Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

Haha, nice try to get out in front of it, Phil.  He seems like exactly the type of guy who would use Rick Singer’s company in the “off the books” way.
My first thought as well. It sure seems like he is trying to get in front of it, otherwise why mention it. Nobody is close to knowing yet.

I'm not a huge phil hater like most, but he definitely knows how to do image.

Haha, nice try to get out in front of it, Phil.  He seems like exactly the type of guy who would use Rick Singer’s company in the “off the books” way.

Joe Montana did the same thing as Phil. Sounds like Singer had thousands of clients, many of which are rich and famous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/03/13/massachusetts-resident-accused-admissions-scandal/KhNLVsn8PtUk1kY6tBil4H/story.html

Ha, I know this guy.  He’s such an arrogant twat and doesn’t really surprise me.

I’m not a lawyer but structuring your college bribes as business expenses might be frowned upon by the irs. But I’m only speculating.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Arizona State is taking a beating on this

their applications will probably be up 800% from upper middle class kids that just want to party though

and lets face it with 83,544 students between their campuses and 53,000+ at the main one they will take all the applications they can get

john not-so-sharp is really going to have to groom the sheep to keep from losing potential good aggs to ASU

11 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ:

Lori Loughlin's daughters are not letting USC decide their fate, because they will NOT be returning to the University for fear of bullying ... sources connected to both daughters tell TMZ.

We're told 19-year-old Olivia and 20-year-old Isabella have made the decision to withdraw from the University. Our sources say they have the full support of their parents, Lori and Mossimo Giannulli, both of whom have been indicted in the college bribery scandal.

Our sources say the family feels certain, if the girls went back to USC, they would be "viciously bullied." So, the decision has been made.

As we reported, the indictment claims Lori and Mossimo paid $500,000 to have their daughters designated as recruits for the crew team at USC ... despite the fact they did not actually participate in crew. Mossimo allegedly sent action photos of their daughters on rowing machines to Rick Singer, the ringleader of the alleged scam, and he presumably sent them on to USC.

We're told Olivia and Isabella never really wanted to go to USC. Our sources say they liked the concept of school principally because of partying, and had their sights set on Arizona State University. That's why Mossimo sent an email saying he wanted to get his daughters "into a school other than ASU!"

Our sources say Olivia in particular "is a mess, despondent and feeling like it's the end of the world."

We're told Olivia and Isabella will "lay low" and not try and enroll in another school ... at least not for a long while.

Preemptive self-victimization ftw.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FIF accuracy.

They didn’t get a moral compass. This is the perfect excuse for them to leave school forever, which they always wanted. Now they can focus on their careers as social butterflies in the Hollywood community, who absolutely will not judge them and will sympathize with the trauma of the whole ordeal on them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ:

Lori Loughlin's daughters are not letting USC decide their fate, because they will NOT be returning to the University for fear of bullying ... sources connected to both daughters tell TMZ.

We're told 19-year-old Olivia and 20-year-old Isabella have made the decision to withdraw from the University. Our sources say they have the full support of their parents, Lori and Mossimo Giannulli, both of whom have been indicted in the college bribery scandal.

Our sources say the family feels certain, if the girls went back to USC, they would be "viciously bullied." So, the decision has been made.

As we reported, the indictment claims Lori and Mossimo paid $500,000 to have their daughters designated as recruits for the crew team at USC ... despite the fact they did not actually participate in crew. Mossimo allegedly sent action photos of their daughters on rowing machines to Rick Singer, the ringleader of the alleged scam, and he presumably sent them on to USC.

We're told Olivia and Isabella never really wanted to go to USC. Our sources say they liked the concept of school principally because of partying, and had their sights set on Arizona State University. That's why Mossimo sent an email saying he wanted to get his daughters "into a school other than ASU!"

Our sources say Olivia in particular "is a mess, despondent and feeling like it's the end of the world."

We're told Olivia and Isabella will "lay low" and not try and enroll in another school ... at least not for a long while.

What shitty people.  

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

We need to revive the old 3:16 "model/actress/whore" or m/a/w.  It seems to fit most of these social media twats.

And is it really "bullying" if you are a) an adult and b) deserve it?

I'm not a lawyer, but isn't it a tenat of Bullying Law that "Its not bullying if its true"?

14 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

You’d think the girls could have at least showed up to the Crew dock and rowed the boat around the lake a few times, showed a give a shit attitude, and gotten kicked off the row team, then eveything is legit, right?

