If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

I think an anonymous producer at the fan deserves $40k.  sirois is beloved and integral to the 10-12 time slot and deserves more than that. 

But they don’t care. He deserves only what he can sell upper management on what he needs. They look at it as the job is Producer. You manage the show, meaning control the talent to stay on time so get the commercials played as scheduled, especially the live spots. That’s it. You have the latitude to inject yourself into the show and get to build your brand for free. You can monetize it by getting spots, appearances, and side gigs. But don’t think it’s anything beyond that.

For years the Producer was there, but never violated the fourth wall so to speak. Then they started being addressed but not responding, and gradually started becoming part of the shows. But at the end of the day these are folks that work for a large media company and as Gordo said it is what it is. A lot of career folks that do it are happy with the gig as it’s laid out, take their 2% annual raise, and enjoy the job. The problem for Sirois is that there are plenty of folks who will take that job as laid out , even for less money, they are like sharks teeth.

As a career exec in consumer electronics retail, my industry collapsed on both the vendor and retailer sides as well as the role of the merchant. Dallas used to be loaded with big jobs, now it’s not. Almost ten years ago it collapsed, and I found myself at 55 on the outside, as big retailers either collapsed or eliminated hundreds of jobs. Had to redefine my role and attack it very differently, and seek solutions applying my experience I. A different way.

That’s the situation all these middle aged T2s are facing. They can either suck it up or redefine their careers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

But they don’t care. He deserves only what he can sell upper management on what he needs. They look at it as the job is Producer. You manage the show, meaning control the talent to stay on time so get the commercials played as scheduled, especially the live spots. That’s it. You have the latitude to inject yourself into the show and get to build your brand for free. You can monetize it by getting spots, appearances, and side gigs. But don’t think it’s anything beyond that.

For years the Producer was there, but never violated the fourth wall so to speak. Then they started being addressed but not responding, and gradually started becoming part of the shows. But at the end of the day these are folks that work for a large media company and as Gordo said it is what it is. A lot of career folks that do it are happy with the gig as it’s laid out, take their 2% annual raise, and enjoy the job. The problem for Sirois is that there are plenty of folks who will take that job as laid out , even for less money, they are like sharks teeth.

As a career exec in consumer electronics retail, my industry collapsed on both the vendor and retailer sides as well as the role of the merchant. Dallas used to be loaded with big jobs, now it’s not. Almost ten years ago it collapsed, and I found myself at 55 on the outside, as big retailers either collapsed or eliminated hundreds of jobs. Had to redefine my role and attack it very differently, and seek solutions applying my experience I. A different way.

That’s the situation all these middle aged T2s are facing. They can either suck it up or redefine their careers.

You're not wrong.   The job is what it is. But the ticket definitely profits off these other personalities. Maybe it is their fault for giving it away for free. But I think the last couple weeks have shown us that while talent definitely drives the station, they pay gap is a problem for certain guys. 

Love or hate Danny, he's was just as integral to the hardline as corby over the past decade. Pretty tough to wake up every morning knowing you are making 200 bucks today and that falling upwards yuk monkey is making 2 grand. 

Sirois waited and waited and waited and actually made 10-noon listenable. But again,  management didn't think he was worth anything more than a producer that sits in the background and offers nothing else. 

I dont blame either of them for bailing. I dont blame either for being jealous. I dont blame either for being butt hurt. 

The little ticket is in its last stages as we know it. It's been a helluva ride. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am of the opinion that he “deserves” more. I’m not even a danny fan but I can say he made the hardline better. just from my standpoint, losing danny and sirois makes me less inclined to listen from 10-12 and after WTDS. but I’m only one listener, and while there is backlash on social media that may be from a vocal minority. I would say that losing them devalues the station and will cost cumulus more money in the long run than paying them $80k/year (really that only applies to sirois; danny is not a full time host). I also understand it’s possible that the ratings may not change at all. and they may pay the next asshole they hire to produce the invasion significantly less than sirois was making, and laugh while doing it, and 99% of listeners won’t care about any of it. maybe.

just saying, for certain passionate fans of the station, myself included, losing mike sirois is a big deal, and for a company like cumulus $40k over the course of a year shouldn’t be hard to tack on to his salary. nobody gives a shit about sean bass, he doesn’t deserve it. ty walker seems like a good dude but nobody will pause if he leaves or is fired. people love mike sirois. he’s worth keeping around. 

