Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

As the five star rankings were released yesterday and the Top247 will be released later today, I thought I might as well chime in on them. While some feel like I have a heavy hand in the rankings, I actually don't. To quote from the play Hamilton, I'm not "in the room where it happens" and that's by my choice. I stepped down from that role in recruiting long ago. However, I still have opinions on recruits. So here are my thoughts:

1. My no. 1 player in the country would have been John Emery. The Destrehan, La., running back is headed to LSU.Here's his film: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AxXuK It's suggested viewing because I absolutely think he's going to be a factor in September, when Texas takes on the Tigers, so long as he's healthy.

2. My no. 2 player in the country would have been Brandon Bragg from Crandall, Texas. Therefore, Bragg would also be my no. 1 player in the state of Texas. Bragg committed to Stanford. I think he's just as special as Emery. Bragg threw the discus 190-feet this past spring and he is a special type of mauler IMO. With all the talk about Kenyon Green and Tyler Johnson, offensive linemen who are both ranked ahead of him in the Composite, Bragg didn't get the ranking he deserved IMO. He was injured in his team's final playoff game so he didn't get to participate in the all-star games. Here's his senior film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FTuSPv8f8

3. Bru McCoy ended up the nation's no. 1 ranked receiver. But he wouldn't have been ranked no. 1 if I were doing the rankings. Instead, it would be Joe Ngata, a Californian who is headed to Clemson. I think he is Julio Jones-type of freaky and a better prospect than the very good duo that are headed to Oklahoma.

4. The no. 1 QB would have been Jayden Daniels who is headed to Arizona State over Spencer Rattler who signed with Oklahoma. Rattler is the most talented of any QB IMO, but I once rated Peyton Manning over Josh Booty because of Manning's approach to the game. That's where I'm at with Daniels. It doesn't detract from Rattler because I think he's a terrific thrower and athlete - I expect Rattler to give Texas all it can handle in the years to come. I just like Daniels that much.

5. I like Jordan Whittington the most of any recruit that signed with Texas. I think he would be my third-rated recruit in the state behind Bragg and Kenyon Green, who is headed to A&M. I think Whittington is a better player than receivers Garrett Wilson and Theo Wease. And frankly, if Whittington were to focus on defense, he'd be a better corner prospect than Jeff Carter. I think recruiting analysts too often get caught up looking for the next prototype and that players have to match that prototype to get a certain ranking. In other words, they want the 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver who runs 4.4. But that's not necessarily the best player. That's how I feel about Whittington.

6. As for the Aggies who are allegedly up in arms over the rating of Tyler Owens, I don't get it. He's an athletic freak of nature. But I would also caution that Owens still isn't the player that is of the same ranking in value. The rankers are betting more on what he will be than what he is. The Aggies should also know that I think the top back in the state is Isaiah Spiller and that I'm not quite as high on Baylor Cupp as the rankings suggest.

7. My favorite player in this Texas class so far not named Whittington is Myron Warren. He's violent, he's quick and he's naturally strong. I know he's not the perfect size or whatever, but guys like him are just football players. They play through contact, they have a desire and innate ability that just can't be taught IMO. If he takes to the Texas weight program like I think he will and takes full advantage of the next three or four years of training, he could be really special.

The rest of the Top247 will be released today, so I'll have some more comments after that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Hide contents

As the five star rankings were released yesterday and the Top247 will be released later today, I thought I might as well chime in on them. While some feel like I have a heavy hand in the rankings, I actually don't. To quote from the play Hamilton, I'm not "in the room where it happens" and that's by my choice. I stepped down from that role in recruiting long ago. However, I still have opinions on recruits. So here are my thoughts:

1. My no. 1 player in the country would have been John Emery. The Destrehan, La., running back is headed to LSU.Here's his film: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AxXuK It's suggested viewing because I absolutely think he's going to be a factor in September, when Texas takes on the Tigers, so long as he's healthy.

2. My no. 2 player in the country would have been Brandon Bragg from Crandall, Texas. Therefore, Bragg would also be my no. 1 player in the state of Texas. Bragg committed to Stanford. I think he's just as special as Emery. Bragg threw the discus 190-feet this past spring and he is a special type of mauler IMO. With all the talk about Kenyon Green and Tyler Johnson, offensive linemen who are both ranked ahead of him in the Composite, Bragg didn't get the ranking he deserved IMO. He was injured in his team's final playoff game so he didn't get to participate in the all-star games. Here's his senior film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FTuSPv8f8

3. Bru McCoy ended up the nation's no. 1 ranked receiver. But he wouldn't have been ranked no. 1 if I were doing the rankings. Instead, it would be Joe Ngata, a Californian who is headed to Clemson. I think he is Julio Jones-type of freaky and a better prospect than the very good duo that are headed to Oklahoma.

