Denver "legalizes" magic mushrooms

Beau Vine

Denver is poised to become the first city in the nation to effectively decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms.

After closing an early vote deficit Tuesday night and early Wednesday, final unofficial results posted late in the afternoon showed a reversal of fortune — with Initiative 301 set to pass narrowly with 50.6 percent of the vote. The total stands at 89,320 votes in favor and 87,341 against, a margin of 1,979.

The Denver Elections Division will continue accepting military and overseas ballots, but typically those numbers are small. Results will be certified May 16.

“It’s been one hell of a 21 and a half hours,” Initiative 301 campaign manager Kevin Matthews said. “If these results hold, this is an example of the absurd comedy of the great metaphor. Against all odds, we prevailed. This is what happens when a small team of dedicated and passionate people unite under a single idea to create change.”

ADVERTISING

RELATED: Find out who your new Denver City Council member is — or if you have to vote again

Denver’s vote has attracted national attention. While efforts are afoot to get psilocybin-related measures on the ballot in Oregon and California in 2020, Denver hosted the first-ever U.S. popular vote on the matter, according to organizers. An earlier effort in California last year failed to qualify for the ballot.

Though Initiative 301 attracted no organized opposition, critics of Colorado’s legalization of marijuana lamented the prospect of Denver blazing yet another trail they see as misguided and potentially harmful.

The measure essentially tells police to look the other way on adult psilocybin use.

“We’ll see what the final numbers are, but we’re a little stunned to see a 7,000-vote flip overnight on that,” said Jeff Hunt, director of the Centennial Institute at Colorado Christian University, who initially questioned on Twitter whether vote-tampering was involved. “We’ll continue to fight the growing drug culture. Denver’s becoming the illicit drug capital of the world. The larger issue here is not good for our city.”

the-spot-wordpress-logo.png
Colorado politics from city hall to the halls of Congress, sent every Thursday.

He added: “Marijuana has brought more problems than it’s solved to our city and our state, and if we continue to go down this track, we’re going to continue to see Colorado get in worse and worse shape.”

Supporters extolled emerging research showing potential health benefits with psychedelic mushrooms. The measure likely was put over the top by younger voters, who tend to cast their ballots closer to or on Election Day, even though all registered voters receive their ballots in the mail about three weeks earlier.

Last fall, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted psilocybin “breakthrough therapy” designation for its potential to help with treatment-resistant depression, a status that speeds up the development and review process for a medicine containing the substance.

What Initiative 301 tells police to do

As written, I-301 directs police via ordinance to treat enforcement of laws against possession of psilocybin mushrooms as their lowest priority.

It’s similar to decriminalization measures approved by Denver voters for marijuana years before Colorado’s Amendment 64 won statewide approval.

“Our victory here is a clear signal to the rest of the country that we’re ready for a broader conversation around psilocybin and its potential benefits,” said Matthews, a 33-year-old stay-at-home dad.

Psychedelic mushrooms still would remain illegal to buy, sell or possess, with the latter crime a felony that carries a potential punishment of up to a year in prison and a fine. But Initiative 301 backers hope to lower the risk users face of getting caught with mushrooms.

Past marijuana efforts are instructive, though. Denver voters signed off on decriminalization measures in 2005 and 2007, but that didn’t stop police from enforcing the law — though drug law-liberalization advocates say the public discussion prompted by the ballot initiatives helped pave the way for statewide legalization in 2012.

“I’ll say this: We’re looking forward to creating a positive relationship with city officials,” Matthews said. “We have the resources ready to make sure the Justice Department, the (district attorney’s) office and the Denver Police Department have the education they need to implement this in a way that’s fair.”

Initiative 301 requires the city to create a panel to monitor the effects and implementation of the ordinance.

Tide turned Wednesday

Some national media outlets as well as the Centennial Institute wrongly called I-301 a bust late Tuesday, based on the early results.

Related Articles

But the gap tightened throughout the night. By 1 a.m. Wednesday, when Denver Elections put out its last release before pausing counting for the night, the measure still was losing by 3.4 percentage points.

It overcame that margin in the next — and final — round of results shortly after 4 p.m.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

My daughter pointed out that they aren't legal; they're just "decriminalized."  Of course, she's probably snacking down on them in her apartment in Golden right now.

Doing them in Golden probably wouldn't be good as it doesn't apply there.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So now if you get caught it’s “only” a year in jail and a felony conviction for your job applications?

You won't get "caught" now. Also, I think Colorado is trying to move towards dropping possession from a felony to a misdemeanor (https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb19-1263). 

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

More stoners on the road? That's about the worst they could find.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/26/colorado-marijuana-impact-report/amp/

If i'm gonna be on the road with people under the influence, I'd much prefer a car coming at me at 26mph than one driven by some idiot on alcohol or opioids.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Boomers are fun

(but seriously if I did them now I'd probably shit my pants beause I'm old)

Moderation my man, moderation. A little nibble ..............wait.  Another little nibble.... wait.. Anoooooother little nibbble...... ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaahhhhhh.......

