2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

People don't say that about the Warriors 2015 championship.  How many teams did they face that year with hurt players?  And that was the year Love and Kyrie were hurt in the finals, yes?

Not anymore because they've won two more since then.  But injuries we're totally part of the narrative during that finals.  

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Exactly. This is no different than the ‘15 championship. That was trending towards a very competitive finals, yet nobody really talks about that today. They just shit on Lebron for being 3-6 in the finals . 

Not even just the Finals. That playoff run, every single series the Warriors faced a team who had a significant injury. Then in 2017 you had Zaza injure Kawhi on purpose. Who knows what happens the rest of the way but the Spurs definitely steal game 1 on the road. Warriors easily dispose of them after that injury. Last year you had Paul go down while up 3-2. Although some say that cancels out with KD being hurt this year and Rockets were healthy. Even though Paul's injury was much more devastating to the Rockets than KD is to the Warriors. But the Rockets blew big leads in both games 6 and 7 so can't really feel sorry for them.

I really don't care much who wins, I just want to see a competitive series. 

So last night, Kyle Lowery went into the stands trying to save a loose ball, and fell on a courtside fan. Another fan in the crowd next to him shoved Lowery and said some words to him, then was ejected for his actions. Turns out that fan isn't just any fan but Mark Stevens, a minority owner the Warriors. Should be interesting to see what the NBA and Team do about this, I don't think I have ever seen any owner have a physical altercation with an opposing player before. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So last night, Kyle Lowery went into the stands trying to save a loose ball, and fell on a courtside fan. Another fan in the crowd next to him shoved Lowery and said some words to him, then was ejected for his actions. Turns out that fan isn't just any fan but Mark Stevens, a minority owner the Warriors. Should be interesting to see what the NBA and Team do about this, I don't think I have ever seen any owner have a physical altercation with an opposing player before. 

Yea, I've been really interested after seeing it last night.  Front row, so you know they had money and was wondering what if they worked for the organization, but to be a minority owner!  LOL!  He acted like an asshole.  Warriors news release:

Lowry called for the fan to be banned..... uhm, right.

But I think it would fucking hilarious if the forced a sale and bought his ass out.... LOL!

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, he ain’t coming back. This was always a decoy.

I never thought it was a decoy.   Them being cryptic about his status has always been related to his pending free agency IMO.

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Most of the Warriors fans were claiming he was just upset Lowry ran into him...except he was two seats over and Lowry never even touched him. Just reached over and shoved him like a little bitch. It's clear in the video. Warriors really do have the worst fans.

19 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just imagine how big this story would be if Lowry simply pushed him back. That is such a weak ass punishment given his connection with the warriors.

Yep and the truth is that almost everyone would take the "fan's" side saying "you can't go after a fan even if they touch you."

The guy should get the Don Sterling treatment and be forced to leave the league and his investment.  That being said, the value of his investment is up massively so the only downside is that he doesn't get to go to games anymore.  Him being booted might make him millions.  Him being suspended and fined is the only way to hurt his pocketbook AND his ego, not just his ego.

KD being out has to have been planned.  He isn't coming back and it has everything to do with his free agency if he doesn't play.  I think the warriors are just fine winning like they used to and letting KD sit it out.  I also think that KD is ready to ride off into the sunset and has little desire to battle to get back on the court.  

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not enough IMO.  Making him divest....

Yep. They made Sterling sell the Clippers, you said racist things. Supposedly he was yelling racist things at Lowry in addition to pushing him. Also the woman that was yelling at Lowry after he pointed out Stevens pushed him to the official should be checked out as well.

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The guy should get the Don Sterling treatment and be forced to leave the league and his investment.  That being said, the value of his investment is up massively so the only downside is that he doesn't get to go to games anymore. 

Well, it's about loss of future growth.  He can already capitalize on any gains to-date by selling whenever he wants.  Though even for a literal billionaire, a half-mil fine is still a kick in the ass (imagine someone taking away the keys to 2 Ferraris).  And the ownership stake is probably more about privilege and indulgence than pure financial decision...so yes that would hurt his ego a bit.