4. The no. 1 QB would have been Jayden Daniels who is headed to Arizona State over Spencer Rattler who signed with Oklahoma. Rattler is the most talented of any QB IMO, but I once rated Peyton Manning over Josh Booty because of Manning's approach to the game. That's where I'm at with Daniels. It doesn't detract from Rattler because I think he's a terrific thrower and athlete - I expect Rattler to give Texas all it can handle in the years to come. I just like Daniels that much.

5. I like Jordan Whittington the most of any recruit that signed with Texas. I think he would be my third-rated recruit in the state behind Bragg and Kenyon Green, who is headed to A&M. I think Whittington is a better player than receivers Garrett Wilson and Theo Wease. And frankly, if Whittington were to focus on defense, he'd be a better corner prospect than Jeff Carter. I think recruiting analysts too often get caught up looking for the next prototype and that players have to match that prototype to get a certain ranking. In other words, they want the 6-foot-4, 200-pound receiver who runs 4.4. But that's not necessarily the best player. That's how I feel about Whittington.

6. As for the Aggies who are allegedly up in arms over the rating of Tyler Owens, I don't get it. He's an athletic freak of nature. But I would also caution that Owens still isn't the player that is of the same ranking in value. The rankers are betting more on what he will be than what he is. The Aggies should also know that I think the top back in the state is Isaiah Spiller and that I'm not quite as high on Baylor Cupp as the rankings suggest.

7. My favorite player in this Texas class so far not named Whittington is Myron Warren. He's violent, he's quick and he's naturally strong. I know he's not the perfect size or whatever, but guys like him are just football players. They play through contact, they have a desire and innate ability that just can't be taught IMO. If he takes to the Texas weight program like I think he will and takes full advantage of the next three or four years of training, he could be really special.

The rest of the Top247 will be released today, so I'll have some more comments after that.

Bobby Burton misspelled the name of his #2 overall player lmao

• Like 1

(Mike Roach) Open Mike: Thoughts on every Texas signee in new Top247

—I’ll start with a thought on the rankings process overall. I don’t envy the national team that does the work on these. Guys pour countless hours into the process, and in the end, no one will be completely happy with the outcome. I’ve spent a good amount of time over my last two years in San Antonio for All-American Bowl week talking with the national team about the process of evaluating. It’s something I personally take a lot of interest in, and I’d like to know more since we are constantly in a spot of defending or explaining a ranking that I didn’t personally give.

—Rankings are largely subjective. There are many times that I don’t agree with the national team on guys, because we look at different things. They are also responsible for the entire country, so I must remind myself that they may not be as familiar with prospects in Texas that I’ve seen on double digit occasions by the time they sign. There are many times EJ and I disagree on certain prospects. It’s the nature of the rankings process. Overall, I think we are blessed to have Gabe Brooks as the regional reporter because he has a sharp eye for evaluations. With all of that said, let’s get to the actual rankings.

—Tyler Owens is the big news of the final ranking. His ascent through the rankings this year was meteoric. There is always an implied “Blue Chip Bump” conspiracy that goes on when a guy rises that far. I spent the majority of yesterday on twitter arguing about it with fans and pundits who aren’t full time in the recruiting industry. From an athletic standpoint, Owens was always a no brainer. Finding kids with his frame and athleticism is incredibly rare. His football skill came a long way as well. If you asked me about him in the summer, I’d have said he has a lot of work to do. Mid-fall, I’d have said he’s coming along faster than I expected. If you asked me now, I’d say he was a standout amongst the best in the nation in San Antonio. I’m not sure I would have personally ranked him a five-star, but I get why the national team did.

—Jordan Whittington made his rise from 134 nationally to 59. I know many were expecting five-star status, but he didn’t quite make it that far. His state title performance was phenomenal, and when you are talking Top 60 in the nation, you are talking about an elite class of players. If Whittington reaches his ceiling and goes on to be a high draft pick in the NFL, he will have been ranked in the appropriate area. I think the biggest thing against him in this process was that he lacked some sort of freaky ability (size, speed, etc.).

—De’Gabriel Floyd dropped from 63 to 72. This was more likely about him being stagnant as a mover and other guys going ahead of him. If I had to bet on one guy in this class, it would definitely be Floyd. His size and athleticism, to me, is uncommon. Couple that with his mind for the game, his desire and the motor he plays with and I believe he’s an easy eval. If he develops, he will be a devastating defensive weapon in the Big 12. If I had to lobby for one guy in this class to be a five-star, my pick would have been Floyd.

—Jake Smith was another big riser going from 155 to 77. As the Gatorade National Player of the Year, he cemented his case as an elite player. He would be the guy outside of Floyd that I would have lobbied for as a five-star. We are seeing more and more that players with his speed who can provide spacing are taking over at all levels of football. I would probably have ranked him close to Jaylen Waddle who finished No. 64 nationally last year. I think he can have the same type of impact.

