[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Also I like Witt starting Tuesday. He looked pretty good his last 2 outings. Christ if he could be just 80% of what he was in ‘21 and early ‘22, we’re in business. 

Glad you’re okay with never winning a title. Glad just making it to Omaha is the standard for you. 

Pierce is 61 and a known asshole to staff and players. Good luck I suppose. Maybe he’ll retire and we will all be better off. Guy is a dud and was hired by some interim fuck 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, B00M said:

this is a romanticized recollection of Augie. Starting the year after his last championship…

2006: 41-21, B12 champs, lost in Austin Regional

2007: 46-17, B12 champs, lost in Austin Regional (at Dell)

2008: 38-22, 5th in B12, lost in Rice Regional 

2009: 50-16-1, B12 champs, CWS, National Runner up (LSU)

2010: 50-13, B12 champs, lost in Austin Supers (TCU)

2011: 49-19, B12 champs, CWS (0-2)

2012: 30-22, 3rd in B12, failed to make NCAA Tourney

2013: 27-24, LAST in B12, failed to make NCAA Tourney

2014: 46-21, 5th in B12, CWS, finished ~3rd

2015: 30-27, 5th in B12, lost in Dallas Baptist regional

2016: 25-32, 7th in B12, failed to make NCAA Tourney

So in Augie’s final 11 seasons, we missed the tournament 3 times and reached the CWS 3 times. 

David Pierce’s 7 seasons (6 if you remove the covid year we started 14-3) have produced 3 CWS appearances and he’s missed the tournament once. 

Claiming DP isn’t meeting our standard is ignorant and arguably fucking regarded. Like, a brief review of our last 20 years of results should probably be required before people post here. 

Twilight of his career and a few gut punch near misses, coupled with a 4 decade run where he won it all at least once every ten years, won it twice here in a four year stretch and captured the all time wins record. 

in recap, DP followed two of the greatest Texas coaches ever and is doing better in his prime than Augie in his twilight. At age 61 he may be doing fine but if he’s going to break through now is the time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, troph said:

Twilight of his career and a few gut punch near misses, coupled with a 4 decade run where he won it all at least once every ten years, won it twice here in a four year stretch and captured the all time wins record. 

in recap, DP followed two of the greatest Texas coaches ever and is doing better in his prime than Augie in his twilight. At age 61 he may be doing fine but if he’s going to break through now is the time.

You can't even try to compare Augie to Pierce. Augie is one of the greatest coaches in the sport and you don't just force that guy out unless there is a scandal. Augie earned the right to go out as he pleased.....Pierce has done nothing to let him dictate his own future.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You can't even try to compare Augie to Pierce. Augie is one of the greatest coaches in the sport and you don't just force that guy out unless there is a scandal. 

That’s what he did, I was just responding. If you want to say Augie wasn’t as good as our memories suggest and point to the twilight of his illustrious career to argue DP is meeting Texas standards, then comparisons are fair game.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You can't even try to compare Augie to Pierce. Augie is one of the greatest coaches in the sport and you don't just force that guy out unless there is a scandal. Augie earned the right to go out as he pleased.....Pierce has done nothing to let him dictate his own future.

This is so dumb. Especially from someone like you who continually points to results in every other argument you’ve ever made. It’s a result oriented business. Everyone coaches to get fired or be told it’s time. Even the legends. Augie coached his final 3-4 years without even knowing most of the names of the players on the team. He was a figurehead while Skip Johnson basically ran the day to day and we saw the results.

Good AD’s know when it’s time and strategize exits before things fall off a cliff. Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin allowed us to go over 700 days without winning a conference series because of they were either a) scared or b) holding onto the past.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

This is so dumb. It’s a result oriented business. Everyone coaches to get fired or be told it’s time. Even the legends. Augie coached his final 3-4 years without even knowing most of the names of the players on the team. He was a figurehead while Skip Johnson basically ran the day to day and we saw the results.

Good AD’s know when it’s time and strategize exits before things fall off a cliff. Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin allowed us to go over 700 days without winning a conference series because of they were either a) scared or b) holding onto the past.

Glad you said it....now we can fire Pierce because the results aren't what the standard should be.

What is the standard?

National championships....Pierce hasn't even made it to a championship series. Once national championships isn't the standard then just shut down the baseball program, especially for a top 3 program all time. 

Outside of 2021 we've been shit on at Omaha....but hey if you're happy with this then great....

image.png.baa893acee78301060df6a0a57df477d.png

image.png.87efe6b143ccba33ed09bc83b7c0809e.png

image.png.63546bd4c7e1cc45b45f5d5d532c727d.png

image.png.5ddbd4f133529ac1a9e0d4904d6f4136.png

No Big 12 tournament championships - "pointless, made for tv tournament" 

You want to be playing well at the end of the year and positioning yourself for a national seed. Instead we hear the excuse as above. 

image.thumb.png.e2c6c8d19c7daa4f8802586c1522e792.png

If we do better we are hosting a regional.

