Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

On 4/26/2019 at 7:41 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

This fucking defense line would be legit if these 2 idiots hadnt  done some obviously stupid shit like paying $15,000 for someone in Houston to TAKE THE ACT FOR THE GIRLS, and then had the girls pose for pictures on rowing crew boats, and you refused to let your daughters fill out their own application....

Those are  3 fucking obvious moments that your $500,000 "donation" is not a donation to the school anymore but is a way to get your borederline moronic offspring into the school.

I dont care what kind of consultant you hired, theres no way you didnt think something was way off when you gave all your daughters information to some clown in Houston (when you live in L.A.), and afterwards, your daughter suddenly has a high level ACT score taken in the Houston area.

Even if you wanted to claim complete innocence, no matter how much test prep you paid for, your fucking kids still have the take the god damned SAT/ACT themselves, and the fact that you knew they didnt take the test, proves you were in the scam.   even if the consultant lied to you

giphy.gif

55 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The only thing she “misunderstood” from the evil man was that she could get jail time. 

She knew her kids couldn’t row the boat, didn’t take the tests and that the $500k bribe wasn’t a tax deduction. Her ignorance was only that her actions may have real consequences. Her arrogance tells her she can pay her way out. 

What I find funny is she is basically saying "we are sooooo fucking stupid, like next fucking level stupid and that is why this happened to us". 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not saying that, but when the feds get involved you'd be wise take it seriously, BS or not. Seems the prudent thing to do.  

Just sitting around fishing trip campfires with a few of these guys, and you get the sense they are serious when they come after you, and have done their homework (my personal experiences with what I've heard only).

I haven't really taken a position that she was committing a crime, but based on Huffman admitting guilt it sure looks that way (if the charges are similar).  Maybe they just see her as an great target ala Bonfire Of The Vanities.

Oh yeah. Feds whole deal is they come for you hard. Usually smart, competent, likable dudes that don’t give a fuck if you’re in their crosshairs and will put the screws to you, your family or uninvolved acquaintances and have no problem turning your life upside down and shaking the shit out of it to see what falls out. 

I liken them to friendly vets who have no problem putting down 10 beloved family pets and a horse trackside before going to lunch like nothing happened.

In case anyone on here is not aware, if you walk into your office and the Feds are there then play ball. 

30 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Oh yeah. Feds whole deal is they come for you hard. Usually smart, competent, likable dudes that don’t give a fuck if you’re in their crosshairs and will put the screws to you, your family or uninvolved acquaintances and have no problem turning your life upside down and shaking the shit out of it to see what falls out. 

I liken them to friendly vets who have no problem putting down 10 beloved family pets and a horse trackside before going to lunch like nothing happened.

In case anyone on here is not aware, if you walk into your office and the Feds are there then play ball. 

Yep one of our fishing buds/ fed prosecutor is a West Texas boy. He's about the nicest guy you'd meet.   I would not want him coming at me. He's all, aw shucks, and Grinnin' like a crocodile while he eats your ass.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Just what sentient human doesn't understand that paying someone to take their kids ACT/ SAT is wrong, and more than likely illegal.

Were the Full House mom and her husband also accused of paying someone to take or change the SAT test? Or did they just indirectly bribe the school?

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Were the Full House mom and her husband also accused of paying someone to take or change the SAT test? Or did they just indirectly bribe the school?

No, that was Felicity Huffman (who has already pled guilty)

Loughlin and her husband are charged with paying $500K to a fake charity to get their two daughters into USC as fake rowing recruits. (which would allow them to not have to go through the normal application and acceptance process to get into the school.  I don't know the full details but assume the ring leader had a deal with certain non revenue coaches to pay them to add fake recruits to their team. 

The coaches would then tell their Athletic Department contacts that these students were recruits which would give them a free pass through the normal application process. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

On the surface 15k vs 500k seems to make the Loughlin crime much worse, but to me cheating on the SAT is heinous than bribing whoever at a private university.  That's ignoring the charity/tax angle though.

Agree with this. The SAT/ACT set themselves up as an objective method to measure knowledge. None of us would be naive to say that no one ever cheats on it, but this incident showed how someone could systemically cheat the system from arranging long test sessions all the way to someone else taking the test.  If this system can be rigged, schools should make noise that they're going to stop accepting the scores.  

Bribing individual schools or administrators is a crime as well, but I feel that is a one off problem. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Although it doesn't translate directly, this to me is sort of their defense:
hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4

"Your Honor, my clients, well, they just got soooooo confused in this complicated procedure, you know, they're not lawyers, it all just got 'out of hand'!  They're the victims here!"

<hopefully judge:  "Fuck off, counselor.">

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought they paid somebody to take the SAT/ACT.  If it was just a bribe to a private school I'd say the feds have bigger fish to fry.  Having pictures taken of her in a crew shell was pretty fucking low IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I thought they paid somebody to take the SAT/ACT.  If it was just a bribe to a private school I'd say the feds have bigger fish to fry.  Having pictures taken of her in a crew shell was pretty fucking low IMO. 