• Like 2

Another thing that speaks poorly of the Musers. You know how much they would absolutely hate working with a board op other than Jer every day? Just look at how poorly they treat any fill ins there. That’s a big reason why Gordon, Craig, and George should absolutely be aware and go to bat for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am of the opinion that he “deserves” more. I’m not even a danny fan but I can say he made the hardline better. just from my standpoint, losing danny and sirois makes me less inclined to listen from 10-12 and after WTDS. but I’m only one listener, and while there is backlash on social media that may be from a vocal minority. I would say that losing them devalues the station and will cost cumulus more money in the long run than paying them $80k/year (really that only applies to sirois; danny is not a full time host). I also understand it’s possible that the ratings may not change at all. and they may pay the next asshole they hire to produce the invasion significantly less than sirois was making, and laugh while doing it, and 99% of listeners won’t care about any of it. maybe.
just saying, for certain passionate fans of the station, myself included, losing mike sirois is a big deal, and for a company like cumulus $40k over the course of a year shouldn’t be hard to tack on to his salary. nobody gives a shit about sean bass, he doesn’t deserve it. ty walker seems like a good dude but nobody will pause if he leaves or is fired. people love mike sirois. he’s worth keeping around. 

It’s not that I disagree with you. I was just describing reality. I spent a lot of years living in other markets and traveling to more: San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, NY, LA and there was nothing like the Ticket. Was a P1 from Day 1. Took a lot to figure out how to listen far away and it was mostly just drops. It’s a shame Cumulus didn’t develop more talent and shuffle the shows a bit. We are left with aging Morning guys and pm drive that has become unlistenable with amateurish shit for brains Corby. HL has zero chemistry with Sturm. It’s gone.

What do I see going in a year or two? I think they I’ll keep the Musers going as a separate show, and the rest of the station turns into syndicated shows. Maybe they condense remaining talent into the HL…when Norm leaves move Danny to HL with Sturm and Dan. If Gordo leaves it’s over.

Man that was full on red riding hood Gordon in that last part. No way he doesn’t know that Jer doesn’t get paid shit. No way 

I think he said he wasn’t aware Jer had an issue. He knows what they make; most don’t complain about since it’s the nature of the business.

28 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Another thing that speaks poorly of the Musers. You know how much they would absolutely hate working with a board op other than Jer every day? Just look at how poorly they treat any fill ins there. That’s a big reason why Gordon, Craig, and George should absolutely be aware and go to bat for him.

7 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Man that was full on red riding hood Gordon in that last part. No way he doesn’t know that Jer doesn’t get paid shit. No way 

Yeah that seems very intentional. He kept bringing up how Jer never said anything to him but of course Jer isn't going to vocalize it to the hosts. Nobody in their right mind is going to do that and make their work environment awkward and bad. It's on the shoulders of the people with the leverage to make sure their support staff they rely on is taken care of and to find out not a single one of the Musers has done that is disappointing. And nobody at that station has more leverage than Gordon. 

43 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Gordo not a fan of people recording and sharing his streams:

Then don't do it on the internet. Everything lives forever. I get his angle and what he's trying to do,  but it's fucking myopic in 2022. 

I read that whole thing in high pitched gordo voice. He's being a contrarian. He absolutely loves that it was on you tube within hours. Shit... he kept Mike on like 3 times after he said he was done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think he said he wasn’t aware Jer had an issue. He knows what they make; most don’t complain about since it’s the nature of the business.

He said he had no idea what Jer or anyone else at the station makes (beside George and Craig bc they negotiate together)

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s a shame Cumulus didn’t develop more talent and shuffle the shows a bit. We are left with aging Morning guys and pm drive that has become unlistenable with amateurish shit for brains Corby. HL has zero chemistry with Sturm. It’s gone.

What do I see going in a year or two? I think they I’ll keep the Musers going as a separate show, and the rest of the station turns into syndicated shows. Maybe they condense remaining talent into the HL…when Norm leaves move Danny to HL with Sturm and Dan. If Gordo leaves it’s over.

they need to bring back more night/weekend shows to at least throw young guys a bone and see who is halfway decent / willing to stick around or not.

at this point, how deep is their bench on who honestly has the talent to be an actual fill in guy, much less a full time host?

