[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Repetition and practice never ends for mlb players 

this drill is great for little leaguer’s to mlb players. 

Yeah practicing fundamentals is key at every level - mostly so it stays crisp and automatic so mental energy can be reserved for situational awareness and decision making. Which is what most of the rest of practice should be reserved for. IMO practice should pretty much be the same at all levels - the difference being skill level and effectiveness (coaching impact and player skill progression) on in game performance. But show me the first college or pro team not devoting substantial time to fundamentals and I’ll show you a guaranteed losing team.

Edited by troph

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I don’t want to hunt for the quote but I don’t think the next coach is going to give two shits if Pierce got fired despite some relatively recent good performance.  It’s too storied a program, too much money, too much potential-someone great will happily take that on.

Agreed. This is Texas baseball for fuck's sake.

19 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

These guys are human. They absolutely will raise an eyebrow if a successful coach is pushed out the door with an overall resume that would make 98% of schools throw a parade. And if the coach himself doesn't raise an eyebrow, his agent certainly will. 

I'm not sure about that. This is probably the best job in the country. You think a coach wouldn't take the football job at Alabama if they fired a guy for only seriously contending for a national title once in 7 seasons?

The expectation at Texas is clear and any coach wanting the job needs to understand that. 

18 hours ago, petscii said:

I know we ran off Barnes and Smart decided he'd rather coach anywhere but here.

Barnes got really shitty at his job towards the end and Shaka was an abject failure here. Also - comparing Texas basketball to Texas baseball like it's apples to apples is asinine. Texas baseball has more top 2 finishes than Texas basketball has sweet sixteens. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. This is Texas baseball for fuck's sake.

I'm not sure about that. This is probably the best job in the country. You think a coach wouldn't take the football job at Alabama if they fired a guy for only seriously contending for a national title once in 7 seasons?

The expectation at Texas is clear and any coach wanting the job needs to understand that. 

Barnes got really shitty at his job towards the end and Shaka was an abject failure here. Also - comparing Texas basketball to Texas baseball like it's apples to apples is asinine. Texas baseball has more top 2 finishes than Texas basketball has sweet sixteens. 

It's definitely top two or three, but I'm not sure it's currently the best. With LSU's recent winning history and current NIL support, I think they have a strong argument as best gig. With the resources they now have supporting baseball in Baton Rouge, it seems nearly impossible not to have an Omaha-caliber roster year-over-year.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Not seeing that. 

I was throwing Witt in there. Then LBJ. Witt is not there now, but the upside is there. It’s not a given, but we’ll compete if those two have successful seasons. Few teams run very deep with consistent starters. Wake was different last year and look where it got em. Tennessee had some big arms, but they were not great last year.

Any teams season comes down to 2 or 3 games series essentially. Every week in conference then the regionals and supers are that way too. You can lump the CWS in that. That changes a bit if you get in the losers bracket. Our best and reasonable hope is to get those where we want them to be.

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. LSU, Florida, Arkansas, Vandy, shit maybe even A&M would like a word. 

LSU, Florida, Arkansas and Vandy have all been breathing the same air as Texas for a while now. And all 4 have strong NIL programs (or in Vandy's case the equivalent of NIL with how they manipulate scholarship rules). A&M obviously doesn't have the history but they do NIL quite well and Schlossnagle won't take no for an answer on anything. 

I don't say that to knock the Texas job because it's an elite job, but judging how good a job is just so different than even 5 years ago. It's no longer about just prestige and past success. 

I’m still not understanding how we have a staff full of guys who can’t hit 90 mph. It’s fine to be a soft-tosser if you have control and can hit your spots, but our 88-89 mph guys don’t have command either!   If you are going to have a staff who consistently falls behind the batters, might as well be guys that throw 95+ and have potential.  Being a “premier” program, no reason we can’t get a bullpen full of these flamethrowers. 