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Makes the series better.

the last few years it felt like the winner of the NBA championship was pre-determined. The raptors have a shot.

Toronto is already up 2-1 - I think the series would be entertaining either way. It might change the winner, but unless you're a Raptors fan who cares. 

I don't think one of the best players in the world sitting "makes the series better". Even though 2017 was a 5 game series watching LeBron and Durant go at it was very entertaining imo and they still played a lot of close games. 

16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

KD being out has to have been planned.  He isn't coming back and it has everything to do with his free agency if he doesn't play.  I think the warriors are just fine winning like they used to and letting KD sit it out.  I also think that KD is ready to ride off into the sunset and has little desire to battle to get back on the court.  

I'm having a hard time deciding which sentence you wrote is the stupidest.  Jesus.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah so in case math is too hard and you don't have a good concept of what having billions of dollars actually means, a half million fine is 0.02% of his net worth, so I'm calling bullshit on it being a kick in the ass.

I'm not as impressed by basic arithmetic as I am by what 500k can buy.  It doesn't have impact on his NW much but it has a hell of an impact when spent.  A vacation condo anywhere in the world.  Fill half of Oracle arena with kids.  F round-trip flight for 100 of his employees.  A generous donation to any charity.  Another few sports cars in his garage.

I don't imagine a guy who built his wealth from scratch scoffs at something like that.

Can a shaggy billionaire chime in and give us their take?

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I'm not as impressed by basic arithmetic as I am by what 500k can buy.  It doesn't have impact on his NW much but it has a hell of an impact when spent.  A vacation condo anywhere in the world.  Fill half of Oracle arena with kids.  F round-trip flight for 100 of his employees.  A generous donation to any charity.  Another few sports cars in his garage.

I don't imagine a guy who built his wealth from scratch scoffs at something like that.

By no means am I shaggy 1% but I'd imagine the fine to be similar to $500-$1000 for normal folks.     Not gonna break you but its surely not something you wanna just give up without getting something in return.

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the guy couldn't give two shits about 500k. he's probably already made it back and then some.

It is much more about the money for these people. The fact he is banned from all team activities for a whole year and being shunned and shamed by the organization will hurt much more. They have many more events than just attending the games. They have a lot of functions and luncheons and what not. He can't go to any of those and mingle with all the people in those circles there. But it is much  deserved. No place in the game for that. Especially from someone in his position. But a lifetime ban is ridiculous. For that. Now Lowry said he was throwing out racial slurs and his wife was yelling, too. I'm all for him getting stripped of his minority stake in the team and being banned for good if they can be substantiated.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

They should probably start winning, then. 

8-8 in the Finals without KD, 8-1 with. 

It really is too bad Klay got hurt for like the first time in his career. I guess we’ll never know if this team DESPERATELY needed KD. They obviously need him if Klay isn’t healthy. Steph can’t do it by himself. And I know Klay is playing tonight, but that dude would’ve played in a wheelchair tonight if he had to 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

By no means am I shaggy 1% but I'd imagine the fine to be similar to $500-$1000 for normal folks.     Not gonna break you but its surely not something you wanna just give up without getting something in return.

no, a billionaire being fined 500k is not analogous to a normal person (median household income in the USA is $59k) being fined $500-$1000. 500k doesn't register for a billionaire. it's literally just numbers on a screen somewhere that he will never see. he will never notice that $500k being gone; he won't suddenly find himself in desperate need of that $500k a few days later like any normal person might after being fined $500-$1000. The fine means literally nothing to him. Literally. Nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It really is too bad Klay got hurt for like the first time in his career. I guess we’ll never know if this team DESPERATELY needed KD. They obviously need him if Klay isn’t healthy. Steph can’t do it by himself.

They clearly need him against elite defenses. They just don’t have anyone else capable of creating the kind of shots he does at or near the rim on a consistent basis.

i can't believe i'm having to explain this to adults, but let's get this straight right now: a billionaire being fined 500k is the equivalent to a normal person being fined a buck or two. an amount so small that it's deemed inconsequential. an amount so small that it will have zero impact in your life, ever. the fine means nothing to him. Vic is absolutely right that it's the hit to his social status, reputation, and ego that will hurt him. he will never even so much as notice the fine. ever. 

