If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

Some time last year I was really getting annoyed with Dan and Jake. It was either NFL, NBA, or audio that I couldn't care less about or nothing. Two topics or a lot of reactions to often unlistenable replays.

I don't know if it's over saturation or what but it's tiresome to get limited to those two leagues.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/baseball-first-take-debate-shows-nfl-nba-data.html

But putting that aside, the question is still valid—why do ESPN and FS1 largely just stick to 2-to-3 sports and ignore everything else? If the network pays hundreds of millions to air NHL, college basketball, MLB, tennis, golf, etc., why not spend some time talking about those sports as well?

The answer is pretty simple. The data shows viewers change the channel or stop watching at a higher rate when they talk about those sports.

I already have to get my hockey talk somewhere else. Norm told me that a long time ago. I have to get college football somewhere else too if I want more than 30 seconds in passing. 

It's either the NFL or the NBA and that's it. 

Kinda sucks 

13 hours ago, futureman said:

football, obviously, but I don’t get the basketball.  who gives a shit about the NBA?  it’s meaningless.

I could give two shits about the Mavericks. Mavs talk on The Ticket is an immediate punch-out for me. I'm only interested in today's NBA when my Spurs are good.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, Guest said:

By whom?

WGAF. 

Glad to know Corby and Bob think A&M should best Bama, but OU has a real good shot against Texas. The absolute two worst CFB personalities on The Ticket. 

On 10/8/2023 at 10:31 PM, Guest said:

image.thumb.png.1e27b2d2b34d4121c3ffe8858db7a0de.pngimage.thumb.png.1472e2db7b218f5b5f8ad6810eb29a7e.png

What happened to @Porterhouse?

On 10/9/2023 at 9:54 PM, cactusflinthead said:

Some time last year I was really getting annoyed with Dan and Jake. It was either NFL, NBA, or audio that I couldn't care less about or nothing. Two topics or a lot of reactions to often unlistenable replays.

I don't know if it's over saturation or what but it's tiresome to get limited to those two leagues.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/baseball-first-take-debate-shows-nfl-nba-data.html

But putting that aside, the question is still valid—why do ESPN and FS1 largely just stick to 2-to-3 sports and ignore everything else? If the network pays hundreds of millions to air NHL, college basketball, MLB, tennis, golf, etc., why not spend some time talking about those sports as well?

The answer is pretty simple. The data shows viewers change the channel or stop watching at a higher rate when they talk about those sports.

I already have to get my hockey talk somewhere else. Norm told me that a long time ago. I have to get college football somewhere else too if I want more than 30 seconds in passing. 

It's either the NFL or the NBA and that's it. 

Kinda sucks 

Yep. I’ve been a bit disappointed that the  Dumb Zone has hardly even mentioned college football when they used to at least do a segment or two a week on it. Then again, most of what they would say back then would annoy me anyway given the lack of depth or just reveling in Texas losses and that kind of thing.

I have several CFB podcasts that are very solid.

All the cowboys talk is just background noise for me that I mainly tune out.

Edited by LonghornSean

On 10/10/2023 at 12:20 AM, futureman said:

football, obviously, but I don’t get the basketball.  who gives a shit about the NBA?  it’s meaningless.

What does this even mean? How is the NBA any more or less meaningless than the NFL? It’s all meaningless really, but people enjoy watching the sports they enjoy. 

5 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Then again, most of what they would say back then would annoy me anyway given the lack of depth or just reveling in Texas losses and that kind of thing.

Jake grew up a huge UT fan so I’m pretty sure this never happened. 

No, Jake would talk about enjoying Texas losing now. I don't know if it was Herman that he hated or having to deal with whiny Texas fans online but he definitely laughed when he lost, parroting Dan somewhat. It's why I enjoy when the Mavs flame out since Luka is his VY. 

3 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

What does this even mean? How is the NBA any more or less meaningless than the NFL? It’s all meaningless really, but people enjoy watching the sports they enjoy. 

Jake grew up a huge UT fan so I’m pretty sure this never happened. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

No, Jake would talk about enjoying Texas losing now. I don't know if it was Herman that he hated or having to deal with whiny Texas fans online but he definitely laughed when he lost, parroting Dan somewhat. It's why I enjoy when the Mavs flame out since Luka is his VY. 

Yeah Jake admitted he doesn’t root for Texas anymore because fans were too whiny or critical of him being a t-shirt fan or something like that, despite growing up a UT fan. I clearly remember some point last year him commenting how it was funny to see us fail.

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Is that ugly, pretentious cokehead changing his name again?

So, he was Rex Kramer, then Dr Beeper and then Porterhouse, right? Where can I find the "New Members" list on this site? I swear I've seen it before. Not that he won't completely give himself away here, we need to be on the lookout for the next UserName from Caddyshack or ZuckerAbrams Universe because odds are that will be him. (Wasn't he also the guy who asked if he was the asshole for dipping on a commercial flight? I recall that discussion not exactly going the way he expected.)