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

If i'm gonna be on the road with people under the influence, I'd much prefer a car coming at me at 26mph than one driven by some idiot on alcohol or opioids.

Denver, so probably a scooter. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I dig the shrooms, but legal psychedelics ?  People out in the open trippin' balls ?

Its not unusual to see folks tripping in public establishments, and the lack of action to remove them makes me think there is no legal recourse or the police aren’t interested. And it’s not Joe and Suzie Suburbs either.

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Its not unusual to see folks tripping in public establishments, and the lack of action to remove them makes me think there is no legal recourse or the police aren’t interested. And it’s not Joe and Suzie Suburbs either.

Oh yeah, been to lots of dead shows, and the cops just looked the other way.  Just the thought of legally tripping in public seems strange.  Shrooms and acid can really fuck up your sense of reality like nothing else I know.

Psylocibin should 100 percent be a treatment people with anything from PTSD to clinical depression to anger management to severe stuttering can receive under the supervision of a trained medical doctor anywhere in the US. It's not really a recreational type of substance though as it's not particularly enjoyable and it can last a long time if you over dose. It does show a crazy ability in limited studies to alter mental conditioning towards a focus on community and positive disposition though. 

16 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

More stoners on the road? That's about the worst they could find.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/26/colorado-marijuana-impact-report/amp/

I’d go with “people driving stoned out of their minds.” People driving in the mountains impaired doesn’t work well.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

So what are some of the verifiable and indisputable problems that marijuana has brought to Colorado? 

From someone who lives here, the answer is none.  Everyone who wanted to smoke before recreational was legal had a medical card.  And those that didn't had a dealer.  Now they just go through normal channels.  I don't remember the last time I heard someone in CO talk about hitting up their dealer for weed.  You just go to the dispensary.

And I don't even smoke.  But getting rid of (or severely limiting) the drug dealing side of things is a net positive in my book.  So are the tax revenues.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Psylocibin should 100 percent be a treatment people with anything from PTSD to clinical depression to anger management to severe stuttering can receive under the supervision of a trained medical doctor anywhere in the US. It's not really a recreational type of substance though as it's not particularly enjoyable and it can last a long time if you over dose. It does show a crazy ability in limited studies to alter mental conditioning towards a focus on community and positive disposition though. 

My experiences, most of which were long ago in college, dont agree with your synopsis.

The last time I fucked around with shrooms was at a buddies cabin a few years back. Admittedly, I overindulged, so I just walked off into the woods and chilled out solo for a couple of hours in the moonlight. Got my shit together and rejoined the festivities later. Always enjoyed them most when out in nature (float trips, camping, etc...). 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Some of the best buzzes I've ever had have been on mushrooms.  It's a great drug, and as long as you don't go gobbling down too many it's a great ride for 3-6 hours depending on your dosage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Man last time I had them I went to a MLS game. It was like I was watching the game in super 4k planet Earth mode. Everything was so clear and beautiful

I'll never ski any where again if I can get shrooms for a night or two......

38 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You really think it's going to change much?  It was sketch before recreational weed.  16th Street Mall is a hoot, though.

It’s not going to get better. That’s for sure. Are shrooms fairly cheap and easy to get? I dunno. But if the answer is yes then I cold see it getting noticeably worse 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s not going to get better. That’s for sure. Are shrooms fairly cheap and easy to get? I dunno. But if the answer is yes then I cold see it getting noticeably worse 

At least 300 didn't pass or that would have made downtown 100x worse.

7 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Sorry but fuck this and fuck them trying to piggyback it off of weed. That shit isn't even legal federally yet and you want to start pushing mushrooms? 

Fucking hippies trying to fuck up weed. 

If it causes a backlash against weed then I definitely say fuck shrooms, and the damn, smelly hippies...

Shrooms are a goddamn blast when the proper dose is taken and the environment is right. Like someone else mentioned, I always preferred to take them while out in nature or while camping. I did take them before Eye-ore’s Birthday one year and I had no idea what that celebration was all about. It freaked me out for a while, but I eventually settled down and had a blast.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If it causes a backlash against weed then I definitely say fuck shrooms, and the damn, smelly hippies...

We're just getting over the stigma of reefer madness and the gateway theory and you want to give these damn hippies the opportunity to start equating it to their substance of choice? 

No. No sir I will not sit idly by while these hippy fucks try to say their high grade shit byproduct is the same as my glorious bud that's still illegal. 

I'm all for baby steps, too.  I will say, I took shrooms, mescaline, and LSD in college, and again a few years after.  Absolutely messed me up each time.  Non functional.  I suppose the regular public intoxication laws would be suitable for controlling public behavior.  Lord help everyone if someone is tripping behind the wheel.