Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

I am sure part of the FBI's motivation is the headlines and large names that go with it. Nobody gives two shits about Singer, the orchestrator.

The media frenzy wants to know who has been skipping the line, not who helped them skip.

Very true.  This is a relatively minor problem among those facing our country.  It did jumpstart a hell of a "dialog" on privilege.

volleyball player at my nephews high school, who had never rowed before, got a scholarship for crew at Texas.  graduated from high school a year ago.  doesn't show on the roster. Crew is really ripe for this kind of funny business.  put a girl on scholarship, get paid, if you need said scholarship down the road, no worries just drop and pay full tuition.   I'm guessing other sports would be much harder.  

the other thing is allowing the splitting up of the scholarships. split 1 scholly into 3, get paid, then student drops.  you are only "wasting" one scholarship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Very true.  This is a relatively minor problem among those facing our country.  It did jumpstart a hell of a "dialog" on privilege.

Yes, but as I explained to my 15 YO son just yesterday, the idea of railing against the Feds being involved would essentially say that they have a floor somewhat above $25M when it comes to investigating financial crimes.  I'm pretty sure they've been involved in smaller crimes than that, even accounting for inflation.

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've had to give this some thought.  Public shaming, such as this, is ok, it's certainly the First Amendment right of the shamer to do it without legal consequence.  But giving someone personal shit just because you now have an excuse to, more the classic bullyiing, outside any real public forum, is just shitty behavior.

I'm not sure personal shunning is "right" either.  It's a personal prerogative of the shunner to some extent, but it also is used to justify refusal to hire felons, for example.

We are more than our sins.

....if we are contrite.  That's a huge IF.

IF the Loughlin clan acknowledges and owns the error of their ways, IF they commit themselves to doing right by those in the world who suffer at the expense of their privilege, then I'll tip my hat to them.

I ain't holding my breath.  I've seen and know their kind.  They are entitled, they will see themselves as the victims, and they will never change.  Their particular sins will be of a continuing and perpetual nature.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, but as I explained to my 15 YO son just yesterday, the idea of railing against the Feds being involved would essentially say that they have a floor somewhat above $25M when it comes to investigating financial crimes.  I'm pretty sure they've been involved in smaller crimes than that, even accounting for inflation.

For once I'm not railing on the Feds.  I think this is a justifiable use of their power.  However, I am always interested in and somewhat skeptical of any prosecutor's motives for bringing a case, whether state or federal.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

IF the Loughlin clan acknowledges and owns the error of their ways, IF they commit themselves to doing right by those in the world who suffer at the expense of their privilege, then I'll tip my hat to them.

I ain't holding my breath.  I've seen and know their kind.  They are entitled, they will see themselves as the victims, and they will never change.  Their particular sins will be of a continuing and perpetual nature.

Fair enough.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

volleyball player at my nephews high school, who had never rowed before, got a scholarship for crew at Texas.  graduated from high school a year ago.  doesn't show on the roster. Crew is really ripe for this kind of funny business.  put a girl on scholarship, get paid, if you need said scholarship down the road, no worries just drop and pay full tuition.   I'm guessing other sports would be much harder.  

the other thing is allowing the splitting up of the scholarships. split 1 scholly into 3, get paid, then student drops.  you are only "wasting" one scholarship.

A will tend to agree but UT row routinely recruits other athletes because they usually have to "grow" their top performers. She probably got recruited legit but didn't stick. Rowing is a tough schedule and tends to not allow certain degree programs for their athletes. Friend's daughter was recruited for UT but was only a HS swimmer. Stuck with it all four years.

Volleyball players have the height, length, and explosion required for rowing **i presume**

Edited by pacman

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Now that you mention it, there were a couple of very wealthy guys on the freshman crew team at Johns Hopkins when I was on it.  One was part of the Heinz family, another of the Vlasic family as well.  They actually attended practices and participated on the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of their admissions decision.  They seemed more into Greek life than academics anyway.

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

Now that you mention it, there were a couple of very wealthy guys on the freshman crew team at Johns Hopkins when I was on it.  One was part of the Heinz family, another of the Vlasic family as well.  They actually attended practices and participated on the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of their admissions decision.  They seemed more into Greek life than academics anyway.

To be fair, crew is a relatively wealthy sport.

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

A will tend to agree but UT row routinely recruits other athletes because they usually have to "grow" their top performers. She probably got recruited legit but didn't stick. Rowing is a tough schedule and tends to not allow certain degree programs for their athletes. Friend's daughter was recruited for UT but was only a HS swimmer. Stuck with it all four years.

Volleyball players have the height, length, and explosion required for rowing **i presume**

Yeah, women's crew has been discussed a lot over the years on these boards in the context of Title IX absurdity .  For quite some time now, any athletic gal with some size and strength has had a decent shot at getting some scholarship money from Texas Crew.  Because it isn't really a sport in Texas, very few are going to have any prior experience.  I don't think it has been manipulated much beyond that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah, and pacman was right about there being a lot of crossover in ideal body composition between female volleyball stars and female rowing athletes.

My short ass would have been better off trying to lose 70 lbs and become a coxswain than to actually survive on an 8-man crew.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

I agree that tall girls with reach(basketball/volleyball) would be good for crew.  and until otherwise found out I assume our crew is doing everything by the book. Plus I have no idea how many are on scholarship.   its funny if you look at the roster.  norwegians/UK/East coast/some Cali and then a bunch of texas high schoolers. usually no Bio because they didn't crew.  

maybe we should start AAU Crew in Texas and get some Nike money.  who's with me?

So my tiny, smart 16 YO daughter who is also cute as hell and a dancer could crew for UT?

Hell no I'm not posting pictures.  I'm already worried about her becoming a cockswain, I'm not about to advance the cause.

