Getting old sucks

Hate

23 hours ago, RPM said:

Those rubber grippy mats work great for jar lids and, as it turns out, opening child lock bottles one handed. Set the mat on the counter and the bottle on the mat. Use the it to keep the bottle from spinning while you press and turn with your good hand. Senior hack.

Yep, we have been using those for 20 years.

I’ve had a bad back for decades, couple of surgeries, too many injections to count, etc. It’s been okay for the last few years until last week, some tinges of pain but I powered through it. I shouldn’t have. Been on a cane last 4 days, and graduated to a damn walker this afternoon! But at least my Dr’s office has failed to return the calls regarding a referral they promised twice to give me!

• Rage+1 1

41 so kinda old; broke a bone in my foot trail running.  Not sure how I’m going to be remotely non-surly the next 4-6 weeks without getting a run or workout in.

First real time I’ve hurt myself past 40 and fear shit like this will happen from time to time now.

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

41 so kinda old; broke a bone in my foot trail running.  Not sure how I’m going to be remotely non-surly the next 4-6 weeks without getting a run or workout in.

First real time I’ve hurt myself past 40 and fear shit like this will happen from time to time now.

You've led a lucky/blessed life, don't let negativity get you down. Kick ass and carry on.

If I get one more notice from AARP to join, I'm going to sue them for harassment and emotional damage.   I'm only 56.   

Also, where did all my muscle mass go? I don't want to be that old guy at the gym who's curling 2-lb dumb bells, but I'm heading that direction.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If I get one more notice from AARP to join, I'm going to sue them for harassment and emotional damage.   I'm only 56.   

Also, where did all my muscle mass go? I don't want to be that old guy at the gym who's curling 2-lb dumb bells, but I'm heading that direction.   

^^^This^^^ I've lifted weights at some level since 1976. Sometimes heavy, sometimes light. But I've always had some kind of muscle mass. When I passed 60 it all started going away. No matter how much I lift. And now the days after lifting weights hurts like hell.  

11 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I'm the same age and started getting shit from them 10 years ago. 

13 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I have a pair of 2 lb. dumb bells I'll give you so you can do the curls in the privacy of your own home... 😁

• Haha 1

I had my first colonoscopy done back in October at the age of 56.  All clear.  No need to return for 10 years.  Check.

I had to have a molar (root canal done several years ago) pulled last week because it became infected.  The worst pain ever.  Check.

Going in tomorrow morning for an ablation to take care of my SVT.  Check.

Next week I am going to have another tooth pulled and then have two implants put in.  Check.

I regularly play full-court basketball about 3 times per week during lunch if I am in town and not out traveling.  Many times I am playing against "kids" (late 20s to early 30s) that my two kids went to school with.  I will tell my kids that I met so and so today. Their response is "be careful dad, you are not as young as you used to be".  Check.

When I stand up after sitting for a while I sound like of bowl of Rice Crispies cereal as my knees and ankles pop.  Check.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:48 PM, tx ind said:

Look at it this way, you're going to get good at predicting weather.

• Haha 1

Watching my wife--two years younger than me and takes much better care of herself than I do--continue to have medical issues is wearing on me emotionally. In the 20 years we've been married the worst issues I've experienced have been a (severely) sprained ankle and the occasional bout of back spasms. She's hit her medical deductible this year before the start of March and her HSA is on fumes. She's been under anesthesia for procedures twice this year already, and this morning had a steroid injection in her cervical spine. Next week she's having an old filling replaced which will include root canal/crown.

We've always joked over the years that everything that misses me seems to inflict her. Except it's not funny anymore. I'm feeling ridiculously guilty and powerless, and although she hasn't had any super serious issues, in the past 18 months she's had surgical procedures on her foot (hook 'em, Kris Stockton), wrist, scapula, and now neck. 

There's no more powerless feeling than watching someone you love deal with pain.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I planted five boxwoods in my front flowerbed last weekend to replace some that died, and that evening I had to go to the store to get some icy hot for my knees they ached so bad

Trimming mine with hedge trimmers kills my replaced and repaired shoulders.

10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Watching my wife--two years younger than me and takes much better care of herself than I do--continue to have medical issues is wearing on me emotionally. In the 20 years we've been married the worst issues I've experienced have been a (severely) sprained ankle and the occasional bout of back spasms. She's hit her medical deductible this year before the start of March and her HSA is on fumes. She's been under anesthesia for procedures twice this year already, and this morning had a steroid injection in her cervical spine. Next week she's having an old filling replaced which will include root canal/crown.

We've always joked over the years that everything that misses me seems to inflict her. Except it's not funny anymore. I'm feeling ridiculously guilty and powerless, and although she hasn't had any super serious issues, in the past 18 months she's had surgical procedures on her foot (hook 'em, Kris Stockton), wrist, scapula, and now neck. 

There's no more powerless feeling than watching someone you love deal with pain.

Jesus dude that's rough.  You guys are polar opposites of me an my wife.  She has never had a stitch other than a C section, never had a broken bone or anything.  I on the other hand.....shit, fuggetaboutit.

And yes it's hell when a family member is suffering.  I'd rather it be me any day.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Those suck real bad. But at least (in most cases) they'll pass. Start pounding liquids 

Actually wasn't bad.  While driving to the office I was a little uncomfortable and felt like I needed to pee.  Opened up the shop and went to take a leak and small stone shot out.  Had to do a double take.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Actually wasn't bad.  While driving to the office I was a little uncomfortable and felt like I needed to pee.  Opened up the shop and went to take a leak and small stone shot out.  Had to do a double take.  

Cool, got lucky.  Second time I had one it made me puke just from pain

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Starting to get random unexplained bruises sometimes. Donated blood the other day and my arm looks like Courtney Love after a bender

Get your platelets checked.

I need surgeries on both knees. Walked all around Austin CC at the Dell yesterday without issue and then tweaked my knee trying to slide into a window seat on a plane.

I have no idea if they are worth a damn, but I've heard about A Place for Mom

Honestly I thought about buying into one of these Seniors only places (not final medical, but retirement.) But I'm looking for expat opportunities. Belize and Costa Rica are high on the list.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1