Why would they do that? Apparently any "athlete" can use athletics to get admitted and then they never have to show up to practice to retain the admittance. If there is a scholarship, they can lose that by not showing up, but it doesn't affect their standing at the school. It's actually a pretty good scam.

Outside of bribes, I bet its not uncommon for coaches to do this for free for friends and family. That wouldn't be illegal. You might lose your job but you wouldn't get arrested.

Wait, I'm behind.  Singer was working with the Feds on this towards the end?

I don't know why but this kind of thing kinda pisses me off.  He was more than happy to take a shit ton of money, but once the switch got flipped, sure, why not help bring all my clients down?  As someone said, "no honor among thieves", and I get it, but still, just shut up and do your time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

You’d think the girls could have at least showed up to the Crew dock and rowed the boat around the lake a few times, showed a give a shit attitude, and gotten kicked off the row team, then eveything is legit, right?

that only works if the kids were complicit in the fraud.  The released information so far shows that many times the parents were actively trying to hide the fraud from the kids.  In fact there is a whole conversation with CW1 who flat out tells the parents the kid wont know if they do A,B,C.

Im not naive enough to not think at least a few of these kids figured out their acceptance was bullshit, especially any that had to actively act/resign from a sports team.

But the richness of these kids means their acceptance notice would have seemed normal. They live in a world of privilege and they would not have been wrong in assuming mommy/daddy had paid legal bribe money to the school to get them in.  Most didnt realize until Tuesday that it was illegal bribe money.

16 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Just saw Lori Laughlin is out on 1 Million in bail.  

Admittedly, I am not following this in depth, but how the fuck is the bail for paying bribes to get your kids into college 1 million dollars? 

Username checks out.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know why but this kind of thing kinda pisses me off.  He was more than happy to take a shit ton of money, but once the switch got flipped, sure, why not help bring all my clients down?  As someone said, "no honor among thieves", and I get it, but still, just shut up and do your time.

I agree. There is something extra shady when the main criminal recruits others into the scam while wearing a wire. I recall reading that he may have tipped off some people to shut up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

that only works if the kids were complicit in the fraud.  The released information so far shows that many times the parents were actively trying to hide the fraud from the kids.  In fact there is a whole conversation with CW1 who flat out tells the parents the kid wont know if they do A,B,C.

Im not naive enough to not think at least a few of these kids figured out their acceptance was bullshit, especially any that had to actively act/resign from a sports team.

But the richness of these kids means their acceptance notice would have seemed normal. They live in a world of privilege and they would not have been wrong in assuming mommy/daddy had paid legal bribe money to the school to get them in.  Most didnt realize until Tuesday that it was illegal bribe money.

Exactly. Some of these kids come from a world where strange behavior is normal because it opens door. Remember a couple of years ago when it was discovered that rich parents were hiring disabled people to come with them to Disney World to get preferential treatment. How strange would be to take a stranger on vacation to get first in line.

Would it be weird for the same kid to get an invite to athlete-student orientation instead of student orientation? Either 1 skip it, or 2 just say you're a walk-on tennis player (or whatever)

I'm not a lawyer, but isn't it a tenat of Bullying Law that "Its not bullying if its true"?

Nah. Bullying is actually most often done about things that are true (poor family, fat kid, etc.).

These kids are exempt from claiming bullying because they actually did something really shitty. The kids who had no idea shouldn't be bullied, though.

For the record I know there's no evidence that Loughlin's kid knew but I'm still not sure I 100% believe she hasn't figured it out.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

For the record I know there's no evidence that Loughlin's kid knew but I'm still not sure I 100% believe she hasn't figured it out.

So you mean she may have figured it out?

Based on the evidence, you might be giving her intellect too much benefit of the doubt.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm with you.  All this investigation by indictment and use of informants of various stripes bugs me at some level.  It's unrealistic to ban it totally, but it stinks really badly.

5 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

It does raise a question of where the line is drawn between just shaming and unjust bullying.

I think it's more the kids are embarrassed to be around their peers, who correctly got into school.

It's interesting that the one daughter was hanging out on that yacht with the daughter of one of the USC trustees. Is the trustee's daughter also in USC, and how did she get in? I don't have a problem if a school allows for admittance exceptions or legacies but the school admins should be aware of who is and isn't the exception.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My comment was mostly tongue in cheek.  I don't endorse bullying, even if it's by adults and to people who may deserve it.