Then again, tuition isn't free, so . . .  wait, no.  

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

lulz.  You're screwed.  Also, lots of fraternizing between the crew teams.  Maybe it's best for you that she not join crew.

Eh, I fully realize I can't control anything anyway.  She does want to go to UT though.  She wants to double major in neurobiology and music (the "Polymathic Scholars" program).  I'm pretty sure crew would be out of the question, should she actually get admitted.  That's OK, honey.  Spend your time in the library where you belong.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I fully realize I can't control anything anyway.  She does want to go to UT though.  She wants to double major in neurobiology and music (the "Polymathic Scholars" program).  I'm pretty sure crew would be out of the question, should she actually get admitted.  That's OK, honey.  Spend your time in the library where you belong.

Getting afield here, but being a polymath yourself, what do you think of dual-majoring like that?  The engineer in me says don't major in music, save that for your avocation and personal sanity later down the line and focus on the career-oriented major.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Getting afield here, but being a polymath yourself, what do you think of dual-majoring like that?  The engineer in me says don't major in music, save that for your avocation and personal sanity later down the line and focus on the career-oriented major.

I'm OK with it.  She handles her schoolwork extremely well.  As of now, she wants to get a PhD in psych and study the effects of music & the arts on depression and anxiety.  Seems like a pretty good dual major.

Of course, she'll change her mind 8 times between now and college graduation so I pretty must just nod and say "OK, peanut -- whatever you think".

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Now that you mention it, there were a couple of very wealthy guys on the freshman crew team at Johns Hopkins when I was on it.  One was part of the Heinz family, another of the Vlasic family as well.  

Please, please tell me that one of them was named Rick.

Pickle Rick!!!!

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So my tiny, smart 16 YO daughter who is also cute as hell and a dancer could crew for UT?

Hell no I'm not posting pictures.  I'm already worried about her becoming a cockswain, I'm not about to advance the cause.

Then again, tuition isn't free, so . . .  wait, no.  

!remindme 2 years

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've seen and know their kind.  They are entitled, they will see themselves as the victims, and they will never change.  Their particular sins will be of a continuing and perpetual nature.

You gleaned all that from reading the indictments and a few of their emails?  Or from watching a couple of Youtube clips by an 18 year old?  

5 minutes ago, AggieFactFinder said:

You gleaned all that from reading the indictments and a few of their emails?  Or from watching a couple of Youtube clips by an 18 year old?  

The Youtube stuff was rather instructive, yes.

Her Instagram posts were entirely consistent with that.

The fact that they paid $500k to cheat their way into college is also a persuasive piece of evidence, so, yeah, a detailed Federal criminal indictment is something I look to.

The fact that she was partying on a billionaire's yacht when her mother was turning herself into the Feds also isn't a great look.

I'm sure there's more.  None of it good for them.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The Youtube stuff was rather instructive, yes.

Her Instagram posts were entirely consistent with that.

The fact that they paid $500k to cheat their way into college is also a persuasive piece of evidence, so, yeah, a detailed Federal criminal indictment is something I look to.

The fact that she was partying on a billionaire's yacht when her mother was turning herself into the Feds also isn't a great look.

I'm sure there's more.  None of it good for them.

That's quite the list of data points! How many does it take to qualify for "their kind"?  Two famous people who until this week lived decades in the public eye without a whiff of scandal (as far as I know) raised a spoiled teenager and broke the law to get her and her sister into USC.  What the parents did was illegal and immoral and I assume they will be punished.  Going from there to "oh I know their kind and trust me they're perpetual sinners who can't change and see themselves as victims"?  Nope, not based on what's known so far.

That's quite the list of data points! How many does it take to qualify for "their kind"?  Two famous people who until this week lived decades in the public eye without a whiff of scandal (as far as I know) raised a spoiled teenager and broke the law to get her and her sister into USC.  What the parents did was illegal and immoral and I assume they will be punished.  Going from there to "oh I know their kind and trust me they're perpetual sinners who can't change and see themselves as victims"?  Nope, not based on what's known so far.

They’re entitled shits. They’re not mysterious, and they aren’t confined to famous actresses and family. Are these seriously the first entitled shits you’ve ever met or heard of? If not...how many of those entitled shits ever changed their ways when they faced any measure of consequences? In my experience, that number remains pegged at zero.

Seems kind of like you’re demonizing and dehumanizing and othering them and whatever you’re all hung up on on a different diatribe.

Nah. They’re very human. Who committed individual, specific acts. It’s about what they did, which tells us who they are.

Good try, though. Wait...no it wasn’t. It was weak shit.

Judgey brisket is judgey!

(I'm giving you shit, they certainly seem to have raised a vapid child, at least they're concerned about the appearance of education, if theyre going about it in the worst way possible).

I find it kind of interesting that these defendants seem to be rather minor-league or d-list type celebretards.  With a few exceptions, they didn't seem to work very hard for their celebrity or wealth, certainly not by education.  And it's not just the amount of wealth, but maybe the "nouveau-ness" of it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

As noted above, Singer was the rat. When the Feds told him he was under surveillance, he gave six families the heads-up. I don't know much about this kinda thing, but that seems like a VERY bad idea. You'll just get the Feds that much further up your but.

From Thursday's WSJ:

5cfce06aa8b7f1d7f541d06ccf348a8f.jpg

7 hours ago, pacman said:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ucla-admissions-soccer-recruit-20190319-story.html

One of the top women's soccer programs in the nation...one would think they would stick to the lesser known sports for this bs

This is one of the cases where the student is just as complicit as the parents and should be charged. 

One of my daughter’s HS teammates claims on her college bio that she was first team all-state when she didn’t even play because of a knee injury. She didn’t make honorable mention her junior year, either. This isn’t on the same level as the Singer scandal, but kids will lie with impunity. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2