2019 US Open @ Pebble Beach

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I think Jordan will finish Top 5.  

I agree. Tiger could contend as well. There will only handful of holes where drivers will be hit. It's is definitely a 2nd shot golf course.  Tiger's iron  game has been stellar. it should be a great tourney with an inordinate number of contenders. i also think it's going to take double digit under par to win.

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 10:32 AM, Mileslong said:

The USGA is going to syringe the greens to keep them from becoming too fast. I hope they don’t slow them down too much. I’m glad to hear they are letting the rough grow. Erin Hills was the biggest joke of a US Open ever.

Bomb and gouge shouldn’t be in play at the US Open. You must have narrow fairways, thick rough and fast but fair greens, hopefully some nice wind as well.

Rory just said in an interview that he'll probably only hit 5-6 Drivers per Rd due to the set-up and high rough...

The U.S. Open Pebble Beach set-up is not a bombers course.... Could be one of the more competitive US Open's in quite awhile because it gives a lot more players a better chance to win.  Even Someone like Kevin 🎶Na Na Na🎶, Zach Johnson, or Jason Dufner might be on the leader board on Sunday...

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, housious said:

I used to hate him, but honestly, he's grown on me in recent years. I actually cheer for him now. 

Watched Poulter's appearance on Feherty's show and it completely changed my opinion of him.  Good guy, and fierce competitor.  Love to see him lose in Ryder Cup, but love what he brings to the Golf course!!

I used to hate Nick Faldo in his playing days and he's a favorite now. IP is kind of the same. He can be irritating as fuck on the course (especially during the Ryder Cup), but overall a pretty cool guy.

Whoever said, I love to hate him in the Ryder Cup is right. He's an annoying dildo, but fuck if he doesn't back it up when it matters. I can respect that as a fan, even if he isn't on my team.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-brooks-koepka-and-jordan-spieth-shut-down-us-open-champions-dinner

I, personally, was not invited to this dinner.  I have played Pebble though.  Looks like a pic of some pretty good gophers.

Three not dead guys missing from the photo.  Pavin, Fuzzy and someone else I'm not smart enough to figure out.

Edited by smwhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

I used to hate Nick Faldo in his playing days and he's a favorite now. IP is kind of the same. He can be irritating as fuck on the course (especially during the Ryder Cup), but overall a pretty cool guy.

Whoever said, I love to hate him in the Ryder Cup is right. He's an annoying dildo, but fuck if he doesn't back it up when it matters. I can respect that as a fan, even if he isn't on my team.

I'd pick him to be on my team if I was the coach.

3 hours ago, housious said:

I used to hate him, but honestly, he's grown on me in recent years. I actually cheer for him now. 

Yeah, I’ve turned on Poulter.  Social media has helped. He’s a good follow on Instagram. Shows he has a sense of humor.

I don’t think Robot Koepka has a sense of humor. 

Brooks should join the U.S, women's soccer team. Vaginas, bitching, etc.
Bitching about people bitching is still bitching. I respect the hell out of what he's done, but spurned bitch isn't a good look. If thats what he thrives on, then good for him. I do appreciate he doesn't provide canned, media ready answers. But we know his position now and he needs to slow it down.

Anyone else not liking the west coast start?
I've become a huge fan of The (British) Open Championship and waking up to tv coverage, then following it at work on Thur & Friday.
It seems weird to catch guys teeing off after I get out of work, and having play likely go until the nightly news. I think that I'll like it on Saturday & Sunday - but right now it just seems off.

And I'm projecting that rounds will be 5+ hours today, maybe close to 6 hours; the USGA must expect slowness as their is 3:30 between the morning and afternoon flights, meaning that over 3 hours to play 9 holes and clear the tee boxes. And bring a jacket or sweater, as it's barely supposed to get to 60° for the tourney.

i actually like brooks's take on the course and the bitching.  i love that he calls out all these fucking whiny asses.  every fucking year, bitchy professional golfers complain and whine about how difficult the course is, the putting surfaces are too fast, blah blah blah.  you're a fucking professional golfer.  this is supposed to be the ultimate test of your ability to hit a perfect shot every time and your mental game if you slip up.  it made one of the most seasoned vets in mickelson completely melt down and just start whacking balls that were still moving last year...i fucking love that and i love that brooks calls these fucking pussies out for being challenged and crying.  hit the fairway and hit the green and you will be fine.

the whole not being in a promo or whatever thing though would seem to be below a guy with four majors in the last few years.  why are you worried about that shit?

this will not be an ideal course setup for brooks over the next few days...his driver has a natural cut that will roll off, bombers are neutralized, etc...  i'll be curious to see how he plays.

if it wasn't for the 12th hole at the masters seemingly breaking molinari completely, i would say this would be one he makes a run at.

