track recruiting, but I assume Boling has a Texas offer? 

He’s running track at Georgia.

IT

Dallas Skyline product Kylan Johnson was a member of the 2015 recruiting class who was a late offer/take for the Florida Gators. It was a bit of a surprise at the time, but Johnson did offer some intrigue as a quarterback who projected to safety or more likely linebacker. (The Gators have had more success with surprise offer/take Donovan Stiner from Houston)

Johnson has been a spot player for the Gators, starting two games as a redshirt junior (Charleston Southern and Colorado State) and finishing as the 14th leading tackler with seven solos and 20 assists.

If Texas is looking for a savior who is good enough to start and keep the defense in base nickel, it's likely not him. If they're looking to stoke competition and secure a depth player who was good enough in that role for a good Gators defense, then he's someone to consider.

With the Ra'Shaad Samples connection to Skyline this one bears watching but I doubt Johnson would be someone they push for if there wasn't that pre-existing relationship.

My stance on graduate transfers remains the same: if there's room on the roster they're found money. He'll likely be a Horn if admitted to graduate school.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Dallas Skyline product Kylan Johnson was a member of the 2015 recruiting class who was a late offer/take for the Florida Gators. It was a bit of a surprise at the time, but Johnson did offer some intrigue as a quarterback who projected to safety or more likely linebacker. (The Gators have had more success with surprise offer/take Donovan Stiner from Houston)

Johnson has been a spot player for the Gators, starting two games as a redshirt junior (Charleston Southern and Colorado State) and finishing as the 14th leading tackler with seven solos and 20 assists.

If Texas is looking for a savior who is good enough to start and keep the defense in base nickel, it's likely not him. If they're looking to stoke competition and secure a depth player who was good enough in that role for a good Gators defense, then he's someone to consider.

With the Ra'Shaad Samples connection to Skyline this one bears watching but I doubt Johnson would be someone they push for if there wasn't that pre-existing relationship.

My stance on graduate transfers remains the same: if there's room on the roster they're found money. He'll likely be a Horn if admitted to graduate school.

This is an interesting take and one we all were probably thinking. I'm just surprised that Kylan Johnson is willing to come to be depth - no complaints as LB depth is needed.

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This is an interesting take and one we all were probably thinking. I'm just surprised that Kylan Johnson is willing to come to be depth - no complaints as LB depth is needed.

Some players want to move down a level to play, because they think they can make the NFL or because they want to finally start (typically after riding the bench for 4 years).  Others know they’ll never play professionally so they look to put themselves in a position to succeed after college.  A player from the state Texas with a graduate degree from UT is far more valuable than most other options available to them.

I would think the more logical inference would be that 1) there is a narrow canal, 2) there is a herniated disk, and 3) until the herniated disk is taken care of, we won't know whether or not it was the cause of the narrow canal.  In other words, it currently looks like stenosis, but that may just be because of the herniated disk.
It's also possible that they're feeding us bullshit, it's actually incurable stenosis, and we're just waiting out the string until he's told for sure he's 100% done.
Translation, he's transferring to swamp tigah, becoming an all-american 1st rounder linebacker. Of course, Google translate has been known to be wonky..

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Of course, Google translate has been known to be wonky..

Curiously enough, when you translate this sentence from English to Irish Gaelic to Burmese and then back to English it comes back as:

Of course, Google is known is very similar to the transfer request.

• Like 2

TFB on the grad transfer LB

Linebacker Grad Transfer | Update
By: Super K

As you know by now, Florida linebacker graduate transfer and TX native, Kylan Johnson (Skyline) visited Texas this past weekend.

I noted over the weekend that he is indeed a take for the Longhorns.

I am told that the visit went well and that the staff expects Johnson to end up at Texas pending an academic issue. Since Johnson has graduated this issue has more to do with ensuring his entry into the Masters program and Texas.

However, the person I spoke with did not foresee this being anything that would prevent Johnson from coming to Texas, rather just something that will take brief period of time to handle.

Linebacker is a position of need for Texas and the immediate help would be welcomed.

But this also points to what I mentioned in my recent linebacker 2020 recruiting breakdown, namely that more offers probably need to go out this spring.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Is this right, he’s able to reclassify?

I don't think he's reclassifying but he is eligible this fall. Also, he's Jacoby Jones's teammate. Here's a writeup from Suchomel. Sounds like we might hvae lucked our way into another LB. 