56 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It's definitely top two or three, but I'm not sure it's currently the best. With LSU's recent winning history and current NIL support, I think they have a strong argument as best gig. With the resources they now have supporting baseball in Baton Rouge, it seems nearly impossible not to have an Omaha-caliber roster year-over-year.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. LSU, Florida, Arkansas, Vandy, shit maybe even A&M would like a word. 

I think it's top 3 at worst with LSU and Vandy.

Arkansas? K.

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

I’m still not understanding how we have a staff full of guys who can’t hit 90 mph. It’s fine to be a soft-tosser if you have control and can hit your spots, but our 88-89 mph guys don’t have command either!   If you are going to have a staff who consistently falls behind the batters, might as well be guys that throw 95+ and have potential.  Being a “premier” program, no reason we can’t get a bullpen full of these flamethrowers. 

Shaw and Harrison are the main guys who aren't scraping 90, which is an issue because they are the two primary left-handed arms on this staff. But you are correct, this staff lacks nasty stuff that makes knees buckle. The only guys who possess true swing-and-miss stuff out of the pen are Boehm and maybe Fontenot. 

I saw a stat the other day that we struck out 384 batters in 601 innings in 2014. That is under 6 strikeouts per game. Mind-boggling stuff for a very good staff but as you said, if you can command 89 it oftentimes is harder to hit than 95. 

Really impressive and big series win. After getting embarrassed in that four-game losing streak and going out to Lubbock and taking two out of three there is very impressive. Well done, Texas! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce completely cleared out any other pitching coaches. Rodriquez, Miller, Longley, and Tulowitzki all their coaching experience has focused on position players. What the fuck, the dude is so thin skinned that any other pitching input has been banished from his program. It's hilarious that Del Conte let him do that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Pierce completely cleared out any other pitching coaches. Rodriquez, Miller, Longley, and Tulowitzki all their coaching experience has focused on position players. What the fuck, the dude is so thin skinned that any other pitching input has been banished from his program. It's hilarious that Del Conte let him do that.

I’m reminded of the old pace picante commercials when you say you’re surprised CDC let him do that… “get a rope.”

Edited by troph

My sunshine is fading fast. I think we'll do better than '19, mostly because I think the BigXII is shitty overall this year, but Omaha would be a miracle at this point. 

'19 was a clusterfuck of bad luck with injuries and whatnot, and yes we've had some bad luck this year, but I'm seeing regression instead of improvement especially with our pitching, which he's solely in charge of. 

My guess is that we'll have a really good offensive team next year and the year after (unless dudes transfer out, which is a definite possibility). But what good will that do us if our pitching still sucks and the defense looks like shit like it does this year? I think Pierce's job will depend on CDC making him get his shit together with his staff this offseason. It's reminding me of Mack with his stubbornness about GDGD. A good coach has to know what his weaknesses are and get help to fill those gaps. It feels like this year the opposite is happening and he's doubling down on his stubbornness and it's an investment that's failing. 

But who knows... maybe we'll go on a 3 week run and everyone will forget about this weekend because we'll be sitting on top of the conference standings. I just don't have hardly any confidence in that happening now. We have to see some adjustments that prove that he's recognizing problems and addressing them. Lately it seems like he's doing the opposite. 

I tend to get mad at posters who come in and blast the team after one bad weekend because a lot of them aren't used to the ebb and flow of a baseball season. This year I'm finding myself agreeing with them more and more because the easy targets to bitch about keep staying shitty. At some point real soon we need to see a spark in this team. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 games in and we are 10-8.  Okie Lite is 11-8 with an early season win over Arkansas.  It won't be long, and these guys are gonna jump over us in the poll. If we as a team are going to get serious about winning, we'll need to get serious about coaching, NIL, recruiting, and everything else.  Kids don't come here simply "because" anymore.  Without looking back in the thread somebody commented about LSU, Vandy, and Florida breathing the same air as we do.  We may have had a stranglehold on the CWS for decades, but those days are over.  Someone is going to wake up and smell the coffee soon.  Who will it be...CDC or DP?

