Death to the TABC

Horn Under a Bad Sign

These articles are so spot on. Fucking out-of-control goose-stepping bureaucrats:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2019-02-01/will-texas-patch-up-tabc-before-it-bursts/

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2019-02-01/how-has-tabc-screwed-you-lately/

Sunset Act that motherfucker!

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

These articles are so spot on. Fucking out-of-control goose-stepping bureaucrats:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2019-02-01/will-texas-patch-up-tabc-before-it-bursts/

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2019-02-01/how-has-tabc-screwed-you-lately/

Sunset Act that motherfucker!

Goose stepping morons such as the TABC shooohld try reading buuuhhks instead of barhhning them!
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's way past time for the TABC to be dissolved. The comptroller can collect taxes on alcohol just like they collect sales taxes and law enforcement can enforce the drinking age.

I think we still need something resembling a TABC to handle the licensing etc.

It's just like we need to dissolve our current TABC and come up with a new department.

And the laws they are working with are bullshit too, those need a complete cleanup - those laws aren't TABC's fault...

Some of it feels to me  (and I HATE TABC) like the hatred that gets piled on the IRS, when really the IRS, most of the time, is just working with what they are given. The IRS and TABC both have issues, but the root of those issues is the laws.

Edited by relapse98

Nah, the TABC once followed me out of a convenience store, then followed my car until we were five miles out into the country at 9 PM at night, and then searched my car for alcohol.  We were 4 high school seniors they they thought they could bust for a bunch of MIP's and get themselves some free alcohol I guess.  When they found no alcohol in the car, they then proceeded to give us a 45 minute lecture, on a deserted country backroad, about how anything could happen out there, and if they decided to run us in for trying to buy alcohol (we hadn't), it'd be at least 2 days before we would get out of jail.  There's not a single law on the books that required any of those events to transpire.  

CSB, the next day, 2 of us called up one of the other guys pretending to be TASB and told him we'd changed our minds and we were stopping by his house shortly to arrest him.  That was fucking hilarious!

• Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, David Dennison said:

It's way past time for the TABC to be dissolved. The comptroller can collect taxes on alcohol just like they collect sales taxes and law enforcement can enforce the drinking age.

The comptroller already does collect the taxes. 

20 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I think we still need something resembling a TABC to handle the licensing etc.

It's just like we need to dissolve our current TABC and come up with a new department.

And the laws they are working with are bullshit too, those need a complete cleanup - those laws aren't TABC's fault...

Some of it feels to me  (and I HATE TABC) like the hatred that gets piled on the IRS, when really the IRS, most of the time, is just working with what they are given. The IRS and TABC both have issues, but the root of those issues is the laws.

I get the analogy but TABC agents being armed, stupid and have that "respect my authorit-eye" cop mentality.  That takes it to a different level. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Nah, the TABC once followed me out of a convenience store, then followed my car until we were five miles out into the country at 9 PM at night, and then searched my car for alcohol.  We were 4 high school seniors they they thought they could bust for a bunch of MIP's and get themselves some free alcohol I guess.  When they found no alcohol in the car, they then proceeded to give us a 45 minute lecture, on a deserted country backroad, about how anything could happen out there, and if they decided to run us in for trying to buy alcohol (we hadn't), it'd be at least 2 days before we would get out of jail.  There's not a single law on the books that required any of those events to transpire.  

CSB, the next day, 2 of us called up one of the other guys pretending to be TASB and told him we'd changed our minds and we were stopping by his house shortly to arrest him.  That was fucking hilarious!

Now that is true friendship...

What’s you age again? What’s your age again?

25 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Mid 40's.  Mid 40's.  Is there an echo? Is there an echo?

Also, this happened near the strip in Lubbock, so YMMV, but Lubbock sucks.  Also, prank calls are way harder now that there is such a thing as caller ID.

I think I’m deducing you’re more into country music or perhaps adult contemporary?

Wow, that was eye opening for me as I am not too familiar with how TABC operates.  I am a small partner in two liquor establishments in another state and that state also has a liquor commission, but there the way to survive there is to basically "donate" heavily to the fire and police departments with their charity balls/fundraisers/tournaments/dinners etc (extended families of these two areas co-mingled HEAVILY with extended family members as liquor agents) and even help sponsor specific high school sports programs.  (again, heavy concentration of these three departments from similar neighborhoods/extended families).  Do larger establishments in Austin have any ability to politically stave off pressure/problems as needed or it is a complete clusterfuck?