50 best movie soundtracks of all time

tbone_

I didn't look at the list.  When I saw John Sayles' Baby It's You back in the early 80s, I thought it had the best soundtrack ever.  I think there were some licensing problems with releasing the film on video because he may have used some Springsteen songs without permission.  Anyway, if memory serves, it was a mix of 60s music and Springsteen and it really worked.  And that's all I have to say about that.

I think that in a few of those they confused sound track with movie score. I have a copy of Mayfields Superfly album, and I love it. But that was pretty much the entire movie. Or has it just been a long, long time since I have seen the movie?

Other then Easy Rider, I would guess that Pulp started, or at least solved the contemporary music rights issue that kept earlier directors from doing similar compilations that we all take for granted today. And that only happened because of Fonda and Hopper. Both who had the connections to get a sweet deal (each band got a supposed $1000) with Steppenwolf to include BOTH The Pusher and Born to be wild. And Hopper was forced to use McGuinn’s version of “I’m only Bleeding”, as Dylan wouldn’t allow his version in the film. Without those songs the movie would have felt much differently.

So you would have to put Easy Rider high on the list simply because it pretty much pulled from the top 100 of its time. Which was unprecedented.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, retread said:

I haven't heard that Don Felder song in forever. He didn't have a bad voice, but he didn't really sing on many songs, did he?

Heavy Metal had an interesting mix of artists

image.png

and you couldn't watch the movie with the soundtrack for years because of all the lawsuits over the music.

Owned these ones on CD:

Judgment Night

Dazed and Confused

Boogie Nights (both volumes)

Pulp Fiction

2001: A Space Odyssey

Trainspotting

Superfly

Never owned a Wes Anderson soundtrack, but that man can fucking pick winners. Jealous film school drop outs and haters can get fucked. I like my Wes Anderson movies with the most Wes Anderson-y soundtracks possible. 

Technically a score and not a soundtrack, but I fucking love Elmer Bernstein's arrangements in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Tom Petty's recordings for "She's the One" were sublime. I wore that thing out. Great originals and covers alike. Never seen the movie and never will. It is so stand-alone good I don't need a shitty movie to mess it up for me.

"Little Miss Sunshine" is an amazing soundtrack that often gets overlooked.

• Like 1

"She's The One" was my first thought.

Also would have thought at least ONE of Knopfler's soundtracks would have made the list:  Pick one.  Local Hero, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Cal, or The Princess Bride.

Also,  like all Cameron Crowe movies, I enjoyed the soundtrack for "Elizabethtown".

Edited by hullabelew

17 hours ago, hullabelew said:

"She's The One" was my first thought.

Also would have thought at least ONE of Knopfler's soundtracks would have made the list:  Pick one.  Local Hero, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Cal, or The Princess Bride.

Also,  like all Cameron Crowe movies, I enjoyed the soundtrack for "Elizabethtown".

Local Hero is great. I think that was his first film score. Underrated movie too.

21 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Tom Petty's recordings for "She's the One" were sublime. I wore that thing out. Great originals and covers alike. Never seen the movie and never will. It is so stand-alone good I don't need a shitty movie to mess it up for me. 

Whoa.  For a moment I thought you were disparaging the greatness of "She's All That".

giphy.gif

On 2/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, usmc0331horn said:

Yea, no Almost Famous? Empire Records? Reality Bites? The Big Chill?

These were all right in my wheelhouse, so totally agree.  Also think Singles is wayyyyy to low at 47.

Songs from PJ, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Westerberg, AiC, Screaming Trees, etc.  And not just songs - great songs.  Many of which were not previously released or were unheard in mainstream.  Its one thing to have a soundtrack like Forest Gump or the Big Chill and get the rights to a bunch of hits.  Its another to releases a soundtrack with a bunch of unheard music.

• Like 1