As @JimmyHoffa says above I think Lori and husband just paid school thru the fixer.  Others rigged the SAT/ACT in the following ways:

• found doctors to diagnose the student as needing more time to take the test (maybe not against the rules but shaky)
  • changing SAT answers after the test
  • in at least one case, someone else took the test for the student. I don't gather this occurred often as this creates a lot of risk for everyone involved.

I assume somebody explained the ‘any act in furtherance of a conspiracy ‘ evidence hurdle.

Which is about two inches off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Government has a mountain of evidence that you knew what you were doing was wrong and they offer you a rather sweetheart deal.  You turn it down and your defense is "But we're dumb!"

2b02ewx.jpg

It does further their defense, wouldn’t you say?

but there’s a difference between pleading ignorance and asking for mercy, and pleading ignorance and demanding absolution. 

I’m interested in seeing what the feds can prove they knew, or what they did such that common sense tells you they knew. 

Is there a legal angle in terms of fraud?  It seems to me that, given a finite # of slots available at a given school, if you cheat the system you are depriving another student of their opportunity to attend the school.  Hell, you're cheating the school, too, at least if we assume your kid is a dumbass.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there a legal angle in terms of fraud?  It seems to me that, given a finite # of slots available at a given school, if you cheat the system you are depriving another student of their opportunity to attend the school.  Hell, you're cheating the school, too, at least if we assume your kid is a dumbass.

In a state supported school I'd say yes, but this is a private school and they can take who they want. But yeah some kid who is more deserving is getting fucked, which sucks.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Every time I see that username I read it as CHEF DIESEL, which may or may not be a great name for a chef.  

raekwon.jpg

Raekwon Chef Diesel from the Clan of Wu Tang. One of my favorite photos turned pencil sketch preparing a tasty meal of bluegill of all things.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep one of our fishing buds/ fed prosecutor is a West Texas boy. He's about the nicest guy you'd meet.   I would not want him coming at me. He's all, aw shucks, and Grinnin' like a crocodile while he eats your ass.

Like most LEO, they are quite convinced that they are doing God's work.  And therein lies the problem.

Even if you're sporting a Doctor of Divinity and passing out loaves and fishes, it might behoove you to question yourself occasionally.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Prison should largely be limited to violent criminals.  

ok, it's finally happened. i agree with johnny sack. this is proof that anyone can find common ground.

we should move to a swedish type system.

https://www.mic.com/articles/109138/sweden-has-done-for-its-prisoners-what-the-u-s-won-t

"Open" prisons: Even more remarkable than this is the use of "open prisons" in the region. Prisoners at open prisons stay in housing that often resembles college dorms, have access to accessories such as televisions and sound systems and are able to commute to a job and visit families while electronically monitored. Prisoners and staff eat together in the community spaces built throughout the prison. None are expected to wear uniforms.

Larson contends that open prison punishments can be more effective than closed prison punishments in that they don't distract the prisoner from the misdeeds that brought them there, as harsh American prisons often do:

"Imagine living on ... knowing every minute of every day, that this is not your home, these people are not your family, your friends, your children, and you are always one misstep from a cell in a closed prison. You have strict curfews. In town you carry an electronic anklet. Yet nothing here feels unfair or unreasonable. You have, after all, committed a crime serious enough to make a range of other remedies untenable. Nothing you can see or touch or smell or taste, and no interaction with staff gives you anything to blame or resent about the system that brought you here."

Larson's depiction of open prisons as carving out space for purer reflection and remorse is fascinating — and undoubtedly alarming to supporters of the American model of incarceration.

Defenders of the highly punitive American prison would argue that the Nordic attitude toward prisons in general is naive in its assumption that prisoners can be treated as normal humans who can improve. Yet Nordic countries remain quite safe after allowing people who have committed the most severe crimes to spend time in them, generally for far shorter sentences than in the U.S. 

It seems that there's a self-fulfilling dimension to the way a society chooses to imprison those that it deems criminal: If you tell someone they cannot get better, they won't; if you tell someone they can, they might just have a decent shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Prison should largely be limited to violent criminals.  

Yeah that would pretty much guarantee many more scam artists, white collar criminals, and burglaries.  Prison is THE one thing that deters a large segment of the population from committing crimes.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that would pretty much guarantee more scam artists, white collar criminals, and burglaries would crop up.  Prison is one thing that deters a large segment of the population from committing crimes.

Confiscate what they stole and repay victims. Make them work while living in an open prison where every dime they make goes to victims.  If they refuse, they can go to a prison and be warehoused with the violent.  

We have way too many people in prison.  

I envision it more like an indentured servitude type thing.  Until their debt to society is paid.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Confiscate what they stole and repay victims. Make them work while living in an open prison where every dime they make goes to victims.  If they refuse, they can go to a prison and be warehoused with the violent.  

That's just semantics, as your solution mentions "open prisons". If your suggestion is really prison reform, I agree. But if the only penalty for fucking people over with white collar crime is to return the money you obtained illegally, there is no real disincentive to commit the crime.

Just now, Blotto said:

That's just semantics, as your solution mentions "open prisons". If your suggestion is really prison reform, I agree. But if the only penalty for fucking people over with white collar crime is to return the money you obtained illegally, there is no real disincentive to commit the crime.

