Beto 2020

bad_teammate

We went a whole day without a Beto post. Has Mayor Pete siphoned the Surly juice?

Well, he’s at home right now getting ready for his launch events this weekend.

I don’t expect people to be discussing him if he’s sitting on the couch resting his voice as opposed to standing on counters.

Even Beto can’t campaign non stop for two years. He’d die.
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, F250 said:

No San Antonio? What a puto.

The thing about Robert Francis is he doesn't seem to really pursue the Hispanic vote but prefers to bask in the adoration of white upper middle class America.

Beto O'Rourke is basically the Torchys Taco of Texas politics.

He’s a bitch.  More like Beta O’Rourke.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Betocare

Betonomics

International Betovention

Unmanned Betostrikes

Warrantless Betotapping

Doesn't like a bill? He'll beto it.

Those two sentences gave me cancer.

It's been nice knowing y'all.

"Betonomics would have a certain punk-rock edge," makes me embarrassed to be in Gen X.

Beto's Big Day is tomorrow.

I'm setting the O/U in downtown Austin attendance tomorrow night at 60k.

White people with socially liberal tendencies and money are gagging for this guy and Austin is the undisputed Mecca for that in the entire South/Southwest. They will show for their boy.

- Helicopter shots of crowds up and down Congress and 9th.

- The Texas Capitol behind him and crowds in Congress in front of him will create the visual image of him swearing in at the US Capitol and crowds on the National Mall.

I kind of think, and hope, Beto continues to be a distraction to R morons while Warren and Buttigieg keep moving up the polls and doing real shit.  I love Beto.  I do.  But I think he's starting to be a foil for the absolute dipshit morons to focus on.  Whatever it takes.

On 3/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, F250 said:

No San Antonio? What a puto.

The thing about Robert Francis is he doesn't seem to really pursue the Hispanic vote but prefers to bask in the adoration of white upper middle class America.

Beto O'Rourke is basically the Torchys Taco of Texas politics.

I know when I think of white upper middle class cities with no Hispanic presence, I think of El Paso.

Seriously?

On 3/26/2019 at 2:39 PM, bad_teammate said:

I don't really have a problem with the snarky "Robert Francis" thing. It's not a dog whistle for racism like "HUSSEIN!"

Also, "Beto" literally is a nickname given to him in order to make him more politically palatable among Latinos. It's why his father chose the nickname. Naming your son "Robert Francis" but giving him the nickname "Beto" is an extremely cynical ploy by a rich white man to lord power over Latinos without polluting your family with actual Latino names. Then, you know, 'ole Beto goes around to tell the poor Latino ladies why the city using eminent domain to demolish their neighborhood for some hip shopping district.

So if Latino groups were to call him "Robert Francis" I'd be fine with it and even support them. Snarky Republicans are annoying even if they have a point.

They don't have a point. He has gone by that name since he was an infant. It's his name. His parents thinking on it at the time of his birth is irrelevant. Even still, it is doubtful that they called him Beto so that other people will like him more.  It's more likely that they liked the name themselves. 

You can pick apart Beto's lack of a platform, eminent domain support, and white privilege without resorting to GOP factless attacks.

Be better.  Or since you are running with Fox attacks now, be best. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, workswithseed said:

His name is Robert Francis O'rourke. 

In project Betomania, a man has no name...

his name was Robert Francis 

his name was Robert Francis

his name was Robert Francis. 

Beto is politics for people that still talk about Fight Club influences their lives.  

16 minutes ago, F250 said:

He is from El Paso and he is holding his Grand Finale in Austin.

Let's not play dumb.

I guess I just don't see the significance.  I'm a Warren and Mayor Pete guy, so I don't really have a dog in the fight.  But there's a significant Hispanic presence in every large Texas city.  El Paso, regardless of him being from there, is a border city.  I just don't see how Beto not going to San Antonio is a slight against Hispanics.  This isn't the Texas Senate race and he's not going to be able to visit everywhere there are people.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

They don't have a point. He has gone by that name since he was an infant. It's his name. His parents thinking on it at the time of his birth is irrelevant. Even still, it is doubtful that they called him Beto so that other people will like him more.  It's more likely that they liked the name themselves. 

No, it's literally because his father wanted him to have it for a political future in El Paso.

In the backdrop of the city's multicultural community, his father, Pat O'Rourke, a consummate politician, once explained why he nicknamed his son Beto: Nicknames are common in Mexico and along the border, and if he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.

I call him "Beto" and I'm fine with that being his name. However, the origin story is absolutely instructive and meaningful, especially since his push into office was funded by wealthy Republicans who wanted him to use his charming bilingual nature to try and convince poor Latinos to not resist as their neighborhood was torn down. And he obliged. Then he primaried a Latino Democrat from the right to get the Congressional seat.

So again:

So if Latino groups were to call him "Robert Francis" I'd be fine with it and even support them. Snarky Republicans are annoying even if they have a point.

• Like 1