• Hook 'Em 1

they need to bring back more night/weekend shows to at least throw young guys a bone and see who is halfway decent / willing to stick around or not.
at this point, how deep is their bench on who honestly has the talent to be an actual fill in guy, much less a full time host?

They only need to do that if they really want a succession plan and sustainable model. They don’t need to do that if that’s not the long term plan. The proof that the model isn’t sustainable is in front of you with the HL…three folks in a phone booth and no chemistry. Rhyner leaving killed it. Same would happen if Gordo left. I wonder what jr or Jub would do if the other left. They are near lifelong BFFs and I don’t see one working well with out the other.

The station is like those Ice road truckers. They are a big truck of ratings but they are overweight and the lake ice is getting thin and crackly.

I’m not sure if some of the weekend shows are bought from the Ticket and the talent sells their own advertising. That’s a common model out there. Shit David Finfrock owns the weather at KXAS.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

They only need to do that if they really want a succession plan and sustainable model. They don’t need to do that if that’s not the long term plan. The proof that the model isn’t sustainable is in front of you with the HL…three folks in a phone booth and no chemistry. Rhyner leaving killed it. Same would happen if Gordo left. I wonder what jr or Jub would do if the other left. They are near lifelong BFFs and I don’t see one working well with out the other.

The station is like those Ice road truckers. They are a big truck of ratings but they are overweight and the lake ice is getting thin and crackly.

I’m not sure if some of the weekend shows are bought from the Ticket and the talent sells their own advertising. That’s a common model out there. Shit David Finfrock owns the weather at KXAS.

the Hardline was bad, for years, before Mike left. if he was engaged it was excellent. if he wasn't - and usually he wasn't - then it was very poor. two guys flying by the seat of their pants is perfectly fine for a Saturday morning (Orphanage) but it's shit for a drivetime show. The assumption they made bringing in Bob to run the show - and make no mistake about it, Bob runs that show - is that more structure would help with the result and the chemistry would come together. The show is certainly more structured but isn't coming together.

I don't think Gordo or Junior or Jub ever leaves by themselves. They negotiate together and I bet they would negotiate with a final end time/contract time in place, together.

• Like 1

Another reason Chael might have been ready to move on now is that he knows that Jake got low-balled on his new contract. And so you have these guys that have been waiting around forever for their host shot realize that they won't be rolling in it once they get the call. Especially for a 10-12 slot in Mikey's case.

• Hook 'Em 2

Another reason Chael might have been ready to move on now is that he knows that Jake got low-balled on his new contract. And so you have these guys that have been waiting around forever for their host shot realize that they won't be rolling in it once they get the call. Especially for a 10-12 slot in Mikey's case.

Why should a rookie get paid what a decades long veteran who drives book and ad revenue? You gotta prove yourself.

He's been there 15 years and has been dragging Norm's boring broke dick across the finish line every day for a decade. There's maybe 3 people at the station that can do a show with norm and it not completely suck. 
He's proven himself. 

You gotta bring ad revenue. That’s really the only measurement they care about. Media companies don’t give a shit about anything else. Norm does it like few others. They certainly don’t care about a producer or your feelings.

41 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You gotta bring ad revenue. That’s really the only measurement they care about. Media companies don’t give a shit about anything else. Norm does it like few others. They certainly don’t care about a producer or your feelings.

what does norm do like few others regarding ad revenue?  stumble through a spot?  forget the copy?  forget how to read the copy? 

The station was really something 30 years ago and the tier 1’s all earned their loot (and the ones who didn’t- Coop, Arnold, Skip, Rocco, the Hot Spot,…they’re all gone). However, it has been a long time since Gordon has been arrested at an away game, since Jub has partied with Jerry, since Corby approached the largest man in sports and asked a series of outrageous questions. To an extent, they’re resting on their laurels. 
Sirois is talented, for sure, but maybe if he tried to … make great radio, rather than just good? Like the stuff that built the station?

Side note- I used to wish Ben and Skin had stuck around. Now I get why they left, and why it was their best decision. 