So we’ve had 4 years that have met the standard in the last 50 years?

And we've had 6 other years where we finished runner up....make the finals, win if possible. But yes national championships is the standard....always should be and any expectation below that is complacency. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And we've had 6 other years where we finished runner up....make the finals, win if possible. But yes national championships is the standard....always should be and any expectation below that is complacency. 

Who let you out of the recruiting board?? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Top 10 program in every sport?

Yes.  If you have a top ten program the CWS appearances, and once in a blue moon the titles, will take care of themselves.   At least that's his stated philosophy.  Are we that?   I guess we could have been if not for some bad luck on the off-season.   But the bottom line is we are not.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like a DUI?

And before Augie there was a scandal involving Gus and money from the camps involving his son.  

If you follow anyone around you can manufacture anything,  like right now a scandal is Pierce is not winning every game.  When no other coach has done this.  I'd like a consecutive stream of national championships too.   Peirce has made the "Elite 8" how many times?   He made the "Final 4" in 2021.

I'd hate to work for some of you.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yes.  If you have a top ten program the CWS appearances, and once in a blue moon the titles, will take care of themselves.   At least that's his stated philosophy.  Are we that?   I guess we could have been if not for some bad luck on the off-season.   But the bottom line is we are not.

So then it becomes a question of what is the cut-off. Is it if you aren't a top 10 program for back-to-back seasons? One season? 2 out of 3?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So then it becomes a question of what is the cut-off. Is it if you aren't a top 10 program for back-to-back seasons? One season? 2 out of 3?

You can't escape the judgment call element, but if the current season falls flat he will get one, maybe two years in the SEC to "fix it".  Postulating about what if he flip flops between subpar seasons and top 10 seasons is not a useful exercise.  It's always going to be a judgment call about "trajectory".  Right now he is not meeting the standard.

Edited by ClubWhatever

You can't escape the judgment call element, but if the current season falls flat he will get one, maybe two years in the SEC to "fix it".  Postulating about what if he flip flops between subpar seasons and top 10 seasons is not a useful exercise.  It's always going to be a judgment call about "trajectory".  Right now he is not meeting the standard.

Agree with this. He at least gets this and next year to show he can get the roster to a championship level and deliver. From there it depends on the combination of results, approach, available candidates, and money.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

By what argument have we not been a top ten program under DP? Who else has as many trips to Omaha since he took over?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

By what argument have we not been a top ten program under DP? Who else has as many trips to Omaha since he took over?

The ultimate question here is should he be replaced.  He's done enough that the answer now and probably next year is no.  But as of this moment, I don't think we are operating as a top 10 program.   Does a top 10 program not have a viable catcher or closer, and only one reliable starter?  If you want to say injuries are the difference and the current status is a fluke, that's fine.  In that case we will see a nice rebound next year in all likelihood and people like me will shut up.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The ultimate question here is should he be replaced.  He's done enough that the answer now and probably next year is no.  But as of this moment, I don't think we are operating as a top 10 program.   Does a top 10 program not have a viable catcher or closer, and only one reliable starter?  If you want to say injuries are the difference and the current status is a fluke, that's fine.  In that case we will see a nice rebound next year in all likelihood and people like me will shut up.

So you’re saying that for one year we aren’t a top ten program even though we’ve been a better than top 10 program when you consider his full tenure? 
Top ten programs have holes every year. This is college baseball. 

The injuries really did counter the expectations going into the season to a sizable degree. Having an every day first baseman that can hit for power from both sides of the plate would make our lineup go from good to great. We also wouldn’t have to deal with the ups and downs from O’Dowd. The Duke starting pitcher would have gave us more wiggle room with Hurley and Witt trying to figure it out. Then having a closer throwing 95 from the left side that is reliable, is pretty self-explanatory for what it does to a bullpen. Pierce totally fudged the catcher position, there’s no way around that and it shouldn’t happen at a place like Texas. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pierce at Texas. 

image.png.38eb1a249546fba2bc3524dd07cc43dd.png

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Yea.  Ain’t nobody getting fired 

While what he has done decision wise at times can definitely have me scratching my head.....he has come in here and given us 3 Conference Championships in 6 years with 3 trips to Omaha. Not exactly Gus' #'s,  but what would our fan base be doing if he had done this in his first 5 seasons here? 

Overall         Conf          Conf Rank              CWS ? 