I do endorse it....so long as it's on the right side of the line.

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

Loughlin and her kids just got dropped by endorsement companies. Ouch.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lori-loughlin-s-daughter-olivia-jade-loses-sephora-partnership-wake-n983331

Like this -- this is a good result.

9 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

It does raise a question of where the line is drawn between just shaming and unjust bullying.

And this is where the line is drawn.

Facing shame and consequences and shunning from decent and ethical society is a good thing.  It's how a society enforces basic modicums of behavior.  Should the Louglin crew have eggs thrown at them when walking down the street?  No.  But should they lose all of their "brand power," and should people refuse to associate with them?  Hell yes.

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree. There is something extra shady when the main criminal recruits others into the scam while wearing a wire. I recall reading that he may have tipped off some people to shut up.

Also seems like they are doing it backward. Don’t they normally wire the “little guy”,offering leniency in exchange for information useful in nabbing the kingpin?  It seems like the the kingpin is hoping for leniency by helping the Feds nab the “little guys.”  I have no sympathy for the problems of celebrity, but it seems like there’s a little “dog and pony show” going on here. Million dollar bail suggests that as well. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Facing shame and consequences and shunning from decent and ethical society is a good thing.  It's how a society enforces basic modicums of behavior.  Should the Louglin crew have eggs thrown at them when walking down the street?  No.  But should they lose all of their "brand power," and should people refuse to associate with them?  Hell yes.

100% agree. The challenge is that, in efforts to address important topics like microagressions (real), we've defaulted to "if it hurts my feelings, it's bullying".

And I speak as a university administrator who had to talk with students about how their continued receipt of low grades from one professor was due to lack of their grasp of the material, not because the professor "was a bully". Oh, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

• Like 1

Rich people out here wildin'. You're already fucking rich! Just send your little dumbass to Cal State - Whatever where they belong. The fuck do they need to go to Yale for?

Curious to see how well they did to stay at these schools or was it the result of grade inflation?

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Also seems like they are doing it backward. Don’t they normally wire the “little guy”,offering leniency in exchange for information useful in nabbing the kingpin?  It seems like the the kingpin is hoping for leniency by helping the Feds nab the “little guys.”  I have no sympathy for the problems of celebrity, but it seems like there’s a little “dog and pony show” going on here. Million dollar bail suggests that as well. 

I think this is the opposite of the normal criminal enterprise you are analogizing to.  He hub is a smaller person and the spokes are the powerful.  If you want to have a bigger effect of general deterrence you need to deter those with power.  

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think this is the opposite of the normal criminal enterprise you are analogizing to.  He hub is a smaller person and the spokes are the powerful.  If you want to have a bigger effect of general deterrence you need to deter those with power.  

Seems reasonable. I think they should go after whomevers actions are the most criminal, not who holds the highest stature in society. I’m sure the guy at the center of this will get bent over pretty hard whether he cooperates or not however. 

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I do endorse it....so long as it's on the right side of the line.

Like this -- this is a good result.

And this is where the line is drawn.

I've had to give this some thought.  Public shaming, such as this, is ok, it's certainly the First Amendment right of the shamer to do it without legal consequence.  But giving someone personal shit just because you now have an excuse to, more the classic bullyiing, outside any real public forum, is just shitty behavior.

I'm not sure personal shunning is "right" either.  It's a personal prerogative of the shunner to some extent, but it also is used to justify refusal to hire felons, for example.

We are more than our sins.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Seems reasonable. I think they should go after whomevers actions are the most criminal, not who holds the highest stature in society. I’m sure the guy at the center of this will get bent over pretty hard whether he cooperates or not however. 

This little colloquy demonstrates how difficult it is to judge "criminality" or "culpability," and a fallacy that I think often gets applied in sentencing people of "high stature."  They are often cut breaks because of their lack of criminal record, previous contribution to society, etc.  But I would counter that from whom much is given, much should be asked and also that poor people starving or operating under drug addiction or other mental infirmities may be less culpable than a rich, powrerful person that commits an arguably lesser crime.

In other words, is it not more forgivable for a poor person to make a bad decision relating to their poverty than for a comfortable person to make a bad decision relating to something relatively trivial?

Edited by TwiceHorn

55 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I am sure part of the FBI's motivation is the headlines and large names that go with it. Nobody gives two shits about Singer, the orchestrator.

The media frenzy wants to know who has been skipping the line, not who helped them skip.

• Like 2