If I were shopping for a new coach, I'd be making goo-goo eyes with Gary Gilmore or Mitch Canham.  Coastal Carolina and OSU aren't premier baseball talent destinations, but these guys are getting more done with less talent.  They must be doing something right.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

If I were shopping for a new coach, I'd be making goo-goo eyes with Gary Gilmore or Mitch Canham.  Coastal Carolina and OSU aren't premier baseball talent destinations, but these guys are getting more done with less talent.  They must be doing something right.  

I'd want a coach with national championship experience.  Savage at UCLA or something like that.

This is probably the beginning of the end for Pierce, imo. It’s coming 3 years later than I thought it would happen. As I posted earlier, the cracks in the program have been there for awhile, but to Pierce’s credit, a few times he managed to turn the team around and get to the CWS. I hope CDC’s patience does not extend past the end of next year. 

If you know he’s done get on with it. SEC is next year I’m not interested in Texas being a doormat in our most dominate sport. 

I’m usually super patient but I’m convinced CWS appearances is his ceiling. That’s not good enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Gary Gilmore has cancer and already announced he is retiring after this season.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

But what good will that do us if our pitching still sucks and the defense looks like shit like it does this year? I think Pierce's job will depend on CDC making him get his shit together with his staff this offseason.

No quality assistant is coming here to work for him. I have been someone who has defended him in a lot of areas but I can’t when it comes to staff hiring. Why would any outside pitching coach come here after the previous three guys lasted 3 years, 3 years and 1 year, respectively? He’s also shown no ability to hire quality coaches when given the chance. Woody Williams was a good on-field guy with the pitchers but from what I heard the dude couldn’t have sold a bottle of water to a person stranded in the desert on the recruiting trail and also had very little desire to recruit, which is why he was let go but it’s on the head man for not realizing that before he offered him the job. Steve Rodriguez provides close to nothing of value. Philip Miller was just kinda a guy. Didn’t really have a calling card but he had been with Pierce forever and was one of the few people he trusted. Caleb Longley is clearly the best assistant on staff, a volume recruiter and will be a head coach one day but he can’t do everything himself.

While the portal is helpful, you aren’t going to add enough quality pieces to this pitching staff to make a huge difference next year. Pitching takes time to develop and bake.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Kids don't come here simply "because" anymore.

People don't understand this and when someone brings it up, they misinterpret it as a knock on the program.  It's not a knock on the program at all.  In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the program.  It's a reflection of what young players in 2024 value.  Texas Baseball hasn't changed, the kids have.  

Hell, you can see it at the root - in Little League/travel ball.  Everything is all about individualism and style/swag.  Walk up songs, rings for every f'n tournament, pictures, videos, stupid haircuts, etc.  Baseball used to be about baseball; now playing baseball is only about 50% of it.  The other 50% is about attention, hype, Instagramable moments, etc.  It's more about being "special/unique", the kid's "personal brand", and less about the game itself.

It's no wonder when they get to college, they gravitate toward places that are extensions of the same.

Personally, I like Texas' "look/act like a professional" culture and I hope we never change.  But we're going to have to make up for it in some other way, whether NIL, facilities, or something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I haven't been this despondent about our program since 2019. 

In 2019 I knew we had good pitching and help on the way. 2015 was like, well, our 2015 football season. Just “oh shit we’re gonna suck for awhile…”

20 minutes ago, Hondo said:

People don't understand this and when someone brings it up, they misinterpret it as a knock on the program.  It's not a knock on the program at all.  In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the program.  It's a reflection of what young players in 2024 value.  Texas Baseball hasn't changed, the kids have.  

