If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Your first option is the only decision. I don’t think they have any intention of continuing this format down the road. There is no succession plan or building a bench because their will be no more T1 big salaries as the old guard goes away.
Cumulus knows there are plenty of folks that will do this for way less money, which is how radio has worked forever. For every Rick Dees or Rush Limbaugh there are thousands of interns and low wage on air folks hoping for a break.

Agreed. Cat knows they caught lightning in a bottle with the core hosts. In a few years you’ll have a different demo—kids of P1s—that don’t think their dad’s radio is funny. That’s what the Fan has survived on basically. The younger demo that doesn’t get or like the Ticket. In 5-10 years we’ll be listening to syndicated shows. 

^^^agree. I have lots of younger friends and my family that think the ticket is a bunch of inside jokes or blowhards. I'm not much older than them but I grew up on the ticket since elementary school so I guess I don't see it but that narrative is definitely there 

• Hook 'Em 2

^^^agree. I have lots of younger friends and my family that think the ticket is a bunch of inside jokes or blowhards. I'm not much older than them but I grew up on the ticket since elementary school so I guess I don't see it but that narrative is definitely there 

A lot of these bits are 25 years old, with some of the same hosts. That’s across two to three generations. A remarkable run but coming to an end.

Corby is a cancer. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was sliding Greggo the blow to run him off. He is an idiot about sports, a terrible broadcaster, and just insipid. When Danny left they should have cleaned house.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Maybe I am misremembering but the last I saw of the ratings was Norm killing it even though the consensus here (myself included) is that he's unlistenable.

It's almost like there's a whole other world of people out there who aren't all just like us. Who knew?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Are these guys subject to non-solicits?

The tier 1 hosts are for sure but I wouldn't think the producers are. Aren't they hourly employees? That's a good question though, although wouldn't one only apply to the sponsors in this case?

If Gordo leaves they’re pretty clearly going out of business. That’s text book sinking ship stuff right there, for any company. Some start seeing the writing on the wall and jump ship, others ride it out a while hoping it’s not going to happen, and a handful stay until the bitter end and are the last ones there to turn out the lights on the way out.

44 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

When Gordo leaves, I’m out… Dan alone can’t save it for me at that point.

This is a really weird take. Why would Gordon leaving one show affect whether you listen to an entirely different show? Gordon has appeared on BaD Radio/The Hang Zone...maybe 3 times ever?

Granted he did finally make tier1 and is making decent money now unlike the recent departures, but kinda feel bad for Jake busting his ass all those years and generally putting in high effort/caring throughout only to see shit hit the fan a couple years later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Lots of people speculating that Gordo may be looking at exit strategies, and that he may be angling to bringing his talents to Twitch, given all of his forays there. There will be a good one on Saturday night. 

Gordo isn't really the target demo for twitch. Unless he's going to start dressing funny, give himself a goofy nickname, and start playing tons of video games. 

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Gordo isn't really the target demo for twitch. Unless he's going to start dressing funny, give himself a goofy nickname, and start playing tons of video games. 

I've never even heard of twitch.  Which, based on your description of target demo, makes sense.

The tier 1 hosts are for sure but I wouldn't think the producers are. Aren't they hourly employees? That's a good question though, although wouldn't one only apply to the sponsors in this case?

If you are a big enough personality to have a billboard, then for sure you have a non-compete, and it will stand up in court unlike most regular ones. Let’s say you are on the radio as Mark E. Baby. You couldnt just take a new gig across town cos your audience will go with you, which belongs to the station. Way back then they’d get fired, usually for being drunk or banging the PD’s wife, and go to another station with a new alias and start all over as someone like Johnny Dark or Dave Diamond.

If you are a big enough personality to have a billboard, then for sure you have a non-compete, and it will stand up in court unlike most regular ones. Let’s say you are on the radio as Mark E. Baby. You couldnt just take a new gig across town cos your audience will go with you, which belongs to the station. Way back then they’d get fired, usually for being drunk or banging the PD’s wife, and go to another station with a new alias and start all over as someone like Johnny Dark or Dave Diamond.

This is a really weird take. Why would Gordon leaving one show affect whether you listen to an entirely different show? Gordon has appeared on BaD Radio/The Hang Zone...maybe 3 times ever?

