Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, billy_bats said:

ASU is a dumpster fire right now. The alumni out here would love nothing better than for Herm to fuck off. They weren't excited about him when he was hired and I don't think their 7-5 season has anyone feeling optimistic about the future.

Man, it's probably a really good thing that recruits don't meat with all the ASU boosters when visiting, and that a cali kid isn't likely tuning into AZ sports radio, huh?

"hey, talented athlete! Don't commit to our school because it's a dumpster fire!" they'd say to Adimora, no doubt. Did you even take 3 seconds to think through your take before you posted? 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I only follow this casually, which is to say I stop by and read this thread every and then...but I even noticed that everytime I give a cursory glance at the 247 rankings our highly ranked recruits seem to have dropped.

How did Jake Smith become a finalist for National Gatorade Player of the Year and drop 6 spots?

4 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I only follow this casually, which is to say I stop by and read this thread every and then...but I even noticed that everytime I give a cursory glance at the 247 rankings our highly ranked recruits seem to have dropped.

How did Jake Smith become a finalist for National Gatorade Player of the Year and drop 6 spots?

Go check out @golfclap's work on page 601 and make an informed decision about what's up with 247's rankings this year.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Go check out @golfclap's work on page 601 and make an informed decision about what's up with 247's rankings this year.

and once you're done, do yourself a favor and don't give a single flying fuck about those rankings

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man, it's probably a really good thing that recruits don't meat with all the ASU boosters when visiting, and that a cali kid isn't likely tuning into AZ sports radio, huh?

"hey, talented athlete! Don't commit to our school because it's a dumpster fire!" they'd say to Adimora, no doubt. Did you even take 3 seconds to think through your take before you posted? 

You’re confused, this is what your mom does on her OV’s.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What I'm saying is that everyone, including your fucking mother, knows that ASU is on the decline and Herm, with little to no support from anyone other than the AD who hired him, won't last long. It's not like the guy has a history of being a winning coach or anything.

You know, if logic deduction is tough for you, maybe try reading something other than comic books.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billy_bats said:

What I'm saying is that everyone, including your fucking mother, knows that ASU is on the decline and Herm, with little to no support from anyone other than the AD who hired him, won't last long. It's not like the guy has a history of being a winning coach or anything.

You know, if logic deduction is tough for you, maybe try reading something other than comic books.

Logic is great,  Numbnuts. Espescially for adults with life experience and multiple perspectives with which to evaluate options. But yeah, shit is always cut and dry to 17 year old kids. 

Per your stupid viewpoint, bru mccoy is a slam dunk to Texas, Leal is flipping before NSD, we are getting Sanders, and Drew Mehringer is an ace recruiter and oscar giles knows how to text. Fucking stupid. You simplistic fucking assclown. The shit you are referencing as reasons to choose Texas are not always things that resonate with kids. Go back to the fucking football board dipshit. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Logic is great,  Numbnuts. Espescially for adults with life experience and multiple perspectives with which to evaluate options. But yeah, shit is always cut and dry to 17 year old kids. 

Per your stupid viewpoint, bru mccoy is a slam dunk to Texas, Leal is flipping before NSD, we are getting Sanders, and Drew Mehringer is an ace recruiter and oscar giles knows how to text. Fucking stupid. You simplistic fucking assclown. The shit you are referencing as reasons to choose Texas are not always things that resonate with kids. Go back to the fucking football board dipshit. 

latest?cb=20140604010515

Whew, must have touched a nerve or something. Settle down Sydney.

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So question for those who follow Texas HS football.  Our QB commit, Chase Griffin, was just named Texas Gatorade HS football POY.  But he remains only the 162nd rated Texas HS player, and out of the top 1000 nationally.  What are his shortcomings?  Honestly don't know too much about him, but his tape looks really good.

He has been going to Whitfield since he was 11. He has to be one of the most technically sound QBs to come out of hs in years. Studies the game, smart, moderately athletic, and SHORT. You can guess which things these farcical recruiting "analysts" pay attention to.

If we know one thing about the entire football industry, from top to bottom, it knows dick all about identifying and developing quarterbacks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe they'll stop telling it to recruits when they get one fucking kid that fits that mold to actually fucking commit to the program? I'm not sure if you noticed, but Jake Smith, Marcus Washington and Jordan Whittington don't exactly fit the fucking mold of a 6'4"-6'6" WR bruiser of a WR. 

