Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

spacer.png

I think we have a winner for The Florida game cookoff!  I used to like to try and cook whatever the other team's mascot is.  Buffalo Burgers for Colorado oh so long ago was fun, but a baby gator is probably pretty good if done right. And would be fun for gameday!  Thanks for the link on this purchase.

Edited by horn4life
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, horn4life said:

spacer.png

I think we have a winner for The Florida game cookoff!  I used to like to try and cook whatever the other team's mascot is.  Buffalo Burgers for Colorado oh so long ago was fun, but a baby gator is probably pretty good if done right. And would be fun for gameday!  Thanks for the link on this purchase.

vlcsnap-2014-02-08-22h03m21s223.png

I've never had Gator that tasted even remotely decent.  It looks interesting, but I think the joke will be on you trying to eat all that...  Maybe make it into a smoked gator dip, but otherwise no thankyou.

I had fried gator tenders in St. Martinville a long time ago that were overall very good. They sort of taste like chicken, until you get to a bite every now and then (usually the tail meat) that makes you say, “okay, that’s not chicken.”

Edited by South Austin
derp

Reptiles aren’t made for eating unless you’re at Great Depression levels of poverty. I’ve had gator. Frog legs , rattlesnake, turtle, tortoise, and they all suck balls. Doesn’t taste like chicken. Tastes like swamp.

WTF? Turtle soup at Commanders is one of the single greatest dishes in the world. I’ve loved frog legs since I was a kid (they don’t taste like chicken, they taste like frog). Rattlesnake is definitely on the dry side, I like to smoke it and eat it like jerky. And I love fried gator, done right.
Then again, I like stuff with flavor.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Reptiles aren’t made for eating unless you’re at Great Depression levels of poverty. I’ve had gator. Frog legs , rattlesnake, turtle, tortoise, and they all suck balls. Doesn’t taste like chicken. Tastes like swamp.

Bitch, please.  You’ve obviously never had iguana while in Tijuana. 

• Like 1

WTF? Turtle soup at Commanders is one of the single greatest dishes in the world. I’ve loved frog legs since I was a kid (they don’t taste like chicken, they taste like frog). Rattlesnake is definitely on the dry side, I like to smoke it and eat it like jerky. And I love fried gator, done right.
Then again, I like stuff with flavor.

I’ve had the turtle soup at Commanders. I’ve had terrapin soup in in Maryland. I’ve had snapping turtle at deer camp. Had a tortoise XO sauce in Taipei. Had snake cooked on charcoal after it was skinned alive at a Hong Kong market. Had gator sauce piquant in Breaux Bridge, Lafayette, and Church Point LA, and fried and barbecued all over. I’ve had camel hump, donkey, grubs, sea cucumber and don’t like eating any of it either. So more of it for you.

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve had the turtle soup at Commanders. I’ve had terrapin soup in in Maryland. I’ve had snapping turtle at deer camp. Had a tortoise XO sauce in Taipei. Had snake cooked on charcoal after it was skinned alive at a Hong Kong market. Had gator sauce piquant in Breaux Bridge, Lafayette, and Church Point LA, and fried and barbecued all over. I’ve had camel hump, donkey, grubs, sea cucumber and don’t like eating any of it either. So more of it for you.

Have you had cuy (guinea pig) in Peru? Very good. 

Have you had cuy (guinea pig) in Peru? Very good. 

I’ve had nutria various ways in Louisiana. I was polite but it was stringy and had that swampy essence. I liked it best barbecued; they were braised and then put in the grill. I’ve also had beaver which was not good. It’s like a big Guinea pig I guess. If not farmed like in peru but wild. I guess if you’re a Guinea pig rancher in Peru they have different grades. Here’s a prissonngrade, here’s a wagyu one.
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

So, I decided to not fuck around today and went extra hard on the noach…

Gentlemen, I present to you Smoked Brisket Pastrami Nachos with Serrano queso, grilled onions and chili avocados:

3ec9f2dbe40e2d20db860b722386c6e3.jpg
2bd3f91fc910ad846b1f30a5013d9620.jpg

Username doesn’t check out. 

These would have been true greatness with a mere change to individual composed nachos vs stacked. Where did you get the pastrami?

Pieous in Belterra

Feel you on the traditional approach, but this was a volume play as I was starving and didn’t want to take a fucking platter upstairs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sadly, I can't find a chorizo here in the KC area I really like. We even went to a Mexican market for this one. It was good, but not what I've gotten in Mexico, or from chorizo San Manuel in Edinburgh, which is what I grew up on. Might have to break down and just have some shipped.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:18 AM, Mo Horn said:

Sadly, I can't find a chorizo here in the KC area I really like. We even went to a Mexican market for this one. It was good, but not what I've gotten in Mexico, or from chorizo San Manuel in Edinburgh, which is what I grew up on. Might have to break down and just have some shipped.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Made some Jollof rice that ended up borderline too hot.   I think I got a hot batch of habaneros, anyway, It tastes good but have been eating it pretty slowly because of the heat.  Full under eye sweat after 3 bites.

The other day I decided I needed to dilute it down a bit.  I fried up an egg and diced ham, and put it on the rice with a dollop of Sour Cream.  This might be cultural sacrilege, but it's tasty as hell.

On 7/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, ERhine said:

Tuna ceviche:
4de42d462da8151a90226500746ae86f.jpg

The shrimp/crab combo looks excellent, but I have to comment on the ceviche.  I had never made it myself until about two years ago.  It's incredibly easy, damn tasty, and an easy way to impress guests.  I usually use snapper, but I got some fresh tuna on my last trip to Rosemary Beach and used it for ceviche.  Good stuff.