Spoiler

In case you missed it in the FB recruiting thread, JUCO LB Juwan Mitchell is planning to take an official visit to Texas this weekend. UT offered him last week.

Mitchell, out of Butler Community College, is still technically committed to Minnesota, but he told me he called the Gophers coaches this morning and pretty much told them it's not going to work out. Because he was a full qualifier out of high school, he's eligible to enroll at a D-I school in June, and he wants to go somewhere that will give him a chance to play next fall. Minnesota has two senior linebackers for next year, which wasn't a big deal when he was going to enroll in January, but now that he's moved the process up he's looking for a place with a more open depth chart in 2019.

Mitchell visited Arkansas last weekend. He'll hit Texas this weekend and might take one more visit after the UT visit before coming to a quick decision. Texas did sign his teammate, Jacoby Jones, in the 2019 class and he said he's been in touch with Jones every single day since UT offered.

Mitchell said he is being recruited by Texas to play the WILL and MIKE positions. He'll have four years to play three seasons of Division I ball. Of note ... he's definitely done his homework on UT's linebacker depth chart and LB situation overall, which tells me his interest is legit.

• Like 3

That's great news on the Juco LB, lets get him on campus!  I love this staff's relentless pursuit of talent.  I know this is an old topic, but the MB regime would never have been mining for immediate talent like this.  I don't want to rehash old bs, I just appreciate Herman and co. for working every angle to make this roster the best it can be.

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

That's great news on the Juco LB, lets get him on campus!  I love this staff's relentless pursuit of talent.  I know this is an old topic, but the MB regime would never have been mining for immediate talent like this.  I don't want to rehash old bs, I just appreciate Herman and co. for working every angle to make this roster the best it can be.

Assuming we take this guy and Gbenda arrives next month, we have talent and numbers at the LB spot, it's just all inexperienced.  

Anyone watch this guy’s hudl? He seems like a Mac all the way. I doubt he’ll be able to play Rover.

He hits hard and seems to read plays fairly well, but he looks pretty dang slow. There’s a number of plays where he’s pursuing laterally and doesn’t seem to be moving very fast. 

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Assuming we take this guy and Gbenda arrives next month, we have talent and numbers at the LB spot, it's just all inexperienced.  

Yeah true.  With Shark and Roach on the field (next to and in front of) and with our bad ass experience secondary, hopefully it makes up for inexperienced LB play.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Anyone watch this guy’s hudl? He seems like a Mac all the way. I doubt he’ll be able to play Rover.

He hits hard and seems to read plays fairly well, but he looks pretty dang slow. There’s a number of plays where he’s pursuing laterally and doesn’t seem to be moving very fast. 

We can make him and Adeoye race for the spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We can make him and Adeoye race for the spot.

Add in Slo’Neal and it’ll look like this.

sprintTimer_bs1_thumb.jpg

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Adeoye doesn't start/play much this year he's hitting the transfer portal IMO.

Probably. He and Williams seem like similar players. A lot the playing time this year will likely come down to which one of those two plus Johnson can grasp the Orlando’s system the quickest. 

15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If Adeoye can't crack THIS depth chart, then this would probably be the best thing for all parties.  Hoping that isn't the case, however.

If you set your expectations at zero for Adeoye, you cannot possibly be disappointed. This has been my approach. I developed and honed this approach by using it with most posters on the Shaggy and Surly and it has worked out really well. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Add in Slo’Neal and it’ll look like this.

sprintTimer_bs1_thumb.jpg

Probably. He and Williams seem like similar players. A lot the playing time this year will likely come down to which one of those two plus Johnson can grasp the Orlando’s system the quickest. 

The staff got handed a shit sandwich by the previous regime in terms of LB depth, then compounded the issue by making Adeoye the only true ILB take and not pushing for DaShaun White early enough, or taking another JUCO between Gary and Caleb Johnson. They did much, much better in 2019 (even factoring in the tragic situation with Floyd), but there's a giant experience gap. Given all this, throwing numbers at the problem is the best course of action at this point.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:48 AM, Burt Macklin said:

pm Daddy98

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nope said:

Wow. Jalon Jones sounds like a peach. Seems like a situation where the NCAA might grant a waiver too - especially if the Steele family lawyers up.

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

The article did say he wasn’t killing it in practice. Not saying he wouldn’t be a valuable transfer or anything though.

"The guy who is leaving because we forced him to room with Rapey McRapist isn't a big loss anyway and you know what maybe this shouldn't be a very big story let's just keep it nice and quiet."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1