What, do you fucking think Braydon Liebrock is going to get pissed off and decommit because of our pitch to players at positions he doesn't play?

This isnt rocket science. If you dont have a dynamic player at their position you sell the “we dont have anyone like you” angle. If you have a stud there already they say “you can be the next (insert name). Look at how we use him in our offense!” Shitty teams sell depth charts, good teams sell championships. Tada! I just became a better recruiter than Giles. Maybe we could make a mad libs or bingo card to help him out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

lol he’a just bigger than everyone on the court. I saw nothing special in this video except a big kid using his size lol. He had the one semi explosive athletic play where he got a rebound and immediately was able to go back up for a struggling one handed jam. I’m not saying this kid can’t or isn’t special, but this video didn’t highlight it. I would have liked to see him make some moves in the post to truly gauge his footwork.  Don’t @ me

18 minutes ago, Beigebandit said:

lol he’a just bigger than everyone on the court. I saw nothing special in this video except a big kid using his size lol. He had the one semi explosive athletic play where he got a rebound and immediately was able to go back up for a struggling one handed jam. I’m not saying this kid can’t or isn’t special, but this video didn’t highlight it. I would have liked to see him make some moves in the post to truly gauge his footwork.  Don’t @ me

haterade1.png?w=640

11 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah ej is kinda down playing the hire of KK. The family loves Helton; he hired bru a proven offensive mind and that’s all they needed. But the sanders news does sound promising, especially Beck going to visit and Herman later. Sounds like they are in with equal interest from both party’s. 

That he gives us as much as a 5% chance for Wilson is indicative of him talking straight out of his ass.  That's the same as saying there's a 5% chance Sam will transfer out to another school for his junior year.

unless he's saying there's a chance tOSU will shut down their football program in the next week and force guys to go elsewhere, GW is long gone and typing a spot about him is a wast of bandwidth. 

To be fair he may just sound he like wants to die because he's being interviewed by one of the turns out many "journalists" in this field that are worse than EJ. His there are so many is beyond me of course.

Try to imagine how fucking annoying these nerds are to seniors in high school. Think back to December of your senior year in HS. What were you interested in? For me it was finding ways to buy beer and fuck.

When I was being recruited the letter alone were overwhelming. I can’t imagine letters + DMs + other digital touches + fucking recruiting”gurus”.

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man. That would be extremely odd if you take into account Powell likely knows jack shit about Matt Wells or has any clue what the coaching staff at Tech will look like in a few weeks. 

Actually, all but 2 coaching positions have been named and have been working the recruiting trail this week.  The two vacancies are on the special teams/defensive side of the ball.

Powell's friend and teammate, Landon Peterson, a former Baylor commitment, is believed to have committed to the new TT staff this week. They had both taken several recruiting trips to TT together.  Perhaps that might have had some impact on Powell's change of heart if, in fact, he's even had one.

i personally will believe it when I see it.

Tfloss overnight on Jones and Adimora

Spoiler

OrangeBloods saying OL Dawand Jones has only two official visits remaining since he took one to USC in November, and two others to Ball State and Kent State for basketball.

He is in no rush to make a decision on his remaining officials or commitment.

/

S Chris Adimora has cancelled his official to Arizona State this weekend, per Orangebloods.

Even though he's locked into UT, he mentioned he felt disloyal taking the trip.

• Like 1

IT:

Spoiler

Some Recruiting Ruminations and Reiterations - Eric Nahlin

t's been a fun week of recruiting. Here's something to read while we get back to work on the Humidor.

TEMPLATE OF DOOM

The current defensive line haul is a spitting image of what I've been writing the staff is looking for if elite high school talents are off the board. The short version is: the staff wants athletic, yet "undersized" players it can develop into prototypes. If Texas can't get a 6-foot-5, 275 pound unicorn, it will show patience and take a smaller version with the ability to add the necessary weight while maintaining athleticism.

This staff didn't sign Charles Omenihu, but it clearly would have. The Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year is pretty much the personification of the approach.

