Texas recruiting notes 2019

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

In your opinion, if he were a pro would they have already done the ACDF?

Short answer yes.

Slightly longer answer: I think as a pro he would have more awareness of what to tell his training staff, they would get him scanned/diagnosed and in treatment sooner, and surgery would be done as soon as a reasonable trial of nonop care failed. Assuming this is a disc causing radiculopathy. That is a lot of assumption and guesswork.

43 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Short answer yes.

Slightly longer answer: I think as a pro he would have more awareness of what to tell his training staff, they would get him scanned/diagnosed and in treatment sooner, and surgery would be done as soon as a reasonable trial of nonop care failed. Assuming this is a disc causing radiculopathy. That is a lot of assumption and guesswork.

Follow up, if you've got a second: what would having an ACDF likely mean for his career? I know  the odds of him needing another fusion at some point would be good, but I'd imagine the time-frame on that possibility could be all over the place. I also know there would definitely be a chance he'd be done, but not much about the kind of odds he'd be facing. Assuming he could come back, do you have any idea about that kind of timeline?

Edited by campcrunk

Chance of return very subjective. There is a school of thought that one should talk guys out of returning to football (as opposed for example to basketball) because they are likely to do again whatever led to the injury in the first place. From a functional standpoint, though, his prognosis would be good.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Follow up, if you've got a second: what would having an ACDF likely mean for his career? I know  the odds of him needing another fusion at some point would be good, but I'd imagine the time-frame on that possibility could be all over the place. I also know there would definitely be a chance he'd be done, but not much about the kind of odds he'd be facing. Assuming he could come back, do you have any idea about that kind of timeline?

Our friend Magus appears to know quite a bit about it. I also found a review article with some more info here. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4733383/

TFB had a non-update update on Bru: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-19th-21st/

This is a bit of a non update. We are staying on top of the Bru McCoy eligibility situation.

I reached out to a family member to see where things currently are. As you may know, the McCoy family retained an attorney (a darn good one) to handle the immediate eligibility request.

Family member said that they are currently not able to comment on the NCAA matter. They’ve been asked to stay mum on the matter until it’s resolved.

So, it would appear that as of now nothing is final.

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

JMBLYA or no?

Roach says he's visiting this weekend. Gotta strike while the pan is hot. 

I'd take Johnson. Florida spun him down from safety to linebacker so he should be able to move well. Texas at a minimum needs experienced depth at the position, and it doesn't hurt that Johnson has spent 4 years in a decent to good S&C/nutrition program. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

From TFB:

Can confirm that Florida LB grad transfer and TX native, Kylan Johnson (Skyline) is on campus for a visit.

Am told that the Horns have a spot for him and would like him in the boat.

Also, told the staff is confident they can land him.

More on this as we get it…

Roach says he's visiting this weekend. Gotta strike while the pan is hot. 
I'd take Johnson. Florida spun him down from safety to linebacker so he should be able to move well. Texas at a minimum needs experienced depth at the position, and it doesn't hurt that Johnson has spent 4 years in a decent to good S&C/nutrition program. 

Overshown, are you paying attention? Get on the field at Rover or play second team at safety. Your call.
  • Like 1