2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

He thinks he can win a World Series with this roster and doesn't feel the urgency we fans feel about this starting rotation. 

Speak for yourself.  I'm ok with what we have.  I'd only make a trade if the price is right.

• Like 2

I feel great about where we are right now.  This team has overcome a ton of injuries to sit atop MLB and added an offensive star from the minors along the way.  I'd feel better with another starter, but I would've felt better with several quality relievers in 2017 and that bullpen didn't stop us from winning the whole thing.  We don't have to be perfect; we just have to be better than everybody else.  And when healthy, I don't think there's any question that Houston is the most complete team in baseball.

But get another starter anyway.

59 minutes ago, WBT said:

Speak for yourself.  I'm ok with what we have.  I'd only make a trade if the price is right.

I'm ok with this team as constructed because, despite all the injuries, the results speak for themselves. I guess I'm just kinda greedy because I think that the injuries and the mistake in not bringing CM back cost this fanbase the opportunity to witness history. The lineup we ran out there today is monstrous and if we had Uncle Charlie all season and Daniella hadn't broken a rib (or we acquire MadBum  for the stretch run)  I think we could have witnessed one of the greatest teams ever assembled. 

So yeah, we can win it all as constructed. However, if we were to acquire MadBum or Thor, what do you think the percentage increase in odds to win the World Series would be? Would that increased opportunity to win now be worth Kyle Tucker or Forrest Whitley plus someone like Tony Kemp or Myles Straw and Seth Beer or Bryan Abreu?

I say yes. 

I honestly don't understand the hype surrounding Whitley he has been mostly meh other than a solid 2017.
Size, velocity, and potential. Nobody wants to be the GM who gave up on him too early only to see him blossom in another uniform.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Of course. 

But Luhnow is the guy that has the data and comparative values of all of the players. 

I always said that if we won a World Series, I’d never question or try to outguess Luhnow again. 

My dad took me to games in Colt Stadium as a little boy. I just wanted to win the World Series once before I died. 

2017 happened, and now I don’t sweat it. I want more, but I’ll trust whatever Luhnow thinks best. 

I suspect he’ll make a move that will be beneficial.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Response to 17007
  • Like 3

i still think we nab somebody tomorrow, and whomever it is, i'll trust luhnow.

funny thing is, all this hand-wringing, if mchugh had just been solid (8-6, 3.60era, 1.20whip) we're probably not even having this conversation.

i think we're fine where we are, but other teams will likely add, which means we should too.

we have the best lineup in baseball and the best 1-2 sp in baseball.  hands down.  and our bullpen is pretty ok.  keep tucker, roll the dice.  keep the window open.

• Like 1

I dreamt that we traded for Scherzer, which is crazy. But hey, we all but traded for Bryce Harper last year.

I will be stunned if we don't trade for a a starter. If Kemp isn't included in that deal, I think he brings back a bullpen arm or catcher.

He has four plus pitches.  
And he's a big Texan pitcher. Some "positive stereotyping" involved? Maybe...but because of stuff and already decent command, deservedly the best pitching prospect in baseball at the start of the season.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I don't think it would even be that much.  I think the Astros' odds to win the WS went up like 1-1.5% when they acquired Verlander in 2017.

I don't think anyone expected Verlander to completely shape shift the way he did upon arrival.  He was 6 years removed from having a sub 3.0 ERA.  Five seasons removed from being an all-star and honestly looked like he was on the downslope of his career.  Since then he has never had an ERA above 3.0 and made both all star games possible since becoming an Astro.  Anyone who claims they knew this was gonna happen is full of excrement.

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If we don't make a move today, will this deadline be more or less disappointing than July 31, 2017?

I didn’t think that we needed JV in 2017, and I was wrong. I wasn’t just wrong about what a Verlander can do for your team, but I remember the rest of the team was really down about it.  They wanted their GM busting his ass like they were.

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t make a move today. 

It will depend on what everyone else does, but generally, yes.
Right now, I like our chances against any team in the league. But they have ~7 hrs to pass us if we sit on our hands.
And those chances are predicated in a JV and Cole (and even Miley) pitching at 100% effectiveness/no injuries for another 3 months. Seems a bit risky.

17 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I don't think anyone expected Verlander to completely shape shift the way he did upon arrival.  He was 6 years removed from having a sub 3.0 ERA.  Five seasons removed from being an all-star and honestly looked like he was on the downslope of his career.  Since then he has never had an ERA above 3.0 and made both all star games possible since becoming an Astro.  Anyone who claims they knew this was gonna happen is full of excrement.

Verl had 9 of 10 QS previous to being traded in 2017.  It appeared that he had figured something out.  His ERA went from 4.96 (!) to 3.82.  Finished the year at 3.36 after being badass for us.

I’m not against a deal.  Just don’t give up top level assets for a rental.  There isn’t a Randy Johnson out there.  

We need to keep most of our top tier young and cheap talent.  Because our core group is going to cost.  A lot.  

Ummm Thor is basically a right handed carbon copy of RJ, complete with the long hair and in a walk year.

RJ thru July 1998: 9-10, 4.35 ERA, 3.55 K/BB

Thor thru July 2019: 7-5, 4.10, 3.70 K/BB

Edit: others have corrected my on Thor. that’s embarrassing... i knew that but getting all of these guys and their contracts confused.

I read “1 yr contract through 2019” on baseball reference and somehow equated that to UFA after 2019

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Ummm Thor is basically a right handed carbon copy of RJ, complete with the long hair and in a walk year.

Syndergaard isn't a free agent until 2022....

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Isn’t he under club control for 2 more years?

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If we don't make a move today, will this deadline be more or less disappointing than July 31, 2017?

more. it's right fucking there for us, give your team the best chance to win the whole fucking thing. and i'm greedy. 

This team is capable of winning the WS as constructed. They don’t *need* to make a move, at least not a big splash. I’d be surprised if they don’t add another arm given the number of injuries/struggles of young guys, but it doesn’t have to be flashy.

Id be more disappointed if they overpaid and made a bad deal solely thinking about the present to appease the Nervous Nelly types among fans. But that hasn’t ever been their MO. 

This whole one trade deadline has been very bizarre and when that happens eventually someone does something irrational that completely disrupts the normal “market forces”. Things will stabilize over time and the team that does that will be punished over time but my fear is someone goes insane giving up way too much value to push them ahead in the short term and we get stuck being really really good but not the best in 2019.

We shall see in about 6 hours

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Rosenthal reports that the Giants are interested in RR infielder Josh Rojas. If that's what it takes to get MadBum, do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Here's his Fangraphs page for those who are interested: https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa913302&position=2B

He's having a hell of season so far--136 WRC+ in 53 games in AAA. But with Altuve's extension and Diaz under control until 2023, he's effectively blocked anyway. Even if he could play SS, we have Correa until 2022. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

For the record I'd be totally cool with pulling off a Giants (2010, 2012, & 2014) with 2017, 2019, & 2021.

Let's do this

And then the strike/new CBA and we figure out how to manipulate it before everyone else too.

They’re going to be talking about the Astros with the Yankees as greatest franchise in the history of baseball by the year 2100.

With Bauer going to the Reds, I’m fine not making a huge move. Our current roster can win the WS (probably the co favorites with Dodgers).

Only caveat is if management knows Cole is gone, then it would make sense to go after Thor to replace.

That being said - I really want to keep Cole. Good dude, JV like competitor. I think he’s underrated