This approach requires patience and hitting on mental evaluation as much as physical ones. You don't want to waste time on a guy who falls off the assembly line midway through production.

Peter Mpagi: He's the closest to Charles, though he's a little smaller but more explosive. He's going to have better movement skills but will have to really dedicate himself in the weight room to hold up versus the run. An early enrollee, he's going to make the greatest physical gains of his life over the next handful of months. Mpagi has a sensational mental eval.

T'Vondre Sweat: Great evaluation of Sweat's upside by the staff early on. He isn't explosive, but he's mobile and moves well laterally. He's really big. I don't know what his current weight is, but I'd guess he's carrying close to 280 pounds with still plenty of room left to go. I've stood next to bigger people who didn't make me feel as small. Whoever originally came up with the Kheeston Randall comp is in the right neighborhood and also underlines the development vs finished product nature of the staff's approach. Randall was about 270-280 when he finished high school but ended up playing around 320. The staff won't want Sweat to get that big, but that's fine, because he'll be comfortable at 300-305 pounds. I like his motor and play strength.

Myron Warren: Warren is between Sweat and Mpagi as a player. Not as big and filled out as Sweat, but bigger than Mpagi. Not as quick as Mpagi, but quicker than Sweat. The recent picture of him and Oscar Giles makes me question whether or not he's really 6-foot-4. Giles is probably a shade under 6-foot-2. Either way, Warren will play comfortably at 280 pounds and that's a big deal. You don't want guys starting the season at 280 and dropping to 265 over the course of the schedule. With a little more twitch Warren would be a top 100 type.

Jacoby Jones: One way to cheat the developmental curve is to take JUCOS or grad transfers. If you have a player taking up four years of eligibility but only seeing extensive playing time in two seasons, it's a little inefficient. Jones will immediately join a pretty deep roster of defensive ends and B-backers.

While this preference for patient development will yield quality results over time, everyone including the staff wants to see it in action with the bevy of 2020 defensive linemen who are certified studs, even if they're currently poorly rated.

RUNNING BACK ROULETTE 

It's a good thing Derrian Brown is in the boat, but that's not enough, especially when looking at next year's roster.

The staff currently has two priority targets in Noah Cain and Trey Sanders. Long ago I mentioned we'd be able to measure the staff's confidence on Cain by who they offered late in the cycle. Thus far, they've only offered JUCO Rhamondre Stevenson, a player who will sign on NSD2. That's a fortuitous break, as is Deondrick Glass waiting to decide as well.

I get it, the board is entirely wrapped up in the staff landing one of Cain/Sanders, I'm pretty much there myself, but Glass is a high floor player with a better ceiling than people realize. He gets a lot of tough yards. Poor man's David Montgomery isn't bad, plus he'd be ready to play early.

As you can see, the staff still feels relatively good on Cain, but he's no slam dunk. I just can't fathom Sanders picking Texas, but if he did it would be much bigger than Texas just landing a star running back.

The staff's plan here is clear, and a good one: work on the primaries up until they sign, then focus on some solid replacements if necessary.

There's still DJ Williams who I would take right now if it meant losing out on every other back but it's going to be tough to just get him to visit.

Georgia is the big domino. They might out-recruit Alabama for Sanders, or push hard for Williams, or swoop in late for Cain.

WR RECRUITING IN 2019 WAS OUT OF STEP

But Texas should be just fine at the position.

It started with a late offer to Garrett Wilson. Yes, November of your junior year is late when you're a potential five-star at a local school.

Along with missing on Wilson, the staff will likely miss out on Elijah Higgins, also of Austin. I'm not above UT being the default option for a prospect if it doesn't work out with his primary, and that's what it would take with Higgins and Stanford. I believe he's still waiting on gaining admittance to Stanford. We saw this play out late with Obi Eboh. For UT's sake, hopefully it works in the opposite direction this time.

Texas wasn't going to land Theo Wease, no foul there, and they were wise to pull back on Arjei Henderson.

Not prioritizing Trejan Bridges might not work out too well. I get why they didn't press, I just don't think it was reason enough.

The odd run of offers in the summer, and taking Demariyon Houston was what I really didn't get. If you're going to preach championship caliber players, only offer those types. Kennedy Lewis was another odd flirtation. Peyton Powell might be in that boat as well, but he has defensive upside, at least in theory.

