2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Hell, Yordan, too.  I know he's young and he's looked lost up there, but if he gets a hit early and loosens up, he can do a lot of damage with that short porch in right and his ability to hit to the gap in that big left field.

Is it my imagination, or does Yordan get a WTF? Strike looking called on him that immediately changes the AB.    Dude is trying to be disciplined and selective, and it’s like the umps think he’s a scrub who doesn’t know the strike zone.

22 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Watching the highlights on MLB network this morning and I nearly died when they showed Didi’s fly out to the track because they overlaid Sterling’s radio call - “It is high! It is far! It is caught at the track.”   

I was watching the game at a large Houston sports bar and that swing/hit sucked the air out of the place. Then it exploded when Reddick made the catch.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why is everyone assuming Come doesn’t re-sign here? I may have missed something, but has he said that he is gone after this year? Or is everyone assuming that the payroll would be too high after signing him?

Payroll. Can't afford him...or match what NYY or LAA are going to offer him. 

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Hell, Yordan, too.  I know he's young and he's looked lost up there, but if he gets a hit early and loosens up, he can do a lot of damage with that short porch in right and his ability to hit to the gap in that big left field.

Keep sending him up there 

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

Payroll. Can't afford him...or match what NYY or LAA are going to offer him. 

We’d have to hope he likes being here and would like another ring. Or if we fall short, want to try again. Healthier CC (🤞🏻), LMJ back, McHugh back. 

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

Yep. He would have to hate money and love Houston. 

Unless he can start in 90 games for LAA while Trout hits all 9 positions in the lineup..... Houston is his best opportunity. If he comes back, we are again the favorites and LMJ helps a lot 

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why is everyone assuming Cole doesn’t re-sign here? I may have missed something, but has he said that he is gone after this year? Or is everyone assuming that the payroll would be too high after signing him?

Altuve’s contract jumps up 19.5 mil to 29 million hit

Verlander jumps up 5 million from 28 to 33 million

Greinke goes from a 4.5 mil hit to a 24.5 hit.

Bergman goes from a 2.5 mill hit to a 12.67 mil hit 

So for 4 players, last year that cost 54.5 million will now cost 99.2 million.

If they're not happy about the pitch tipping, that's on them, not the Astros. I'm not a fan of either team, its absurd it's being talked about in the notion that the Astros are cheating, it's as if ESPN and others want it to be so. 

I get that the Astros had someone with a phone doing something,  but no one is so stupid to do that in the playoffs. Quit tipping your pitches. 

Good news for the Astros, this is a big mind fuck for the opposing pitchers.

And they are going to have to sign some bullpen arms because not many are under contract for next year.  There's just no way to do it all with out going deep in to luxury tax territory.  The other thing is that long term contracts for starting pitchers rarely work out.  For every Verlander there are 10 guys whose velocity falls off a cliff in their early 30's.  Greinke used to throw 95 or 96 and can barely hit 90 anymore.  It wouldn't be surprising if he can't next year.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Young Guns 2020

they’ll also try to find the next Morton / Miley 

This.  They'll also hope to find the next Cole for that matter.  I think that might start getting harder as there are fewer dumb teams telling their pitchers to do dumb things but we have a pretty good track record.

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Young Guns 2020

they’ll also try to find the next Morton / Miley 

This is where we have a strength.. Pitchers want to come here so Strom can springboard them into their next massive contract. In addition to the Astros being a contender, they pitch home games in the AC.. Then divisional opponents have either AC or West coast air.. Its a great place to be..  

Idgaf about the costs of resigning proven players.

other franchises make it happen.  Pay the tax and do it.  Houston ain’t poor.  They get support like @ m therfucker from the fans.

I don’t want to hear that they cannot afford it. It’# not freaking Miami.

Edited by Iceman

6 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Idgaf about the costs of resigning proven players.

other franchises make it happen.  Pay the tax and do it.  Houston ain’t poor.  They get support like @ m therfucker from the fans.

I don’t want to hear that they cannot afford it. It’# not freaking Miami.

Plus if Fox really does buy out the regional AT&T sports networks, they are going to get a huge infusion of cash in TV money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Plus if Fox really does buy out the regional AT&T sports networks, they are going to get a huge infusion of cash in TV money.

What, is that a real possibility?  Getting the broadcast rights away from AT&T is the only way I will ever get the Astros on Dish.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Just back load Cole's contract with Bonilla deferrals. The only reason Cole should leave is because he wants to pitch somewhere else.

You also need your pitchers you have developed to take steps forward.

I agree with this mostly. Back load (maybe not go full Bonilla) eand if you have to take a hit on the luxury tax, then do it. Then you trade him in like 5-7 years when the team is probably out of its window, Verlander is retired, we and pay half his salary to that team or something for a year or two to incentivize.

1st Year of penalty isn’t that bad anyway. It’s only a 20 % hit. Then to make up for it in coming years I think we don’t resign Gurriel in 2020 and either trade Correa or let him walk in 2021.

We have a window to win multiple WS ‘s. You have to go all in. 

It’s almost a waste of $ to give all that $ to the position players As this team without Cole would have been a borderline playoff team IMO. I also don’t know if we make it out of the 1st round / divisional series due to the lack of depth in the bullpen.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Unless he can start in 90 games for LAA while Trout hits all 9 positions in the lineup..... Houston is his best opportunity. If he comes back, we are again the favorites and LMJ helps a lot 

To be fair, the yankees would be scary in a playoff series with Cole as their ace