2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

34 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

might need 110 to get ahead of the yankees.  2 more games against TB is about all that's left of their schedule.  maybe they'll cramp up against the rangers at the end of the year in arlington. 

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

might need 110 to get ahead of the yankees.  2 more games against TB is about all that's left of their schedule.  maybe they'll cramp up against the rangers at the end of the year in arlington. 

Can you imagine the Rangers doing anything that might possibly help us in any way, shape or form? They'll tank the games for spite.

11 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Shut up Blum. It went 415’

Granted it went almost as high...but do the math on that launch angle, etc and had the stands not been there, it would have dropped 415’ from home plate.

Yeah Yordans first homer was obviously a longer hit ball.  Everyone gets caught up in the upper tank, but to the wall is only like 326.  That overhang isn't super far back from the wall.    Hell if he would have hit it where putt and me were sitting it probably would've been a longer shot, but look shorter.  

It was impressive to see none the less

Edited by Scraps
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Mike Trout is pretty much a lock to win AL MVP, but Alex Fucking Bregman should win it.   He will probably finish 2nd or 3rd.  

Next year it will be a race between him, Yordan and Trout.  

As great a player as Trout is, and as much as he keeps doing for a sucky team, I don't see why Bregman should be punished for the fact he's surrounded by so much talent. But he will be. 

Trout has the same amount of run production on that crappy team though.  If he played on the Astros, no telling what those numbers would look like.  That's the impressive part.  Trout also still has a significantly higher OPS.  I love me some Bregman, but there is no shame in admitting he's not quite up to an all time greats level right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

As great a player as Trout is, and as much as he keeps doing for a sucky team, I don't see why Bregman should be punished for the fact he's surrounded by so much talent. But he will be. 

I don't follow.  Trout is better, there's no punishment for anything.

Edited by WBT

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I don't think Bregman is being punished; Trout has just had the better all-around season so far...though Bregman has narrowed the gap over the last couple of weeks.

Trout is at .291/.438/.645 with 45 HR. Bregman is at .299/.418/.584 with 35 HR. Fangraphs gives Bregman the edge defensively but Trout a big advantage in terms of base running value - and thus, significantly higher WAR. 

Trout is just the best player in baseball - has been for years and probably will be for a few more. Any other AL player hoping to win an MVP award is going to have a high bar to clear. Altuve was helped in '17 by Trout missing some time. Betts won it last year with Trout-esque numbers (and Trout missed 20 games). 

Good news is that Bregman has basically done this two years running now, so he seems to have established himself as a perennial MVP candidate. If he keeps putting up numbers like this, he has a good shot of winning the award one of these years. 

• Like 2

My reasoning for the gap to be closed tighter than it really is is that even though Trout is a very good defensive player at the prime OF spot, Bregman has been a very good defensive player at 2 prime infield positions throughout the year.  Not only does he ball out at 3B he balls out at SS (thanks Correa). 

Obviously I still think Trout is a better overall player, but Bregman has had a MVP worthy year 

according to Richard Justice

The National League Most Valuable Player race has a third name in the mix: Anthony Rendon.

The Nationals third baseman, who is having his finest season, is the first player not named Cody Bellingeror Christian Yelich to receive a first-place vote in the sixth MLB.com MVP poll.

Bellinger and Yelich continue to hold the top two spots as they have in the other five polls. But unlike the American League, where Mike Trout got all 38 first-place votes and Alex Bregman got all the second-place votes, the NL race is tightening.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think Crane would break the bank to assure this doesn’t happen. I think the stros would be ok with him in National league or on a team like the angels that needs a lot more. They don’t want him in New York and if he wins the series in Houston this year he is going home to play or breaking the bank with the stros to keep this band together.

Edited by Dondrysdale1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Is there a contender that can afford Cole?  Isn't he going to push just about all of them in to the luxury tax?

Not sure. Yankees have Sabathia coming off the books. Martinez may opt out of his deal in Boston, but they need to pay Mookie. Dodgers seem unwilling to pass luxury tax threshold and have Seager and Bellinger due for big pay bumps in the next few years (they may be inclined to extend Bellinger soon, as the Astros did with Bregman).

Seems like ATL, SD,  AZ, LAA - someone like that could emerge.  

I’ve mentioned this several times before. The Astros have $156 million committed in 2020 for 8 players. Springer, Correa and Osuna will cost $30 million plus in arbitration. Luxury tax threshold will be $208 million. That doesn’t leave a lot of room to fill out the roster much less sign Cole to the contract he will demand. Even with dumping Reddick.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

• Like 1

I'll concede that Trout has long been the best position player in the game. It's idiotic to try to deny his numbers. I just feel that if Bregman doesn't fare well in the voting, it will be because some folks assume it's not all that hard to be productive in that spot for the Astros. Given the production of several of our other studs, he almost comes across as just another really good player. His defense (including splitting time at two tough positions) elevates him to a level well above that. 