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They clearly need him against elite defenses. They just don’t have anyone else capable of creating the kind of shots he does at or near the rim on a consistent basis.

He’s the cheat code against elite defenses, yes.  They don’t have to try very hard when he’s out there. With that argument, every team needs KD except Houston 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i can't believe i'm having to explain this to adults, but let's get this straight right now: a billionaire being fined 500k is the equivalent to a normal person being fined a buck or two. an amount so small that it's deemed inconsequential. an amount so small that it will have zero impact in your life, ever. the fine means nothing to him. Vic is absolutely right that it's the hit to his social status, reputation, and ego that will hurt him. he will never even so much as notice the fine. ever. 

He is estimated to be worth $2.3billion.  So if you compare it to a person who has a net worth of $100k then its about a $21.72 fine.  Less than a parking ticket in Tulsa.  Knock his social status is the right way to punish him.  Donald Sterling treatment is the only way to go.  Like I said though, he is going to come off making a lot of money.  The warriors were purchased by the current group for $450M.  They are now valued at $3.5B.  If he owns even just 1% of the team then he has a gain of $30.5M on his investment.  Not a bad parting gift if you have to carry the moniker of "guy who got forced to sell an investment".

Still, needs to be done.  Just as the worry was that players see fans in a different light and be more apt to interact with them after Malice at the Palace, you can't have ownership participating in attacking players.  That gives fans the balls to say "if he can do it I can do it to."  You have to crush that right away.  I'd even say that you might need to make a rule that any employees/owners of teams have to sit a certain distance from the court depending on their employment level.  Owners should be in the boxes, not looking over the shoulder of a player (opposing or not) in the huddle or on an inbound play.

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He’s the cheat code against elite defenses, yes.  They don’t have to try very hard when he’s out there. With that argument, every team needs KD except Houston 

Houston gets KD and they become a contender and if you believe that he is the best player and the warriors can't win without him (like so many here do), then the warriors are no longer a contender.  So OKC and the Warriors are no longer competition after a KD departure.  The Blazers are pretenders and Denver is nowhere near ready.  Right now, Houston absolutely needs him just as much as any team... unless he goes East.

Edited by Jhawk

The #1 thing (by a million miles) that seems to never get taken into with this whole "how badly does GS need KD" argument is the fact that if KD weren't on GS he'd be on another contender and likely playing against them. There wouldn't simply be a KD vacuum, he'd be somewhere else most likely competing against GS in May or June. That matters. 

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The #1 thing (by a million miles) that seems to never get taken into with this whole "how badly does GS need KD" argument is the fact that if KD weren't on GS he'd be on another contender and likely playing against them. There wouldn't simply be a KD vacuum, he'd be somewhere else most likely competing against GS in May or June. That matters. 

You can't say that with any authority.  Look at Lebron.  He didn't make the Lakers a contender and many would say that Lebron is better than KD.  If KD went to the spurs, Jazz, Portland, Denver then yeah.  They are probably playing the Warriors in the conference finals.  If he went to the heat he isn't getting to the finals.  With the way teams are composed now you can't say that 1 player is going to make a contender out of any team. There has to be some sort of base talent level on the team.

Unless you are saying he was only going to go to a contender and not try to build his own team.  Then I agree with you unless he went east, I think the landscape in the east is a lot different than the west with a lot more unknowns because many of those teams are so young..

Edited by Jhawk

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

That was my point from the jump. I don’t want to rehash this necessarily but that’s why it was stupid to even go to GS. He was that dude that was on track to take them down. It was him and Lebron. Because you’re 100% right. Top 10 all time players don’t bitch out and team up with the juggernaut. They have the competitive nature to say “fuck that team.” But he did.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

18 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Seems fair to me.  I'd probably ban him from sitting in the first 5 or 10 tens rows or whatever.

I don't think it's fair. I think his behavior should be encouraged. Getting fans to entice players into brawls might be the only way I start watching regular season NBA games again.