USGA App on Roku  currently showing live US Open coverage 😀

Reminder....

Live Coverage:  FS1, FOX,  usopen.com, and the U.S. Open app.

Live championship coverage will begin at noon EDT on Thursday, June 6 when groupings and tee times are announced on FS1’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd show. FS1 will broadcast “Wednesday at the U.S. Open” on June 12 from 12:30-3 p.m. EDT.

The first and second rounds of the 119th U.S. Open on June 13-14 will air on FS1 from 12:30-7:30 p.m. EDT. The opening two rounds will be followed by coverage on Fox from 7:30-10:30 p.m. EDT each day. Fox will provide coverage of the third round on Saturday, June 15, from noon-10 p.m. EDT and the fourth round and playoff, if necessary, on Sunday, June 16, from 2-10 p.m. EDT.

Additionally, the USGA will provide live streaming from the U.S. Open on its digital platforms – usopen.com and the U.S. Open app. The USGA’s global digital coverage will include exclusive live action on three channels – two featured groups channels and a featured holes channel – on usopen.com and the U.S. Open app during the first and second rounds of the U.S. Open (June 13-14).

https://www.usopen.com/2019/articles/fox-to-broadcast-45-hours-of-u-s--open-coverage.html

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, TonyTexas said:

Looks like the USGA might have gotten gun shy and  taken the setup too far the other way.

Yep. They are afraid of the players revolting if they set it up too difficult, so they end up going too far the other way. I'd expect it to be significantly drier and faster on Sunday. 

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Yeah, I’ve turned on Poulter.  Social media has helped. He’s a good follow on Instagram. Shows he has a sense of humor.

I don’t think Robot Koepka has a sense of humor. 

Robot Koepka = Robot Tiger in the 2000's.  A few Perkins skanks will loosen him up - eventually.

20 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Scott Piercy, that's right, threating to run away with the early lead. He's at -5, through 6 and has a 3 shot lead.

Should encourage those teeing off, that there are low numbers to be had on the course.

Yep, my dumb ass had Piercy as my 6th selection in my $100 DraftKings entry...until I edited my lineup to get stronger at the top.  Ouch 

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i actually like brooks's take on the course and the bitching.  i love that he calls out all these fucking whiny asses.  every fucking year, bitchy professional golfers complain and whine about how difficult the course is, the putting surfaces are too fast, blah blah blah.  you're a fucking professional golfer.  this is supposed to be the ultimate test of your ability to hit a perfect shot every time and your mental game if you slip up.  it made one of the most seasoned vets in mickelson completely melt down and just start whacking balls that were still moving last year...i fucking love that and i love that brooks calls these fucking pussies out for being challenged and crying.  hit the fairway and hit the green and you will be fine. 

the whole not being in a promo or whatever thing though would seem to be below a guy with four majors in the last few years.  why are you worried about that shit?

this will not be an ideal course setup for brooks over the next few days...his driver has a natural cut that will roll off, bombers are neutralized, etc...  i'll be curious to see how he plays. 

if it wasn't for the 12th hole at the masters seemingly breaking molinari completely, i would say this would be one he makes a run at.

The players complaining is warranted in this case. The USGA has made a mockery of some of the greatest courses in the country. You are ok with Brooks calling out the players, but not ok with the players calling out the USGA. It may come across as whining, but I don't enjoy watching the US Open nearly as much as the other majors. That's squarely on the USGA. Narrow fairways, penalizing rough, tough hard fast (but fair) greens. Success.

Instead they decided to change that strategy and turn it into a putt-putt championship. All that they have been missing was a windmill to hit it through.

It is less a test of golfing ability, strategy, and nerves than it used to be. I'd rather find that out than watch the best in the game lag putt from 10' because they don't want it to roll 20' down the hill.