—Tyler Johnson took a drop from 46 to 87, and he was probably hurt by the fact he didn’t compete at camps or all-star games. I know that usually sounds nefarious, but the big point of skipping those things is that you limit the amount of times evaluators can see you in person. I think Johnson is a very strong prospect, but I’ve said I don’t see him in that five-star territory. I think he’s a high four-star guy who doesn’t do anything exceptionally, but he does a lot of things very well. He also has a much higher floor than most prospects.

—Once Myron Warren’s film became public, it was a no-brainer to move him up in the rankings. The day his film appeared, I was at a state playoff game in the late rounds. Gabe Brooks was also there, and I put a laptop in front of him and asked him to look at Warren’s film in order to make a case for a higher ranking. It’s wild that he flew so far under the radar for so long. That’s a guy who usually ends up at TCU and makes everyone wonder why they didn’t recruit him. His suddenness, athletic ability and violent play style jump off the screen. He went from not ranked to 169 in the nation.

—Chris Adimora has been one of the guys in the class who doesn’t get much pub. He’s pretty quiet, and he’s not one for social media, but he put together a great season. He dropped a little bit (179 to 192), but he’s probably the least heralded Top 200 prospect I can remember. I love his versatility, athleticism and explosiveness. I also love that he chose to stay with his inner-city school rather than transfer to a Mater Dei or John Bosco.

—David Gbenda came in right behind Adimora at 193 (moving up from 237). That’s a pretty big jump for the Houston-area linebacker. He really popped during the spring camps, but his stock plateaued during the summer as his recruitment drug out. I know there were several at the Under Armour game who were surprised by how well he played during practices. Kudos to the staff for finding high-end talent at a position of extreme need.

—Brayden Liebrock dropped a bit, but like Floyd his movement was minimal. He was not mentioned much during Under Armour Bowl week, and he’s still got another side of his game to sharpen before we really know what he is. Despite that, Texas hasn’t had a receiving threat at tight end like this in quite some time.

—Isaiah Hookfin saw a small drop from 231 to 237. He’s another that really gets the conspiracy theorists going, but I would tell them to watch his film. In the end, that’s all that really matters. Had Hookfin not been hampered by injury earlier in his high school career, he would have likely been a known name for longer. He’s a projection, but the indicators of success are there in his frame, feet and movement ability.

—I could probably make arguments for a few guys who didn’t make the Top247 (Marcus Washington, Roschon Johnson, Derrian Brown), but Kenyatta Watson is the guy I’d absolutely die on a hill for. Not only do I think that he is a Top247 prospect, I think he’s likely a Top 100 guy. His testing times when put against his frame and film have all the makings of a lockdown cornerback prospect.

—Just a few thoughts on some other in-state guys. I think DeMarvin Leal is a special prospect, and I’m in full agreement that he’s Top 5 in the country. I already loved his game before I saw him in San Antonio, and he went to another level there. If you’re mad about Baylor Cupp’s rise, I’d say the same things about him that I did about Tyler Owens. Both are uncommon athletes living on more projection than anything, but the indicators are there for success. Kenyon Green landed right about where I expected him to. He’s just on the outside of the five-star group, and that’s kind of where I’ve always seen him. I don’t mean that as an insult, but there are some limitations to him that cap how high he can rise.

—Oklahoma’s three pack of in-state prospects (Theo Wease, Austin Stogner and Trejan Bridges) are one of the best trios from a talent standpoint I can remember heading north of the Red River. They also compliment each other very well. Wease gives you the big outside threat, Stogner can push defenses vertically down the middle, and Bridges is on another level when it comes to route running and body control.

Question:  where did this rumor come from. Yes some 9.95r said " something something something"

And then all the sudden the whole Texas football media establishment (Bomc) knew all about it. But. Howd they find out?  

Texas staff cant talk to Bru. But can Bru talk to staff?  

Was BOMC supposed to find out? Or were they informed?  And if so why?

Keep your dicks out of my coffee and lend some brain Power to these questions. 

The possibility this is just a big scam for Bru to get a big bag of cash is probably the most obvious reason. 

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Question:  where did this rumor come from. Yes some 9.95r said " something something something"

And then all the sudden the whole Texas football media establishment (Bomc) knew all about it. But. Howd they find out?  

Texas staff cant talk to Bru. But can Bru talk to staff?  

Was BOMC supposed to find out? Or were they informed?  And if so why?

Keep your dicks out of my coffee and lend some brain Power to these questions. 

The possibility this is just a big scam for Bru to get a big bag of cash is probably the most obvious reason. 