I love the current commits.

The staff very wisely switched Jordan Whittington's offer from safety to wide receiver in plenty of time for that to not hurt. He's been recruited to play slot but we may see him at Z with his ability to get deep and come down with contested passes. He's quicker than fast, but that's in part to him being really, really quick. Great body control and strength. Early enrollee. It'll be fun to watch his career arc.

Jake Smith is the piece this offense is missing to really constrain defenses. Maybe he'll help do away with grab bag trick plays and poorly executed jet sweeps. He'll also return punts early in his career if I had to guess.

Marcus Washington at X was a major need. He may not have tested well over the summer but there's no evidence of his pedestrian numbers on tape. He won't be Collin, but they'll also run him on different routes and I anticipate him being more dangerous than CJ on the ground.

If UT only finishes with three players, at least it's a complementary group. Of course, Bru McCoy still looms. The most recent person I talked to about him thinks it will be USC in the end, but this source is a bit of a doomsdayer.

OFFENSIVE LINE RECRUITING

The plan here is similar to defensive line recruiting. In lieu of bona fide studs, find guys with untapped physical growth potential who profile culturally to your program.

Eric how do you reconcile that with Javonne Shepherd???

Good question. His physical upside is just too great to discount, plus the staff is pot committed at this point. Shepherd's latest push to reconfigure his body is encouraging, and his recruitment hasn't been as quite off the rails as I anticipated. Some close to Shepherd are excited about him spending the next few years with Tyler Johnson as a positive influence. If Shepherd commits to himself he's a millionaire.

Speaking of Tyler, his senior film was about as good as anything the state had to offer this cycle. A credible argument could be made for him being the state's top player. If only all recruitments of upside studs were this easy.

Hookfin fits the Template of Doom: A late-bloomer with obvious athletic upside and plenty of room left for Yancy McKnight to add functional weight. Texas continues to be positioned well here. I'll whisper some previous sentiments I've had that he may be a center long-term.

And of course, like with Jacoby Jones, the short cut, or the roller coaster rail card ride through the mountain if you will, with the staff's ToD approach is to add JUCOs or grad transfers.

Tom Herman getting Myron Cunningham to take his official visit just a few days before NSD1 is a huge win and potential game-changer. I knew when he went to see Cunningham in person it would mean a lot to the JUCO OT. We saw what happened when former OU commit Jones visited Austin, though a big difference is Jones plays defense and Cunningham plays offense.

With Cunningham currently leaning towards OU, Jay Williams has emerged as an offer-and-sign candidate. He'll visit this weekend. The catch here is the staff will have to balance offering him with waiting on Cunningham. Wait too long and Williams may end up at Free Shoes.

Other IT Comments:

Spoiler

Hookfin Q: Can you elaborate on what makes you think that? His body (tall, lean, long limbs) certainly doesn't fit the stereotype of a center; there are presently only two NFL centers who are taller than he is.

But I'm sure you have your reasons for saying that, so I'm curious to hear. Thanks.

Nahlin: There are only two NFL centers taller than 6-4, or do you think he’s taller? Creed Humphrey is 6-5. I saw Matt Anderson play it at 6-6 at Texas. 

Ability to anchor inside would be a question but centers often have help.

I think he’s smart enough, quick enough off the ball, agile enough, and he likely won’t be the best tackle option for quite some time, if ever.

/

Q: Is D'shawn Jamison getting a run at NB dead? Or is that a possibility if we end up missing on Catalon?

Any update on Georgia with Cain?

Still in good standing with the elite DL in the 2020 class (Broughton, Collins, etc)?

EN: Jamison is returning to defense. They need to put him at corner.

I don’t know who UGA is going to prioritize. If they go all in on Cain it could be real trouble.

Yep, looking good there.

/

Q: 2 backs for 3 schools - UT, UGA and bama. Buckle up

EN: Cain, Williams, and Sanders.

Cheer for Georgia/Bama to split Williams and Sanders.

Really need UGA to prioritize Williams.

I guess the #GunnellEffect is a bit overrated now that he is a composite 3* (#302 nationally, #35 in Texas, #8 Pro Style)

• Like 1