Cirque is exactly like what built the station. People say stuff like the Ticket isn't what it used to be. Yeah, they're all older so they're not going to be as over the top as they used to be. Gordo isn't setting a blow torch to every single person on and off the air. The Ticket has changed but I still enjoy it and would be sad if it no longer existed. But it's BS to say Sirois didn't make great radio. He did a great job with Donnie and it's an infinitely more enjoyable experience to have him in there instead of boring ass slop voiced Norm. And the only reason Norm is still there is because the dumb advertisers who want him to slop voice for their businesses.

• Hook 'Em 6

23 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Shut the fuck up Texzilla. 

37 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

what does norm do like few others regarding ad revenue?  stumble through a spot?  forget the copy?  forget how to read the copy? 

Norm isn’t shit on ad revenue relative to any Muser, Jake, Dan, Bob or Corby. As usual Texzilla is just making shit up. 

37 minutes ago, statsman said:

The station was really something 30 years ago and the tier 1’s all earned their loot (and the ones who didn’t- Coop, Arnold, Skip, Rocco, the Hot Spot,…they’re all gone). However, it has been a long time since Gordon has been arrested at an away game, since Jub has partied with Jerry, since Corby approached the largest man in sports and asked a series of outrageous questions. To an extent, they’re resting on their laurels. 
Sirois is talented, for sure, but maybe if he tried to … make great radio, rather than just good? Like the stuff that built the station?

Side note- I used to wish Ben and Skin had stuck around. Now I get why they left, and why it was their best decision. 

Ben and Skin tried to hard. Fuck them. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Bet payoff sirois literally led to a couple of the best ticket bets in years. 

Norm isn’t shit on ad revenue relative to any Muser, Jake, Dan, Bob or Corby. As usual Texzilla is just making shit up. 

You’re talking out of your ass. You think Jake gets the same for a personal spot or appearance as Norm? That’s dumbassery right there.

You can probably find where Sirois is and drop by to give him a helmet buff.

All businesses eventually fail if they have no clue about the margin contribution of their various rev streams. You may not be a Norm fan but the sales side and Cumulus are.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You’re talking out of your ass. You think Jake gets the same for a personal spot or appearance as Norm? That’s dumbassery right there.

You can probably find where Sirois is and drop by to give him a helmet buff.

All businesses eventually fail if they have no clue about the margin contribution of their various rev streams. You may not be a Norm fan but the sales side and Cumulus are.

Any business that pays Norm a tremendous amount of money deserves to fail. I’d much rather have Jake and 95% of businesses would agree.  Now maybe Norm has a going rate that 5% of sponsors would pay for and as a result, the sales team holds firm on that. But they’re idiotic businesses, and I don’t really care if you’re right about this point. 

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Good point. If I’m driving 10-12, and it’s Donnie and Sirois, I’m listening. If it’s Norm, I’m flipping to 91.7. 

Listening to Donnie when Sirois made his announcement you get the sense that Donnie was thinking his radio career was walking right out the door with Sirois. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Listening to Donnie when Sirois made his announcement you get the sense that Donnie was thinking his radio career was walking right out the door with Sirois. 

Exactly this. I didn't even hang around for the mix this morning. Who is going to do birdhouse, now?  Jer?  I won't know because I'm out. And bobs steak and chop and all pro foundation and whatever else norm sounds like he's jacking off to while reading the spot won't care because they are all in on him. I dont get it,  but he has a very loyal book.  But for a lowly producer Mike had a pretty good book as well. 

If Norm was such a huge radio draw they'd have him at afternoon drive and not parked into the lowest rated 2 hour mini slot. That slot should be used to grow up and coming talent like Sirois who have outgrown weekend shows but don't have the experience yet for a prime commuter slot. Not used to park a dinosaur to put out a garbage product just because Bob's wants to keep paying big money for him to slobber on air for them.

I'm curious how does the ad revenue work? Does the talent get paid every time a spot is aired? Once the talent reads the spot does the company have control over it going forward? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, pops said:

Exactly this. I didn't even hang around for the mix this morning. Who is going to do birdhouse, now?  Jer?  I won't know because I'm out. And bobs steak and chop and all pro foundation and whatever else norm sounds like he's jacking off to while reading the spot won't care because they are all in on him. I dont get it,  but he has a very loyal book.  But for a lowly producer Mike had a pretty good book as well. 

Gordo doesn't have much of a book right? Other than Canes what ads does he read?

Seems the same for Miller. Jub seems to have the most out of the morning show.