29-22          12-15          7th                     Nope

23-32-1       11-18          8th                     Nope  ( * losing season)

36-26          17-13         6th                     NCAA Regional  (improving but NO CWS)

46-21          19-10          4th                    YES!  CWS (*0-2)

36-26          19-11         3rd                     Nope  (wah wah)

Spoiler

While he struck lightning in a bottle the next four years ( 😃 🤘).....those records above are the first 5 years of Augie here at UT. 

With today's mindset doe he get those next 4 yrs with 4 trips to Omaha and 2 NCs?

Edited by BillyGoatHill

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

While what he has done decision wise at times can definitely have me scratching my head.....he has come in here and given us 3 Conference Championships in 6 years with 3 trips to Omaha. Not exactly Gus' #'s,  but what would our fan base be doing if he had done this in his first 5 seasons here? 

Overall         Conf          Conf Rank              CWS ? 

29-22          12-15          7th                     Nope

23-32-1       11-18          8th                     Nope  ( * losing season)

36-26          17-13         6th                     NCAA Regional  (improving but NO CWS)

46-21          19-10          4th                    YES!  CWS (0-2)

36-26          19-11         3rd                     Nope  (wah wah)

Reveal hidden contents

While he struck lightning in a bottle the next four years ( 😃 🤘).....those records above are the first 5 years of Augie here at UT. 

With today's mindset doe he get those next 4 yrs with 4 trips to Omaha and 2 NCs?

Fair or not, Augie came on with more street cred and support than Pierce did. Therefore it was easier for people to overlook losing and use the ole “trust the coaches!”. Same thing with Beard having a preseason top 10 team and ending the year as a 6 seed while going 10-8 in conference play.

Meanwhile there are still people who bring up 8 years later where Pierce was in the pecking order of candidates and like to use factors like how tall he is to justify their feelings. There is a portion of the fanbase that would never be bought in no matter what the results were.

The way in which Mike Perrin conducted the coaching search with leaks left and right didn’t help one iota.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fair or not, Augie came on with more street cred and support than Pierce did. Therefore it was easier for people to overlook losing and use the ole “trust the coaches!”. Same thing with Beard having a preseason top 10 team and ending the year as a 6 seed while going 10-8 in conference play.

Meanwhile there are still people who bring up 8 years later where Pierce was in the pecking order of candidates and like to use factors like how tall he is to justify their feelings.

The way in which Mike Perrin conducted the coaching search with leaks left and right didn’t help one iota.

I knew (rightfully) that this would come up but the point still stands as far as his record and what he has done here already. AND don't get me wrong, I am still not the biggest fan of DP either.

And Perrin DEFINITELY screwed the pooch with the announcing of , leaks, and whole mess of doing it while other teams and their COACHES ( Schloss, O'Sull) were trying to prepare for the potential of a NC. Hindsight is 20/20 but the whole process should of been taken care of when Omaha was over. All Perrin accomplished was getting other schools having to give their coaches a raise and extensions on their contracts.

This season is far from over and DP has pulled off some pretty crazy shit late in previous seasons. While we had some returners and lots of young but unproven talent, who here really expected a trip to Omaha last yr ? That was gravy. Can he do it again?... Sorry, but I hope so. 

If not for Covid plandemic BS, he could maybe have had another trip to Omaha with most likely his best pitching staff when the 20 season was cancelled....14-3 with that team and then there is the fluke of last yr  playing on a field with high school lights. We are winning that game without that and that is another trip to UT Omaha campus. Easy to say, instead of 3 trips to Omaha, he could have 5 already.

But that's fucking baseball. Especially college baseball. 🤘

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I knew (rightfully) that this would come up but the point still stands as far as his record and what he has done here already. AND don't get me wrong, I am still not the biggest fan of DP either.

And Perrin DEFINITELY screwed the pooch with the announcing of , leaks, and whole mess of doing it while other teams and their COACHES ( Schloss, O'Sull) were trying to prepare for the potential of a NC. Hindsight is 20/20 but the whole process should of been taken care of when Omaha was over. All Perrin accomplished was getting other schools having to give their coaches a raise and extensions on their contracts.

This season is far from over and DP has pulled off some pretty crazy shit late in previous seasons. While we had some returners and lots of young but unproven talent, who here really expected a trip to Omaha last yr ? That was gravy. Can he do it again?... Sorry, but I hope so. 

If not for Covid plandemic BS, he could maybe have had another trip to Omaha with most likely his best pitching staff when the 20 season was cancelled....14-3 with that team and then there is the fluke of last yr  playing on a field with high school lights. We are winning that game without that and that is another trip to UT Omaha campus. Easy to say, instead of 3 trips to Omaha, he could have 5 already.

But that's fucking baseball. Especially college baseball. 🤘

I don't disagree with anything you said. If we hired Kevin O'Sullivan this summer and the dude went back-to-back seasons without making the tournament, people would be losing their shit. 

