Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

14 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I have wondered this also.  I know 2 families from Dallas who each have 2 kids currently at USC.  All four of the kids are relatively smart but nothing out of the ordinary.  I have always figured that moderate grades and the ability to write a healthy check would meet the 'stringent' USC admission standards.  I have also assumed that being famous, or from a famous family, would go a long way toward admission.  That 500k seems like it could have just been legitimately offered to the USC development office with a comment to the USC representative that they have a daughter who has applied and they are really excited for her to attend and it would have been taken care of.  Just seems unnecessary to have gone down this path for USC.  I'm guessing the girls are dumb as a box of rocks, maybe they just don't test well. ha ha.  Even with that, I think they could have easily gotten them accepted with a legitimate gift to USC and a quick conversation.

I don't think $500k would be enough as a straight donation to get into USC when the student is that unqualified. 

17 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I heard a story about a girl who got into UT (she wasn't Loughlin's kid level of stupid, but she wasn't too bright) because her parents wrote a check a bit north of $1 million. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if USC took more. 

But who knows?

can I use all or part of the Texas Tomorrow fund for my kid as a bribe to get them into UT?  I was not sure how they translated credit hour units into straight cash (homey)..

They may have just paid 500K because they didn't know better.  The main guy in this throws out that number, thinking they will counter with 50K, but they agree to 500K. Or perhaps the crew coach understood the risk he/she was taking and wanted to get paid.

I guess bribing the SAT proctor is much cheaper. 

Offer me 4 months in jail when I'm caught red-handed, it might be better to accept that. Start jail ASAP so it's over ASAP.   And a hollywood star will do some pretty easy time.  However offer me 2 years, and I can see fighting that one. What's the risk of fighting the 2 year deal? 5? 10 years? 

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It could lead to no reduced entry standards for athletes.  Lots of good with that and a lot of bad for high entry requirement schools like Texas.

90% of Alabama's football team couldn't get into Alabama with no reduced standards much less Texas.  

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

From all appearances, the Loughlin daughter is as dumb as a post, so yeah, I can see $500k being the going rate for that level of stupidity.

Really. That girl is dumb.

And apparently Olivia Jade is furious with her parents and blames them for "ruining her life."  Stupid little bitch.

TMZ:

10:35 AM PT -- Well, prosecutors did exactly what we reported early Tuesday morning. Since Lori did not cop a plea, the U.S. Attorney went to a Federal Grand Jury to get an indictment, adding charges of money laundering. This now DRASTICALLY increases the amount of time Lori and her husband would get as a minimum recommended sentence.

Specifically, the U.S. Attorney says, Lori, her husband and 14 others will now be charged with the additional crime of "conspiring to launder the bribes and other payment in furtherance of the fraud by funneling them through [Rick] Singer's purported charity and his for-profit corporation."

The money laundering charge alone carries a maximum of 20 years in prison.

This means if Lori and her husband now want to plea bargain their cases, instead of a minimum range of 2 to 2 and a half years in prison ... prosecutors would recommend to the judge a MINIMUM RANGE OF 4 YEARS AND 9 MONTHS UP TO 5 YEARS AND 11 MONTHS.

There's also a very technical rub. Theoretically by charging CONSPIRACY to money launder, the minimum sentence could go even higher -- way higher.

Short story ... prosecutors are out for blood.

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

when you start to consider this and other non-violent crimes, it really tears at your perception of the purpose of incarceration in our justice system.

The only reason any of this makes any sense is that poors and browns get worse for the same or less every day.  That's appalling.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Deterrence seems a pretty good thing, and if there were no strong possibility of a heavy penally it would be more widespread IMO.

While the criminal justice system as a whole provides some deterrent effect, a key question for policy development regards whether enhanced sanctions or an enhanced possibility of being apprehended provide any additional deterrent benefits. Research to date generally indicates that increases in the certainty of punishment, as opposed to the severity of punishment, are more likely to produce deterrent benefits. This briefing paper provides an overview of criminological research on these relative impacts as a guide to inform future policy consideration.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Deterrence-in-Criminal-Justice.pdf

One of dozens of papers over the last couple of decades that indicate increased sentences have little or no deterrent effect.  Far more people think they won't get caught than worry about the punishment if they do.  Makes perfect sense.

The other interesting facet is that criminalizing previously legal behavior has the most detectable deterrent effect.  In this case, it is likely that it never occurred to any of these knobs that they could get in criminal trouble for this, so the simple fact that they are being prosecuted will maximize the deterrent effect.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ:

10:35 AM PT -- Well, prosecutors did exactly what we reported early Tuesday morning. Since Lori did not cop a plea, the U.S. Attorney went to a Federal Grand Jury to get an indictment, adding charges of money laundering. This now DRASTICALLY increases the amount of time Lori and her husband would get as a minimum recommended sentence.