Given that flow of information from Bellmont has been reduced under Herman, the 9.95ers probably aren't finding this stuff out from inside the Texas program.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Is it that fucking hard to understand that a player can put their name in the transfer portal without consulting their school or enabling the school to respond? It's apparent a ton of you guys do not understand the basics of what is a pretty basic thing. 

This is not correct. The school the player is currently signed with is the one who puts their name in the portal, not the player. It is the schools compliance officer or "other authorized athletics administrator". They can no longer block his request, but they have to know and are the ones who actual put him in the portal.

They must put your name in the portal within 2 business days of the request.

My guess is he has requested to be added... USC is using the full 2 days to discuss

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is not correct. The school the player is currently signed with is the one who puts their name in the portal, not the player. It is the schools compliance officer or "other authorized athletics administrator". They can no longer block his request, but they have to know and are the ones who actual put him in the portal.

My guess is he has requested to be added... USC is using the full 2 days to discuss

If he had requested, you'd have heard about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

The big news:

A coup has occurred in North Houston.  Footwork King has been deposed.  He is now just a regular old Footwork Man.  The new Footwork King was the leader of the Tomball Junta, and his tribal colors are rumored to be burnt orange and white.

More to come.

Don't @ me.

I choose to believe this is 100% true.

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We were actually going to bypass the Transfer Portal and hire some coyotes to smuggle Bru into Austin hidden safely in the seat lining of a fruit truck, but Helton got wind of it after EJ’s tweet.  Now Bru is locked in his dorm room under armed guard and the coyotes are buried in the desert outside Vegas.  Don’t let all that blood on your hands drip into your Frappuccino, EJ!

Yes.  It’s just like DeAndre Jordan and the Clippers a few years back. 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

A) It's not a request, the school is obligated to put your name in if you decide so. Just not immediately

B) If Bru did in fact give notice it would have been published news

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Are there limits on contact with other coaches until he’s in the portal?

38 minutes ago, Richter said:

My favorite part of this thread in a while is when @closetojumping completely made me rethink my very high opinion of the $9.95ers and made me realize that they are  actually selfishly motivated.  Now I can just stop thinking I should be sending them $9.95 each month (instead of reading it here for free) and this problem will not occur in the future.  I’ve realized that I’m actually part of the problem, if not the entire problem.

You’re an enabler in a codependent relationship. 

IF it's Bru, and I have doubts galore, but if it is... and he's getting out of his NLI and enrollment via petition (ie. the Baylor guys) then I don't think there will be any transfer portal nonsense because he will in effect not be xfer'ing but enrolling at UT. Isn't that how it worked with Hudson, Duv, etc ... ?? was this discussed at length today and I missed it because you fucking dickholes were prolific AF? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

IF it's Bru, and I have doubts galore, but if it is... and he's getting out of his NLI and enrollment via petition (ie. the Baylor guys) then I don't think there will be any transfer portal nonsense because he will in effect not be xfer'ing but enrolling at UT. Isn't that how it worked with Hudson, Duv, etc ... ?? was this discussed at length today and I missed it because you fucking dickholes were prolific AF? 

That's the idea, yes.

So here is how this went down. Bru had a meeting with Helton scheduled for today to inform him of his intentions to transfer. This is what had the 995ers tripping over each other to blow their wad. Bru meets with Helton who gives him something to think about and says sleep on it and if you want to leave tomorrow then you are free to. So Bru out of respect of his coach accepts the proposal and now we are all in a limbo until tomorrow. This is pure conjecture but I will dip my dong in South Austins mom's butt if it is true.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

My guess is Bru had a meeting with Helton scheduled for today to inform him of his intentions to transfer. This is what the 995ers were waiting for as the official event to happen. Bru meets with Helton who gives him something to think about and says sleeping it and if want to leave tomorrow then you are free to. So Bru out of respect of his coach accepts the proposal and now we are all in a limbo until tomorrow. This is pure conjecture but I will dip my dong in South Austins mom's butt if it is true.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.  

Please take my money. 

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

One difference is that none of the Baylor bunch were early enrollees, they had yet to start classes when the shit with Briles went down. Only the NLI was binding them to Baylor, and Baylor quickly released them from it rather than get battered with more negative PR (except Devin)

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

The 9.95ers learned of the emergency BOD meeting and assumed it was about the AD and HC. That is the only scenario that could affect Bru.  The LA Times article on meeting seemed to say it had everything to do with the Chairman and nothing to do with Swann. 

This I could believe. They heard massive chaos at USC and figured it may be good for UT. Whether it meant future recruits from SoCal or Bru, they figured it'd be good for us.

If we get Bru and aggy flips Shepard we would pass them up for the number 3 class and have the same number of 5 stars and a higher class average, their boards would go nuclear. Not that any of this will happen though.

In what land of all that is awesome would this come to pass? You could fill the Nile with the farmer’s tears. I would like to bath in them. It’s not that much to ask.