2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Plus linsanity as your 3rd point guard.  

Nm, just saw it there at the end. 

It's a good point though about many key players from the West.  I'll be honest though, all the western conference chest thumping is very SECSECSECish.

It might be, but the west has been significantly better for what... two decades?

41 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The only reason it wouldn’t have been a dynasty without KD is because KD probably stops that dynasty on another team? You guys get that, right?

The money they spent on KD they could've chased any number of free agents who , while not KD, would appreciably fortify the team that already redefined modern basketball, the arguably best backcourt in history, the winningest regular season team in history, the best-trending team of that era, the one with 3 all stars including a defensive stopper.

FAs in 17/18 include Paul George, Blake Griffin, Gordon Hayward, Jokic....

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah, if he's not even practicing yet, I have a hard time believing he'll be on the court Monday night.

He hasn’t forgotten what Draymond said to him earlier this season. He hasn’t forgotten that Steph said there were “smiles” in the huddle after watching him limp off with a possible Achilles tear.  

I think he’s just fine being cautious with his injury and watching the team lose without him. I don’t fault him either, it’s actually good for his legacy if they do. Plus he gets to say “I told you so” to all those high schoolers he argues with on social media.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The money they spent on KD they could've chased any number of free agents who , while not KD, would appreciably fortify the team that already redefined modern basketball, the arguably best backcourt in history, the winningest regular season team in history, the best-trending team of that era, the one with 3 all stars including a defensive stopper.

I agree with you for the most part, but KD is a top 10 all time player. Probably the best natural scorer ever. Guys like that can go to any team and eventually they will get theirs, and by theirs I mean rings. Give him a pg that’s a true pg, and a couple 3 and d guys and he’s winning no matter where he goes. GS would still be GS because they would’ve built their team accordingly, but KD would absolutely get his.

43 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

GS should have said "thanks, but no thanks" to KD.  Got it.

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I bet Danny Ainge is thinking right now "Man am I glad I have Jaylan Brown & Marcus smart instead of Kawhi."

Yep, I thought he messed up not getting PG.   I KNEW he messed up not getting Kawhi

13 hours ago, Zavala said:

KD isn't playing, and I don't really care Kawaii left the Spurs. He's getting revenge on the team that took him out of the game for 2 years with their dirty play.

I'm not much of an NBA or NFL fan, but I wouldn't act like KD is a 'lifetime Longhorn legend' or anything. I was a Freshman when he was at Texas. He was one (half) and done, didn't drag AJ, DJ, and Damion very far in the tournament. Hasn't been involved with the university since.

Not this dumb shit again

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get a 2014 Finals vibe. One team is just clearly playing better and the other team can't do anything about it. Raptors playing beautiful ball. Kawhi playing better than he did that Finals run. That ended the Heat dynasty. Not sure if this will end the Warriors dynasty.

I agree it's a similar vibe but LeBron was playing in 2014. No way Toronto is up 3-1 with a healthy Durant on the floor. 

The warriors are a shell of who they are at full strength. Kd is out, klay is probably at 70%, boogie is out of rhythm, looney is hurt and playing but they are not healthy and if they were Toronto would not be up 3-1. 

If there is ever an asterisk championship this is definitely one.

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The warriors are a shell of who they are at full strength. Kd is out, klay is probably at 70%, boogie is out of rhythm, looney is hurt and playing but they are not healthy and if they were Toronto would not be up 3-1. 

No championship has an asterisk. Every NBA championship team has had "luck" in some form or fashion. The 2015 Warriors benefited from the Kyrie injury, the 2016 Cavs probably lose in 5 if not for Draymond's nut kick, Bogut's injury and Steph being hobbled, the 2017 Warriors benefited from the Kawhi injury, the 2018 Warriors benefited from the CP3 injury, and the 2019 Raps benefited from basically the entire Warriors team exploding. 

Asterisks are just for opposing team's fans to make themselves feel better. For example, I will forever believe that the 2006 Mavs were robbed of a title by the NBA refs and therefore the Heat championship has an asterisk.  