Hell, you can see it at the root - in Little League/travel ball.  Everything is all about individualism and style/swag.  Walk up songs, rings for every f'n tournament, pictures, videos, stupid haircuts, etc.  Baseball used to be about baseball; now playing baseball is only about 50% of it.  The other 50% is about attention, hype, Instagramable moments, etc.  It's more about being "special/unique", the kid's "personal brand", and less about the game itself.

It's no wonder when they get to college, they gravitate toward places that are extensions of the same.

Personally, I like Texas' "look/act like a professional" culture and I hope we never change.  But we're going to have to make up for it in some other way, whether NIL, facilities, or something.

I agree with your content and meaning.  Time and the kids have indeed changed.  I like our professional attitude also, but that in itself isn't going to Omaha.  I'm not trying to troll or start chit, because somewhere there is a solution.  I hope we find it quickly. 

LSU (according to Wiki) has 7 titles in a span of 33 years.   In first 33 years we managed 3, although the 4th does come along in '83.  We've managed 6 in 75 years.  Dad said "in matters of style go with the flow.  In matters of principle stand like a rock".   We may need to go with the flow if we want titles.  Titles sell TV time and merch, the things kids see the most.  That's how we're get and keep talent.

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 7:35 AM, troph said:

Yeah practicing fundamentals is key at every level - mostly so it stays crisp and automatic so mental energy can be reserved for situational awareness and decision making. Which is what most of the rest of practice should be reserved for. IMO practice should pretty much be the same at all levels - the difference being skill level and effectiveness (coaching impact and player skill progression) on in game performance. But show me the first college or pro team not devoting substantial time to fundamentals and I’ll show you a guaranteed losing team.

at mmp i saw some sloppy / poor fielding

you should have went, 3 days of great college baseball and the weather was great 

Two games a day was perfect 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I agree with your content and meaning.  Time and the kids have indeed changed.  I like our professional attitude also, but that in itself isn't going to Omaha.  I'm not trying to troll or start chit, because somewhere there is a solution.  I hope we find it quickly. 

LSU (according to Wiki) has 7 titles in a span of 33 years.   In first 33 years we managed 3, although the 4th does come along in '83.  We've managed 6 in 75 years.  Dad said "in matters of style go with the flow.  In matters of principle stand like a rock".   We may need to go with the flow if we want titles.  Titles sell TV time and merch, the things kids see the most.  That's how we're get and keep talent.

LSU baseball / their sponsors / their big cigars have built a damn nice program, facility, and damn lab in baton rouge. MLB players with zero ties to the school go to their facilities to improve their hitting in the offseason

UT needs to copy the LSU model but it take a big checkbook. what’s the point of ut athletics having all the money ???

Edited by tx 3 putt

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

LSU baseball / their sponsors / their big cigars have built a damn nice program, facility, and damn lab in baton rouge 

UT needs to copy their model but it take a big checkbook. what’s the point of ut athletics having all the money ???

I thought you pulled in 7 figs. After taxes. Go buy us a team, putt

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

LSU baseball / their sponsors / their big cigars have built a damn nice program, facility, and damn lab in baton rouge 

UT needs to copy their model but it take a big checkbook. what’s the point of ut athletics having all the money ???

They tell me competition builds improvement.  I'm all for it.

Unrelated to state of today's baseball affair, Wiki says our program started in 1894.  130 yrs of Longhorn baseball, I mean, well damn.  Records are incomplete for the first 2 yrs, but they show our first win was over Add-Ran College (now known as TCU) on April 21.  Guess who we play on April 21 this year?  127 years later to the day, we'll put to 'em again.  When will they learn?

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing that gives me hope for the future, we have a good young core. Galvan, Flores, Gaspo, Belyeu, Kennedy, little ardoin. Unfortunately I don’t see any Ty Madden or Bryce Elder types on the team. Maybe in the recruiting class coming in but we need to go full lsu and buy the top pitcher in the portal. 

