2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

you start Grienke, Urquidy first guy out of the BP 

There’s a fine line between being aggressive and getting greedy.   Try to close it out in six or stay the course for seven?   I lean towards starting Urquidy and hoping for an Anibal Sanchez/Brandon Backe outing.  We’ve seen him do it.  He keeps the ball down which is a big plus against the Jankees.  

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think you have to save Urquidy for Game 6 if we’re up 3-2. If we’re down 2-3 then you have to consider Cole on short rest. 

Or you let your nuts hang and run Urquidy out there on Thursday then you ensure Verlander and Cole both go on normal rest at home.

• Like 7

What the fuck are you guys talking about?
If there is a rainout, you start your 3rd best pitcher on full rest.

You don’t “give them game 4.” You don’t “stay the course for a 6/7 game series”. You don’t have your fourth starter be the first guy out of the bullpen when he will be needed to make a start on Saturday if you drop a game Thurs or Fri.

You take what the baseball gods give you and play your best players and stomp on their throats.
You don’t get more points for winning a series in 6 or 7 games vs only 5.

• Like 5

Let’s not overthink it.   It’s a four game series.  We need a split.  Yankees need a win.  That’s really hard to do, not even factoring in Cole and Verlander.  If the Yankees go Tanaka for G4, I think you definitely go Urquidy and watch their hearts break when we steal that game.   

Wed = rain

Thu = Greinke on full rest

Fri = JV on full rest

Sat* = Urquidy and friends 

Sun* = Cole on full rest

You use your best that's available on full rest to close out as soon as possible.  Who knows who could get injured in a game 6 or a game 7?  JV or Cole could crash through a glass table while having spider nightmares on Friday/Sat night.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Wed = rain

Thu = Greinke on full rest

Fri = JV on full rest

Sat* = Urquidy and friends 

Sun* = Cole on full rest

I don’t really disagree with this.  But I also get the sense that Urquidy is the kind of guy who can go out and steal one for you if you trust him rather than go with him because he’s the best available option.  Show some confidence in the kid.  

I really don’t get you guys (arguing Urquidy for game 4 on thurs), but whatever you think...in case of a rainout and you pitch Urquidy Thursday, your rotation is fucked for the WS if it goes 7. Urquidy is the only guy available on full rest for WS game 1.

Besides, Hinch already showed us how he’s going to play up 2-1 in a series (hint: aggressive)

In case of a rainout,

Thursday: Greinke vs Tanaka(full rest)

Friday: JV vs Paxton (full rest)

Saturday: Urquidy vs bullpen (that will be asked to pitch a third straight day after already logging 15.1 IP in the first 3 games).

If you can’t get 2 wins out of that, you have Cole on full rest on Sunday.

Gives you JV to close it out in Yankee Stadium on Friday if you win Thursday.

Or gives you JV to give you a 3-2 lead heading back home if you don’t win with Grienke.

Alternative is Urquidy pitching in Yankee Stadium in game 4 and Greinke backing him up. If Urquidy is going to pitch in this series, I’d prefer it at home and JV in Yankee Stadium.

Close this shit out. Don’t play for a 6 and 7 with JV and Cole.

Let them start WS games 1 and 2

• Like 4

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

I really don’t get you guys, but whatever you think...in case of a rainout and you pitch Urquidy Thursday, your rotation is fucked if it goes 7. Urquidy is the only guy available on full rest for WS game 1.

you worry about WS game 1 starter, after you win #4 v the yankees

• Like 4

I don’t really disagree with this.  But I also get the sense that Urquidy is the kind of guy who can go out and steal one for you if you trust him rather than go with him because he’s the best available option.  Show some confidence in the kid.  

I’m with you and I like Urquidy a lot, but we’re not a team that needs to “steal” anything.
We’re the 900 lb gorilla that won 107 games and don’t need to get cute setting up a rotation for games that don’t need to be necessary and leaves you playing all your aces as if there is no other series to get to
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Close this shit out. Don’t play for a 6 and 7 with JV and Cole.

Let them start WS games 1 and 2

I like the aggressive mindset.  But I don't like asking aces to go on short rest unless we're the ones facing elimination.  We already saw what happened to JV on short rest: it turned a 5-star pitcher into a 3-star pitcher.  I'm for saving Cole for Game 7 on full rest unless we're down 3-2.  The whole point of having Game 7 at home and Gerrit Cole is that it makes us about 85% to win that game.

And here's the thing: I genuinely believe that we can pitch Urquidy and Greinke in 4 and 5 and get a win.  The Yankees have scored 3 runs in the last 20 innings.  They're gonna hear about it for two full days with a rainout.  Hell, it's already in their heads.  

And if we can get a split without burning JV, they are done.  

Edited by TexArcher

I like the aggressive mindset.  But I don't like asking aces to go on short rest unless we're the ones facing elimination. 

Wut?I’m with you on Urquidy. I like him, but everything I’m talking about (assuming rainout) is full rest.

Greinke on Thursday

JV on Friday

That’s normal rest. 4 days between starts

Unless you’re going to go full Fondren on me in which case,

ba7ba56c3b03ef007b3e7ab0af5d7400.jpg

Yeah, I realized after I typed it that you weren't saying everything I was responding to.  But I do keep hearing people say we should go for their throats and pitch Greinke, then JV, then Cole on short rest, and we'll deal with Game 7 if it gets there.  I don't agree with the last two parts of that all.

Assuming rainout, I'd still rather see Urquidy on Thurs.  If he's going to pitch in this series, and he probably is, I'd rather it be in a Game 4 than a Game 6.  If we win Game 4, throw Greinke in Game 5 and hold back JV and Cole for the Houston games.  If we lose Game 4, throw JV in 5, then it's Greinke and Cole for the Houston games.  I think this rotation give us a great chance of coming home up 3-2 forcing them to beat two really good pitchers in our building.