It’s really more that I listen to Gordo’s segments every day and I listen to their cross-talk. Then during the NormanD show I fade in and out not really listening. Hangzone I catch the opening during lunch and the try to catch as much as possible. I try to catch WTDS and then I’m usually “listening” to the hardline but I don’t really care if I miss segements. Usually on my drive home I listen to E-news and then when it’s over I switch to Spotify music.

But it all hinges on waking up to Gordo’s brilliance. The days he is out, I find myself barely listening to the ticket at all. Which tells me when he’s gone, I’m gone… I might swing by to hear Dan because I do love his schtick but I don’t think it’s be for more than a segment or 2…

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

?!

56% of twitch viewers are between 24 and 54, it skews younger for sure (41% 16-24) but let's not act like they are some super cutting edge group that skews like 80% teens.

I'm about an hour behind on the stream but it is unreal they would rather have the invasion than boom in the house. Mike and donny are so fucking good together. 

Maybe cumulus really doesn't give a fuck and they've made their money x times over on the purchase and if it dies, it dies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

?!

56% of twitch viewers are between 24 and 54, it skews younger for sure (41% 16-24) but let's not act like they are some super cutting edge group that skews like 80% teens.

Virtually all of the biggest draws on that platform are 1) hot chick gaming or 2) other random ass dudes with some shtick gaming. It's going to be next to impossible to build a big enough following on there to make any real money by doing talk radio. 

Now if he's not concerned with earning and he's tired of waking up at 3 am every day then yeah he could leave to do a hobby show. He won't have the income he has now though. 

If you're one of the other stations that does talk, especially the Eagle with non sports focused talk, why wouldn't you take a shot on a show with Sirois and another cohost over the remnants of the Russ Martin show? Could pair him with someone and if successful could negotiate with Donovan when his contract/non compete ends and take some of the built in ticket audience. Seems the ticket may be ripe for the picking from other stations. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

No, your take is pretty weird. Without Gordo the station dies.  Cumulus will enjoy increased profitability for a few months, but the station will die. 

I ask about non-competes because I would LOVE to know enough about radio to form a station. I have a friend with significant money, we’re in two partnerships already, working a third, and have a shared interest in radio. I’d love to put the exact band I want together (he lives in Austin). Which would include most everyone involved. 

48 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

It’s really more that I listen to Gordo’s segments every day and I listen to their cross-talk. Then during the NormanD show I fade in and out not really listening. Hangzone I catch the opening during lunch and the try to catch as much as possible. I try to catch WTDS and then I’m usually “listening” to the hardline but I don’t really care if I miss segements. Usually on my drive home I listen to E-news and then when it’s over I switch to Spotify music.

But it all hinges on waking up to Gordo’s brilliance. The days he is out, I find myself barely listening to the ticket at all. Which tells me when he’s gone, I’m gone… I might swing by to hear Dan because I do love his schtick but I don’t think it’s be for more than a segment or 2…

So you're a marginal P5

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

well, doesn't Sirois stream his gaming on twitch?  Gordo can just tune out like he does currently for sports segments when Mike is teabagging 13 yo in Counterstrike.

image.png.4da532fcb8fb7cdf5f0f75918fd2b7ed.png

1 hour ago, futureman said:

was this a gordo line I missed?

Probably but could be Jake. May have said it upthread but he had a line that was so in-line with normal Ticket talk but just cracked me up. Something to the effect of “it’s a bad idea to ride a donkey when you have fentanyl in your vagina.”  Four red flags in one line. 

They are really going to kill their golden goose, aren’t they?  Largish companies do idiotic things that smart bureaucrats conclude is sensible. Happens all the time in so many industries. You cannot manage this radio station like your average sports station. They’ve really, really fucked it up. Rhyner and team probably got several big licks over the years, and it surely wasn’t up to him to whom to sell, but surely he has to be miffed at the high attrition rate that appears to be unfolding. Sirois (and Cash) and Danny aren’t young by any stretch, but Danny was a lot more capable that people here will admit, and they’ve just gutted their bench in two weeks. The rest of their bench is akin to the Animal House rush party nerds. Their $50K real talent just walked and we’ve got Ham, Monte, Medellin and a bunch of other spares. Got a bunch of Bobis waiting for Kidd to put them in the game and we will instead hear more of W4P and Elf as fill-ins.   

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Virtually all of the biggest draws on that platform are 1) hot chick gaming or 2) other random ass dudes with some shtick gaming. It's going to be next to impossible to build a big enough following on there to make any real money by doing talk radio. 