Wonder how we’d look with Storm and Mercer. Probably a tad bit better. We’d need another starting pitcher and another bullpen arm. So it probably wouldn’t make that big of a difference. God dammit 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

One thing that gives me hope for the future, we have a good young core. Galvan, Flores, Gaspo, Belyeu, Kennedy, little ardoin. Unfortunately I don’t see any Ty Madden or Bryce Elder types on the team. Maybe in the recruiting class coming in but we need to go full lsu and buy the top pitcher in the portal. 

Wonder how we’d look with Storm and Mercer. Probably a tad bit better. We’d need another starting pitcher and another bullpen arm. So it probably wouldn’t make that big of a difference. God dammit 

have to bring in hired guns / nil babies to support your core. $$$

The on field talent evaluation and player development needs to be evaluated / questioned. You need more baseball players than athletes 

Anyone can sign 5 and 4 hs stars at Texas, but can they produce at a top 10 D1 school, can they grow / improve / be coached ?

Posted (edited)

I don’t think prohibiting gold chains, mullets and mustaches is the problem - and I hope we don’t change. That style is laughable they look like fucking goobers.

I think the problem is facilities (compared to LSU), NIL, recruiting, conference affiliation, and coaching - not necessarily in that order. I’d honestly consider the turf (as opposed to grass and dirt) a minor problem but a problem nonetheless. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

at mmp i saw some sloppy / poor fielding

you should have went, 3 days of great college baseball and the weather was great 

Two games a day was perfect 

I’d love to go, one thing I lost in my divorce was a wife that enjoyed Texas baseball. My current wife tolerates football but she has no care whatsoever for  baseball. It’s hard. Makes it easy when Texas blows but when they are good again, oof. If I end up single again I’m staying that way. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t think prohibiting gold chains, mullets and mustaches is the problem - and I hope we don’t change. That style is laughable they look like fucking goobers.

I think the problem is facilities (compared to LSU), NIL, recruiting, conference affiliation, and coaching - not necessarily in that order. I’d honestly consider the turf (as opposed to grass and dirt) a minor problem but a problem nonetheless. 

goofiness builds a locker room 

1 minute ago, troph said:

I’d love to go, one thing I lost in my divorce was a wife that enjoyed Texas baseball. My current wife tolerates football but she has no care whatsoever for  baseball. It’s hard. Makes it easy when Texas blows but when they are good again, oof. If I end up single again I’m staying that way. 

do what I do, suggest they bring a book and let them know wine is sold by the bottle at mmp 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

do what I do, suggest they bring a book and let them know wine is sold by the bottle at mmp 

I might. I’ve bribed her with pretzels and beer to go to DFF.

• Drool 1

5 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

18 games in and we are 10-8.  Okie Lite is 11-8 with an early season win over Arkansas.  It won't be long, and these guys are gonna jump over us in the poll. If we as a team are going to get serious about winning, we'll need to get serious about coaching, NIL, recruiting, and everything else.  Kids don't come here simply "because" anymore.  Without looking back in the thread somebody commented about LSU, Vandy, and Florida breathing the same air as we do.  We may have had a stranglehold on the CWS for decades, but those days are over.  Someone is going to wake up and smell the coffee soon.  Who will it be...CDC or DP?

I’d def try to see if you can pull Canham. Gotta do it before someone else does. Oregon State losing the PAC 12 affiliation and Texas going to the SEC should make us much more enticing 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I’d def try to see if you can pull Canham. Gotta do it before someone else does. Oregon State losing the PAC 12 affiliation and Texas going to the SEC should make us much more enticing 

You would think any decent coach from the pac12 would be easy to poach. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

6 minutes ago, Levi said:

You would think any decent coach from the pac12 would be easy to poach. 

I agree on both counts.  Going into the SEC and trying to snatch a coach from a conference we're entering would make bad blood.  Somewhere, some significant school is looking at Canham, may as well be us.  Plus, he's pretty young at 39, he could be here a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here