Crawfish Boil - Birthday Party

immamac

Crawfish Boil  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who should boil?

• Me/My Friends
    • Hire Someone
    • Fuck off aggy

My wife is throwing me a birthday party/crawfish boil - I'm wondering what the opinion is on boiling them ourselves vs hiring someone to come in and boil for us while we enjoy the festivities. 
What say ye?
How many people you expecting?

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
2 minutes ago, immamac said:
My wife is throwing me a birthday party/crawfish boil - I'm wondering what the opinion is on boiling them ourselves vs hiring someone to come in and boil for us while we enjoy the festivities. 
What say ye?

How many people you expecting?

This.  I throw a couple of boils every year and one of them usually falls on my birthday.  I typically boil them myself but I'm only doing about 70-80 lbs.  

I did it myself last year and my wife told me I got too drunk and wasn't on top of it for back/back batches that were necessary. They came out cooked and tasting great, but I was partying pretty hard and obviously distracted and thats why she pitched hiring someone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I did it myself last year and my wife told me I got too drunk and wasn't on top of it for back/back batches that were necessary. They came out cooked and tasting great, but I was partying pretty hard and obviously distracted and thats why she pitched hiring someone.

Drinking and boiling crawfish goes hand in hand IMO.  If you're just doing 3 sacks I'd say boil it yourself and see if you can get one or two guests to help out.  Catering a crawfish boil can get pretty pricey.  I got pretty shit faced last year on my birthday for the second batch but my BIL kept an eye on it for me.  

Thats the one I have. It will hold two bags. Also 3 sacks for 60 people might be a little low. My annual birthday crawfish boil usually has about 45, with about 30% being really serious eaters, we go through 5 sacks like shit through a goose. 3 will be good if there aren't any coonasses, or 10-12 lb. eaters. We average about 4 lbs. per head count.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The problem is I can't do a sack at a time in my current setup, it's more like 1/4 sack per batch 

Yeah that makes it a pain in the ass then.  Invest in a bigger pot (as suggested earlier) if you plan to do more boils in the future.  I've got an 80 qt that works perfectly.  

Since this is an annual event, invest in a 100qt pot/burner kit so you can boil a whole bag.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-100-qt-crawfish-kit

This is the correct answer or get 2-60qt pots if you soak post cook. Or just ask a friend or two if they don’t mind taking charge.

Also, I am having a hard time believing that there’s a woman out there that would marry you.
  • Like 1

I say hire it out and party your ass off with nary a care in the world.  Sounds like your history proves you don't enjoy the cooking as much as the partying so why cause yourself more grief?  

It's YOUR birthday.  YOLO and all that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

I got a great idea, tell the Mrs. that you want a crawfish cooker for your birthday. Be sure and get the double jet burner, it gets my 120 quart boiling in about 10 minutes, better have an extra bottle of propane, cause it eats it fast. Its also so loud the neighbors walked out the first time I used it., and started looking up in the sky for low flying jets.

CHIEF

This is the correct answer or get 2-60qt pots if you soak post cook. Or just ask a friend or two if they don’t mind taking charge.

Also, I am having a hard time believing that there’s a woman out there that would marry you.

He said wife, not that it was a woman.
  • Like 1

Is this going to happen at your home?  Because no one but me would be cooking for a party at my home.  Wife (no pics) may assist with setting out stuff, but outdoor cooking is my domain.

1.  Buy proper gear (see suggestions above)

2.  Get quality bugs

3.  Drink

4.  Boil

5.  Drink

6.  Eat

7.  Drink

8.  ?????

9.  Profit

If your wife is insistent, tell her you will have to trade in your man card of you have it catered, but you are willing to consider it for a bj w/ swallow on the front end.  After receipt, proceed to step 1 above.

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I forgot to update this thread. Will post pics of the success.

@Dr Fear for 100qt boil (30lbs at a time) I used:

Brought to rolling boil, squeezed in lemons, threw in everything but the mudbugs, then wait for it to start rolling again put in 30lbs of rinsed/purged/strained crawfish - 15 minutes boiling then kill heat add butter and cool it off using 10lb bag of ice or hosing down the outside and stirring as fast as you can to as close to 150 and let it soak for 15 (soak phase is key to spice)

repeat as many times as you need to to get through all the crawfish - we did 106lbs in 3 batches and it was some good shit. Blacklabs daughter probably killed 10lbs herself 

o3DvlPQZzlxSc3-HxM-8awrlji0QlEL1hLlRylA3

DxzhfCWH3ednLMrZt4l_F_CLvLRMLOIJtDjM31Qa

ef7Ftp436IhMRnBgZDe5WOX5yWzp_ITBONk8RPR5

OYVocJ-5F4IQRuQ-SRGjXJAjg1gcoBKdu4eZGeJL

• Like 7

Shout out to quality seafood for the crawfish, although it was really high prices for early season the quality was amazing. We had virtually no loss (less than 5% for sure) and all were commercially purged before, not a single dookie vein in any of the crawfish. Really good size as well.

22 hours ago, immamac said:

I forgot to update this thread. Will post pics of the success.

@Dr Fear for 100qt boil (30lbs at a time) I used:

Brought to rolling boil, squeezed in lemons, threw in everything but the mudbugs, then wait for it to start rolling again put in 30lbs of rinsed/purged/strained crawfish - 15 minutes boiling then kill heat add butter and cool it off using 10lb bag of ice or hosing down the outside and stirring as fast as you can to as close to 150 and let it soak for 15 (soak phase is key to spice)

repeat as many times as you need to to get through all the crawfish - we did 106lbs in 3 batches and it was some good shit. Blacklabs daughter probably killed 10lbs herself 

p16-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=BpTErmu

p16-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=BrzJe1w

p16-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=BjDst18

OYVocJ-5F4IQRuQ-SRGjXJAjg1gcoBKdu4eZGeJL

We are looking at 40-50ish people, how many lbs you think we need ?  The current plan is 60 lbs.

I've given this tip before but bears repeating. When boiling multiple batches. use two setups. One will be your boiling pot and the other be used for soaking. This way you don't have to wait for your pot to get back up to boil to start your next batch. You don't even really need to  put seasoning in your boiling pot. The soak will impart the flavor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I've given this tip before but bears repeating. When boiling multiple batches. use two setups. One will be your boiling pot and the other be used for soaking. This way you don't have to wait for your pot to get back up to boil to start your next batch. You don't even really need to  put seasoning in your boiling pot. The soak will impart the flavor.

If you have 2 pots this is obviously the ideal setup, it's all about the soak - the crawfish is actually usually cooked in about 8-12 minutes you just do 15 to make sure because getting sick sucks.

A lot of people like to eat potatoes sausage corn etc. If you don't have a bunch of coonass friends or native Texas/Louisiana friends 2lbs is about all people have before their mouth is on fire or they are full from the other shit and snacks. 

I'd never recommend less than 4lb per person for a party of all crawfish eaters and for real coonass parties it's more like 6lb per person 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Get small shrimp with the shell on so you can slow down the people who’s primary mission is to stuff their face with the most expensive food as fast as possible. 

Great advice.  Any good playbooks on a list of ingredients(Sausage, Corn, Seasoning, etc.) and the timing of each?