• Like 4

Siakam is a Chris Webber clone. With KD (a taller version of Bernard King) GS would have a chance. Sadly, it's over for them.

Next NBA season is going to be epic with so much reshuffling.  Don't be surprised if Zion wins ROY and MVP and takes NOP to the WCF. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yeah, fuck that. A big part of winning a title is staying healthy enough to do so. Injuries affect the postseason every year. The Warriors have gambled on a top heavy lineup for 3 years (as they should have to sign KD), and they finally lost.

Meanwhile, Toronto rested Kawhi as much as possible, and traded for Gasol, pushing good players to the bench.

Edited by aggie08

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The Warriors were way over the cap last year even without KD's cap number.  There was no way for them to sign any of those free agents.  They may have been able to trade for them, but what?  Nick Young (who was signed with an exception iirc)?  WTF are you talking about?

20 minutes ago, NowThis said:

With KD (a taller version of Bernard King) GS would have a chance. Sadly, it's over for them.

You were pretty much driving the "Golden State is better without KD" bandwagon (Vic was your only passenger, but still) a a month ago.

And please stop making player comparisons.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

No championship has an asterisk. Every NBA championship team has had "luck" in some form or fashion. The 2015 Warriors benefited from the Kyrie injury, the 2016 Cavs probably lose in 5 if not for Draymond's nut kick, Bogut's injury and Steph being hobbled, the 2017 Warriors benefited from the Kawhi injury, the 2018 Warriors benefited from the CP3 injury, and the 2019 Raps benefited from basically the entire Warriors team exploding. 

Asterisks are just for opposing team's fans to make themselves feel better. For example, I will forever believe that the 2006 Mavs were robbed of a title by the NBA refs and therefore the Heat championship has an asterisk.  

100% this!!

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The Warriors were way over the cap last year even without KD's cap number.  There was no way for them to sign any of those free agents.  They may have been able to trade for them, but what?  Nick Young (who was signed with an exception iirc)?  WTF are you talking about?

Correct, if KD leaves, they cannot replace him.    Boogie can only be re-signed for the MLE so he is more than likely gone too.    GSW's only hope is KD coming back.  Especially when you factor in Klay and Dray wanting max money\

39 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You were pretty much driving the "Golden State is better without KD" bandwagon (Vic was your only passenger, but still) a a month ago.

And please stop making player comparisons.

lots of people were on that bandwagon. I challenge you to name a better Siakam comparison , physically - position - stats.  Of course webber was a featured player, but name someone more similar. 

17 minutes ago, NowThis said:

lots of people were on that bandwagon. I challenge you to name a better Siakam comparison , physically - position - stats.  Of course webber was a featured player, but name someone more similar. 

the ceballos comp was much better.

15 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Any slashing 3/4 that’s played ever in the NBA is a better comp than Chris Webber.

• Like 2

You can't really compare KD replacements say last year due to the cap, you have to go back to when he first signed.  Who else could they have gotten instead and would that team have been able to win titles?  They would not be as good with almost anyone else they could have gotten but it's certainly possible they could have still had a dynastic type of run with another very good star instead of KD.  Or perhaps possibly a deeper bench overall and a good but not great wing could have still been a very formidable team.

I really feel for Durant right now.  He's got to be frustrated that he's not back, and it's clear now that he could possibly come back and try and lead a compelling narrative/story for his career.  At the same time, if his body is still not responding well, there is no doubt some risk - possibly severe risk - in coming back prematurely and he's just about to likely sign his last huge contract.  I have to imagine some of his people are telling him to take the safe route and not play and at the same time Durant has got to be itching to play.  It doesn't look like the uber team of Kawhi/Durant on say the Clippers will happen, so I'm not sure he is in title contention right away next year if he leaves Golden State.  I'm not buying Kyrie/Durant being enough to win a title personally without more strength on the roster.  (not KD's fault, Kyrie is good just not someone I trust right now 100%)  

47 minutes ago, NowThis said:

lots of people were on that bandwagon.

No, there really weren't. Find me one talking head--dudes who get paid to be contrarian--who would actually put their name behind that. No one with a clue actually believed that Golden State is better w/o KD.