Specifically, the U.S. Attorney says, Lori, her husband and 14 others will now be charged with the additional crime of "conspiring to launder the bribes and other payment in furtherance of the fraud by funneling them through [Rick] Singer's purported charity and his for-profit corporation."

The money laundering charge alone carries a maximum of 20 years in prison.

This means if Lori and her husband now want to plea bargain their cases, instead of a minimum range of 2 to 2 and a half years in prison ... prosecutors would recommend to the judge a MINIMUM RANGE OF 4 YEARS AND 9 MONTHS UP TO 5 YEARS AND 11 MONTHS.

There's also a very technical rub. Theoretically by charging CONSPIRACY to money launder, the minimum sentence could go even higher -- way higher.

Short story ... prosecutors are out for blood.

This shit's getting wild.

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

I heard a story about a girl who got into UT (she wasn't Loughlin's kid level of stupid, but she wasn't too bright) because her parents wrote a check a bit north of $1 million. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if USC took more. 

But who knows?

But is she has hot as Loughlin's daughter? 

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

While the criminal justice system as a whole provides some deterrent effect, a key question for policy development regards whether enhanced sanctions or an enhanced possibility of being apprehended provide any additional deterrent benefits. Research to date generally indicates that increases in the certainty of punishment, as opposed to the severity of punishment, are more likely to produce deterrent benefits. This briefing paper provides an overview of criminological research on these relative impacts as a guide to inform future policy consideration.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Deterrence-in-Criminal-Justice.pdf

One of dozens of papers over the last couple of decades that indicate increased sentences have little or no deterrent effect.  Far more people think they won't get caught than worry about the punishment if they do.  Makes perfect sense.

The other interesting facet is that criminalizing previously legal behavior has the most detectable deterrent effect.  In this case, it is likely that it never occurred to any of these knobs that they could get in criminal trouble for this, so the simple fact that they are being prosecuted will maximize the deterrent effect.

Pictures and publicity of famous people going to jail for it increases the perceived certainty of punishment this is discussing for other people.

I'm not arguing in favor of long-term sentences, but Loughlin getting a long sentence would increase publicity which would in turn increase other people's perception of the certainty that they would be punished if they did this in the future. Doesn't make it right, but there is a logical argument that a lengthy prison sentence for the famous people who have been indicted would increase the deterrent effect.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The only reason any of this makes any sense is that poors and browns get worse for the same or less every day.  That's appalling.

Poors and browns get worse [sentences] for the same [bribing their way into college] or less [half bribes?] every day?  It seems like that should be part of the storylines (i.e., that poors and browns are also bribing exam proctors and college coaches and admission counselors and receiving harsher sentences on a daily basis).  Media is really missing a big part of the story.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Seems like their attorneys should have known better or had some discourse with the prosecutors. Weird

Attorneys get to bill more for a trial than a plea, yes?  Their clients have a ton of money but no sense, yes?  

Sounds like the lawyer knows a sucker when he’s got one. 

I admit I'm a bit of a dumbass, but if you asked me a month ago if bribing a college official to get into a private school was a crime, I'd have said no. Same for cheating on a college entrance exam.  Certainty morally reprehensible, but nothing illegal- kind of like cheering for OU.

I wonder how many of these people actually knew they were doing something illegal?  Obviously,  ignorance of the law is no excuse, but you've got to think that from a deterrence angle the mere fact that people now know it's a crime goes a long way to avoiding repeat episodes. That, plus the public shaming which is what is really hurting most of these arrogant assholes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I admit I'm a bit of a dumbass, but if you asked me a month ago if bribing a college official to get into a private school was a crime, I'd have said no. Same for cheating on a college entrance exam.  Certainty morally reprehensible, but nothing illegal- kind of like cheering for OU.

I wonder how many of these people actually knew they were doing something illegal?  Obviously,  ignorance of the law is no excuse, but you've got to think that from a deterrence angle the mere fact that people now know it's a crime goes a long way to avoiding repeat episodes. That, plus the public shaming which is what is really hurting most of these arrogant assholes.

It seems that what is really fucking them in the ass is the fact that they wrote the whole thing off as a charitable donation to a bullshit charity. Now the Feds have them on the hook for money laundering. A simple briefcase full of cash would have eliminated most of their problems.