Not just return.  Pay it back plus fines and shit that are punitive.  As well as court costs and other costs.  Basically take everything they make until debt is paid.  

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I envision it more like an indentured servitude type thing.  Until their debt to society is paid.  

That just doesn't happen.  The big scammers live off the dollars they scam, and people are lucky to get pennies on the dollar back.  I agree we have too many people in prison, legalize weed,  parole all the people who got caught with it, and you'll cut prison population down greatly.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

That just doesn't happen.  The big scammers live off the dollars they scam, and people are lucky to get pennies on the dollar back.  I agree we have too many people in prison, legalize weed,  parole all the people who got caught with it, and you'll cut prison population down greatly.

I’d legalize all drugs.  Most drug offenders in prisons aren’t there for weed. 

• Like 2

Here is a pretty good article on the whole issue from the perspective of a college counselor and former English teacher at Harvard-Westlake and the parents she had to deal with.  fwiw, I went there (when it was just a boys only Harvard School) for 7-9th grades, so I knows these types well.  And I assure you no way anyone ever thought in a million years prison would have been a potential outcome.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/what-college-admissions-scandal-reveals/586468/

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Make them be the butler for the aggrieved!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Here is a pretty good article on the whole issue from the perspective of a college counselor and former English teacher at Harvard-Westlake and the parents she had to deal with.  fwiw, I went there (when it was just a boys only Harvard School) for 7-9th grades, so I knows these types well.  And I assure you no way anyone ever thought in a million years prison would have been a potential outcome.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/what-college-admissions-scandal-reveals/586468/

If they did, they might not have done it. 

46 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Pretty interesting read.  I'm not sure I agree with all her observations, but she's definitely given us an ugly behind the scene look at some very rich folks, and their sense of entitlement, who also seem to have an apparent utter lack of parental skills.

Lori Loughlin believes she “doesn’t deserve” jail time for her alleged role in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, a source tells ET.

The Fuller House star and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, are accused of paying $500,000 in bribes to get their daughters, 19-year-old Olivia and 20-year-old Bella, admitted to the University of Southern California, as recruits for the crew team, even though neither of them participated in the sport. They both entered not guilty pleas in April.

“Lori’s situation has gone from bad to worse,” a source close to the actress tells ET. “Jail time has always been a possibility, but since more charges were filed her reality [of not serving time] seems grim. While the fact she could serve time never leaves her mind, she strongly believes she doesn’t deserve to. She truly feels it was all a misunderstanding."

Making matters worse, Olivia is now reluctant to listen to her parents, according to the source.

“Olivia Jade is totally over it and won’t listen to anything her parents say now,” the source says. “She is in no way ready to forgive anything her parents have done. Lori doesn’t understand Olivia’s reaction. She seems to feel her act was selfless and misunderstood and she wants to prove she had all the best intentions and even that she was, in some way, duped into breaking the law.

The source adds that Loughlin thought Olivia would have forgiven her by now and that the two have attended therapy to help save their relationship.

“Lori felt at this point her daughter would come around and forgive her,” the source says. “They have gone to therapy in hopes things would improve, but it doesn’t seem that that’s happened. Olivia is still not talking to her mother because she’s hurt and feels betrayed.”

She feels this could have all been avoided had her mother listened to her when she expressed she wasn’t interested in going to college,” the source continues. “The fact she has lost her business deals and can’t go out in public without being photographed and scrutinized is a constant reminder of what her mother has done.”

Meanwhile, the former When Calls the Heart actress’ friends are hoping that she admits some guilt in the case. They continue to stand by her as court proceedings unfold.

“[Lori’s] children and most of her friends aren’t entirely convinced this was some kind of a mistake,” the source explains. “They know she is a loving mother who only wants the best for her kids, but they also know she needs to face that what she did was unlawful and [how it ]has affected not only her children, but also many others. Her friends want her to rethink her plan for the case and admit some sort of guilt. Her closest friends have stuck by her despite her huge mistake.”

How could anyone assume that this woman is arrogant?  She's selfless and misunderstood.

On 5/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Brisketexan said:

Could y'all stop updating this with posts that AREN'T "Lori Loughlin has given up and will get naked for money?"  I mean, I'm pretty sure that's what the mob is waiting for.

she could go into MILF porn and probably become a billionaire 

On 5/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that would pretty much guarantee many more scam artists, white collar criminals, and burglaries.  Prison is THE one thing that deters a large segment of the population from committing crimes.

Actually no it isn't.  There are countless studies that indicate that criminal punishments do not deter crime.  That was pretty well accepted when I was in law school, nearly 30 years ago.

Many criminals don't consider consequences at all, some disregard them, most don't think they'll get caught, and almost all of them are unaware of the penalty ranges for the offenses they commit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually no it isn't.  There are countless studies that indicate that criminal punishments do not deter crime.  That was pretty well accepted when I was in law school, nearly 30 years ago.

Many criminals don't consider consequences at all, some disregard them, most don't think they'll get caught, and almost all of them are unaware of the penalty ranges for the offenses they commit.

stuff i've seen is that certainty of getting caught affects rates, but not the severity of sentence.