Now if he's not concerned with earning and he's tired of waking up at 3 am every day then yeah he could leave to do a hobby show. He won't have the income he has now though. 

If you're one of the other stations that does talk, especially the Eagle with non sports focused talk, why wouldn't you take a shot on a show with Sirois and another cohost over the remnants of the Russ Martin show? Could pair him with someone and if successful could negotiate with Donovan when his contract/non compete ends and take some of the built in ticket audience. Seems the ticket may be ripe for the picking from other stations. 

you are 100% correct, i was just saying that it isn't like Twitch is bad and they can use it as an additional income stream via subs.

the path for real money is not twitch though, the path is through something like Patreon.

2-3 podcasts a week - make 1 of them a video podcast. 1 Q&A per month. stream random shit on twitch. charge a reasonable amount and go from there.

It would be interesting to know how many of these departures are going to remain in broadcasting, whether on production, on air, or sales, or complete career changes due to the declining opportunities in radio.

This has been going on for 20 years and the Ticket has been an anomaly. A buddy of mine was top morning drive personality in three large markets for 20+ years; he does voiceover production out of his house exclusively for 12 years. He wasn’t going to go back to working for peanuts; he lost the need to be the radio star king before that.

Gordo is the only one with true marketable monetizing talent divorced from the Ticket. The others at best are marginal to abysmal. You know Corby is sucking Cumulus cock hoping he scores a management gig when they eventually pull the plug. Cumulus may not abandon the format, just the big salaries and replace them with cheaper folks.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

It would be interesting to know how many of these departures are going to remain in broadcasting, whether on production, on air, or sales, or complete career changes due to the declining opportunities in radio.

This has been going on for 20 years and the Ticket has been an anomaly. A buddy of mine was top morning drive personality in three large markets for 20+ years; he does voiceover production out of his house exclusively for 12 years. He wasn’t going to go back to working for peanuts; he lost the need to be the radio star king before that.

Gordo is the only one with true marketable monetizing talent divorced from the Ticket. The others at best are marginal to abysmal. You know Corby is sucking Cumulus cock hoping he scores a management gig when they eventually pull the plug. Cumulus may not abandon the format, just the big salaries and replace them with cheaper folks.

You have message board Asperger’s. 

57 minutes ago, NoName said:

the path for real money is not twitch though, the path is through something like Patreon.

2-3 podcasts a week - make 1 of them a video podcast. 1 Q&A per month. stream random shit on twitch. charge a reasonable amount and go from there.

Just came to say this. I would definitely pay for a gordo patreon. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you are 100% correct, i was just saying that it isn't like Twitch is bad and they can use it as an additional income stream via subs.

I thought rhyner would maintain a big following and do well with a podcast but I have yet to meet anyone who listens to it. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I thought rhyner would maintain a big following and do well with a podcast but I have yet to meet anyone who listens to it. 

Once you've have something piped into your car and now phone for free for 20+ years you're not going to make the effort to seek out if it goes on paid streaming. At least most people won't

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Once you've have something piped into your car and now phone for free for 20+ years you're not going to make the effort to seek out if it goes on paid streaming. At least most people won't

I listen to him on Spotify. I pay for mine so I don't know if it's free on there. The main problem with his podcast is the long stretches between posts. He went from September of last year to Feb of this one with radio silence. 3 in April was a flurry of activity.

39 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Please invest all your money in a radio station.

I’m investing all my money in oil and gas royalties. Might as well add some radio. I’m a contrarian. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, Texzilla58 said:

They have to have a backup for Norm if he retires or dies and don’t. Say Norm strokes out this weekend whos with Donnie next week? Jean Jacques Taylor? Cowlishaw? The usual list of retreads?
They have to find cheap talent to develop per the old original model.

Mark Elfenbein is ready to step up

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I listen to him on Spotify. I pay for mine so I don't know if it's free on there. The main problem with his podcast is the long stretches between posts. He went from September of last year to Feb of this one with radio silence. 3 in April was a flurry of activity.

It's free on there. Listening to his balis interview right now. 

But you're right. His content is too sporadic. I figured he quit doing it when nothing was showing up for months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

saw on the Ticket Reddit page that Monty did an AMA, and Monty said he applied to be the 3 to 7 producer.  that would absolutely work.  Monty has enough sports nerd in him to add content (especially Mavs related), and he's goofy enough that he'd work well with Corby (and of course, his boy Mino).

• Like 1