The last part of your post rings very true. It's college baseball. The best of the best are still going pro out of high school. Bullpens are an adventure, fielding is an adventure, light posts in stadiums are an adventure. 

At the end of the day it's a results business and the results have ranged from decently good to very good for 90% of Pierce's tenure. That said, I agree that the results have been much better than the process. And the process is likely not sustainable at its current rate. Weirdly, the biggest mistake of his tenure was bringing in Woody Williams. Not because he wasn't a good pitching coach but because the guy had never recruited a day in his life and based on what I understand he was getting murdered on the recruiting trail. It was a huge self-sack by Pierce to not recognize the issue before he hired him or structure the staff in a way where he didn't have to go out on the road. As a result, he had to fire his second pitching coach in two years and at that point, you aren't attracting any candidate worth a damn, there is no stability and player development/acquisition suffers. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Top ten programs have holes every year. This is college baseball. 

Yep. Pretty much everyone has limited depth. Few teams have 1-9 that hit .300. A team ERA of 4.00 gets you in or around the top 10 in the country.

If your starting catcher (and wasn’t he the #1 in Texas two years ago?) goes down, there’s probably a considerable drop off with #2. If your projected closer goes down, the next guy creates a hole elsewhere. Very few teams can go 3 deep at starter. We should feel comfortable that LBJ can battle any #1. Hurley needs consistency but is capable. Anyone judging Witt mostly on one appearance needs to be checked out or have their ass kicked. Particularly first start of the season on a cool night. He’s still building his mind as much as his arm.

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You just said Augie should’ve been able to coach here until the day he died and then said anything less than national championship expectations is complacency. How are you not calling for Augie’s head after 2013? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Yep. Pretty much everyone has limited depth. Few teams have 1-9 that hit .300. A team ERA of 4.00 gets you in or around the top 10 in the country

LSU pitchers not named Paul Skenes combined for a ERA close to 6.00 last year. They constantly were rotating weekend starters. They won every Friday night and then had to clinch their buttcheeks the rest of the weekend. We blasted on our pitching staff most of the year and we look up at the end and we had a top 25 ERA in the country.

I am not in any way pleased with how certain guys are performing but we seem to dissect our own warts so heavily we forget that other teams have issues too. Vandy currently has 2 weekend starters with ERA’s north of 7.

This isn’t 2013 anymore where if you score 4 runs it’s more than enough. And yes, I would expect 10 runs to be enough to beat Texas State and for a 11-3 lead to be safe. I’m speaking more to overall premises. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guessing some of you poster’s wives are complaining about you not meeting their “standard”

These assholes can speak for themselves but I got objective proof just an hour ago I’m doing alright…

IMG_4389.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

12–13 finals or championships? Probably another 10+ in the final four left playing.  Someone can check me but if that’s close then in 75 years we’ve had 25 deep runs in the post season. So 3-4 years per decade we ahould be one of the last few teams standing. That’s our standard. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

12–13 finals or championships? Probably another 10+ in the final four left playing.  Someone can check me but if that’s close then in 75 years we’ve had 25 deep runs in the post season. So 3-4 years per decade we ahould be one of the last few teams standing. That’s our standard. 

That’s not good enough. It’s just not.  

1 hour ago, B00M said:

You just said Augie should’ve been able to coach here until the day he died and then said anything less than national championship expectations is complacency. How are you not calling for Augie’s head after 2013? 

I wasn’t he won 2 championships I wish he woulda retired earlier but that didn’t happen. He still met the standard for a good 10 years.

1 minute ago, MontereyMX said:

That’s not good enough. It’s just not.  

Yeah it is.

LSU pitchers not named Paul Skenes combined for a ERA close to 6.00 last year. They constantly were rotating weekend starters. They won every Friday night and then had to clinch their buttcheeks the rest of the weekend. We blasted on our pitching staff most of the year and we look up at the end and we had a top 25 ERA in the country.
I am not in any way pleased with how certain guys are performing but we seem to dissect our own warts so heavily we forget that other teams have issues too. Vandy currently has 2 weekend starters with ERA’s north of 7.
This isn’t 2013 anymore where if you score 4 runs it’s more than enough. And yes, I would expect 10 runs to be enough to beat Texas State and for a 11-3 lead to be safe. I’m speaking more to overall premises. 

Yes and let’s not forget how Skenes wound up at LSU. He was already a great player that began to focus on being a one -way player. Hard to buy they developed him when you referenced their other guys not throwing up many zeroes.

Giving up double digits in back to back games is never a positive. A quick scan of last year shows we did not lose if we scored double digits. We lost one scoring 9 and another scoring 7. Everything else was 6 or fewer.

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Cause he’s was dropped on his head and started drinking at age 3

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here