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah Jake admitted he doesn’t root for Texas anymore because fans were too whiny or critical of him being a t-shirt fan or something like that, despite growing up a UT fan. I clearly remember some point last year him commenting how it was funny to see us fail.

He did say it was more ou hate than Longhorns love, but he's still a fan.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Today shows you what drives the ratings. Rangers do something the Cowboys can't do and there's two segments talking about the shitty game against the 49ers. 

Damn near every time I try to tune in it's a Cowboys segment.  Last week I tried to tune in thinking maybe previewing our game and it was a Bob segment breaking down last years 9ers game.  I flipped over 15 minutes later and it was still going.  Who the F cares.   I don't know who these Cowboys fans are that want Cowboys talk all the time (particularly knowing damn well it's another worthless season) but they suck.  Fully realize I'm preaching to the choir but drives me crazy that we have 3 winning franchises in town, tons of great CFB story lines, and all dwarfed by constant talk of Jerry's band of losers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Upon Further Review annoys me possibly the most since it cuts into having at least 2 CFB segments. Instead, we're breaking down the Cowboys win/loss yet again. It's just tiring, especially for such a consistently shitty franchise. Corby, I feel,  at least forces the HL to do CFB segments as you usually get at least 2 every Tuesday. 

On 10/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, C-Man said:

So, he was Rex Kramer, then Dr Beeper and then Porterhouse, right? Where can I find the "New Members" list on this site? I swear I've seen it before. Not that he won't completely give himself away here, we need to be on the lookout for the next UserName from Caddyshack or ZuckerAbrams Universe because odds are that will be him. (Wasn't he also the guy who asked if he was the asshole for dipping on a commercial flight? I recall that discussion not exactly going the way he expected.)

That was indeed Rex. Porterhouse got pissed when he was heavy negged by folks in the Israel Cloak room. His take was described in a way that didn't sound good at all, basically advocating genocide. I don't think he was advocating for that, but got pissed at folks when they took it that way.  The left-leaning Cloak room folks can be a pain to interact with, but these days they are almost always right on issues because the right has been acting like idiots for several years now so it's almost impossible to defend them, even when the left is wrong on a particular issue. As a result, it can be a painful place for right-leaning folks.

Edited by Dbeasy

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Upon Further Review annoys me possibly the most since it cuts into having at least 2 CFB segments. Instead, we're breaking down the Cowboys win/loss yet again. It's just tiring, especially for such a consistently shitty franchise. Corby, I feel,  at least forces the HL to do CFB segments as you usually get at least 2 every Tuesday. 

I don't want to listen to the CFB segments this week for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That was indeed Rex. Porterhouse got pissed when he was heavy negged by folks in the Isreal Cloak room. His take was described in a way that didn't sound good at all, basically advocating genocide. I don't think he was advocating for that, but got pissed at folks when they took it that way.  The left-leaning Cloak room folks can be a pain to interact with, but these days they are almost always right on issues because the right has been acting like idiots for several years now so it's almost impossible to defend them, even when the left is wrong on a particular issue. As a result, it can be a painful place for right-leaning folks.

memix-mc-conaughey-smoking1.jpg

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I don't want to listen to the CFB segments this week for some reason.

No kidding. I've avoided EVERYTHING college football this week. It helps we have a bye this Saturday so I can just pick back up next week after another round of games have happened and the debacle is behind us. 

On 10/11/2023 at 10:17 AM, C-Man said:

So, he was Rex Kramer, then Dr Beeper and then Porterhouse, right?

Yep

Where can I find the "New Members" list on this site? I swear I've seen it before. Not that he won't completely give himself away here, we need to be on the lookout for the next UserName from Caddyshack or ZuckerAbrams Universe because odds are that will be him.

Here and Oil Barons. Moth to a flame.

(Wasn't he also the guy who asked if he was the asshole for dipping on a commercial flight? I recall that discussion not exactly going the way he expected.)

Ding. I think that was a large contributing factor to the end of the Rex name. That and the pitbull incident. 

I'm going to be really surprised if he doesn't resurface. 

Given revenue decline post D&J (per court testimony) do we think they are tacking on extra commercial time?  When I left office during game 2 Monday, the Ticket was on when I turned on my car in a commercial break.  I flipped over and listened to 2 AB's of the game (both outs) then flipped back and still in commercial break that kept going.  By the time the HL finally came back on, I flipped back to check and the bottom of the inning had started.  So I don't know how long the commercial break had started before I got in my car, but even assuming it had just started, it seemed longer than normal.  Curious if any of the more frequent listeners have noticed anything.

4 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

There are certain breaks that are and have always been around 10 minutes long. Depends on which one you caught.

All breaks pre gordo segments are long.  I dont listen closely enough to the hardline anymore to know if they have specific long breaks but I'm sure they do. 

The more Junior and Jub whine about her, the more I turn into Gordo with wanting the NFL to show her more and the Chiefs going to the Super Bowl and doing a "YES, YES, IT'S ALL HAPPENING!" playlet. Such old man gatekeeping. Yeah, George how about you stop forcing your stupid red dirt music or crying about your sons on us. 

• Like 2