23 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'll concede that Trout has long been the best position player in the game. It's idiotic to try to deny his numbers. I just feel that if Bregman doesn't fare well in the voting, it will be because some folks assume it's not all that hard to be productive in that spot for the Astros. Given the production of several of our other studs, he almost comes across as just another really good player. His defense (including splitting time at two tough positions) elevates him to a level well above that. 

It doesn’t really matter. Trout is the best player in baseball.  He’s a cut above everyone else.  Bergman is probably the second best in the AL this year.  But he’s closer to #3 than he is Trout.  

• Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

He is going to come in second.  Is that faring well enough?  I don't understand your point.

I'll concede that Trout has long been the best position player in the game. It's idiotic to try to deny his numbers. I just feel that if Bregman doesn't fare well in the voting, it will be because some folks assume it's not all that hard to be productive in that spot for the Astros.

I don’t understand this at all.

IMO it’s much harder to be productive in Trout’s position given the shit in the other 7-8 spots in the lineup.
In other words, on balance, Trout would have a lot fewer opportunities to see the same quality of pitches that Bregman would

1 minute ago, huge said:

He is going to come in second.  Is that faring well enough?  I don't understand your point.

Apologies for not being clear. In this year's race, coming in second to Trout would be appropriate. But I don't want to see him in third, because I don't think anyone else's overall season has been as good. For instance, if Chapman were somehow to end up above him, I'd be...chapped.

what's trout's stats against us cause that's really the only time i ever pay attention to him and it doesnt *seem* as if he's *that* great. obviously, he is the best player in the game but I'd be curious how to find out that versus HOU vs everyone else. i'm sure you can find on Baseball reference but i aint got time for that 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve mentioned this several times before. The Astros have $156 million committed in 2020 for 8 players. Springer, Correa and Osuna will cost $30 million plus in arbitration. Luxury tax threshold will be $208 million. That doesn’t leave a lot of room to fill out the roster much less sign Cole to the contract he will demand. Even with dumping Reddick.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

It will never happen, but they could clear some of that money by trading Correa...

45 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

what's trout's stats against us cause that's really the only time i ever pay attention to him and it doesnt *seem* as if he's *that* great. obviously, he is the best player in the game but I'd be curious how to find out that versus HOU vs everyone else. i'm sure you can find on Baseball reference but i aint got time for that 

Trout has been significantly worse against Houston than his average numbers (which is not to say bad, because these are still good): .254/.382/.501 compared to his .305/.419/.581 career numbers. His tOPS+ - a comparative measure of OPS for any sort of split in a player’s career vs. his overall performance (which would be 100)-is 77 vs the Astros. The only teams he’s fared worse against with a sample size of more than 30 games are the Twins, Tigers, and Dodgers, and the number of games with Houston is obviously greater than any of those others.

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Yeah, slightly down against HOU this year in a few games. But he really is that great overall. He's a unicorn, a once-in-a-generation player. He seems boring sometimes because he's so consistent, both within seasons and across seasons. 

I'm in my 40s, and I didn't think I'd ever see anyone as good as 90s/pre-steroids Barry Bonds. Trout is that good, arguably better. The dude just turned 28 and has more career WAR than Derek Jeter, Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, Eddie Murray, Pudge Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk, Carlos Beltran, Willie McCovey, Barry Larkin, Craig Biggio, Tony Gwynn, etc - legitimate, solid Hall-of-Famers (Beltran isn't in yet but probably will be). 

He's been 72% better than league-average strictly as a hitter for his career - that's better than everyone except Ruth (97%), Ted Williams (88%), and virtually tied with Gehrig (73%), Hornsby (73%) and Bonds (73%). Granted he hasn't had the career downside yet to bring the average down, but that's the company he generally keeps. 

Some great player - Bregman, Altuve, Betts, etc. - will have a year where they reach these levels, and they may be able to win the MVP...but Trout does this pretty much every year. He's the favorite each year, and all other contenders pretty much have to be great for 6 months to win it.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nah.  Keep him until he hits FA and then let him walk.  

Again, they won’t do it. But why lose him for nothing when you can get something for him now? Especially given 1) you can save the money of his increasing salary to reallocate elsewhere, 2) his production is a luxury not a necessity at this point, given the rest of the lineup, and 3) that production is mostly hypothetical anyway, given that he hasn’t played more than 110 games since 2016? (And recurring back problems aren’t just going to disappear.)

Edited by formermav43